Britt 7
McConville 5
Richards 4
Cody 3
Turner 2
Zaia 1

De Haan to win with 14, 10 votes in first 4 rounds

Got there in the end, Sugar??

Kudos to Brian Wilson and his Beach Boys on keeping us updated via Twitter. Congrats to De Haan and all players named in the TOTY.

Cheers Mick.

I was having a Tweet-off with Uniting on the next table to break the news first. Must be the journo in me that made sure we got the scoop.

Congratulations to all the players selected for the Team of the Year and for Glenn and Guy being named captain and vice captain respectively.

Congratulations too to Glenn for being named the Twenty20 player of the year.

A pat on the back to Mark for his peerless MC-ing qualities :)

And, last but not least, congratulations to Elwood's own Rob De Haan for winning the CMCA player of the year award. A fantastic season by a fantastic bowler and a top bloke to boot.

Good luck again to all teams playing this weekend.

Preliminary Final Preview
Unfortunately, I am away fishing this weekend and all I know about fishing can be written on the back of a postage stamp.

So, I will be brief.

ESBC to defeat Carnegie South, never tip against East Sandy in a final as per 1st semi.

I'll be back next week with a full review of this game, the outcome of the Knights Sports Awards and the Grand Final preview.

Preliminary Final Review

Pretty much went to script as the Juggernaut posted yet another finals win at the expense of the Spiders. Just shows you that finals pressure is not a myth and runs on the board ever more crucial. 161 may have seen a gettable target, enter old stagers like Glenn Phelan and it may as well have been 250 plus. Full credit to Carnegie, who should be well pleased with their season and if they keep the likes Perera and the Schleiger’s around they will be thereabouts in 2013

Grand Final Preview

Uniting over East Sandy just (They have been almost unbeatable for two years, but I feel East may push them all the way, especially if they post a plus 150 total and get Lalor cheaply. If Uniting bat first and post a large total it is game over, so the toss will be crucial. Normally it is the experienced types such as Lalor, Surridge, Phelan and Bennett that shine in the big dance, so expect contributions from each, but ultimately it will be the Maroon and Golds defending their title. Chubbs to be man of the match).

Good luck to all

Quasi

PS: Congratulations to Rob De Haan for an excellent season causing the minor upset in the Knights Player of the Year Award.

East will play their rings off but cannot tip against Uniting, the Wooly is harder to pick, it is all about Luke's performance as The Sharks are a more rounded team with more depth but he is so far above the standard it aint fair. If Washington get him cheap look out, the Gardeners attack is under rated though and Luke is good enough to rip through any batting line up if he slips himself. I am going to start picking splinters out of my arse now Archie but if Washups get Luke for under 60 they will win, otherwise I like the Gardeners. Really looking forward to this game. Washups in Quiney, Southside in D Grade, Shamrock in E, Chelt Park in F, East Bent in G, Uniting in H, Mackie in I. Normie Smith to Brett Turner who is due and might bat well against East's attack.

Congratulations Lalor on Wednesday nights effort a fine year from you. I just hope that chubbs brings a spare helmet just to fit your head in. Good luck to you and the uniting boys you'll need it!

My tips are Bentleigh Uniting to win Longy and the Shark's Ones and Twos to bring the bacon home to Packer Park. Washington must have been working very hard during the last couple of years for this particular weekend. I hope it goes to plan for them.

Also congrats to Farmer Handley for making the team of the year and coming 3rd behind De Haan and Lalor. I would have loved to have backed that trifecta as I'm sure he slipped under every radar.

I'm tipping Bentleigh Uniting in a close one. East must bat first and make 200+....pretty obvious!
I'm tipping Lalor & Russell to get runs & Martyn & Singh are the keys for East....
Ash Russell for the Norm Smith with an all round display!
Aspendale aka Team Manders to win Wooly & get promoted. Manders to star with Bat & ball. Has added a few kg's i noticed on Wed night too!
I think us, Le Page will win Quiney with a pretty experienced side in. A couple of good young fellas too.
I'm tipping it to go right down to the wire though. Washington with Gorrie & Naidu will be a tough team to overcome.
Wonder if Shaun Fisher gets promoted after making 118.......
Sir Allan Brudar to get another bag of wickets & a few runs!

Here it is gents. The weekend we’ve all been waiting for. Or is it? We might see some cricket next weekend with the inclement weather predicted. Hopefully the cricket Gods are smiling and we can get an uninterrupted weekend. The finals series thus far has been played in perfect conditions. We can only hope for more of the same.

Longmuir
Firstly on last weekend. Marto, along with Corp restored order after a mini collapse and the skipper then set the tone with the bat allowing Corpy to play the support role. The loss of Guy was a vital breakthrough before tea and one felt Carnegie had the chance to assert themselves on the contest. That they did as the brittleness of the ES batting line up was once again exposed. Corpy, continued to hold the innings together and played an outstanding knock of 50* to get the side into a position of having a defendable total. An early wicket overnight set the game up for an enthralling Sunday. Onto Sunday and a poor effort from Snape to back up the Pom import left his partner stranded and a run out ensued. The next partnership would be crucial and so it proved. Snape continued to look disinterested in running the quick singles and taking the game on and at 2/15 off 22 overs you sensed that ES might be able to strangle the life out of the CS batting. Perera though, started to turn the game with excellent stroke play and it must be said that the Le Page outfield was a batsman’s nightmare with no reward for excellent shots. However, Perera continued to attack and set the Spiders up nicely leading into tea. Enter one G. Phelan (aka Mr March) and the game would be turned on its head. Biggie snaffled Perera in the last over before tea then claimed Schleiger 2 balls later to have the Spiders in trouble. Coming back from the break the first hour was always going to be important. Unfortunately, the web had been woven and the Spiders had trapped themselves. Sadly for Snape he didn’t have the support of his teammates out in the middle. Whilst his running between wickets (or lack of) was questionable, the kid really dug in and looks to be a bright proposition in Carnegie South’s future. If they can keep the import and find suitable replacements for the old stagers in Gallagher & Handley, they’ll be around the mark for years to come. A disappointing end to a great season from Bruce’s lads.
Kudos to Le Page on their hosting duties. Ran a good ship with 2 games on adjoining grounds. The only blight is the Kingston Council’s inability to get the grass short enough to reward the batsmen for quality shots.

Now to the big dance; much of the talk surrounding this battle royale reminds me of the great Muhammad Ali facing off against Larry Holmes. East Sandy, once the greatest, find themselves the underdog in a title fight with the new challenger and a far more superior outfit. But I digress. Whilst they aren’t the powerhouse they once were, there’s still plenty left in the tank to bring Ray back to Chisholm. The Pom has looked promising without delivering, Devereaux has had the year from hell with the bat, Barney’s dropped his pace, but looks more accurate and Dallas hasn’t yet greased the ‘new’ elbow. Plenty of upside to them and besides the Pom they’ve all been integral parts of an unparalleled dynasty. They're battled hardened for this kind of contest. Not only this, but according to many Uniting only have to turn up to get the chocolates heaping the pressure on the Billionaires.
Call me bias, call me insane, but I’m backing the gold caps to get the job done. Uniting have rarely shown signs of weakness, but as the great Leigh Matthews said, “If it bleeds, you can kill it.” ESBC have the tools and the ability to dismantle Uniting and this might just be their moment to do it. Martyn & Corp have led the way. The bowling has kept sides honest, Biggie loves this time of year and as mentioned, there's plenty of upside to the names previously mentioned. Uniting are a class act, but I have a hunch this one will be remembered as the one that got away.
Just as a side note, a comment was made on the weekend that this match could be likened to the Iran/Iraq war. Observers will be happy to see a high body count with no care for a winner. Great analogy and very amusing indeed.

Woolnough
Well done to Spongebob’s boys on setting themselves up for another crack at Longmuir. Sadly, there’s just not enough sting in their bowling attack to get the job done. They’re an honest attack and will give a good account of themselves, but Manders is in a league of his own and 1,000 Woolnough runs (162 to go) are not beyond him. They are a one man band at the Gardens, but the likes of Hanson, Harvey and Tonkin are not to be underestimated. It was only 4 seasons ago that Harvey blasted 150 against Moorabbin West to set up the former RSL’s last premiership. Finocchiaro will do enough to apply the pressure from one end as Manders will get the job done from the other. With Wilson, Fuller and Mannix as an able support cast I’m expecting another year of heartache at Shark Park. I’m as certain of this as I am that Manders will miss his flight out of the country on Mad Monday.

Quiney
Big gay Al to once again prove the difference and compound the misery for the Wash Ups. No doubt Big Dogg Inc. jockey, Dr. Squeak, will be riding his boys home from the bar at Chisholm Res. Just be careful not to crack the whip too hard with that bung shoulder.
D – The Playhouse Bandits. Made a tough call on a couple of kids last night, but will be rewarded come late Sunday afternoon.
E – Aspendale Gardens. Great effort from 4th and being skittled for 61 on the first day of the finals series.
F – Finally some joy at Packer Park. Wash Ups in a close one against captain Sotters.
G – Archie Baker’s boys to bring some joy to Mackie Reserve.
H – Brighton District to ensure a sombre evening is had by the Units.
I– Daily double for the Machine.
Special mention to Unting and Wash Ups who have dominated across the grades in season 11/12. Uniting’s 4 sides in 4 finals series in the top 4 grades must be unprecedented?
Good luck to all sides competing on the weekend.

I'm tipping Bentleigh Uniting in a close one. East must bat first and make 200+....pretty obvious!
I'm tipping Lalor & Russell to get runs & Martyn & Singh are the keys for East....
Ash Russell for the Norm Smith with an all round display!
Aspendale aka Team Manders to win Wooly & get promoted. Manders to star with Bat & ball. Has added a few kg's i noticed on Wed night too!
I think us, Le Page will win Quiney with a pretty experienced side in. A couple of good young fellas too.
I'm tipping it to go right down to the wire though. Washington with Gorrie & Naidu will be a tough team to overcome.
Wonder if Shaun Fisher gets promoted after making 118.......
Sir Allan Brudar to get another bag of wickets & a few runs!
The cat's out of the bag Squeak...thanks to our highly efficient scorer! Fish to play in the Wooly GF with us, Machin has been the one to make way - although he made 140+ just a couple of weeks ago in the magoos and will more than likely open the batting. Should be a good game!!!

Very thorough Uncle, where do you find the time?
Tips Uniting to win (I think Jimmy is on the money re: buckets taking to the east attack) and Sharks to beat Manders (he is due to fail!!!)

Mick,
Surely you are not suggesting that the mighty Juggernaut are a collection of brain damaged individuals? To even mention the Ali-v-Holmes as a contest brings shame to the once noble sport of boxing. If you must use an analogy then it has to be the rumble in the jungle when George Foreman was meant to obliterate Ali in the first round and just never quite got there.

The Juggernaut to shock the world and regain their title for the reasons Mick outlined.

The Washup's to exorcise the ghosts of last season and gain promotion back to Longmuir.

Army any chance of some sort of analysis of the Quiney final since you played against both teams.

Good luck to all and hopefully all the spectators will be on their best behaviour.

PH - plenty of time sitting at home recovering from an ankle op.
Clocker - I'm using the analogy to describe the general consensus of the CMCA community. It appears most think ES are washed up and wasting Uniting's time by turning up. My personal opinion is the Rumble in the Jungle analogy will be far more accurate when we hit 6pm on Sunday.

PH - plenty of time sitting at home recovering from an ankle op.
Clocker - I'm using the analogy to describe the general consensus of the CMCA community. It appears most think ES are washed up and wasting Uniting's time by turning up. My personal opinion is the Rumble in the Jungle analogy will be far more accurate when we hit 6pm on Sunday.
Amen amigo.

Uncle mick
You are a washed up has been , too much to say and not enough results . The whole of Cmca community is behind uniting after east sandy efforts last week both on and off the field . We at Carnegie south and rest of comp hope you fall where you belong .
Time will tell .

Back