DVCA Barclay Shield 09/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: DVCA Barclay Shield 09/10

Bundoora;377838 said:
Richmond V Hawthorn Fosters cup night match. Still have the grab on a "Beta" tape somewhere. Thought you were going to be our next Michael Roach, How wrong i was:p

I would agree that you were very wrong. Pick the odd man out. 1 could play and 1 couldn't.

cold case;377840 said:
I would agree that you were very wrong. Pick the odd man out. 1 could play and 1 couldn't.

You could play, just a pity Allan jeans thought you were Brian Leys!!

Bundoora;377844 said:
You could play, just a pity Allan jeans thought you were Brian Leys!!

Yes that certainly didn't help. Questioning his ability or inability to cope with a bunch of hacks, rather than driving a rolls royce in which he had at Hawthorn didn't do my chances any help either. He once asked me what player was taking my spot in the seniors. I then said "Brian Leys for sure. Cant play, should be playing some other sport". 10 minutes later he come up to me and said, " Leysey,that bloke over there reckons you are a dud!"
Of course I said, " oh Keaysy is a far better player! You should play him!"
He did pick me, and when I walked into the team meeting he said, " what the **** are you doing here?"
The moral of the story is if you are going to recruit a coach, probably should be before he gets dementure!

We were both terrible players.

Tongs;377772 said:
Mernda's pitch is the same, it is disgraceful! Boardering on unsafe! You should not be getting balls comming at your throat that should be knee height, then the next ball that should come at your throat, hit you in the ankle! Its simply not good enough!

I have heard that the Epping pitch is terrible, and looking at the scores it appears that may be right!

Merndas track inst that bad Tongs. When we played there earlier in the year it played fairly true. A couple jumped off a length but no one got out because of it! I think its all in your head. Did you get out because of the pitch last week did ya? Sour grapes?

beefy;377885 said:
Merndas track inst that bad Tongs. When we played there earlier in the year it played fairly true. A couple jumped off a length but no one got out because of it! I think its all in your head. Did you get out because of the pitch last week did ya? Sour grapes?

I had a half tracker that i played back to, and it proceeded to hit me in the ankle. So yeah the pitch did get me out, and the Mernda boys all agreed.

As for sour grapes, no. Thats cricket and I copped it on the chin (or ankle). But I was meaning more so the ones that kick off a length for no reason. Its all well and good to say its only a couple here and there, until someone has their face caved in!

Tongs;378014 said:
I had a half tracker that i played back to, and it proceeded to hit me in the ankle. So yeah the pitch did get me out, and the Mernda boys all agreed.

As for sour grapes, no. Thats cricket and I copped it on the chin (or ankle). But I was meaning more so the ones that kick off a length for no reason. Its all well and good to say its only a couple here and there, until someone has their face caved in!

Wear a helmet like 90% of cricketers do and you won't need to worry about having your face caved in.

I've played 4 games there this year and I train on it twice a week - In that time, I've seen maybe 2 blokes lose a wicket because of the pitch. So, even though it might not be the best track in the comp, it certainly is not an absolute minefield that's unsafe to play on, which seems to be what you're describing it as. There are two or three spots that either keep low or spit up, if a bowler visiting can work out where they are he'll do well. For us though - I guess you could call it a homeground advantage.

Beefy is spot on too, if a batsman sees any hint of a pitch playing up he immediately starts looking for excuses as to how he is going to get out or how he went out. You're probably better than that though, Tongs. :D

captain cuzz;378130 said:
Wear a helmet like 90% of cricketers do and you won't need to worry about having your face caved in.

I've played 4 games there this year and I train on it twice a week - In that time, I've seen maybe 2 blokes lose a wicket because of the pitch. So, even though it might not be the best track in the comp, it certainly is not an absolute minefield that's unsafe to play on, which seems to be what you're describing it as. There are two or three spots that either keep low or spit up, if a bowler visiting can work out where they are he'll do well. For us though - I guess you could call it a homeground advantage.

Beefy is spot on too, if a batsman sees any hint of a pitch playing up he immediately starts looking for excuses as to how he is going to get out or how he went out. You're probably better than that though, Tongs. :D

It isn't me hating Mernda or having sour grapes or anything of the like. As i said i was out plumb. I'm happy to cop that on the chin! What I am not happy to cop is sub standard pitches! Its the same as the umpires debate. Its not good for the game, and should not be tolerated!

The fact you admit that there are a couple of spots that jump is my point proven. Thats NOT acceptable to even have one spot let alone a couple.

And i do wear a helmet!

Tongs;377794 said:
Eppings pitch has been deadly for about 5 years. To have excuses for their pitch like the water/mud etc is not acceptable! If you have seen their pitch over the last few years, it has always been the same!

THats a good idea about the vacuuming (i would just get a blower) but it would be useless after 2 weeks. Back to normal. I know some clubs get the blower out onto them, the only issue is they do it some weeks, and not others!

you all should stop crying about eppings pitch and maybe work it out that the grass is always long and they have the best bowling attack in the comp plus the ground is big and not a small shit hole like everybody else

duck man;378169 said:
you all should stop crying about eppings pitch and maybe work it out that the grass is always long and they have the best bowling attack in the comp plus the ground is big and not a small shit hole like everybody else

Its only big to you because you are 4 foot 8 with no legs and mix chocolate for a living.

its alright for you tampon in for one out for 4 and dont play when playing on big grounds because your big arse would not cope and did your little bro play in eppings twos on the weekend

duck man;378180 said:
its alright for you tampon in for one out for 4 and dont play when playing on big grounds because your big arse would not cope and did your little bro play in eppings twos on the weekend

We could be the new generation TWINS. I can be Arny and you can be Danny De Vito.:D

duck man;378169 said:

No problems Duckman

images

Tongs;378158 said:
It isn't me hating Mernda or having sour grapes or anything of the like. As i said i was out plumb. I'm happy to cop that on the chin! What I am not happy to cop is sub standard pitches! Its the same as the umpires debate. Its not good for the game, and should not be tolerated!

The fact you admit that there are a couple of spots that jump is my point proven. Thats NOT acceptable to even have one spot let alone a couple.

And i do wear a helmet!

I by no means set the world alight when I bat, but I can say that batting on our pitch has made me a better batsman. It's taught to make sure I watch the ball as closely as possible for as long as possible and I have to say, I haven't been out on it as a result of a ball pitching low or jumping up of a yorker length.

I think calling it sud-standard is a bit harsh, so it's got a couple of bouncy spots in it, big deal! It hasn't stopped blokes that can bat making big scores and I think it adds a bit to the contest. Both sides have to bat on it, remember.

At the end of the day, every pitch has it's own characteristics. Playing at Mernda and having to bat carefully is no different from batting at Macleod with an old deck, where you can safely swing from your arse knowing it will bounce the same, ball in, ball out. Both grounds have their own appeal, one is just an absolute batsman's paradise! I can quite easily say that Macleod's pitch is sub standard becasue it offers nothing for a bowler. But you bowl on what you're presented with and you move on. You have to adjust and if you're worth your weight, you'll cope with it, either as a batsman or a bowler.

You're spot on with one thing though - The pitch debate is exactly the same as the umpire debate. Both are getting monotonous, going over the same ground year after year - At the end of the day, we're playing park cricket where we get no assistance from the comp to fix the things that are wrong, let's just deal with it and move on.

The new pitches are sh!thouse. I hate them more than anybody. But at the same time I accept the fact that the are apart of the DVCA, so bad luck.

As previously mentioned, "park cricket" is exactly that. You can always play elsewhere if you want.

No good for cricket but easier and cheaper in the end for the council, we all know who is going to win that debate don't we?

On discussions with many players we have come up with that a batsman making 100 is equal to a bowler taking 5 wickets in comparison. This is open for interpretation of course. But a fair call.

Interesting to go through all games played at Mernda over this year and last year across both grades. Here are a few stats for you:

Number of 100's made: 0

Number of 4 wicket hauls: 15
Number of 5 wicket hauls: 12
Number of 6 wicket hauls: 3
Number of 7 wicket hauls: 1

How is this pitch fair for both batter and bowler? The pitch is a mine field that is equal to the standard of life in Afghanistan!

Tongs;378307 said:
On discussions with many players we have come up with that a batsman making 100 is equal to a bowler taking 5 wickets in comparison. This is open for interpretation of course. But a fair call.

Interesting to go through all games played at Mernda over this year and last year across both grades. Here are a few stats for you:

Number of 100's made: 0

Number of 4 wicket hauls: 15
Number of 5 wicket hauls: 12
Number of 6 wicket hauls: 3
Number of 7 wicket hauls: 1

How is this pitch fair for both batter and bowler? The pitch is a mine field that is equal to the standard of life in Afghanistan!

I reckon 5-1/2 wickets is equal to a ton, therefore it becomes a 6 wicket haul!

cold case;378308 said:
I reckon 5-1/2 wickets is equal to a ton, therefore it becomes a 6 wicket haul!

It wasn't a post to determine what you think is equal! I made the judgement call based on discussions that 5 wickets is equal! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back