DVCA Barclay Shield 09/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: DVCA Barclay Shield 09/10

Tongs;378312 said:
It wasn't a post to determine what you think is equal! I made the judgement call based on discussions that 5 wickets is equal! :)

I reckon 5 wickets is equivalent to say, 65-85 runs. How many innings of 65-85 have been made over the last 12 months at Mernda?

spinnersclub;378314 said:
Scores @ Eppings ground this year

A grade

109/102
150/86
Current 98/ 4 for 31

B grade

141/155
76/124
112/89

I agree with the comments about Eppings pitch. I only did Merndas stats purely and simple because thats all i could be bothered doing!

Another win to the boys. Well done.

Senior Rep Game HDCA v DVCA Match Review 2009

DVCA take the win in a thrilling game

At the beautiful Warringal Park, HDCA Captain Brent O'Connor batted first under dark skies after winning the toss and led from the front opening the batting with some confident strokes. DVCA captured early wickets to keep the pressure on but O'Connor and David Plumpton (15) shared a partnership before Plumpton fell at 3/43. HDCA lost another quick wicket before Brad Grindal joined O‘Connor and the runs began to flow again. Unfortunately the heavens which had been threatening to open all morning let loose with a strong downpour and players were forced from the field with 25 overs down. With the rain looking persistent, an early lunch was taken with the entitlement of overs reduced for each team from 45 to 41. Play resumed in steady rain making conditions difficult for both teams but DVCA gained control to remove Grindal for 18 before collecting two more wickets. O’Connor continued to bat brilliantly amidst the damage at the other end before finally out for a magnificent knock of 65 with the score 8/129. Paul McMurray chimed in for 14 before a flurry a flurry of wickets in the final over with HDCA all out for 149.

With DVCA’s target 150 off 41 overs at a little under 4 runs an over, HDCA began well capturing two early wickets including the crucial scalp of DVCA Captain and previous HDCA destroyer Scott Gibbs. Both wickets fell to HDCA Captain Brent O’Connor who was now following up with ball from his great batting display earlier. Justin Whitcher and Greg Duggin then turned the game back DVCA’s way with a terrific 65 run partnership before Duggin with 25 was dismissed during a fine spell of bowling from off spinner Shayne Watts with the score 3/77. With the run rate required hovering around 5 runs an over Whitcher combined for another important partnership of 49 with veteran David Love (21) before Love was run out on 4/126. Whitcher departed for a great innings of 68 with the game tightening up in the final few overs at a run a ball necessary. With 5 runs needed off the last over DVCA struck a four off the second ball after a single of the first ball to win a great game. With fluctuating conditions through rain delays and reduced overs, both teams are to be congratulated on producing a thrilling game played in great spirit for the large crowd present. Well done to Heidelberg CC and all their helpers for a wonderful hosting job and going through a ton of saw dust to keep the pitch and run ups playable amidst difficult conditions. Brent O’Connor and Justin Whitcher were presented with the respective associations players of the match.

cold case;378319 said:
I wasnt trying to prove you wrong. I think you figures stack up. It could also be the case of 2 very good bowlers that play there.

I was about to write exactly the same thing.

How many blokes have made 100+ scores batting against Bakes and/or Chesto at any ground?

Add to that the fact that you're talking about a side that hasn't been able to bat for the best part of 10 years, occasionaly pulling out a big score, but we've never had the 1 or 2 batting stars we'd have liked.

And if we go on what sounds like a fairer comparison - that 6 wickets equals 100 runs, only 4 blokes have "bowled 100" so to speak in your time frame. That's hardly a damning figure.

Just FYI - Cal Dean made a chance-less 90 on the weekend on that mine field and was well on his way to 100, all but for poor shot selection at the end.

cold case;378319 said:
I wasnt trying to prove you wrong. I think you figures stack up. It could also be the case of 2 very good bowlers that play there.

I knew that point would come up, but i will say that Baker does feature a few times, but there are alot of players in Barclay Reserve and opposition teams that also feature.

captain cuzz;378340 said:
I was about to write exactly the same thing.

How many blokes have made 100+ scores batting against Bakes and/or Chesto at any ground?

Add to that the fact that you're talking about a side that hasn't been able to bat for the best part of 10 years, occasionaly pulling out a big score, but we've never had the 1 or 2 batting stars we'd have liked.

And if we go on what sounds like a fairer comparison - that 6 wickets equals 100 runs, only 4 blokes have "bowled 100" so to speak in your time frame. That's hardly a damning figure.

Just FYI - Cal Dean made a chance-less 90 on the weekend on that mine field and was well on his way to 100, all but for poor shot selection at the end.

Firstly I said 5! CC said 6, so that does prove damning with what I said.

Secondly, maybe your side can't bat due to the pitch? Ie my point again!

Well batted by Cal Dean, but still no ton!

Shit pitch, and i have had my say on it! New topic!

Tongs;378345 said:
Firstly I said 5! CC said 6, so that does prove damning with what I said.

Secondly, maybe your side can't bat due to the pitch? Ie my point again!

Well batted by Cal Dean, but still no ton!

Shit pitch, and i have had my say on it! New topic!

Well done on skipping over the big part of my argument - Bakes and Chesto.

I understand your point - But I just can't see how the only reason it's a shit pitch is because it's not 100% ideal for a batsman. It adds to the contest and instead of whinging about it blaming for you losing your wicket (not YOU, but players in general) just get on with it and use whatever batting prowess you have to overcome it!

It's not like it's got holes in it half way down, or skid marks from motor bikes that come through, or thats it's only 30cm wide, or burn marks in it from bored kids on a Saturday night....

The way you blokes go on about these pitches, it's as if only one side has to bat on it every week...! Or that you're GENUINELY getting robbed of 100 every time you walk out to bat on them!

captain cuzz;378347 said:
The way you blokes go on about these pitches, it's as if only one side has to bat on it every week...! Or that you're GENUINELY getting robbed of 100 every time you walk out to bat on them!

I get robbed every week from making a ton. The opposition keep putting fieldsman where I hit them!

captain cuzz;378347 said:
Well done on skipping over the big part of my argument - Bakes and Chesto.

I understand your point - But I just can't see how the only reason it's a shit pitch is because it's not 100% ideal for a batsman. It adds to the contest and instead of whinging about it blaming for you losing your wicket (not YOU, but players in general) just get on with it and use whatever batting prowess you have to overcome it!

It's not like it's got holes in it half way down, or skid marks from motor bikes that come through, or thats it's only 30cm wide, or burn marks in it from bored kids on a Saturday night....

If the batsman at Mernda were fair dinkum they would rate this badly they should have scored a few hundreds on that pitch if they get to practice on it every week and face the likes of Bakes and Chesto every single week, once they get out there they should find a bit easier then every else.

Vilos;378395 said:
If the batsman at Mernda were fair dinkum they would rate this badly they should have scored a few hundreds on that pitch if they get to practice on it every week and face the likes of Bakes and Chesto every single week, once they get out there they should find a bit easier then every else.

As I said, Mernda haven't been able to bat for the best part of 10 years. The new pitch is only 5 years old.

Bakes comes off 5 steps at training, little bit different to faceing up to him off his full run and Chesto doesn't bowl at all.

And to clarify Tongs' point of no hundreds being scored on it - Bailz made 100 on it against Eltham last year - Scorecard not shown on MyCricket (total 9/400) Snowy was next best with 97 against Research (I know it's not 100, but it proves that if you apply yourself enough, big scores can come).

captain cuzz;378417 said:
As I said, Mernda haven't been able to bat for the best part of 10 years. The new pitch is only 5 years old.

Bakes comes off 5 steps at training, little bit different to faceing up to him off his full run and Chesto doesn't bowl at all.

And to clarify Tongs' point of no hundreds being scored on it - Bailz made 100 on it against Eltham last year - Scorecard not shown on MyCricket (total 9/400) Snowy was next best with 97 against Research (I know it's not 100, but it proves that if you apply yourself enough, big scores can come).

Seriously mate, get over it. Your pitch is shit! Its not a go at you, your club, or anyone that has played on it. The pitch is crap, you know it, we know it.

Been reading this issue with interest. Obviously the pitch hasn't changed from when I last watched a game there 2 years ago. Would have to agree with Tongs - the pitch during that game was all over the place with large indentations in the surface. Surely thare has to be an ASA for the laying of synthetic cricket pitches. The surface on this one is OK but hell knows what's underneath it. OH&S has got to be an issue. If I was an umpire and it plays like it did 2 years ago I'd be protecting my arse and saying we're out of here. Wouldn't want to be involved in any court case for not taking a duty of care. Really I can't believe that if it is still playing that way that umpires have not made reports to the heirarchy.

Nawab of Pautadi;378527 said:
Been reading this issue with interest. Obviously the pitch hasn't changed from when I last watched a game there 2 years ago. Would have to agree with Tongs - the pitch during that game was all over the place with large indentations in the surface. Surely thare has to be an ASA for the laying of synthetic cricket pitches. The surface on this one is OK but hell knows what's underneath it. OH&S has got to be an issue. If I was an umpire and it plays like it did 2 years ago I'd be protecting my arse and saying we're out of here. Wouldn't want to be involved in any court case for not taking a duty of care. Really I can't believe that if it is still playing that way that umpires have not made reports to the heirarchy.

The pitch has settled down CONSIDERABLY over the last couple of years, nothing like it was when it first got water under it and it started playing up.

But yes, it still has 2 or 3 spots that either keep low when they shouldn't or spit up when you wouldn't expect it to.

It's by no means a mine field and it's not worthy of a report - all it needs is for a batsman to go out there and play cautiously.

No offence, but Chesto, himself, has told me it's one of the most scariest pitches to play on. He reckons if he was playing there in the late 80's ( and believe me, he was incredibly scary back in those days ) he would have killed somebody eventually.

Diamond Creek 0/1 v Bundoora 237 @ Coventry Oval
- Bundoora Probably enough i would have thought

Mernda 238 v North Eltham Wanderers @ Mernda Recreation Reserve
- Far too many for NEW. Easy win Mernda. Baker to do some damgage

Lower Eltham 2/8 v Research 217 @ Eltham Lower Park #2 (Back Oval) - Whitcher out means Gunn and Poyser will need to bat well to win.
In the balance, i'll go with runs on the board

Riverside 1/14 v Macleod 120 @ Whatmough Park #1
-Macleod not enough, Riverside should do it easily.

Eltham 133 v Plenty 1/30 @ Eltham Central Park
- Plenty easily

Epping 4/31 v Lalor Stars 98 @ Epping Recreation Reserve #1
- Funny things have happend. Epping should win but who knows? I'll go Epping..........Just

serg fernandez;378624 said:
No offence, but Chesto, himself, has told me it's one of the most scariest pitches to play on. He reckons if he was playing there in the late 80's ( and believe me, he was incredibly scary back in those days ) he would have killed somebody eventually.

Is that 1880's or 1980's?

bradfromeltham;378645 said:
- Bundoora Probably enough i would have thought

- Far too many for NEW. Easy win Mernda. Baker to do some damgage

Lower Eltham 2/8 v Research 217 @ Eltham Lower Park #2 (Back Oval) - Whitcher out means Gunn and Poyser will need to bat well to win.
In the balance, i'll go with runs on the board

-Macleod not enough, Riverside should do it easily.

- Plenty easily

- Funny things have happend. Epping should win but who knows? I'll go Epping..........Just

Good summation, my thoughts below:

50 too many for Creek on their new home deck, unless Yarra/McLean/Rogneda can get at least 150 between them, Bundoora to surge to the top of the table.

NEW kids on the block to learn a tough lesson on a dodgy deck. Mernda to only use 3 bowlers in a demolition that may kick start their season and get them back on track.

Lower Eltham 2/8 v Research 217 @ Eltham Lower Park #2 (Back Oval)
I fancy Research in this one but Lower do have batting to come even with Whitcher gone. Poyser, Gunn, Curtis and Still can all bat as can young opener Short who is still in.

Macleod will be beaten easily as they start to find their oppostion more difficult every week. Riverside need this one desperately and will do it with ease.

Plenty to get them and stay in the top 4. Haven't put in a good all round batting performance yet this year, this might be the one to get them going. Another 5 for Rosbrook last week.

Would love to be up at Epping to watch the first hour of this one. I'm going to tip a Keaysless Stars to take the last 6 inside the target for an amazing win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back