City of Moorabbin Cricket Association 2010/11

Re: City of Moorabbin Cricket Association 2010/11

UM,
I wasn’t at the meeting, I sent someone in my place but the feedback I heard is that all games in G grade and below will be 55 over’s and there will be batting and bowling restrictions similar to juniors (I think its retire at 100 and Max 15 over’s).

The 3 strike policy is just that an umpire can effectively issue like a yellow card and after a player has received 3 yellow cards (I think they are calling them citations) it’s a mandatory 1 match suspension. I’m not 100% what a player has to do to deserve a citation!

I agree with Bunter... stop complaining whether you should be predicted to finish higher during pre season expectations.

Separate from what the club thinks of their own expectations, I'm a lot more comfortable with low expectations "externally" so you can improve on the perception & fly under the radar. And if you remain poor, then no one is going to clobber you either.

If you want high expectations, there's a lot more repsonsibility that comes with it. This is the issue that Bentleigh Uniting faces this season, and what ESBC have successfully managed over a ridiculously long period of time.

I also agree with Jimmy and Sugar, get over it boys everyones entitled to predict where they think teams are going to finish.
Golf, you are only as good as your last game, and you're boys put in a shocker last year.
ANA had allot more to play for though, and you're boys were comfortable just knowing that relegation had been eased, still not the right way to finish the season.
You are on the right track with you're young blokes, keep getting games into them and setting good examples, unlike the bloke who wanted to take on the whole ANA team after the game last season.
Good luck to the Heath, its good to see new teams up in Longy.;)

Woolnough early market:

Bentleigh Uniting: $1.10 for the flag: The recruiting coups of the century will reverberate down the grades for Uniting. Their depth will be at an all time high, with kids coming through the ranks and the wily veterans trying their best to keep the young ones at bay.Barring serious injuries I cannot see Uniting losing to many this season.

Moorabbin West: $4.00 for the flag: Losing Grand finalists for the last three seasons but no doubt the last one hurt the most losing to their rivals in Hampton Centrals after seemingly dominating the competition for most of the season.They will be there when it counts, and hopefully stronger for the experience but have a huge mountain to overcome in the powerful Uniting line up.

Omega: $8.00 for the flag: They made amends of sorts for their disappointing 2008/2009 season, by defeating Bentleigh Uniting or as we shall call them "Gold Class' in the last home and away match to ensure a finals position.Unfortunately the rain ruined their chances of advancing.Omega has been working diligently to get their list upto the required standard and a lot of this hard work is starting to show results.

Cluden: $10.00 for the flag: Snuck up on everyone last year and managed the double chance.Their finals campaign was marred by bad weather and a poor performance in the Preliminary Final. They have had all winter to mull over that performance and no doubt they will want to make amends.
Nonetheless their performance during the season was extraordinary last season and they will be in the finals mix come the end of the season.Hopefully a few of their off field ructions with some players has been resolved and everyone has kissed and made up.

Brighton Union: $15.00 for the flag: Ended the season mid table with 5 wins and a draw. The lack of depth finally caught up them as their 1sts called upon the services of some of the regulars to field and serve tea to patrons in their vast club rooms. The Hoops are starting to look a little old and tired and really need some of their younger guns to stand up and be noticed.

Chelsea Heights: $20.00 for the flag: The new boys on the block Chelsea Heights will make their debut in Woolnough for the first time against the experienced Omega which will be looking to put the upstarts in their place. Chelsea Heights has been a lot of years in the making and the Executive has secretly hoped that they would continue their climb up the grades so as to add a lot more interest in the competition. No doubt many will be keen to see the pocket rocket Brad Lockhart and his wily dad Neil in action.Brad really is a destructive batsman on his day. Just hope that Chelsea Heights appearance in the SFL Grand Final on Sunday has not impeded their cricket preparations too much.Watch out if they overcome St.Kilda City on Sunday as their mad Monday could last a month.

Bentleigh ANA: $25.00 for the flag: Finished the season with 6 wins and 5 losses.A disappointing Round 3 loss to Hampton United cost them dearly as the season progressed. Showed glimpses of what they could do at times last season, and will rely on their youth to push them through with a couple of experienced heads to guide them.If they can achieve 6 wins this season they will be satisfied.

Washington Park:$33.00 to win the flag: Started like a house on fire against an inexperienced Kingston Heath, and ended their season relegated when they were put to the sword by the ruthless Juggernaut. The wheels have well and truly come off the Wash Ups with the loss of a number of key players to long term injury, their coach who accepted a better job at Moorabbin and a couple of promising juniors who have elected to try their luck in the District and Sub District ranks.Added to that there were a lot of rumblings at Shark Park last season with some very seasoned players expressing their disdain of how things were being run.Milton Hammon has bobbed up as the unlikely coach for the Sharks with the experienced Chris Gorrie continuing his role as skipper of the 2nds. Not sure how long this will last as the new look Sharks will need some experience, and Gorrie is the one to keep them focussed. They will struggle this year as they try and reorganize their club. As the season progresses and a few return to the fold as often occurs at the Sharks, they could seriously cause some consternation for teams vying for finals. The Washups need to get back to core values and develop a club spirit and stop the bickering and elitisim that has permutated through their club over the past few seasons and beyond.

Aspendale/Edithvale: $40.00 to win the flag: The 'Party boys' will again get their fair share of scalps, but do they have the commitment to go through? Sadly no, they are there for a good time and their game reflects this non challant attitude at times.Good blokes to share a beer with.

Highett West: $50.00 to win the flag: Ended in 9th spot and no doubt a hugely disappointing year for the Kookas. They never got going and a lack of access to their main oval no doubt caused some disruption. The loss of key personnel leaves them struggling for the season.It is going to be a long hard season especially with the bat for the Kookas.

East Sandringham: $50.00 to win the flag: Avoided 'pretend' relegation by the skin of their teeth last season.Can't see to much changing this season.
Old team desperately in need of youth who are probably not quite ready for Woolnough.

Hampton United: $100 to win the flag. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong last season for Purple & Golds.One win in Round 3, and 300 run effort against their arch enemy which they eventually lost unable to defend the score were really the only highlights for the struggling club. They were given a reprieve from the noose after Brighton Centrals elected to go down a grade, but I just can't see what is going to change. Messers Dixon & Bell will again be the crux of their team, and another year on Mr Dixon's body will seriously test his resolve.Mr Bell may also be starting to feel the grind suffering a number of injuries last season. Long year ahead.

Longmuir early market:

Bentleigh Uniting: $1.10 for the flag: Glen Lalor, Ash Russell and the return of Brett Ernst will ensure that Uniting is nearly unbeatable this year. As much as I admire the Juggernaut, I am afraid I have to jump ship this season. May God have mercy on my soul.

Juggernaut: $4.00 for the flag: After surviving a serious fright last season the Juggernaut emerged victorious and enjoyed the joys of drinking from yet another premiership cup. Little did they know that akin to the legendary Clubber Lang in Rocky 111, Uniting were advanced in their negotiations.Dark times ahead for all, but the Juggeranut will still be up there when it is time to dance.Who knows funnier things have happened in Grand Finals.

Mackie: $8.00 for the flag: Grand finalists and just fell short at the final hurdle.The retirement of Colm Kinsella is a huge loss, and the fact that their list is another year older will be telling.Yes they have a few younger players who gained valueable experience last season, but their bowling may lack that bite that Kinsella provided.Another big season expected from Buddha and the usual suspects including the recently engaged Brendan Clarke assuming he plays.Love can do that to you.

Omega: $10.00 for the flag: Fell at the final hurdle last season when they imploded against some seriously excellent bowling from the 'Gold Class' bowlers which cost them a spot in the finals. They have continued their steady rise over the past few years through the ranks and are now ready to take the next step.Another big season from Ferguson is required and no doubt he has been working the boys hard over the pre season.

West Bentleigh: $15.00 for the flag: Dead and buried so many times last season, but managed to keep clawing their way back into finals contention, and finally reached their goal only to have the weather ruin their endeavours. A few seasons back we were all in awe at the money allegedly spent on their new skipper Con P. That seems like pocket change compared to what has transpired over the summer... allegedly.
The skipper will be really fired up to have a big season as last year was a major disappointment by his lofty standards. You can never right off the Cowboys.

Brighton Union: $20.00 for the flag: The Hoops had a season to forget after all the hype surrounding their acquisitions.They will not appreciate being wiped of the front pages by the 'Gold Club', but really don't believe they have the team that will seriously challenge for a finals spot. A lot of pressure on the skipper and a few of the big names at the Hoops as another season outside the finals will be frowned upon and a Kevin Rudd styled coup may even occur during the course of the season depending on the results. You have to watch yourself with that Labor mob.

Le Page Park: $25.00 for the flag: Finished the season with 5 wins and 6 losses and came home like a train after XMAS defeating the Hoops, Omega and giving West Bentleigh a huge fright.Therein lies their problem. They are notorious slow starters and leave themselves too much to do after the break. If they can get a good start then they may be the smokies to make the finals.

Elwood:$33.00 to win the flag: They will struggle without Mr Bunting assuming he is trying his hand at District. Irrespective they can be a devastating batting team on their day, but not consistent enough to trouble the top teams. They will struggle this year.

Bentleigh ANA:$50.00 to win the flag: The signing of Bill Biggs as captain/coach has energized the group and they will be relying on him to make a lot of runs. The loss of the Judge will leave a big hole in the batting line up, so more pressure on the skipper.If he doesn't make runs then ANA will be in trouble.They have a lot of young players who played well in patches but lost their way after XMAS.It is time for a few of their younger guys to step up and make a name for themselves.

Kingston Heath: $50.00 to win the flag: Despite Leroy's protestations at the lack of respect, Kingston Heath achieved their major goal last season. They survived in their first year in Longmuir and now have a chance to further develop. They were slow to start last season, but gradually gained momentum. They will be better prepared in their second season and with one of the best club and junior structures in the CMCA they will set a base for themselves for the next decade.

Carnegie South: $50.00 to win the flag: Another season and much the same for the Spiders. Their veterans were disappointing last season and they really need to step up to give them a chance. Inconsistency in the two day format has been the bane of their problems, but the Spiders have an imposing record in the one day format and will trouble teams in the first two games. They have a good group of juniors, particularly Snape and Nicholson and this may be the last year they have them before they move on and try their luck in the District ranks.

Hampton Central: $100 to win the flag. Reigning Woolnough Premiers and back where they believe they belong.it is going to be a long season for the Sky Blues. Circa two years earlier they failed to win a game in Longmuir, despite some very respectable performances and their verterans have not gotten any younger. They have a few younger players emerging who are quality players, but will take time to adjust. I do not believe Centrals or any other team will be relegated thanks to the Gold Club winning the Woolnough flag, so Centrals and a few other clubs have a year to consolidate their positions.

Can i just commend the 2 lads for there write up and $$ odd's prediction whether right or wrong in what they say it is a class effort what they have done and would have taken a great deal of time and thought.

Well done:)

As always Clocker... your insight is always accurate and reasonably balanced.

The ANA Cricket show will return next week... be prepared, as The Judge feels that he might have a bit of extra licence with his opinions while he's not playing the first half of the season.

CLOCKER;408431 said:
Longmuir early market:

Elwood:$33.00 to win the flag: They will struggle without Mr Bunting assuming he is trying his hand at District. Irrespective they can be a devastating batting team on their day, but not consistent enough to trouble the top teams. They will struggle this year.

Writing them off a little too early.

Bunting will be there this year, and they have added a couple of players to a team that only just missed finals last season.

Should be an interesting year.

The Mentalist;408418 said:
I also agree with Jimmy and Sugar, get over it boys everyones entitled to predict where they think teams are going to finish.
Golf, you are only as good as your last game, and you're boys put in a shocker last year.
ANA had allot more to play for though, and you're boys were comfortable just knowing that relegation had been eased, still not the right way to finish the season.
You are on the right track with you're young blokes, keep getting games into them and setting good examples, unlike the bloke who wanted to take on the whole ANA team after the game last season.
Good luck to the Heath, its good to see new teams up in Longy.;)

Thanks for the good wishes mental. We didn't play well that last game. Probably because we battled so hard during the year, and we just relaxed too much. Getting games into our young guys will again be a priority.

As for setting good examples, I agree it wasn't the best thing I've seen on a cricket pitch, but it does take two to tango, and that the two players that were reported and suspended after that game were not from Kingston Heath.

Leroy, without being cryptic... yes Cedric did as he does, and copped his whack, but as for Mikko, as skipper it's never easy trying to control the old man.

Sugar;408583 said:
Leroy, without being cryptic... yes Cedric did as he does, and copped his whack, but as for Mikko, as skipper it's never easy trying to control the old man.

Sugar, I was just responding to a post.

Been following this a little whilst overseas and always a good way to catch up with the goss, and lets be honest we all love it
Just to clarify, Im still down at Elwood this year, this are pretty exciting down there having appointed a new coach, Steve Jones, comes with good backing and a solid stint in the UK over the last 3 seasons. After an interesting year last year were keen to get all things moving in the right direction throughout the club. Have a couple of new boys that will be pushing the ones and hopefully will add depths which is something that we have lacked over the last few seasons. $33 for the flag is lovely odd but having just missed the finals last year I think are a bit harsh but then again we have been underated over the last few years. Hopefully we can find a way into the finals this year and then anything can happen
Which clubs have entered the 20/20 comp this year?? I hear its been a bit of a uncertain thing, any reasons for that?

Where is Ano playing this year, heard he is back in the comp on big coin just not sure which club, some say union some say uniting

Ano is playing at Brighton Union seen him batting and looks like he will just settle back into cmca with ease. i think moose delac will be very happy after lost aaron gregory to west bentleigh in the off season

Had also heard that Justin King was going to West Bentleigh? Rumour or fact?

Ano is at Union, believe King went back to Rye.
Golf, was sort of agreeing with you in that people can say what they like, (we still have freedom of speech/expression in Australia as long as we don't upset the PC brigade), all that matters is what happens on the field. You can't win games in the bar.

Just wondering who's running the longy and wooly tipping this season?

Back