CHAMPIONS TROPHY FINAL - West Indies vs. Australia at Mumbai!!!

C

Chandu

CHAMPIONS TROPHY FINAL - West Indies vs. Australia at Mumbai!!!

Well, this is it!! 2 of the best and most deserving teams finally meet again in the final of this fantastic tournament. This after having faced off each other in group stages. The group stage match in which Jerome Taylor had a hat-trick was a classic one, but will lightening strike twice?

Using laws of statistics and basic cool-head logic, Australia are clear favorites to win. But my heart tells me, West Indies should win. I sure hope so. I would be thouroughly disappointed if Australia end up lifting another trophy again. The balance of power in world cricket must be evened out, and it would be a disaster if only a single team kept dominating for long periods.

========================================

Unrelated general tournament note:

My vote for the most disappointing team in this tournament is an even tie between Sri Lanka, Pakistan and India. Actually at one point I had picked Sri Lanka to be the favorites to win the whole thing.

Re: CHAMPIONS TROPHY FINAL - West Indies vs. Australia at Mumbai!!!

I'm hoping for a West Indies win, they are my pick in the predictions thread, Australia may be the favourites but I think the Windies will take this one.

If the Windies can perform like they did in the group stages then they will be the ones to be presented with the trophy and would have successfully defended their title. Never mind how poorly they have played in the past, when it matters most they could step up to the plate.

I agree that the balance of power should be evened out. Not only would it be a disasater if one team dominated for long periods, but it would also make the game less exciting in my opinion.

Australia should win,the windies aint got much batting apart from Gayle & Lara so if their out cheap we win.
Speaking as an Aussie I quite like the current balance of power.
When we regain The Ashes (real cricket)this summer all will be as it should.

Pakistan did okay considering their 2 quicks had a "medical holiday".

Sri Lanka are over-rated,without their chucker they wouldn't beat Zimbabwe.

I think India have been the most disappointing.With their batting line-up & a few fans in the crowd they should have done better.

sainter74;111323 said:
Australia should win,the windies aint got much batting apart from Gayle & Lara so if their out cheap we win.
When we regain The Ashes (real cricket)this summer all will be as it should.

Pakistan did okay considering their 2 quicks had a "medical holiday".

Sri Lanka are over-rated,without their chucker they wouldn't beat Zimbabwe.

I think India have been the most disappointing.With their batting line-up & a few fans in the crowd they should have done better.

sri lanka arent overrated!? they are one of the if not the best ODI side in the world!

mbuck;111324 said:
sri lanka arent overrated!? they are one of the if not the best ODI side in the world!

Yes they are not overrated. They are the best ODI and Test team in the world.

sainter74;111323 said:
When we regain The Ashes (real cricket)this summer all will be as it should

Please give credit where credit is due.

The entire WI team is to be commended. This has not been a Gayle Lara show. The team actually seems to be a cohesive unit. Their bowling has been decent and at times quite extraordinary. Taylor, Bravo, Bradshaw and Marlon Samuels have all put in good performances, while Colleymore - considered to be the best bowler in the team - has barely made an impact. All in all, the fielding has been good, in fact one of the best from a team this series. Youngsters like Jerome Taylor and Bravo have improved steadily throughout this year culminating in some superb performances in recent matches. As for the batting, The WI performance has not been solely a Gayle or Lara effort. Gayle's recent century was helped considerably by Chanderpaul whose 57 was achieved at an ever higher strike rate than Gayle's. If Shiv did not pull out because of cramps I have no doubt this partnership would have been unbeaten. Shiv was replaced by Sarwan who began to do quite well in his stead. In the match against England, Gayle's century was helped by a partnership with Bravo who scored his first century in an ODI and was not out at the end of WI innings. Lara has only shown batting form in the match against Australia on this same Mumbai pitch where he managed 71 runs inspite of back problems but he was not the star of that show, runako morton was. Lara seems to be more focused on managing his side rather than his batting but he'll have to find a way to strike a balance between both especially in the upcoming months. Where Gayle has been great is in his ability to inspire his teamates. He is supporting his captain and the entire team seems to be of one mind. This is the first time in a long time the west indies has not depended on one or two individuals to pull through for them and that's why they have been successful, defying the naysayers who predicted they'd humilate themselves in this tournament.

As for Australia's dominance in Cricket, I have no problem with it because it is totally deserved. They're a great professional team, full of amazing cricketers dedicated to their craft. In any case, dominance in Cricket tends to be cyclical. The era of West Indies dominance in this game was the mostentertaining period in the sport because they faced talented and professional opposition and brushed them aside with their athletic prowess and drive to win. These days, Australia's dominance can only be blamed on other teams not stepping up to the plate. A talented team does not make a great team, greatness comes with dedication and heart.

As for who will win on Sunday, I'm rallying round the WI all the way and hoping that the side that performs is the side we've seen in recent matches and not the side that collapsed against Sri Lanka.

Good post Sunstroke.

Chanderpaul should be fine and recovered for the final, and if he can contribute along with Bradshaw, Taylor, and Bravo, the West Indies will have a very reasonable chance to win this tournament again.

I won't call them favorites, because to beat Australia it almost always takes a few brilliant performances, but hopefully it'll at least be close.

You know, while I'll admit I'm cheering for the Windies, if I had to make an honest prediction, I think Australia will win. In the DLF Cup early stage, West Indies was able to compete with Australia, but not in the final. I think the same will happen here. West Indies can challenge Australia in the Champions Trophy early stage, but not in the final.

Gee Lee started well.... 9 from his first, 13 from his second. 28/0 Chanderpaul 21* Gayle 4*

Lee 2 overs 0 wickets 22 runs, not good news. give mcgrath a crack.

Wow, an early 6 from Chanderpaul.

28-0 after 3 overs

great start by the Windies, 35/0 from just 4 overs.

Lee to bowl another.... 4 already. yay!.
For gods sake take him off. Hes gone for a further 14 that over, something has to be done!

Bracken gets it!!

W. Indies, 1 for 49 -- still on a pace for 250, at the current rate...

Lee is finally dragged after going for 36 runs from just 3 overs. Replaced by Mcgrath.

EDIT: Mcgrath hit for 6, hmmmm

BANG Bracken strikes again! Gets Sarwan for 7.

79/2 Mcgrath is now copping a pounding.

WOW, Chris Gayle is tearing Lee and now McGrath apart!

Wow x3! Who needs Lee and McGrath when you've got Bracken?
He gets Gayle for his 3rd wicket of the day!
80-3

BANG that was the big one.... other than Lara, of course.

EDIT: Lara now out the Windies are wounded. 88/4

Hit and Sunk! West Indies all out for 138. One of the more spectacular declines we've seen in ODI cricket for a while.

Bundy is tasting mighty fine so far...

should be easy enough for us to chase. under 3 an over.
ooohh i like the bundy :p

Only one wicket for Brett Lee. But three for Bracken, and two each for McGrath and Watson sure picked up the slack!

Australia batting now, with Gilchrist and Watson as the opening partners. Here we go...

Back