Cricket Albury/wodonga

Hello all, i have been holidays but news travelled pretty quickly to perth that wodonga lost to lavington? what happened there? did wodonga take the foot of the pedal or did lavington have a blinder? is it true that the scores werent in the paper? probly another robbie jackson influence that they lost so wodonga didnt put them in, classic jackson.

I see belvoir arent going as well as we all thought. i personally thought they would be in the top two, how wrong i was. whats happening there? team not gelling? or just not as good as we thought?

Is there any more rep cricket going on?

Will we get any cricket this week, or will it just be a one dayer next week?

Match of the round in Prov......Raiders V North......Raiders desperate for a win at home, North struggling and without Farrell......might be a close game!

Noticed a certain player for Wodonga scored yet another blob, is there a spot for him come finals time?

Also heard Farrell played 2's for North Albury, and hit an amazing 219*, why is he playing 2's in the first place?

Noticed a certain player for Wodonga scored yet another blob, is there a spot for him come finals time?

Also heard Farrell played 2's for North Albury, and hit an amazing 219*, why is he playing 2's in the first place?
Apparently he had an altercation with a North Albury supporter and was dropped to the 2's and took it out on our 14 year old kids hitting them to all parts of the ground. Pretty poor form Middo surely suspending him would have more effect than helping your 2's take top spot on the ladder.:rolleyes: Bad luck to our A grade boys so near yet so far, not a bad effort with 3 of our best 4 players (McGregor, Beardy and Griff) missing for the rest of the year. We've laid the foundations for a strong future with our kids and hopefully with a new coach and 4-5 senior players we'll be in great shape in 12 months.:)

Apparently he had an altercation with a North Albury supporter and was dropped to the 2's and took it out on our 14 year old kids hitting them to all parts of the ground. Pretty poor form Middo surely suspending him would have more effect than helping your 2's take top spot on the ladder.:rolleyes: Bad luck to our A grade boys so near yet so far, not a bad effort with 3 of our best 4 players (McGregor, Beardy and Griff) missing for the rest of the year. We've laid the foundations for a strong future with our kids and hopefully with a new coach and 4-5 senior players we'll be in great shape in 12 months.:)
Maybe not the right thing to do by the Club but I don't think you can lay the blame solely on The Coach as I'm sure North like most other clubs have a selection panel. Also I don't think you can blame North for trying to finish on top of the ladder as we all know how the weather can be come March. Good luck in your endeavours to recruit for next season and the following seasons Raider Boi but I'd be more worried about tying up the players you have before you start looking for others.

Never been a fan of 6 teams playing finals in a 10 team comp......but now we have top 6 for comps that only have 7 and 8 teams.....guess you can win one game throughout the year, jag a win in the finals and make the GF......what a joke!!!!!!

Last edited:
This forum has got ver quiet. lets get some talk up and about. lets recap from last game. east albury seem to be going along nicely, but how much will they miss tom wells when he goes back to england? new city did well to get as close as they did. st pats shwed that they are still a darkhorse for the flag, easily beating lavington who really seem like they are just making up the numbers. tallangatta have stumbled a bit of late but still look dangerous enough beating belvoir who are probably rhe most disappointing result of the season. they did talk up their chances howerver now only just in the finals race. north and raiders are really battling at the moment, both a fair bit off the pace. i dont think you can blame north for playing farrell in seconds, whats the difference if he got dropped for form? at least it shows that middo isnt picking his mates and no one is a walk up starter. and the big story for the weekend was albury beating wodonga. 2 losses in 2 games for the team that 'had one hand on the cup' what a joke, obviously thought they had it won, but you dont win premierships before christmas. i wonder how many people will leave before next season. even with the 'big recruits' they still rely on robbie jackson to win.

Good summary Mick
Are imports really worth it in the long run? I mean there are a few guys who have done really well, but i have noticed how inconsistant they.
Looks like the final 6 are settled, anything can happen in finals. I im tipping St Pats in the long run.
As you said above Mick, Wodonga rely on Robbie Run Machine Jackson too much.
Hopefully Belvoir or Lavington can get an early win in the first week of finals!

I wonder what Robbie Jackson thinks about Robbie Mckinlays comments about Sam Harris being the best leader in the comp.
Was an excellent innings by Harris yesterday, stayed cool under pressure.
Tallangatta out. Very rough.
Hopefully Lavington can beat Wodonga this weekend, & St Pats to beat East

With the Hall of Fame on tomorrow night why do CAW see it as such a secret?????? I don't mean the incoming players just the promotion of what should be a fantastic event.

With the Hall of Fame on tomorrow night why do CAW see it as such a secret?????? I don't mean the incoming players just the promotion of what should be a fantastic event.

Any thoughts on who might be inducted? Couple of ex-Lavi players who were nominated last time would have to be just about sure things. Dave Coulston and Steve Wright. Can't remember who else was nominated.

Any others that weren't eligible last time that would be a chance?

Any thoughts on who might be inducted? Couple of ex-Lavi players who were nominated last time would have to be just about sure things. Dave Coulston and Steve Wright. Can't remember who else was nominated.

Any others that weren't eligible last time that would be a chance?

Margaret Lade?

Am I the only one struggling with the qualification rules for finals in the lower grades?

It should be fairly simple however there is a few loopholes for those blokes who havent played many games for the season.

1.The base qualification to be able to take part in finals is 6 weeks of cricket for your club ie 3 two day games 6 one day games.

2.The next factor is games played in a higher grade, which means if you have played too many games (7 in provincial 5 in district) in that higher grade you cannot play finals in a lower grade unless you still have all the consecutive higher graded sides above the grade you exceeded the limit in still in the finals (ok i admit that one is a little confusing).

3.The one that seems to be causing the most conflict is the down grading rule which states you can only go down 1 grade 1 round at a time unless of course if you have had a 2 match break without playing.

The issue with the above is for example you have an A grader that has only played 5 games all in A grade then got injured say he takes 3 weeks off when he comes back rule 1 and 2 dont apply as they have played the minumum 6 weeks of cricket to qualify but havent reached the limit of 7 matches which locks them to the higher grade and they have had their 2 match break, technically there is nothing stopping an A grade cricketer dropping back to to play C grade div 3 .......well nothing except morals fairness and decency which obviously a few clubs lack this time of the year.
all that needs to be done is a rule inserted that states to player a lower grade in finals you must have at least played 3 games in that grade at some point in the season unless all your consecutive teams above that are still in finals......that would stop a few of these washed up cowboys who havent played a game in that grade all year trying to come back and steal flags off the young kids.
If i hear the excuse again that "we were short and just filling up numbers" i will spew in mouth, if that was the case and you were just filling the numbers why come back and open the batting with one of the guys in question and the bowling with the other give it a rest....give the kids a go you mugs.

The other one that has been let go through is a few juniors had played c grade all year and played 1 off games in A grade last round of the year in A grade sides that were not going to make finals to give them a bit of a go, the board decided that in the best interests of junior cricket development that rule 3 above wouldnt apply and let them go back to C grade the next week for the first week of finals and skip b grade.
I think its good the board have shown a bot of common sense in the above instance but i hope that where it stops and we dont see clubs start trying to push the boundaries with kids who aren't current juniors etc.

Anyway good luck to all teams next week in the GF.

Lets get some talk going about the grand finals. i feel sorry for both district sides, even though eskdale won i cant help but feel sorry for both sides as playing on a wet pitch isnt fair and the game was decided on the toss of the coin, if yack bowled first, they would have won. well done to eskdale though, had a great year! i was at alexander park on sunday watching st pats knock off east albury, and i noticed how much more intense finals are, i have seen only a couple of first grade games when we arent playing during the uear. east albury cranked up the chatter and went really hard at the paddies, especially their lower order, was good to see paddies get up though. i saw on the news last night abd the night before somehighlights of the lavi and wodonga game. correct me if im wrong, but it seemed that wodonga had lavi's measure nearly right from the get go? it seemed a pretty comfortable 6 wicket win? i did see that both james tonkin and one of the pace bowlers get wickets and there reactions were a bit over the top. i wonder if there was a few send offs by the looks of the way the batsmen looked around. i personally dont like it when bowlers give send offs, getting the batsmen out is enough without going on with it like a fool. who are everyones tips for the weekend. i think paddies will get up, but not by much. i think wodonga will get up in the seconds, they have some really good names playing in there.

on a completely different note now that the season is nearly over, im intersested to find out everyones thoughts on the following questions as a rap up of the season.
Biggest improver- new city- they made some good inroads in the first half of the year before they dropped off. well done though
biggest disappointment-belvoir, they talked themselves up and only scraped into finals, i dont see good leadership at the club.
biggest surprise-i thought lavington would drop off after most of they premiership side from last year gone, well done robby mackinlay
what changes should be made for next year- having a match referee for the grand final is a joke, an extra person that we have to pay and he isnt going to do anything. waste of money, just making someone feel wanted, when they arent good enough to umpir the granny!
who did people hate to play against- i heard our seniors say that raiders acted like gooses when they played them, but i think everyone would agree that at the moment, wodonga are the scum of this league (the bullioh of CAW) i havent met a person who has a nice thing to say about rob jackson and since james tonkin has jumped, a lot of older senior players at st pats and tallangatta that ive spoken to have said they werent suprised he moved clubs because he is very selfish and doesnt play for the team (their words not mine!) are there any lavington people here that can comment on the subject? im not looking to start a anti-tonkin page but since the dust has settled id like to get a lavington perspective, the lavington people i have spoken to in person have not wanted to bring up the past.

Lets get some talk going about the grand finals. i feel sorry for both district sides, even though eskdale won i cant help but feel sorry for both sides as playing on a wet pitch isnt fair and the game was decided on the toss of the coin, if yack bowled first, they would have won. well done to eskdale though, had a great year! i was at alexander park on sunday watching st pats knock off east albury, and i noticed how much more intense finals are, i have seen only a couple of first grade games when we arent playing during the uear. east albury cranked up the chatter and went really hard at the paddies, especially their lower order, was good to see paddies get up though. i saw on the news last night abd the night before somehighlights of the lavi and wodonga game. correct me if im wrong, but it seemed that wodonga had lavi's measure nearly right from the get go? it seemed a pretty comfortable 6 wicket win? i did see that both james tonkin and one of the pace bowlers get wickets and there reactions were a bit over the top. i wonder if there was a few send offs by the looks of the way the batsmen looked around. i personally dont like it when bowlers give send offs, getting the batsmen out is enough without going on with it like a fool. who are everyones tips for the weekend. i think paddies will get up, but not by much. i think wodonga will get up in the seconds, they have some really good names playing in there.

on a completely different note now that the season is nearly over, im intersested to find out everyones thoughts on the following questions as a rap up of the season.
Biggest improver- new city- they made some good inroads in the first half of the year before they dropped off. well done though
biggest disappointment-belvoir, they talked themselves up and only scraped into finals, i dont see good leadership at the club.
biggest surprise-i thought lavington would drop off after most of they premiership side from last year gone, well done robby mackinlay
what changes should be made for next year- having a match referee for the grand final is a joke, an extra person that we have to pay and he isnt going to do anything. waste of money, just making someone feel wanted, when they arent good enough to umpir the granny!
who did people hate to play against- i heard our seniors say that raiders acted like gooses when they played them, but i think everyone would agree that at the moment, wodonga are the scum of this league (the bullioh of CAW) i havent met a person who has a nice thing to say about rob jackson and since james tonkin has jumped, a lot of older senior players at st pats and tallangatta that ive spoken to have said they werent suprised he moved clubs because he is very selfish and doesnt play for the team (their words not mine!) are there any lavington people here that can comment on the subject? im not looking to start a anti-tonkin page but since the dust has settled id like to get a lavington perspective, the lavington people i have spoken to in person have not wanted to bring up the past.
Yack won the toss and batted, Mick. From what I hear the pitch didn't have a lot to do with the result with the pressure of a Grand Final being the biggest influence.
Pretty spot on with the rest though.

Bit of talk around the traps yesterday regarding the rankings and whether or not Wodonga should have been awarded the premiership. Haven't looked at the rules myself but the word is that the rules on CAW's website only mention rankings at the end of the scheduled season.

If there's nothing in the rules about the rankings changing after the first week of finals should St Pat's have been declared the winner seeing as they finished the home and away season higher on the ladder?

Interesting to see if St Pats look further into this.

Back