Cricket Albury/wodonga

A big congrats must go to Wodonga for winning the comp. i no ive bin critical of them but you have to congratulate them on being the champs. a hollow win is better than any kind of loss. bad luck to st pats, a brilliant bunch of blokes who i have never heard a bad word against. it will be interesting to see how both teams go over the off season, i have heard that a few blokes in wodonga arent happy and wont be there next year, and st pats have a team of old blokes who surely must retire one day or at least slide down the grades a bit. im not looking forward to facing naughtin on synthetic or bowling to arendarchikas on a small ground!

Bit of talk around the traps yesterday regarding the rankings and whether or not Wodonga should have been awarded the premiership. Haven't looked at the rules myself but the word is that the rules on CAW's website only mention rankings at the end of the scheduled season.

If there's nothing in the rules about the rankings changing after the first week of finals should St Pat's have been declared the winner seeing as they finished the home and away season higher on the ladder?

Interesting to see if St Pats look further into this.
I thought it was strange when I heard Wodonga won, when I knew that St Pat's finished higher on the ladder at the end of the season. I always thought that the team that finished higher on the ladder were considered the winner if there was no result in any final. That's their reward for playing better throughout the whole season.

The rules are a bit vague...
2.12.6 Determining the Premier
The Premier team for the season shall be the team who wins by either a First Innings result or an
Outright Result. In the event of a draw, a tie or an incomplete match occurring without a First
Innings or Outright Result being achieved, the highest ranked team in the Grand Final will be
deemed the Premier.
Since St. Pats lost their first final, and Wodonga won both of theirs, I guess that means they become the higher ranked team. I think the league will clarify this rule before next season

The rules are a bit vague...
2.12.6 Determining the Premier
The Premier team for the season shall be the team who wins by either a First Innings result or an
Outright Result. In the event of a draw, a tie or an incomplete match occurring without a First
Innings or Outright Result being achieved, the highest ranked team in the Grand Final will be
deemed the Premier.
Since St. Pats lost their first final, and Wodonga won both of theirs, I guess that means they become the higher ranked team. I think the league will clarify this rule before next season
I think CAW should clarify it very quickly (by at least the end of the week), just to put things beyond doubt.

Interesting photo in the border mail today, with the dogs mad monday. 2 very noticeable absentees there are the 2 lavington recruits. tonkin and klien boonskate, we have all heard rumors that all was not right with wodonga, i just thought that it was because those two along wiht saker and ball were kicking the local kids that had gone through their junior system out of the side. be interesting if they are still there next year or the year after, by then ball willbe due to change anyway.

I think CAW should clarify it very quickly (by at least the end of the week), just to put things beyond doubt.
I agree it needs to be clarified or changed. Wodonga have been declared the Premiers, think about who they beat in the finals, Tallangatta who finished 4th and Lavington who finished 5th in the home and away games, not a team above them and they are declared Premiers in a washed out game just doesn't seem right to me. Now I know St Pats lost to Lavington but they also beat Easts who finished on top so shouldn't they go to number one ranking. Something else to think about a teams goes through the season undefeated wins the comp by 20-30 points comes to the finals for some reason loses their first semi, it could be something as simple as losing the toss a bowler breaks down whatever. The next week it rains and they are now ranked below the two teams who finished say 2nd and 3rd the way I see it they would be out. The fairest way as I see it is a final four 1 v 2, 3 v 4, then the loser of 1 v 2 plays the winner of 3 v 4 it rains then 1 or 2 wins. I know 1st or 2nd will get a week off if you play a peliminary final but atleast they get some reward for finishing 1st and 2nd.

I agree it needs to be clarified or changed. Wodonga have been declared the Premiers, think about who they beat in the finals, Tallangatta who finished 4th and Lavington who finished 5th in the home and away games, not a team above them and they are declared Premiers in a washed out game just doesn't seem right to me. Now I know St Pats lost to Lavington but they also beat Easts who finished on top so shouldn't they go to number one ranking. Something else to think about a teams goes through the season undefeated wins the comp by 20-30 points comes to the finals for some reason loses their first semi, it could be something as simple as losing the toss a bowler breaks down whatever. The next week it rains and they are now ranked below the two teams who finished say 2nd and 3rd the way I see it they would be out. The fairest way as I see it is a final four 1 v 2, 3 v 4, then the loser of 1 v 2 plays the winner of 3 v 4 it rains then 1 or 2 wins. I know 1st or 2nd will get a week off if you play a peliminary final but atleast they get some reward for finishing 1st and 2nd.

Why dont we keep it the same as it is now, but when it comes to a washed out game or a tie, whoever finishes higher on the home and away ladder gets to go through, regardless if they won or lost in the previous weeks final. that then will reward the team who has been the best all year.

Why dont we keep it the same as it is now, but when it comes to a washed out game or a tie, whoever finishes higher on the home and away ladder gets to go through, regardless if they won or lost in the previous weeks final. that then will reward the team who has been the best all year.
This appears to be the problem. St Patricks finished higher on the Home and Away ladder than Wodonga, but Wodonga was awarded the premiership, because they were the "higher ranked" team. No one on this forum seems to know how Wodonga became the "higher ranked" team.

And it's definitely not explained in the rules either. Highest ranked team gets mentioned but nothing in the rules to suggest who becomes the highest ranked team once the finals start. St.Pats real stiff IMO.
I agree with you TRS. IMHO, St Pats should have been awarded the premiership as they finished higher on the ladder than Wodonga after the home and away season, so should have had a higher ranking.

So does anyone know if St Pats are going to challenge the decision? If there's nothing in the rules that says the rankings change after the first round of the finals then surely St Pat's should be premiers. If Lavington had beaten Wodonga in the semi then they would have been the highest ranked team going off CAW's interpretation. I'm pretty sure it would've caused an uproar if Lavington were awarded the premiership for a washout after finishing fifth after the home and away season. Seems bizarre to me that Wodonga are premiers if there's nothing in the rules that says they should be.

I don't know why teams go through the whole season trying to finish as high as they can on the premiership ladder if it vitually means nothing when it comes to the final series. Surely teams must be rewarded for their effort during the home and away season. I have tried to find something in the rules that supports the CAW ranking system during the final series, can someone please point me in the right direction?.

I don't know why teams go through the whole season trying to finish as high as they can on the premiership ladder if it vitually means nothing when it comes to the final series. Surely teams must be rewarded for their effort during the home and away season. I have tried to find something in the rules that supports the CAW ranking system during the final series, can someone please point me in the right direction?.
Look as much as you like PP there is nothing there.

I have had a look at the rules and this is how I think CAW has set it up……well at least it is the only thing that makes sense.

After the home and away season the teams were ranked:
1st East
2nd Patties
3rd Tallangatta
4th Wodonga
5th Lavi
6th Belvoir

After the first final 1 def 6, 2 lost to 5, 3 lost to 4…….meaning that going into the semi finals, the new rankings were:

1st East
2nd Wodonga (as they defeated the higher ranked team)
3rd Lavi (as they defeated the higher ranked team)
4th Paddies (dropped from 2nd as they were the highest losing side)

So then in the semis:

1st lost and were knocked out
2nd won, moving them into 1st
3rd lost and were knocked out
4th won, moving them into 2nd

Grand final time…..1st ranked team (Wodonga) tied with the 2nd ranked team Paddies, and the rest is history!!!!!

I have had a look at the rules and this is how I think CAW has set it up……well at least it is the only thing that makes sense.

1st East
2nd Patties
3rd Tallangatta
4th Wodonga
5th Lavi
6th Belvoir

After the first final 1 def 6, 2 lost to 5, 3 lost to 4…….meaning that going into the semi finals, the new rankings were:

1st East

So then in the semis:

Grand final time…..1st ranked team (Wodonga) tied with the 2nd ranked team Paddies, and the rest is history!!!!!

That's all well and good, though Wodonga finished 3rd, not Tallangatta.

Last edited:
GHG as I said before Wodonga did not beat anyone ranked higher than them in the final series or anyone higher than them after the home and away competition. They beat 4th and 5th from the home and away comp. and if you are right 4th and 3rd from the final series thats if you are right I can't find evidence to support your theory.

1st East
2nd Patties
3rd Tallangatta
4th Wodonga
5th Lavi
6th Belvoir

1st East

So then in the semis:

I wouldn't have an issue with this if it was stated in the rules. The problem I see is that there's nowhere in the rules that says the teams should be re-ranked after the first round of finals. The rules only talk about the rankings at the end of the scheduled season. The way I read it, St Pats should be premiers.

Sorry, I assumed that Wodonga finished 4th, but the points on the mycricket website were not included for their final win against North and still has them sitting 5th......

The term 'highest ranking team in the finals' is the only term I made my assumption on, and if anyone can come up with an alternate that makes more sense, then good luck!

I don't agree with how it panned out, I was just simply offering a possible explaination........if clubs are not happy about it all, voice your opinions through your presidents at the next CAW meeting, because its crap the way it currently is......no reward for the better team throughout the season!

Surely someone from the CAW Board monitors this forum and they could tell us where to find the rule about teams being re-ranked after the first round of finals. :rolleyes:

A person in today's border mail made a good point, regardless of whether wodonga should have won or not, why did they reward a medal for MVP? the game was even finished and they gave it to robbie jackson, the other team didnt even get a chance to bat! what a joke. surely it would be bad enough knowing you had won the grand final by default, even though you werent the best team all year, or even the second best team, let a lone get a medal for only doing half a job. just another example of wodonga/robbie jackson getting what he/they want by bullying the league. why doesnt the other clubs and league committee stand up to them?

Back