batting tips

Re: batting tips

maverick;399839 said:
Have a set routine
Trust your routine and ability

This applies especially to younger batsmen like myself (15 years old). I take my time, step away from the crease to compose myself before each ball and then play. This rubs some impatient players and umpires up the wrong way but the batsman is the most important player on the pitch so they can do nothing but wait for you, really.

Oh and a tip for hitting in the air.
Just because you are hitting in the air doesn't mean you go straight over the fielders head. Try and pick the gap also. If you mess up the trajectory of the shot you can still find the gap and get away with it.

Batting isn't as easy as many people make it. The basic principals are to look to hit in the "V" (between mid-on and mid-off) in your first 10-20 deliveries you face. Then you should look to rotate the strike until you find your confidence and start playing your shots. When batting in a limited overs match, you are slightly more aggressive in the manner of attacking the new ball or against the spinners and medium-pacers but the best batsmen always look to play straight or into the gaps without taking too much risk until they get confidence.

JAmler;408909 said:
Batting isn't as easy as many people make it. The basic principals are to look to hit in the "V" (between mid-on and mid-off) in your first 10-20 deliveries you face. Then you should look to rotate the strike until you find your confidence and start playing your shots. When batting in a limited overs match, you are slightly more aggressive in the manner of attacking the new ball or against the spinners and medium-pacers but the best batsmen always look to play straight or into the gaps without taking too much risk until they get confidence.

No need to wait 10-20 deliveries to look for singles. You should be doing this right from your very first ball. Be positive. Drop in a gap, run, get up the other end.

riversidestrangler;409009 said:
No need to wait 10-20 deliveries to look for singles. You should be doing this right from your very first ball. Be positive. Drop in a gap, run, get up the other end.

Depends really. If it's an unlimited overs match, then I myself would play, and suggest to play, in the V and just look to keep the ball out. It would give me time to adjust and from there I would subjectively decide on how I feel when to start looking to actually play shots with the intent of scoring. I would also ask the guy at the other end to keep me off strike for a bit while I adjust to the light and conditions etc.

In a limited overs match then no way. Go for it, as you say, be positive and attack the fielders, drop it into the gaps.

Boris;409048 said:
Depends really. If it's an unlimited overs match, then I myself would play, and suggest to play, in the V and just look to keep the ball out. It would give me time to adjust and from their I would subjectively decide on how I feel when to start looking to actually play shots with the intent of scoring. I would also ask the guy at the other end to keep me off strike for a bit while I adjust to the light and conditions etc.

In a limited overs match then no way. Go for it, as you say, be positive and attack the fielders, drop it into the gaps.
Yes, obviously you attack in limited overs cricket but look at players like Jonathan Trott or Jacques Kallis, they hardly hit sixes but they have fantastic limited over records. As a club cricketer, I personally look to take singles off good bowlers and then when spinners or part-timers come on, I focus to attack.

playing in the V is the most crucial piece of advice young players throw out the window then they play. work in the nets and work out what works best for you. once you get to 10 or 15, you've probably faced 25+ balls. if you're not set or composed then, then chances are its not gonna happen. if so, keep patient and scrap your runs. no batsman looks glorious everytime that bat - even Tendulkar or Watson look shaky initially.

G’day fellas, cricket season is starting over here in Australia. This year for my club we’ve got some exciting talent and experience coming over to play for us. Since his gig with the Queensland Bulls, Stuart Law has been signed to play a few games in 2nd grade this year. Sam Northeast or Fabian Cowdrey from Kent are set to come over and play for us, with Ivan Thomas who played against Australia in a tour game is also signed to play for us this year. Former New Zealand opening batter Peter Fulton and spin bowling all-rounder Alecz Day who played for Wellington is already over here for the first few rounds and current Queensland Bulls player James Bazley will vice-captain the 1st grade team. We have a few other international players coming over and some really good young talent from here already in the set up.

So we have a lot of experienced players set to play this season and it will be a great opportunity to play with and hopefully gain a lot knowledge from the experience of these players.

I’m also very interested to hear if you guys have any questions that I can ask these guys and hopefully get some really good answers for you. Some really quality and experienced batters coming over, so a great chance to hopefully get some answers for you guys on batting.

Thanks guys and hopefully we can get lots of questions and good answers.

Is there a recommended order in which you should learn to bat. I have the impression from all the training I've seen coaches doing that you should learn to play straight drives through the V as a starting point, but what next? What do you think is the next step? What are the easiest shots to learn? Or rather then most recommended after the straight drives?

Dave it isn't (or shouldn't be) the case that you get the MCC coaching manual and progressively work your way through learning specific shots imo. As you say, most start with playing in the V as that has a dual purpose being the basis of a sound defence and also then leads to the more attacking option of the drive down the ground.

Where to go next depends on a lot of factors, but you should consider 1) your strengths, 2) your weaknesses & 3) the cricket you play. Three should be pretty easy for you - lower order batter in club cricket where you are unlikely to face much quick, short pitched bowling, so you would probably be better looking to continue to play off the front foot and find options to rotate the strike rather than knock it out of the park. Part one and two is about where you have 'scoring options' and where you don't, the trick is then getting the right balance between cementing the strengths or developing solutions to known weaknesses (leg side in your case I guess). So, if I was you I would start by drawing a 'wagon wheel' of your existing 'shots' and try to work in additional options to balls you currently either struggle with or don't have a scoring option for, perhaps a leg glance might be a useful option?

Dave it isn't (or shouldn't be) the case that you get the MCC coaching manual and progressively work your way through learning specific shots imo. As you say, most start with playing in the V as that has a dual purpose being the basis of a sound defence and also then leads to the more attacking option of the drive down the ground.

Where to go next depends on a lot of factors, but you should consider 1) your strengths, 2) your weaknesses & 3) the cricket you play. Three should be pretty easy for you - lower order batter in club cricket where you are unlikely to face much quick, short pitched bowling, so you would probably be better looking to continue to play off the front foot and find options to rotate the strike rather than knock it out of the park. Part one and two is about where you have 'scoring options' and where you don't, the trick is then getting the right balance between cementing the strengths or developing solutions to known weaknesses (leg side in your case I guess). So, if I was you I would start by drawing a 'wagon wheel' of your existing 'shots' and try to work in additional options to balls you currently either struggle with or don't have a scoring option for, perhaps a leg glance might be a useful option?

Cheers Tony - Leg glance now you've said it is a definite one -especially as I'm still vulnerable weak in that zone.

Is there a recommended order in which you should learn to bat. I have the impression from all the training I've seen coaches doing that you should learn to play straight drives through the V as a starting point, but what next? What do you think is the next step? What are the easiest shots to learn? Or rather then most recommended after the straight drives?

I can tell you what we coach juniors.

When facing quick(ish) bowling, first focus on being able to "punch and deflect" the good balls. That is to say, get into line, on either the front or back foot as a ppropriate, play a straight bat shot, and be able knock the ball away for singles. No need for anything expansive.

You then want to think about cashing in against the bad balls. This generally means either pulling a long hop or cutting hard at something with a bit of width.

Against slower bowling, its really a matter of being about to read the flight and move into a good position whereby you're either hitting the ball on the full toss or on the top of the bounce. If you find you're in a good position, focus on hitting the ball hard and clean out of the middle of the bat.

Most slow bowlers at amateur level bowl too short and too slow: you will generally find that with a bit of practice you can quickly identify the short ball, move smoothly back, and pull it away through the leg-side. You can often score enough runs off short stuff and full tosses that you don't NEED to play any other shots.

Yeah that all makes sense and is kind of what I'm doing. I've noticed against my son who bowls off-spin sometimes combining differences in length and speed and straight balls I get the better of him standing forwards just out of the crease and as he goes into his bowling action step smoothly back so I have a little more time and that allows me a spit second longer to get a look at what the ball does out of the bounce. Going forwards is a much riskier option and less successful I find than playing off the back foot.

The other thing is those bad balls - there's a balance to be struck between leaving them and going after them, often when I go after them I make a mistake. I'm getting slightly better, but all will be revealed in the nets later this month no doubt!

Dave you are doing the right thing, trying to work out a method. There is no set way, only your way.

On playing spin, going right back is a valuable tactic. As is going the other way. Try running down the wicket to every ball a spinner bowls in nets for a couple of sessions to see if you can meet the ball on the half volley. You will miss quite a few in the session but you will get a feel for what balls you can move towards and what balls you can move back.

One golden rule for me against spinners is to not try to play from the crease. Get right out there or get right back but get stuck and you are increasing your chances of trouble.

Back