Captaincy?

Re: Captaincy?

Yep turns out I've got to captain a mish mash of a team tomorrow - what's left of our 3rd XI because they've all B******d off to the "V" concerts and a bunch of blokes who've not played cricket since primary school who fancy a go! Any advice?

Yeah that might help. I'm wondering how many bowlers I'm going to have, I think all 3 of the Sunday teams are going to struggle tomorrow, there's so many people away at the V concerts so I think all three teams are going to have 3 or 4 colts in each side and being the captain of the 3rd XI I'm going to get the smallest and youngest no doubt! If I win the toss I reckon I'll put the opposition in to bat - at least the match that way will go to the full 40 overs for them and as they come off the field they'll be drinking I'm fairly certain and maybe what with p****d up bowling we might have a chance of chasing their total?

As captain, i enjoyed it even more than just standing in the field watching the ball. Mainly due to my inability to concentrate on one task for more than 20 seconds.

A few people have said that only the bowler can influence your field placing, can they buggery. The WK is my first port of call when I bring in a new bowler, he's stood infront of them, and behind batsmen all season long. He knows this guys bowling better than the actual guy!

My field placings tend to consist of a very light leg side, and a strong offside. As we've got some decent guys who like to swing it away. When the spinners come in, i've always got to have a leg slip, sometimes if they aren't on the sweep then i'll remove him and maybe bring him a bit squarer.

Being captain is about making decisions on the spot, its like life, you choose a decision and ones right and ones wrong. You win or lose, do or die.

Back