CHAMPIONS TROPHY FINAL - West Indies vs. Australia at Mumbai!!!

Re: CHAMPIONS TROPHY FINAL - West Indies vs. Australia at Mumbai!!!

Gilchrist the first Aussie victim, falls in just the second over, Bradshaw gets him after just two runs. Australia 1/12, with Ponting replacing Gilchrist.

Ponting out quickly! LBW, from Taylor's delivery... damn near a golden duck there.

"There is lightning in the sky! Wind has picked up. Will the heavens open up soon. Atkinson, the curator, is busy discussing furiously with the groundstaff just outside the boundary ropes. There is a storm brewing."

Source: i dont know if links are allowed so the ICC Cricinfo Live Scorecard

Here comes the in-form Damian Martyn, with Australia needing him at 2/13, four overs in.

rumblah;111560 said:
"There is lightning in the sky! Wind has picked up. Will the heavens open up soon. Atkinson, the curator, is busy discussing furiously with the groundstaff just outside the boundary ropes. There is a storm brewing."

Oh, use links, by all means! :)

I heard that quote on the broadcast here -- and what wordsmiths these commentators are!!

Dinner has been taken with lightening surrounding the ground. There is currently no rain about but some dark clouds are hanging around.

The score is 2/45 after 10 overs with Watson on 21 and Martyn on 17.

West Indies got off to a flying start but to see them with just 138 runs on the board is a pretty ordinary effort.

Oh man, Gayle was on a roll there. It was great to see him spank McGrath and Lee, but Bracken, what a talent! Even tho his ball to Gayle was perfect, if Gayle had quicker footwork maybe he could have avoided that. Generally, Australia's bowling attack was superb today as one would expect.

Re WI Bradshaw seems to know how to get Gilchrist but I thoroughly relished Jerome's taking of Ponting mmmm...:D ..If Jerome stays focused he can only go upwards from here on, as even Michael Holding has noted,

However Martyn is in excellent form , the odds favour Australia - they've still got superb batsmen in the order that are used to handling pressure.

Of course as a Windies fan, I still entertain the crazy notion of WI managing to bowl AUS apart.:D

Currently raining at the moment. It actually stopped raining and the game was scheduled to start at 7:20pm local time but it started to rain again and now the rain has become quite heavy.

If the game is rained out tonight, it will continue tomorrow (not a completely new game but the game will resume from where it finished should we get no more play tonight).

Play will restart at 9pm local time (i.e. 26 mins from now).

Also...

Cricinfo commentary said:
A minimum of 10 more overs need to be bowled tonight for the Duckworth-Lewis method to come into play. If that isn't possible, the players would need to return on Monday afternoon to complete the game.

And...

Cricinfo commentary said:
It will be a 35-overs game now. So we have 25 overs more to go.

Play is back on.
Bradshaw gives up only one run from the first new over.

Australia is chasing 116 from 35 overs,
meaning they need 70 more runs in 24 overs.

Back underway now. The game has been reduced to a 35-over game but the target score now is 116 due to Duckworth-Lewis calculations. Australia now need 71 runs off 25 overs.

Bradshaw completes the first over after the rain delay. Australia need 70 runs off 24 overs, Watson moves to 22.

65/2 now

52 runs needed from 19 overs.

And that's it, Australia wins!!!

Watson hits the winning runs and the wait is over. Australia have never won the Champions Trophy before and they've never held this trophy aloft. But that all changes now, they are the winners of the Champions Trophy!!!

The Aussies won easily in the end, crushing West Indies by 8 wickets with a superior batting and bowling display. Watson was unbeaten on 57 with Martyn still there on 47.

What a win by the Aussies, the Champions Trophy winners!!!!

Congrats Aussies, well done. Bracken was superb today and Damien Martyn's focus and execution was lovely and smooth. Watson refused to be swayed by bowling attacks and showed much promise as a batsman.

WI batting just wasn't up to par, we could use a Damien Martyn on our side. Had we kept up the momentum it could have been a really exciting match but ended up being rather anti climactic and I don't only say this because my side lost but our batting failed us and prevented all from seeing more entertaining cricket from these two teams.

Been good bowling by WI, especially in the beginning, but we need to come better than this to beat the number 1 team in the world. Hopefully WI will learn and see it as a stepping stone, regroup and then focus for Pakistan. I'm sincerely hoping that the gradual turn around they've been making this year is not a one time thing. Now more than ever they have to stay focused and do like the Aussies,, give their all to winning games consistently ..all the time. In a way I'm glad Lara did not save the day for us as I'm sick of the over dependence on Lara. Age is clearly catching up with him and it's time the other players learn to win games without him. He's made excellent decisions this tournament even though it's rather odd he didn't let Gayle try his hand at the Aussie batsmen today.

Once again great job Aussies for first win of this championship trophy.

:(

I'm stick to my stomach. Sick, sick, deathly sick.

(Where are those smileys with tears on this message board?)

Sunstroke;111610 said:
He's (Lara) made excellent decisions this tournament even though it's rather odd he didn't let Gayle try his hand at the Aussie batsmen today.

Gayle was sick to his stomach, just like me.

rumblah;111560 said:

Links to cricinfo are tolerated, since every cricket fan who surfs the web already knows about it.

Back