Captaincy?

scorpsteals

Captaincy?

How do you set the field? I have a problem in my team where whenever the team is losing everybody panics and everybody is setting the field. What do you do when the captain's, vice captains, other senior players and the bowler want different fields. You just cannot satisfy everybody. A single fielder is moved 3-4 times by different people. Whats the best way to go about this. Thanks

Re: Captaincy?

You're the captain, you're in charge.

Tell the before you go out on the field that you are captain for a reason and that your word is final. You have to be open enough to allow people to suggest field placings, but you have to be in control.

Generally, I talk to the bowler to see what they want, then set the field accordingly. Don't let everyone else chime in as it just gets messy.

As MC said, under NO circumstances should anyone other than the bowler and the captain set the field.

On a not altogether related note, does anyone else find being captain means that you become habitually useless in the field?

scorpsteals said:
What do you do when the captain's, vice captains, other senior players and the bowler want different fields.

u make the final decision.... when it comes down 2 it.. u and your bowler should be discussing the field settings... senior players may be able to have an input but no changes should be made unless they r run by u...

wolf i have only captained my school cricket side... but i understand wat u mean....... your focus seems to be so set on other things that i feel as though im just filling a place....

buy a hat that says i'm in charge! worked for me! or just keep moving the fielders back!

be firm but ask for their input!

Yes, a very important part of being a captain is to lead from the front. If as the captain, you have a strong character and a great deal of confidence and you take it on the field with you, the team is likely to follow the captain's confidence. However, if you panic at any stage of the game, the entire team will, one by one, start to panic. If somebody has a good suggestion, take it, but make sure that you are in charge of whatever is going on the field at all times.

Where do people generally captain from? The majority of the games I've played in, the captain has either been the WK or put themselves in the slips. This doesn't seem like a great idea to me, as the level of concentration needed every ball means that you never get a rest. On the other hand, you're involved in every ball, so you get to interact with the field more - keeps you in the game?

With regard to setting the field - it works quite well if you ask the senior players to keep an eye open for sensible fielding changes, and let you know about them so you can decide whether to move the player. Most people will understand that you want changes to come from one source, rather than everyone shouting at fielders all over the pitch.

i captain from behind the stumps! best view if you ask me! but a captain usually would be close to the action! where he can see what is going on and make decisions! i tend to find it hard to hear a captain form the boundary!

Captains at school level like the slips cos they don't have to run and they're usually lazy opening bastmen!! Just personal experience :p

At the club (more serious) the captain tends to field at mid off so he can speak to the bowler easily.

Midwicket seems to be the best place for a captain, I reckon - nice and central to the action, without actually having to do a whole lot with the ball.

I've always put my best two fielders at cover and midwicket if I'm setting a field before I've seen where the batsmen favour, but I suppose it depends on what you're trying to do. I guess it's also ok if the skipper's a gun fielder ;)

When i captained my previous club team;I use to be first at the mid-off region for the fast bowlers and when the filed spreads then operate from the cover region.It helped me to talk to my bowlers encouraging them and easily sending off the "over smart cricketers".
Regarding Scropsteals post;He will have to figure out for himself somewhat this way.At any given time he has to stand for his actions even if it invited few grumblings.

I usually Captain from slips or short cover. But for the pace bowlers I field at mid-off so that I can give him some advice being a fast bowler myself. And its also good to get the keeper involved sometimes because he has the same view as the batsmen.

Just keep an eye on the field and move anyone back into the position you want.. after a while everyone will get sick of moving back and forth and will just do what you say..

And fielding at slip when captain helps you keep an eye on everything as well..

Where does Ricky Ponting field - he's a pretty good captain I reckon and it might be an idea to follow his example. My own Captain is usually at first slip and this is a problem I need to face as I've been given the job of captaining our 3rd Sunday XI for a few matches.

I tend to stand at mid off/on so I can see things from the bowlers point of view, but also rely on talking to the keeper during the change of over.

Saying that, bowling and being captain is hard work, as you need to focus on your own game, whilst having an eye on everything else that's going on. Might be why a high percentage of batsman are captain over bowlers?

someblokecalleddave;28550 said:
Where does Ricky Ponting field - he's a pretty good captain I reckon and it might be an idea to follow his example.

In ODIs hes usually at point and in tests at 2nd or 3rd slip

Ricky Ponting's probably a bit of an exception because he's an amazing fielder as well as being skipper.

I think mas has got it spot on.

Back