City Of Moorabbin Cricket Association 2011/12

PP,
Or as Robbo once said. More chance of him appearing in the next stage show Priscilla Queen of the Desert as the main lead.
It is not a pretty image! Irrespective if the ground is fit enough to hold Longmuir matches then it can host a final, if the Spiders get into that position.They deserve it.

Interesting to see who would be considered coach of the year. Lalor would normally be a shoe in considering undefeated in nearly 2 seasons, plus making the State 20/20 final and all the other successess.However Bruce Haley with his performance in the Under 21's, and getting the Spiders to the finals and possibly a top two spot is very note worthy. Leroy would also have to get a mention with all his hard work which is now starting to pay dividends.

I would think Bruce Haley would be the warm favourite for the Coach of the Year award. If it is an award given by the CMCA then you would think that they would be very keen to lavish him with the recognition he rightfully deserves, especially given this years terrific achievement with the CMCAs U/21s, and the marked improvement in Carnegie South this season.

At Bentleigh Uniting I beleive that the coaching duties are shared amongst a number of individuals including Glenn. I believe Glenn being awarded captain of the CMCA team of the year should be sufficient recognisition for his outstanding efforts and the success of his team (to date).

With 2 rounds to go I would be thinking that my CMCA Team of the Year would be as follows:
Kuzma 368 @ 40.9
Gregory 330 @ 36.7
Lalor (c) 399 runs @ 44.3
McConchie 384 @ 48
Martyn 315 (wk) runs @ 45
Collison 302 runs @ 43.1 / 7 wickets @ 17.3
Park C 263 runs @ 37.6 / 15 wickets @ 24.3
Dolman 130 runs @ 21.7 / 25 wickets @ 17.3
De Haan 31 wickets @ 16.5
Shelton 25 wickets @ 11.2
Surridge 28 wickets @ 8.8.

Little bit different to last year with the 3 place getters from the KnightSports award (Manders, Bunting & Russell) probably not getting a gig for various reasons.

Just an opinion, I'm sure that there are pe.ople that keep a closer eye on these things than myself.

Fair call. I would have pretty much the same team. Might swap out myself for ash russel. If he played out the year his batting and bowling would get him in. even missing 4 or 5 games, the stats work in his favour a bit more.
As for the coach, if haley had lalors list there wouldnt be an argument, but with the young cscc side that he has I think he gets the nod.

Also, theres every chance we will get a home final. But lords not being a seperatly fenced from the other grounds aswell as the local dog walkers being inclined to walk wherever they like puts the negatives up. But with the new surface and pitch it is a top notch ground and we would love to host a final. If we get ourselves in the right spot of course.

Is there a criteria for the Coach award? I don't think anyone would argue that the names thrown up aren't deserving, but let's get serious fellas. Lalor hasn't lost a game in any format. He doesn't even lose when tossing a coin for a spot on the 'G. Who cares what his list is? You still have to get them to perform every week.

Nikeal - your side looks pretty good although Russell stiff to miss out - even if he doesn't play for a month or so. I also question whether Kuzma should be picked as an opener. Batted at 3 all year. And are we picking 11 or 12?
This debate about grounds is an interesting one. We'd love to get our hands on any of the top grade finals at HWCC, but in fairness to the clubs competing surely the reward for their place on the ladder is that they host a final - particularly when there is no financial reward for clubs. Bar/canteen takings should be this reward when hosting a final. There is an issue however, with the Glen Eira council not having grounds available for the reserve week of the Grand Final which will impact greatly on the clubs that come from that area. I think you'll find Bayside will host most of the GFs for this season purely for that reason alone, but I could be wrong and we won't know more about it until the time arrives in a little over a month's time.

Is there a criteria for the Coach award? I don't think anyone would argue that the names thrown up aren't deserving, but let's get serious fellas. Lalor hasn't lost a game in any format. He doesn't even lose when tossing a coin for a spot on the 'G. Who cares what his list is? You still have to get them to perform every week.

Nikeal - your side looks pretty good although Russell stiff to miss out - even if he doesn't play for a month or so. I also question whether Kuzma should be picked as an opener. Batted at 3 all year. And are we picking 11 or 12?
This debate about grounds is an interesting one. We'd love to get our hands on any of the top grade finals at HWCC, but in fairness to the clubs competing surely the reward for their place on the ladder is that they host a final - particularly when there is no financial reward for clubs. Bar/canteen takings should be this reward when hosting a final. There is an issue however, with the Glen Eira council not having grounds available for the reserve week of the Grand Final which will impact greatly on the clubs that come from that area. I think you'll find Bayside will host most of the GFs for this season purely for that reason alone, but I could be wrong and we won't know more about it until the time arrives in a little over a month's time.

Dennis Pagan proved that unless you have the cattle your reputation or skills as a coach means nought.At the end of his reign at Carlton he could barely secure a job coaching a TAC team, so bad had his reputation sunk. Lalor had the makings of a pretty good team around him and his job has been to get them play to their ability. Granted much easier said than done as many clubs would vouch. Haley has been working for 6 years with no money and a difficult area to recruit players and had to pull the club up from Woolnough.Ironically Mackie are looking for a new coach when they had a pretty good one in their ranks and let him go as did the Hoops with Vorbs.Leroy has basically started from scratch developing a junior structure second to none and kept playing the kids until they managed promotion from Woolnough; then maintained their position in Longy and now have a chance to play finals. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Agree with most of the comments made. Unless you have the cattle it's pretty hard to gain success. That said, talent only gets you so far. Our junior programme owes a lot to many people but esp Simon Edgeworth who is a legend at our club. There were 7 graduates from our junior program playing in our longy side on Saturday.
Kudos to Glen And Bruce who have done brilliantly with different resources. It's not an easy job as I am well aware of.
Just one clarification Clock. When I came to the club we were in C Grade. It took a couple of years, some heart wrenching losses a bit of luck and a lot of hard work for us to be where we are now.
However the hard work for us must continue. We can't presume that now we're on the verge of Finals that each time we turn up that we'll win games. It's an ongoing process, and must continue to be so.

Reality is there is no clear winner, it is probably to early to tell at this stage for example if Leroy's mob n Bruce's have a early exit in finals then I would think they would then lose any chance of claiming it. Fantastic service n reward for hard work for both of them but I would almost bet they both would not be content with making up the numbers, for Bruce having consolidated finals birth they would be setting themselves now for a top 2 with two cracks at a GF, that's where they have to be and any less then they would be disappointed. Opportunities don't come along very often, Elwood last year were talked about been a dark horse n look how they have travelled this year.
These two men will be remembered n honored by there contributions to there clubs for years to come, but will a 3rd or 4th place be enough??
For Bruce no! For Leroy possibly, but only if they go a step further next season.
I have met n spoken to them both, they are quality blokes with a passion for cricket, I wish them n there clubs thR best of luck as we approach finals, Leroy must focus on keeping a lid on the lads as there must be excitement n buzz at the Heath as they verge on possible march action, as quick as it has come it can go in a blink of a eye.

Also condolences to all ANA with the sad news of a man who was a tireless worker n always gave 110%
R.I.P JS

Tips for Round 10
Chelsea Heights
Redbacks
Bentleigh Uniting
Le Page
Mackie
ESBC - ESBC won't want to lose 2 in a row this late in the season and the Golfers NEED to win this game at home as they are up against Uniting in Round 11 in their fight to secure 4th spot. The gloves will be off in this game. The heart says Golfers, but East Sandy's depth may be the difference.

On the extremely small chance of my tips being correct, it would see Kingston Heath, Le Page and Mackie all on 33 points after Round 10 and each playing the top 3 sides in Round 11 to claim 4th spot!! That would be an amazing round.

Tips rnd -10
Hoops - sure to bounce back
Redbacks - must keep momentum up
Uniting - ANA to show some fight under difficult circumstances
Panthers - surely couldn't lose to celler dwellers
Machine - rarely lose at the bowling club
Gold Caps - this will be the measuring stick for the golfers, have to take a big scalp to be serious contenders

Wooly
Ommies
Westars
Washups
Hoops
Uniting
Gardens

Sorry Clocker, I really have let my tipping slip -- quite embarrassing really!

I'll pick some roughies in the hope of dragging my sorry ass off the bottom of the ladder.

Chelsea Heights
Elwood
Bentleigh Uniting
Le Page
West Bentleigh
ESBC

And Rob De Haan certainly deserves to make the CMCA team of the year. He's had an outstanding campaign and he's a ripper bloke too. If he has a couple more good matches he'll have Elwood's historians reaching for the books to see where he'll finish on our list of most wickets in a Longmuir season.

Union
Spiders
Uniting
Le Page
Mackie
Us.
I'd also like to nominate Nuwan Shiroman for the CMCA team of the year with over 300 runs after missing the first two rounds and blobbing up in his first game. A super bat, and a humble friendly person.

Round 10
Longmuir
Brighton Union (rebound)
Carnegie South (wrestled with this one, 50/50 go)
Bentleigh Uniting
Le Page Park (a lot to play for in this game for both)
Mackie
East Sandringham Boys Club

Round 10
Woolnough
Omega
Moorabbin West
Washington Park
Hampton United
Bentleigh Uniting
Aspendale Gardens

Round 9 Preview
Mackie over The Golfers just (As harsh as it sounds for a team currently in the four, I doubt Kingston Heath will win another game this season. Certainly this match of the round clash at Southern Rd is their last chance with fixtures against the top 2 to finish, but perhaps this 4th placing flatters them somewhat. I am happy to be proven wrong, but the Machine are well oiled and cunning in games such as these and when the Park boys are firing they are very hard to beat, I do not expect a thrashing, but one has to select the proven performers).Uniting over Le Page easily (The Panthers fortunes are eerily similar to the Golfers as they must play the top 2 over the final rounds. Don’t expect Lalor’s men to extend any favours towards their combatants and expect Tommy Backman to be in the runs).Elwood over West just (Absolute flip of the coin, but Marshall Bunting simply loves flaying the Cowboys attack and a welcome return to form last round is the tonic he needs to post a really big score. He will need some help though and expect the Cowboys to fight this one right out as they seek for atonement after their embarrassing effort at the Beach last year).ESBC over Carn Sth Just (I cannot bring myself to pick against East Sandy, but I feel they may drop this one if they are not at their best. The Spiders have had many contributors this season and Gihan Perera is due for some runs. Guy Martin has led from the front in recent times and may need to do so again for the Juggies to salute).Union over ANA easily (The Hoops are suddenly more than just outsiders to sneak into the four. In reality they will most likely need Mackie to slip up, but with games against West and Chelsea to follow, they will expect to win all three. Unfortunately, Sport does not always follow an expected course and the Royals will be looking for a better showing after last week’s effort at West. Con Pothitos to score big for the visitors).Centrals over Chelsea just (The loser of this one may well be relegated and I for one see precious little between the two teams. Hampton’s form has been far better of late though and on this basis I will select them with much trepidation. Steve May has taken 16 wickets at less than 15 apiece since his return in round 4 and he may prove the difference again).

Round 9 Review

2/6 (32/54 cumulative) and back to earth with a thud. Some are calling it a choke and perhaps I am feeling the pinch, but upsets misled many a punter last week. Full marks to the Golfers for proving me wrong in their big win over Mackie. 280 odd was always going to be a tough task but the Machine were never really in it thanks to some disciplined bowling and excellent fielding. The other big winners (psychologically and practically) were the Spiders who won a thriller against East Sandy at Lords Reserve. Chasing 230 plus is never easy, but a fine knock from Ollie Hardaker at the top of the innings made sure they were always on target. The double chance is still up for grabs. Other results that were unexpected included ANA’s demolition job over a hapless Brighton Union and The Heighters equally impressive win over Centrals. Just what is wrong at Hurlingham Park? The club lost 50 wickets for just 334 last round and have already dropped their 4thXI from all competition. A season to forget indeed! The Heighters are not safe from relegation but have placed Centrals in a perilous position, a game and percentage behind requiring a two wins to be sure of safety. Uniting were far from their best, yet beat Le Page comfortably as expected and the Woods found a little form at the expense of West at Victory Park…

Round 10 Preview

Union over Heighters just (On last weeks form one would be a fool to select Union in any form, but they still should do enough to get the points as long as Pothitos or Kuzma gets amongst the runs)
Carnegie South over Elwood just (On paper most would say the Spiders easily, but I would argue the Beach boys have grossly under-achieved in 2011-12 and may push the home side all the way. John Collison to prove the difference between the two sides).
Uniting over ANA easily (ANA are an impossible side to select. One week they crumble against West Bentleigh and the next they crush Union. However, this game needs no analysis other than to hand another 6 points to the lads from Centenary Park).
Le Page over Centrals just (Both teams’ need two wins in remaining games, albeit for differing reasons. Hampton will throw their entire arsenal at the Panthers but fall short due to the efforts of Greer, McConchie and De Silva).
West over Mackie just (Sean Holmes looks forward to this fixture each year and the fact remains that Mackie have never beaten the Cowboys in Longmuir Shield. Current form would suggest my tip to be folly but West always find something against their Glen Eira counterparts. Sean Holmes for a big score and Chopper Reid to take a Michelle).
East Sandy over The Heath comfortably (The golfers were cock-a-hoop after their resounding victory last time out, but meeting the Juggernaut on the rebound at their home patch will be taxing at the least. Luke Dallas to star in a big win).

Good luck to all

Quasi

Back