City Of Moorabbin Cricket Association 2011/12

GECC want to get grounds ready for footy, tell me how do cricketers stuff up grounds
I noticed on the weekend our ground was heavily seeded during the week. Not sure what council need to do but watch the damn stuff grow!! Can't see what an extra week would do?
Still, it's all done and dusted and can't change it now... it's a real pity as the CMCA saw this coming a mile out and did nothing about it. Here's hoping we can host any sort of grand final next year :mad:

What a fantastic year of cricket we have had.
Tons galore, wickets a plenty, a new generation of cricketers and plenty of old hands adding exciting new chapters to their already illustrious careers.

And so six months of cricket will come down to two days of what should be enthralling play.

My tips to follow, but first, my five favourite moments of season 2011/12:

5) Simon Surridge – The man is an ornament to our great competition and has had one of his best seasons with the ball. 33 Longmuir wickets at just 8.8 is just remarkable and it includes 3 five wicket hauls. He is in prime form coming into Saturday’s big match and will be the difference between the two sides

4) Ash Russell – 141* vs. Brighton Union: - Round 6: Russell had a tough time of it on day one against Union in round 6. With figures of 0/48 after 12 overs and chasing an imposing 248 for victory, Russell came to the crease at 2/68. With remarkable stroke making, power and touch he scored 141* and guided Uniting to an eight wicket win with twenty overs to spare.

3) Simon Richards – 93 vs. Carnegie South – Semi Final #1: What a performance by this young man, one of the great innings he has surely played and demonstrated the enormous depth that Bentleigh Uniting have

2) Luke Manders: Wow! 832 runs and 30 first XI wickets is genuine talent. I’m backing him to break the 1000 barrier this weekend. His season has included three centuries (104, 170 & 180) as well as three five wicket hauls (5/27, 7/43 & 8/49). Never has there been so much asked of just one man at any club and boy hasn’t he delivered?

And finally to my favourite moment.....................................

1) Shaun Fisher – 118 vs. Melbourne Wanderers – Preliminary Final:

Yes. This is my favourite moment of season 2011/12. I was an impartial onlooker yesterday afternoon and it was an innings that I will remember for a long, long time to come. It was clean and brutal batting at its very best which included 13 fours and six sixes. After a near faultless year by Washington Park’s Quiney side, they lost their first final and were stuttering at 2/6 in pursuit of the Wanderers tally of 205. Enter S. Fisher and 90 minutes later…the game was over

And so to my tips for the top two grades:

Longmuir Shield:
Bentleigh Uniting vs. East Sandringham:

Uniting will go back to back this weekend and should win quite comfortably. Surridge, Russell, Lalor, Richards…how can you compete with the likes of that?

Woolnough Shield:
Aspendale Gardens vs. Washington Park

Manders vs. 11 hungry, desperate, ruthless men who are all after redemption. The Sharks should prevail in what will be another brilliant contest.

So there you have it folks. The cricket season is over for another year. May all teams play well this weekend and I wish all teams nothing but success.

1) Shaun Fisher – 118 vs. Melbourne Wanderers – Preliminary Final:

Yes. This is my favourite moment of season 2011/12. I was an impartial onlooker yesterday afternoon and it was an innings that I will remember for a long, long time to come. It was clean and brutal batting at its very best which included 13 fours and six sixes. After a near faultless year by Washington Park’s Quiney side, they lost their first final and were stuttering at 2/6 in pursuit of the Wanderers tally of 205. Enter S. Fisher and 90 minutes later…the game was over

Mr.N, whilst you will remember it for a long, long time i assure you i will NEVER forget it (nightmares). He top edged 1 shot early on (hooking) and after that i honest think he middled every singled shot from that point on until he nicked one behind on 118. I have played 15+ years of senior cricket in the CMCA and i have never seen anyone hit the ball so clean. Including one of biggest 6's landing on the tennis club roof. Massive.

I will have nightmares, no doubt.

Does he get picked in the 1's now??
Jimmy,
Makes for a VERY interesting selection night this week - which is great for the club...
Hats off to the guy who says he was down on confidence and did not consider himself to be part of our best 11, or 12 in his words - and asked to be dropped. Personally I believe he's always been a firsts player - just ask the westars who he smashed all over the place in last years Prelim. He won us the game off his own bat. Now he's had a good chance to get in early and get a good hit, which is hard batting at 7 or 8 in the ones here's hoping he puts his hand up for selection at the top level where he belongs IMHO.

For those that are interested, the F Grade GF has been moved from Elwood to Simpson Reserve because, like GECC, the City of Port Philip won't allow the reserve days.

Also, congratulations to the teams playing off in all grand finals this weekend. A special tip of the hat to the Sharks who this beach boy has always been fond of (even though their Fours knocked our Fours out last weekend :( ). I have a lot of time for the Sharks, particularly Chris Gorrie, and hope they can win a few flags this year.

And Mr. Nervous, a fine compendium of individual achievements you've listed there. It would be remiss of me not to point out that Elwood's Rob De Haan finished the season with 37 Longmuir wickets -- equalling the second greatest ever Longmuir haul by an Elwood player. He now shares that record with Humphrey Hughes who achieved that in our only Longmuir premiership year in 86/87 (with 2 extra games) -- and for those that played against Humphrey you'll know that he was quite the fast bowler and rightfully revered at Elwood.

Anyway, good luck to Uniting and ESBC in the title fight. I'll be down there to watch what will no doubt be an intriguing final between two CMCA powerhouses.

Bad luck to the Spiders and Golfers, but you both had great seasons and should be proud of that, for what it's worth.

Not everyone can win on Sunday but for those that do, I'm sure the refreshments will taste superb on Sunday night!

Could any of the forumsters please let us know what night is the CMCA brownlow '' player of the year night '' ? and where its being held ?
Thought i may drop in for a look, but alas , nothing mentioned on the web site, pretty ordinary effort.

Could any of the forumsters please let us know what night is the CMCA brownlow '' player of the year night '' ? and where its being held ?
Thought i may drop in for a look, but alas , nothing mentioned on the web site, pretty ordinary effort.

G.Knight Sportsgoods Longmuir Shield Player of the Year night
Last updated: Tuesday March 20, 2012 4:01PM
The Longmuir Shield Player of the Year vote count is being held at the Mentone RSL on the 21st March, arrival 7.00pm for 7.30pm start.
Favorites to win the prestigious award include Glen Lalor, Rob De Haan, Guy Martyn, Nuwan Shiroman, Simon Surridge, Steve McConchie and Luke Shelton but could there be a smokey lurking in the shadows?
The evening also includes the announcement of the Longmuir Shield Team of the Year and presentations to our victorious Wright Shield winning Under 21 team and player of the tournament.

bullet_next.gif
Back

G.Knight Sportsgoods Longmuir Shield Player of the Year night
Last updated: Tuesday March 20, 2012 4:01PM
The Longmuir Shield Player of the Year vote count is being held at the Mentone RSL on the 21st March, arrival 7.00pm for 7.30pm start.
Favorites to win the prestigious award include Glen Lalor, Rob De Haan, Guy Martyn, Nuwan Shiroman, Simon Surridge, Steve McConchie and Luke Shelton but could there be a smokey lurking in the shadows?
The evening also includes the announcement of the Longmuir Shield Team of the Year and presentations to our victorious Wright Shield winning Under 21 team and player of the tournament.

Hope the night goes well Jimmy, thanks for the quick response.

Others in the hunt for the smokey would be Dolman, Biggs, Kuzma, Gregory, Park, Russell [ may not have played enough ], and probably a few more who i've forgotten, anyway, good luck to all the boys.

bullet_next.gif
Back

Mr.N, whilst you will remember it for a long, long time i assure you i will NEVER forget it (nightmares). He top edged 1 shot early on (hooking) and after that i honest think he middled every singled shot from that point on until he nicked one behind on 118. I have played 15+ years of senior cricket in the CMCA and i have never seen anyone hit the ball so clean. Including one of biggest 6's landing on the tennis club roof. Massive.

I will have nightmares, no doubt.

As an interested onlooker that was one of the biggest 6s i think i have ever seen... i turned up to have a look ended staying the whole game.. How could i leave once he got going then once he went out, the finish was very tight.

Ill say dehaan for the b&f. Chubbs up there too.
Congrats to east sandy on the weekend, were too good for us. I hope the boys learn from the 2 big losses and come back fighting again next year.
My money would be on uniting to go back to back.
thanks to all involved in the cmca for a great season of cricket, and best of luck to the blokes fighting it out for the bacon.
See a bunch of the BCF boys tonight and on the weekend.

Back