Darwin & District Cricket - 2012

I bet the T.V committee will be so proud - money well spent!!

On my last post I commented that the Crocs would be firing, I wish to take that comment back and put them in a new category with Nightcliff - I bet you can all guess what end of the table I'm thinking.

My new favourite team is Darwin. These boys are taking the piss and batting left handed just to try and make it interesting for themselves

A long way off with the Crocs ''Johnny", I am sure they will be well coached but don't think they will have the cattle, still may upset the odd team throughout the year. Darwin started well last year, have to keep it up for the season, Pints to me are the favourites followed by Palmerston.

I agree with your TV comments, really taking the piss out of the competition and with another 4-5 players to come apparently? Waratahs still have Cockley to lob and maybe Faust so will improve and the Tigers while maybe not be premiership material but will improve over the next month or so. See how it pans out?

Round 3 - T201 - Wednesday 25th April
Waratah 7 for 130 defeated by Darwin 4 for 133 at Gardens Oval​
PINT 7 for 164 defeated Palmerston 7 for 156 at Marrara (2)​
Nightcliff 6 for 107 defeated by Tracy Village 2 for 111 at Marrara (1)​
Southern Districts - bye​
No real shock results here, TV have a couple more guys now while Sam Miller is actually playing for Waratah. Apparently TV have seven Kiwi first class players rocking up in June or July. The bad weather appears to be all out of the way until September.​
Round 4 - OD3 - Saturday 28th April
PINT vs Tracy Village at Marrara
Potentially the match of the round, TV and PINT have great history and while most of TV's side won't have experienced it, I'm sure that the club will be letting them know the significance of matches against PINT in prep for the Marg Coady Cup later in the year. Robins and Bell got going last week and it appears the PINT middle order are now starting to pull their weight. Usually Lavers follows up with some decent scores once he starts up. PINT to win this round.

Nightcliff vs Southern Districts at Nightcliff Oval
Southern Districts can beat the Tigers at home but their batsmen must fire. One could say last weeks loss was on the toss of the coin but both sides have plenty of work to do and don't want to fall behind the pack this early in the piece. Pearson enjoys feasting on medium attacks but may struggle to find support around him. Nightcliff will win this in a close one. Calkin is out for a couple of weeks in India as assistant fielding coach to an IPL team.

Palmerston vs Darwin at Woodroffe Oval
Both these sides will be eager to get a win here, if the Eagles get up, they'll more than likely get the chance to defend their OD title, while Palmerston can hold onto the mantle of premiership contenders. Both sides batting and bowling appear to be doing the job but this match will likely be a hiding to nothing for one side or the other. Darwin have the momentum.

Waratah - Bye

Round 4 - OD3 - Saturday 28th April
PINT tied with Tracy Village at Marrara
Nightcliff defeated Southern Districts at Nightcliff Oval
Palmerston defeated Darwin at Woodroffe Oval
Waratah - Bye

Good weekend of cricket with healthy scores made. Next weekend sees three matches played and will see a bit of ladder hopping if the results vary.

Great to see the weather improving as well, should be the end of that horrible weather! Better dust off my kite and get amongst it!

So what are the thoughts upon this weeks cricket, imports doing their fair share or are the local youngsters doing it all? A special mention to Patrick Pisel (17 years old and a current NTIS scholarships holder) who scored his first senior century in the Premier Grade for Darwin against Palmo out at Woodroffe. The lad batted through the innings from ball one and finished with 159* off 146 balls. Also good to see was good old Pearson amongst the runs yet again, or at least should i say increasing his average after compiling what must have been a gritty 7 runs against a very strong Crocs bowling attack.

Stay classy lads.

I originally joined this forum a few years ago, when intelligent people actually shared insightful comments, and much of it was done in a humorous way, (hence the "Darth Vadar" nickname , chosen because Krepapas reckoned Tracy Village was the Death Star).

But like Michael Pearson, I'm not afraid to share my identity - Matt Cavanagh. And let me tell you that I have never read such misinformed bullshit in my entire life, such that I felt it necessary to respond - if not for my clubs sake, but also for the sake of my wife and I as some of the comments have been extraordinarily personal. They crossed the line.

First of all our recruiting that seems to be of such interest to all you experts out there. Let me go on the record and tell you that our official recruiting policy is that we would dearly love to have all 11 Premier Grade players come from local suburbs and always aim to achieve that. We recruit to fill gaps and I challenge all of you hidden keyboard masterminds to come up with one local Villager good enough for A Grade that is currently missing out on a game.

What's the alternative? Play players that are not good enough and probably don't really even want to play Premier Grade. That's not providing opportunities, that's flogging a dead horse, and will more than likely drive those players away from the game. The players that want to make it are given every opportunity and like every President I wish we had more local players keen to play at the highest level. I deeply regret losing Paul Carbone, but the Shane McDermott situation was a tricky one. He was the club Captain and he chose to keep. We respected that and sadly lost one of our most promising juniors. We were thrilled to see Paul's progress last year despite being in the wrong colours and wish him all the best this year and beyond. We also tip that Ayden Allen-Vowles could prove equally as exciting and hopefully as good a Premier Grade player as young Paul.

As for how many imports, we initially planned for three which I'm sure even Pearson would agree is not too unreasonable, especially as there was no draft this year where clubs could cash in on free imports and do nothing for them...

We'd planned on two guys from Victoria, (Keen and Mire), and Chopsie now with Wellington. Turns out Chopsie had a word with the Wellington heirarchy and before long a whole heap of them wanted to come to the Village. What would you do? Turn them away, or try the best you can not to screw up an awesome cricket relationship with a wonderful NZ club? So we'll probably end up with a few more Kiwi's than planned but it is not at the expense of locals.

Chris Norvall came for free, (friend of Stuart Rigby - a former player), Craig Maney is a Duty Manager at the airport, and Luke Brennan is studying law at CDU and lives in Brinkin. Yes, they are new, but they are either locals or people that simply came to us. The chequebook is not thrown around like you idiots think.

As for Tim Paine, that was down to good luck and the fact that Tassie Tiger teammates Matty Day and Jezza Smith played with us over the last few years. He more or less came to us. We didn't chase him like Haddin, Manou, Cosgrove or any of the other people suggested by the brilliant minds out there. Fair dinkum, I've read several names of people on this forum that I'd never ever seen before, yet we were supposed to be recruiting them. The quality of the posts and the real knowledge of the gallery shows right there...

We also turned several guys away that also came knocking at our door. In fact we sent two of them on to Southern Districts as the early mail suggested they were struggling to field a Premier Grade team and we wanted to help. Fortunately the co-operation and respect amongst club administrators is of a far higher standard than this website.

The Juniors. Sadly we didn't have enough to field an U17 team this year which concerns us greatly. Even before that happened we saw the writing on the wall and have several initiatives already in place to hopefully remedy this situation and give us a strong base in years to come.

Do you experts know that we are running not one, but two Milo In2Cricket clinics this year in an effort to boost junior numbers at the youngest age levels?

That we have created a new squad for talented and dedicated juniors whereby we sponsor the kids, (ie pay all their fees, uniforms etc), for the year and offer them extra coaching and a few other bits and pieces?

That we have a five year plan aimed directly at boosting junior numbers through activity in local schools?

That we have a seriously dedicated Junior Co-ordinator also committed to boosting our Junior base with plenty of initiatives too numerous to mention here.

This is all designed to strengthen our junior base and provide security for the future. Deep down we all want the same thing, but some of you are truly clueless and extraordinarily aggressive with what you believe happens here at the Village. Rome wasn't built in a day but I can tell you that we recognise the problem and are taking active steps to remedy it.

The "rolling in cash" myth. Are you guys serious? Do your ************** homework and don't take the easy way out and perpetuate the myth. Every cent we have we earn the hard way through the normal means of player fees, sponsorship, canteen proceeds and actually bothering to apply for the generous Grants on offer from various agencies that are there for all to apply for. Plus we put in a truckload of work to get ready and sell satays for three days at the Royal Darwin Show which helps a lot. (Every minute of it voluntary). When I joined the committee TVCC was 3k in the red, but we've been travelling pretty well the last ten years thanks to good management. Not good ************** luck. Do your sums. Calculate roughly the amount of players at any given club by the fees thay charge, then throw in a few sponsors and a few grants, a canteen and a few fundraisers. It's has actually got me stuffed how any club can be in trouble financially, but there you go.

And we, (the CRICKET club, not the Social Club), pay for everything ourselves, including 15k worth of new nets last year.

Our Turf facilities - Paid for by the cricket club, 100%, (sure it's on TVSSC land, but we built it and paid for it). 100% maintained by volunteers. Seriously hard work, but we think it's worth it for the good of our club and the greater good of NT cricket. (Junior & senior NT rep sides, visiting overseas and interstate have all trained there). I personally have mowed, poisoned and cared for that block every week throughout the wet season for over four years, and curated it during the dry. Add the centre wicket to that, and it's pretty much an every day job. Then throw in the hundreds of hours I spend at home running the club or in the canteen and you can perhaps start to understand why the comments against this club and myself have hit a nerve.

Andrew Ramsay and NT Cricket - I assume all of you ghosts out there are passionate cricket people judging by the posts. If that's the case you probably want the best for cricket in Darwin, same as we all do. So how on earth do you think comments that rubbish and abuse are going to achieve that. Post some intelligent suggestions for debate, and stop bashing the nearest and easiest targets.

Fact is, if more people started doing as much as my committee and I do at Tracy Village, then the whole of NT Cricket would be better for it. If more people stopped being so jealous and stopped believeing the shit that has been bandied around for years, and actually put their active brains into positive suggestions and helped out around clubs, every club would benefit. By the negative and gutter nature of most of the comments on here, I would guess that there aren't many committee members making comments out there. If there are, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

My number is in the book - we have nothing to hide and I will happily answer any query honestly. Why don't some of you weeds call it sometime if you want to find out the truth about a club instead of just posting such petty, personal, jealous, and incredibly misinformed posts. Or is it easier to avoid the truth and just keep pretending and posting cheap shots to get an even cheaper laugh?

As for you "legend in your own mind" and the spineless, gutless shadows who post the personal shit - you obviously know where I am and where I am every weekend. No money has gone missing from my club, (you are welcome to view our annual audited reports), and never had I even heard an allegation that any LM was in the frame until I read this forum. I can't even begin to guess which LM the armchair detectives were referring to and find that personally offensive to myself, the LM's and the club in general. Utter and complete nonsense, clearly designed to destablise. Grow some balls, name names and I'll see you in court. Or better still, come and say that shit to my face. I couldn't care if you are seven foot tall - the first swing I take will be worth it.

I won't be posting again.

Solid weekend of cricket coming up, with most teams wanting to at least win two of their three games otherwise it'll really set them back in T20's and OD Cup race.

Round 5
Sat 5 May(11:00 AM) Tracy Village v Darwin Tracy Village Oval View
Sat 5 May(11:00 AM) Palmerston v Waratah Woodroffe Oval View
Sat 5 May(11:00 AM) Southern Districts v PINT Fred's Pass View
Sat 5 May(11:00 AM) Nightcliff v BYE View
Round 6
Sun 6 May(10:00 AM) Darwin v Southern Districts Kahlin Oval View
Sun 6 May(10:00 AM) Tracy Village v Waratah Tracy Village Oval View
Sun 6 May(10:00 AM) Nightcliff v PINT Nightcliff Oval View
Sun 6 May(10:00 AM) Palmerston v BYE View
Round 7
Sun 6 May(2:30 PM) Darwin v Palmerston Kahlin Oval View
Sun 6 May(2:30 PM) Tracy Village v PINT Tracy Village Oval View
Sun 6 May(2:30 PM) Nightcliff v Southern Districts Nightcliff Oval View
Sun 6 May(2:30 PM) Waratah v BYE View

PINT should account for Southern Districts in the OD on Saturday but in T20's you can expect them to drop one game and expect it to be their second match against Tracy Village. PINT and Southern Districts have the disadvantage of having to travel to another ground for their second match. Southern Districts is the likely team to walk away with none from three for the weekend, for other teams they hope they can pull off an upset in either format.

Palmerston should beat Waratah at home but may struggle in their only T20 against Darwin at home. The weather means that most wickets will have been underdone this weekend, so a toss of the coin could be pivotal on Saturday.

Waratah have a tough draw as well and they could potentially have no wins from the weekend which going into the first Two Day match next weekend put them under some serious pressure without all their recruits here yet.

Nightcliff have the Saturday off but shouldn't pose a threat unless some serious fireworks happen for them at home.

Tracy Village may have a few new blokes but tipping the heat will get to them and they'll be in struggle town come their third match for weekend.

Darwin need to show they're contenders in all formats with a solid weekend. Anything less than two from three will have the doubters out in force.

Round 5
Sat 5 May(11:00 AM) Tracy Village defeated by Darwin Tracy Village Oval View
Sat 5 May(11:00 AM) Palmerston defeated by Waratah Woodroffe Oval View
Sat 5 May(11:00 AM) Southern Districts defeated by PINT Fred's Pass View
Sat 5 May(11:00 AM) Nightcliff v BYE View
Round 6
Sun 6 May(10:00 AM)Darwin defeated Southern DistrictsKahlin Oval View
Sun 6 May(10:00 AM) Tracy Village defeated Waratah Tracy Village Oval View
Sun 6 May(10:00 AM) Nightcliff defeated by PINTNightcliff Oval View
Sun 6 May(10:00 AM) Palmerston v BYE View
Round 7
Sun 6 May(2:30 PM) Darwin defeated by Palmerston Kahlin Oval View
Sun 6 May(2:30 PM) Tracy Village defeated by PINT Tracy Village Oval View
Sun 6 May(2:30 PM) Nightcliff defeated by Southern Districts Nightcliff Oval View
Sun 6 May(2:30 PM) Waratah v BYE View

A couple of upsets over the weekend, in which was a pretty good display of cricket. TV choked against Darwin after keeping them to a fairly get able target on Saturday, Palmerston went down to Tahs on a softish wicket while PINT did the business against Districts.

The T20's were a run feast at Kahlin Oval, Darwin towelling up the Crocs but then copping a bit of stick from Palmerston. Nightcliff lost their first in a close one against PINT and then looked to be the same against Districts, while TV took care of Tahs but had big loss against PINT.

Ladders would look at little something like this at the moment;

T20
1. PINT
2. Darwin
3. Palmerston
4. Tracy Village
5. Southern Districts
6. Waratah
7. Nightcliff

OD
1. Darwin
2. PINT
3. Palmerston
4. Nightcliff
5. Tracy Village
6. Waratah
7. Southern Districts

Overall
1. PINT
2. Darwin
3. Palmerston
4. Tracy Village
5. Nightcliff
6. Waratah
7. Southern Districts

Gees, first Darth destroys Alderaan, now he takes out all the Darwin & District Cricket keyboard warriors with a single post! Nice timing also Darth, posting on Friday, May the 4th.

To be fair, Jonno Crowe, Gav Lycett and Paul Carbone are probably the only half decent juniors Tracey Village have had in quite some time. The rest are either not up to A Grade standard or are just simply rubbish, skating through life based on their last name and mis-judged talent.

the reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated, can't a person escape town for a week or two?

the funny thing is tracy village went from being the death star to laughing stock since the caravans have been involved. cleaned out all the locals and now is stilling saying aye, aye, aye. no wonder everyone left, what happened to that great bloke kernahan, he was a president, stayed silent and made the right decisions, didn't try to big note himself and didn't have a snake with a fork tongue stabbing people in the back. if you don't want people to criticise yourself or your wife or whoever, don't get involved in a committee. put up a big man front all you want, the tv show is over, your on the decline you've got skeletons in your closet and you bark is worse than ya biiiiite.

"a snake with a fork tongue stabbing people in the back"; now THAT'S what I call a classic mixed metaphor!
And is it really true that if you get involved in a committee it's open for anybody to criticise your wife "or whoever" - your children? your dog? your garden gnome?

I've had my ear to the ground lately and the word is that Jack Flynn has devised an ingenious way of manicuring the wickets at Marrara - he is using a vacuum cleaner. Perhaps it is like one of those Ghostbuster vacuums and he is trying to pick up the dirty shots from those Darwin boys to store them away!!!

Love him or loathe him, its nice to see someone putting a little bit of care into the place, unlike other paid employees there.

Pretty harsh. The other curator there does a pretty good job when between the practice wickets at TIO, No.1 and No.2 he has a total of 17 decks to look after, plus maintaining two to international quality, he does a pretty decent job.

Pretty harsh. The other curator there does a pretty good job when between the practice wickets at TIO, No.1 and No.2 he has a total of 17 decks to look after, plus maintaining two to international quality, he does a pretty decent job.

He only has to water them and mow them stupid, preparing 2 wickets a week is not hard when you have all week to do it, and get paid.

Back