City Of Moorabbin Cricket Association 2011/12

Round 6
Longmuir
Brighton Union v Bentleigh Uniting (only a fool would not tip Utg every week)
Le Page Park v Carnegie South (coin flip)
West Bentleigh v Kingston Heath
Hampton Central v Elwood (these guys are about to surge)
Bentleigh ANA v Mackie
East Sandringham Boys Club v Chelsea Heights

Round 6
Woolnough
Omega v West Bentleigh
Brighton Union v Cluden (coin flip, the rest pick themselves)
Bentleigh Uniting v Highett West
Hampton United v Moorabbin West
Washington Park v Bentleigh ANA
Aspendale Gardens v East Sandringham Boys Club

Brighton Union v Bentleigh Uniting
Le Page Park v Carnegie South
Hampton Central v Elwood
Bentleigh ANA v Mackie
East Sandringham Boys Club v Chelsea Heights

The Lalor reign is 31 wins without a loss in all forms ATM, very impressive.
Just wondering has any clubs done anything similar in there time, esbc must of in there run of premierships???
Anyway makes for a cracking T20 final tonight, esbc are very confident I am hearing, uniting been refereed to as a team of individuals and with no depth after Lalor n russel..........hmmm don't forget the bowlers Surridge n britt are the best opening combo in the comp compliment each other perfectly, negotiate them n battle russel n Zaia who I would say compliment each other.
Good to see chris richards Back playing cricket, this kid has serious talent, smashes it a long way n is dynamite in the field he could be the difference for the rest of the season IMO.
Go the bucc boys tonight bucc win with backers my 7-1 fancy for mom

Very true Brett, and probably best the longest winning streak in CMCA history (arguably).Interesting that the Brisbane Roar's streak came to an end on the weekend. Hopefully that is not an omen.
Just don't forget that there is no Brett Ernst this year to dig them out if they get into trouble!
Still trying to work out how the Beach Boys lost it last year.
The stage is set for the Juggernaut to shock the world...or our little portion of it.
1st INNINGS
T Backman c 3
A Russell c 0
+B Ernst
not out 51
*G Lalor c 0
B Turner c 18
D Britt c 3
J McConville st 6
S Richards c 9
S Zaia c 6
S Surridge c 2
G Harvey c 4
Extras (2nb,2w,0b,3lb) 7
Total 109
Overs 19.3

FOW:1(A Russell) 17(T Backman)
19(G Lalor) 60(B Turner) 71(D Britt)
87(J McConville) 99(S Richards) 104(S Surridge)
108(G Harvey) 109(S Zaia)

It has been a couple of months since I reminded everyone of Jimmy's expolits. He is the only to on this site to have achieved the magical 10 fa. Let's see Glenn Lalor match that one!!!!!:p

Slowly but surely
Steve Waugh may be Australian of the Year but he was not the only cricketer making news on Australia Day. Out Moorabbin way, a bloke by the name of Mark Missen was being feted for his performance with the ball, having taken all 10 wickets while opening the bowling for Hampton United firsts in a match against Cluden. In fact, it was only by a freak of nature that skipper Missen even took the new ball. Michael Hutchins usually bowls first change but before the game he was helping bang the stumps in and hurt his back and had to withdraw from the match. A modest Missen, who finished with 10-27 off 24.1 overs, told the Frankston Standard Pots Shots column not only did he surprise himself by the performance but reckons the opposition batsmen were probably shocked, too. He said: "I've heard batsmen say, 'He won't deceive you with his pace, but he will deceive you with his slowness.' "

Well done to the bucc boys going back to back in the T20 final restricting esbc to 141 n passing them 2 down in a canter with labor making 70 odd not out.

Bucc T20 champions in 2011.

Clocker thanks for the appraisal but I was only a part player in a good side, I have easily been replaced, the streak has continued and I would probably have to start in the seconds.

I turned up late and the general consensus from neutral supporters was it appeared pretty blatant. Perhaps there is bitterness or resentment towards Uniting's success, but the fact remains there were those who thought Lalor had a bit of help from the umpiring fraternity. ESBC only have themselves to blame after putting him down later in his innings.

Unfortunately due to a prior commitment with David Beckham I could not attend the match. I hope that the only ground capable of hosting such a big match coped with the huge crowd that attended, and that their barbeque was utilized to its full capacity.From what I have been told the fielding display from Uniting was exceptional.
The Juggernaut were running at 9 an over until ‘he who shall not be named’ and Russell came on. Change of pace, smart field placements and some dumb batting trying to belt the bowling out of the ground. 140 was never going to be enough. I hear Tom Backman was unlucky to be given out LBW, and ‘he who shall not be named’ was so far out of his crease it was beyond a joke. Why would the umpire stand at square leg with the sun directly in his eyes for five straight overs? Why not move to point where he could see everything much clearly without the sun in his eyes? It is upto the umpire to make this call but so many just don’t think. Well done to all at Uniting. Worthy grand final winners, and probably a few headaches this morning.

Uniting continued with their ‘streak’ and come up against a dispirited Hoops in the Grand Final replay at Mick’s ground. Peter Parker speculated earlier in the season whether Uniting were the same potent force. Having seen a few of their games this season I believe that they have improved their fielding substantially from last season, and that alone could be worth 20-30 runs. Uniting have already shown this year that they are capable of the ‘yips’ as they briefly demonstrated against Chelsea Heights, but from what I have seen to date Uniting are so far ahead of the rest of the competition that it could become a cake walk. I suppose we can all hope that the maxim: ‘If it bleeds, you can kill it’ is a valid belief. Maybe for footy, not sure it works the same for cricket. The Hoops are in real trouble and need to get something from this game and hopefully provide some impetus for the New year. Their bowling has been their Achilles heel this season, and they need to address it quickly.

The Royals and Mackie play for the ‘Stuart Campbell’ Cup. The man himself is averaging 97 against his former team in the last two matches. Barring injury or work commitments he should put on another good show and could be the difference between the two teams. The Royals seem to have abandoned their youth policy and opted for the return of the veterans since they have been performing consistently. Mackie continue with their kids and continue to unearth some very good players. Their win against the Hoops was probably one of the shock results for the season. Very important game for the Royals as they are dangerously exposed to relegation, whereas Mackie just keep going along finding wins.

The Panthers came up against the Spiders last season when both teams were undefeated. The Spiders proved victorious last season as they marched on and the Panthers went down hill after this loss. A win is a must for the Panthers if they have any ambition to play in the finals. The Spiders on the other hand will have warm pleasant memories of the corresponding period last season. They were sitting at 4/2 and looking the real deal until they returned in the New Year and forgot how to play cricket. They will be desperate to win and then have a second attempt after XMAS.Hopefull there will be no dejavu!

Leroy’s golfers have snuck up again and could end the year with 31/2 wins which would leave them an outside chance of making the finals. An emphatic win last week against the favoured Royals showed what the Golfers are capable when they put their heads down.The Cowboys have recalled veteran Danny Frew who promptly made a match winning 76 in Woolnough and could be back into their firsts to try and add some backbone to their batting line up. They will also pick up a few younger players who have returned from their frivolity and self abuse. This is a huge opportunity for the Cowboys to give themselves some breathing room. Another close one.

Centrals will be filthy at the lost opportunity to record their first win against Mackie. They had the match all but won, until the rain intervened. They were disappointing in their match against Bentleigh Uniting last week and will be looking to try and find some form. The Beach boys find themselves in a very awkward position sitting in 8th spot and 9 points from 4th spot. They have to win this one otherwise their season could be over.

The Juggernaut is not accustomed to defeat and react with a poor demeanour against prospective opponents. They will no doubt be seeking to administer some punishment to the hapless Chelsea Heights which has lost its way again.

Overrall a very interesting round of cricket with a lot on the line.

It has been a couple of months since I reminded everyone of Jimmy's expolits. He is the only to on this site to have achieved the magical 10 fa. Let's see Glenn Lalor match that one!!!!!:p

Slowly but surely
Steve Waugh may be Australian of the Year but he was not the only cricketer making news on Australia Day. Out Moorabbin way, a bloke by the name of Mark Missen was being feted for his performance with the ball, having taken all 10 wickets while opening the bowling for Hampton United firsts in a match against Cluden. In fact, it was only by a freak of nature that skipper Missen even took the new ball. Michael Hutchins usually bowls first change but before the game he was helping bang the stumps in and hurt his back and had to withdraw from the match. A modest Missen, who finished with 10-27 off 24.1 overs, told the Frankston Standard Pots Shots column not only did he surprise himself by the performance but reckons the opposition batsmen were probably shocked, too. He said: "I've heard batsmen say, 'He won't deceive you with his pace, but he will deceive you with his slowness.' "

Yeah, pretty happy you reel this one out every 6 months Clock. Now Uncle Mick will be saying I am Clocker using my own theory against me!! For the record the next week we were defending 322 and got smashed with Jimmy 0/50 off 8!!!

For those interested, podcast of last Sundays CMCA Show available voa link below.

http://www.southernfm.com.au/podcast/cmca-panel-4th-december-round-5/

Brighton Union v Bentleigh Uniting Union's struggling bowlers may cop a flogging here
Le Page Park v Carnegie South Big Game - points on the line for both finals contenders. The ol 12 point cliche game.
West Bentleigh v Kingston Heath The Cowboys will come back with vengeance this round.
Hampton Central v Elwood The worm will turn for the 'Woods from here onwards.
Bentleigh ANA v Mackie No love here for ANA, Mackie will give their finals aspirations a boost.
East Sandringham Boys Club v Chelsea Heights Juggers will keep quietly jugging along.

Congrats to Uniting, great win, good BBQ's, great family atmosphere, and they reduced the gold caps to rabble.
The gold caps had no one to blame other than themselves, shoddy bowling and fielding, and undiciplined batting when under pressure, but well done to them for at least getting into the final.
There choice of uniform was also a topic of conversation, as they looked a bit like a thrown together bunch with different shorts and tops, one bloke actually had a pair of black skate shoes on, and another had a pair of what looked like blue boardies down below his knees, surely there is still enough money in the coffers for a decent training uniform?
The umpiring was questionable at times for both teams, but didn't have an effect in the overall result, i agree though, if you are looking into the sun then common sense should prevail from the umpire and he should have moved to point.
A funny comment from uncle mick though, regarding Lalor having some help, short memory uncle, as the gold caps have had more than their fair share of umpire assistance over the years.

Yes have to agree Mentalist. It starts off the field when a club goes to the trouble to make the effort to look like a team.I was under the impression that teams had to play with coloured clothing. I have seen a few teams this season with white tops which gives the bowler a fair advantage. Hopefully everyone will make the effort to look like cricket teams next season and not like a bunch of yobbo's running around for a bit of a hit and giggle.

Brighton Union v Bentleigh Uniting
Le Page Park v Carnegie South
Hampton Central v Elwood
Bentleigh ANA v Mackie
East Sandringham Boys Clubv Chelsea Heights
Well done to Bentleigh on a thumping win in the T20. Far, far to good for ESBC. Hopefully someone else can put up their hand and challenge for the real flag now.

Yes have to agree Mentalist. It starts off the field when a club goes to the trouble to make the effort to look like a team.I was under the impression that teams had to play with coloured clothing..

We bloody well organised custom Twenty20 tops and all we got was a thrashing by Brighton Union. Maybe we will make that a shirt for sale as well.

Yep, congratulations to Uniting and commiserations to East Sandy.

Should be a cracking round of cricket ahead. Weather looks like it might hold too. Good luck all.

Back