Cricket Albury Wodonga 2010/2011

Bit of a question from left field guys. Would people be interested in an IPL style 20/20 competition held on a wednesday night? Its only an idea a few of us have had at this stage, but the players would be selected from any club, any grade, and players would be trying to raise money for charity.

I think that's a cracking idea personally. Gives players a chance to get to know the players from other clubs (as well as play games alongside them, which for a loyal club guy like me probably won't happen much) and would be for a worthy cause. Could possibly also raise the interest level of cricket on the border, which is certainly not a bad thing.

Ok .... So aside from Panthers Oval, which other grounds (Provincial, district, other grounds, etc) can do night time matches?

Well given that the games would be in summer and once day light savings commenced, providing the games started no later than 530pm, you would not really require lights. The biggest problem would be is that there is no way you would get turf wickets up for mid week games. You have to appreciate that most clubs curate their own wickets in their own time for weekend games, so who would have time to prep wickets for mid week games as well.

The idea is still a good concept though......playing on hard wickets might prove quite the challenge for the higher grades not used to it.

I dont know how well it would go down the track, it could either turn into the senior players playing every game and not giving the rest of the club a crack at it, or no one wants to play or cant play and turns into scraping for numbers. Sometimes hard enough to get players for a saturday, let alone wednesday arvi's.
But playing on synthetic shouldnt matter because everyone trains on hard wickets.
Any club swapping happening?

have heard eskdale possibly fielding a's and c's as well as juniors in district comp and putting in a turf wicket

I dont know how well it would go down the track, it could either turn into the senior players playing every game and not giving the rest of the club a crack at it, or no one wants to play or cant play and turns into scraping for numbers. Sometimes hard enough to get players for a saturday, let alone wednesday arvi's.
But playing on synthetic shouldnt matter because everyone trains on hard wickets.
Any club swapping happening?
The idea is for players from all sides, provincial, district, etc being put into a pool and selected by the sponsors. Players will not be selected in teams (eg: north albury, dederang, tallangatta, etc), but the overall point is to mix and match players and raise money for charities.

The idea is for players from all sides, provincial, district, etc being put into a pool and selected by the sponsors. Players will not be selected in teams (eg: north albury, dederang, tallangatta, etc), but the overall point is to mix and match players and raise money for charities.

If that is the case, just wondering how many sponsors will want C grade players in their team ? I'm guessing they would all prefer to have A grade players in their side and most C grade players (myself included) would never get selected.

boooohoooooo

Not a very intelligent comment Patty. Have you been reading the whole thread or just the last couple of comments. Next time try to say something a bit more constructive, rather than being childish.

For the record,I don't think I would make myself available anyway as I will probably be too busy to play.

What about a straight knockout competition played over 1 weekend.
Do a draw and i mean a proper draw out of a hat or bucket or wateva you want to use and when you lose you are out.
You could either mix Prov and Dist or have 2 separate competitions.

enough of this hit and giggle talk, we know it wont get up and running.

any news on clearances, north will be the team to beat this year if the rumours of andrew lade and josh warren marmo are true of them going there.

any news on clearances, north will be the team to beat this year if the rumours of andrew lade and josh warren marmo are true of them going there.

I reckon Tallangatta would be pretty dirty on Ladey if he was to leave now that Woody's retired. Bit rough of him to leave now when they need him the most. You'd hate to see them get relegated to District and never return.

I did hear on the grapevine that they've offered huge amounts of money to a number of players around the league so maybe it's true. Not sure what sort of money Woody and Ladey were getting paid but I've heard of players being offered up to $10k for the season. Not sure how you can justify paying that sort of money in a league like CAW. And this is for guys already playing in the comp! Not sure there's anyone playing at the moment that's worth half that!

Have also heard the Lade and Marmo rumour.LAde is apparently going back as it will be Bartos last yr playing and they have always wanted to have 1 more year together.
Other news ive heard is that former Mt Beauty coach Brad Whitefield will be coaching Dederang.

Have also heard the Lade and Marmo rumour.LAde is apparently going back as it will be Bartos last yr playing and they have always wanted to have 1 more year together.
Other news ive heard is that former Mt Beauty coach Brad Whitefield will be coaching Dederang.

Aaaaawh, how romantic.

I reckon Tallangatta would be pretty dirty on Ladey if he was to leave now that Woody's retired. Bit rough of him to leave now when they need him the most. You'd hate to see them get relegated to District and never return.

I did hear on the grapevine that they've offered huge amounts of money to a number of players around the league so maybe it's true. Not sure what sort of money Woody and Ladey were getting paid but I've heard of players being offered up to $10k for the season. Not sure how you can justify paying that sort of money in a league like CAW. And this is for guys already playing in the comp! Not sure there's anyone playing at the moment that's worth half that!
True, it would be heartbreaking for Tallangatta to lose another paid import:p I'm sure there are plenty of other players out there who are willing to play for $$$. Maybe they should stick to playing locals and leave the dollars out of it. If that means they are relegated to District maybe thats where they belong like most teams outside of Albury/Wodonga who have pay $$$ to even be competitive.:rolleyes:

Isn't Dixon the Coach of Dederang Fast Man? or is he moving on as well?
With Marmo heading back to Nth what is their young Keeper going to do? Wood and Lade out of Tallangatta is going to mean some serious issues fore the Bushies? Any other movements out there?

Isn't Dixon the Coach of Dederang Fast Man? or is he moving on as well?
With Marmo heading back to Nth what is their young Keeper going to do? Wood and Lade out of Tallangatta is going to mean some serious issues fore the Bushies? Any other movements out there?

Unsure of what Dixon is doing in regards to if he is staying at Dederang or not.
Have heard from more than 1 person the Whitefield rumour though.

Having a mates comp wouldn't that conflict with The Hume comp????
Mid week cricket would be ok in Jan/Feb but with some much cricket being played you might turn a few more guys away .Which would make numbers even lower at some clubs. !!!!!
Expect some big movements soon with some older guys looking for a flag before they retire.
So Lavi finally got Smith after 3 years he would want to make a few and take a shit load of wickets.
What do the Raiders need to get over the line this season??? Or more to the point who !!!

Whats everyones thoughts on Keeno going to New City to coach? I havent spoken to TBall on Tonky but I wonder if they will be impressed. I would have thought that we could have kept him if he wanted to coach? But thats only opinion, I'm not on the commitee. Lavi North Grand final 11/12

Back