batting tips

Dave you are doing the right thing, trying to work out a method. There is no set way, only your way.

On playing spin, going right back is a valuable tactic. As is going the other way. Try running down the wicket to every ball a spinner bowls in nets for a couple of sessions to see if you can meet the ball on the half volley. You will miss quite a few in the session but you will get a feel for what balls you can move towards and what balls you can move back.

One golden rule for me against spinners is to not try to play from the crease. Get right out there or get right back but get stuck and you are increasing your chances of trouble.
Yeah I'll give that a go, normally it's a disaster but with all the work I've been doing and the increase in confidence, I'm finding it easier to actually get to the ball and play it under my nose. I find against my son - in the same way that he mixes his approach up, if I mix up the way I attack him, sometimes off the back foot sometimes going forwards it messes his plans up and puts him off his rhythm.

Yeah I'll give that a go, normally it's a disaster but with all the work I've been doing and the increase in confidence, I'm finding it easier to actually get to the ball and play it under my nose. I find against my son - in the same way that he mixes his approach up, if I mix up the way I attack him, sometimes off the back foot sometimes going forwards it messes his plans up and puts him off his rhythm.

Practice is the time for it. Your son might laugh if you miss one running down the pitch, but do it 500 times and you'll know which balls to go and which balls to stay (because it's very full or very short).

Back