DVCA: Barclay Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: DVCA: Barclay Shield

Thumbs up;292189 said:
These are the sorts of problems clubs of the dvca need to get over. Think about this, as a collective are there not opportunities to reduce costs by acting as a bargaining and buying group in unison. I realise this is something that today seems a long way off but surely we can put personal agendas aside and work to make a strong and dynamic competition rather than one full of niggling and miscontent.

No club prospers by the losses of another, outside games.

As a lower player (loose use of the term) I can only wish Pigga well. Can't wait to go watch the Riverside Vs LECC clash, might not be the top two going at it but I'll bet it will be a belter.

I like your train of thought, TU. That's exactly the kind of thinking outside the square that can refresh and re-invigorate the comp. But it needn't stop there - there are many aspects of the competition, both on and off field that could be improved and re-worked to improve the DVCA as a whole.

There are lots of young, bright types on this forum as well as at all the clubs around the Valley. What's exciting is that it's these people and their ideas which will take the DVCA forward.

As for all this talk about Pigger - talk about flogging a dead horse, Iceman, get over it - as I've said before, his only crime was taking his role almost too seriously..He is a good bloke IMO...he would be well suited in a coaching role a higher level maybe at some stage in the future. I wish him all the best at Riverside.

coverdrive18;292408 said:
matt ross to busy working at the cricket centre not unuff concerntration on his on cricket

Matt Ross is a super bloke at search, and is doing a good job so far this year

Otis;292338 said:
I like your train of thought, TU. That's exactly the kind of thinking outside the square that can refresh and re-invigorate the comp. But it needn't stop there - there are many aspects of the competition, both on and off field that could be improved and re-worked to improve the DVCA as a whole.

There are lots of young, bright types on this forum as well as at all the clubs around the Valley. What's exciting is that it's these people and their ideas which will take the DVCA forward.
As for all this talk about Pigger - talk about flogging a dead horse, Iceman, get over it - as I've said before, his only crime was taking his role almost too seriously..He is a good bloke IMO...he would be well suited in a coaching role a higher level maybe at some stage in the future. I wish him all the best at Riverside.

Interesting,

i was at the delegates meeting on wed nite where they mentioned that there will be an increse in fees next season.

i was thinking that all the clubs in conjunction with the d.v.c.a. hold a "sportsmans" type day/night with all profits going back to the clubs.

With 26 or so clubs i'd be very suprised if you couldn't get 400+ to a function if you knew the funds raised would directly help your club.

obviosly the more tickets your club sells, the better slice of the profits you'd receive.

logistically it would not be easy but i'm sure within the thousands of people involved in the comp there must be some with the nous capable of pulling off such an event.

meal, beer, wine & soft drink, i'm sure you could get for $50 a head with numbers so big. charge $70 - get 400 make $8,000

throw in guest speakers, comedian - cost $2,500

auction items - obviously everything above reserve is pofit - hopefully make $3000 - can't lose cos if they don;t make reserve, they don't sell

raflle - 400 people all spend a minimum $5 - chance to make $2,000 - if get prizes donated.

looks simple on paper, and there would need to be a hell of a lot of hard work but if your club couldn't get 15-20 blokes to attend such an event i'd be suprised.

and yes, i have got too much time on my hands:D

Bundoora;292362 said:
Interesting,

i was at the delegates meeting on wed nite where they mentioned that there will be an increse in fees next season.

i was thinking that all the clubs in conjunction with the d.v.c.a. hold a "sportsmans" type day/night with all profits going back to the clubs.

With 26 or so clubs i'd be very suprised if you couldn't get 400+ to a function if you knew the funds raised would directly help your club.

obviosly the more tickets your club sells, the better slice of the profits you'd receive.

logistically it would not be easy but i'm sure within the thousands of people involved in the comp there must be some with the nous capable of pulling off such an event.

meal, beer, wine & soft drink, i'm sure you could get for $50 a head with numbers so big. charge $70 - get 400 make $8,000

auction items - obviously everything above reserve is pofit - hopefully make $3000 - can't lose cos if they don;t make reserve, they don't sell

raflle - 400 people all spend a minimum $5 - chance to make $2,000 - if get prizes donated.

looks simple on paper, and there would need to be a hell of a lot of hard work but if your club couldn't get 15-20 blokes to attend such an event i'd be suprised.

Great plan. The simple answer is that no one person organises this. We(clubs) all have plenty of under utilised skilled and capable people to get this off the ground. One head organiser is required to get the clubs to all participate and delegate duties, but outside that there can be many small specific tasks performed by many DIFFERENT people.

Bundoora;292362 said:
Interesting,

Great idea there Bundoora. Your rooms would be the best place to host. The best beer in the valley by a mile. You don't need to look far for a comedian though. Get Redeye there after a Saturday arvo sucking down some cans and watch him talk to himself in the corner spilling half his pot.

Bundoora;292362 said:
Interesting,

And we have our volunteer! Thanks Brad, will be looking forward to your email to all clubs telling us when you have organised the night!

Seriously though, sounds like a good idea but would appear to be very hard to organise!

No Good at cricket;292325 said:
Good to Arnberger get some runs, I'm sure he will eventually find his way and win heaps of awards

Batted well, got a few, but geez didn't he sook up when he went out. Apparently called the fielder a cheat. Not great sportsmanship if it happened.

coverdrive18;292408 said:
matt ross to busy working at the cricket centre not unuff concerntration on his on cricket

Matt Ross is a super bloke at search, and is doing a good job so far this year

Bundoora;292362 said:
Interesting,

Great plan. The simple answer is that no one person organises this. We(clubs) all have plenty of under utilised skilled and capable people to get this off the ground. One head organiser is required to get the clubs to all participate and delegate duties, but outside that there can be many small specific tasks performed by many DIFFERENT people.

i was just thinking and i couldnt quite understand why juniors playing seniors could only bowl a certain amount of overs. batsmen dont have to retire on 100 in seniors like they do in juniors how come the bowlers are dis- advantaged. i just cant get my head around how kids are getting penalised even though they are younger. this makes it very hard for young gun bowlers (especially spinners) to play higher grades.

thoughts??

Bundoora;292362 said:
Interesting,

Great idea there Bundoora. Your rooms would be the best place to host. The best beer in the valley by a mile. You don't need to look far for a comedian though. Get Redeye there after a Saturday arvo sucking down some cans and watch him talk to himself in the corner spilling half his pot.

HOWZAAT;293463 said:
i was just thinking and i couldnt quite understand why juniors playing seniors could only bowl a certain amount of overs. batsmen dont have to retire on 100 in seniors like they do in juniors how come the bowlers are dis- advantaged. i just cant get my head around how kids are getting penalised even though they are younger. this makes it very hard for young gun bowlers (especially spinners) to play higher grades.

thoughts??
The rule came in many years ago now, and it was to prevent young bowlers gaining back injuries early in their careers, as many people know once you have one you have it for life.

No Good at cricket;292325 said:
Good to Arnberger get some runs, I'm sure he will eventually find his way and win heaps of awards

Batted well, got a few, but geez didn't he sook up when he went out. Apparently called the fielder a cheat. Not great sportsmanship if it happened.

The430king;293035 said:

Heard about this, pretty shocking act.

Accusing a player of cheating you better be 100% sure you are right and having spoken to a player(s) and umpire they are 100% positive that he was out.

Umpires gives it ...... WALK, don't make a fool out of yourself.

Tongs;292566 said:
And we have our volunteer! Thanks Brad, will be looking forward to your email to all clubs telling us when you have organised the night!

Seriously though, sounds like a good idea but would appear to be very hard to organise!

not when there are guys who have retired (forced injury?) from cricket who have plenty of spare time judging by the amount of time they are on this forum who i'm sure would be willing to help:D

thoughts??

Bundoora;293770 said:
[/B]

not when there are guys who have retired (forced injury?) from cricket who have plenty of spare time judging by the amount of time they are on this forum who i'm sure would be willing to help:D

HAHA Fair come back! No retirement here, I'm just on the "long term injury list" a bit like Polak!

And there spare time I have is "work" hours!

HOWZAAT;293463 said:

thoughts??
The rule came in many years ago now, and it was to prevent young bowlers gaining back injuries early in their careers, as many people know once you have one you have it for life.

CowCorner;292064 said:
I agree Dave bringing your own refreshments to opposition grounds is a blight on our great comp. I have experianced it first hand when we hosted a comp game years back and one club (will remain nameless) actually SOLD (had a till) beer. Amazing

I believe its time for clubs to assist and stop this from happening, I can name a situation where we went to LP for a sunday to watch day 2 of a BS game. A couple of blokes rocked up with an esky and they where told to remove it and support the hosting club as we would not like it to happen to us. They agreed and nothing more was said. Thats all it takes and I would love to see it spread through out the Comp. As you mention Tongs we all need money.

were those guys sitting near the bar or on the other side off the ground? i dont see a problem with it if they are sitting on the other side.

The430king;293035 said:

Heard about this, pretty shocking act.

Accusing a player of cheating you better be 100% sure you are right and having spoken to a player(s) and umpire they are 100% positive that he was out.

Umpires gives it ...... WALK, don't make a fool out of yourself.

Tongs;293819 said:
HAHA Fair come back! No retirement here, I'm just on the "long term injury list" a bit like Polak!

Changing your tune Tongs. You have said all year that you have retired. One win in a grade and your starting to get itchy feet, or Tongs.

Tongs;292566 said:

the swedish chef;293826 said:
were those guys sitting near the bar or on the other side off the ground? i dont see a problem with it if they are sitting on the other side.

You must be kidding pal. A club works there backside off to put on a good event and members from other clubs s@#t in there face by bringing there own piss and selling it. Give us all a spell pal.

Bundoora;293770 said:
[/B]

Tongs;293819 said:

Is the new rumour that Cousins is now going to Eltham to play cricket.

Davo will be happy...:):p;):D

CowCorner;292064 said:
I agree Dave bringing your own refreshments to opposition grounds is a blight on our great comp. I have experianced it first hand when we hosted a comp game years back and one club (will remain nameless) actually SOLD (had a till) beer. Amazing

I believe its time for clubs to assist and stop this from happening, I can name a situation where we went to LP for a sunday to watch day 2 of a BS game. A couple of blokes rocked up with an esky and they where told to remove it and support the hosting club as we would not like it to happen to us. They agreed and nothing more was said. Thats all it takes and I would love to see it spread through out the Comp. As you mention Tongs we all need money.

THE ICEMAN;293475 said:

im sure a captain knows when a kid has had enough...

apart of the role as being captain.

something has to happen about it surely.

Tongs;293819 said:

Changing your tune Tongs. You have said all year that you have retired. One win in a grade and your starting to get itchy feet, or Tongs.

With the One-Dayer this week, any prediction changes?, any teams that will be suited to the shorter format?, i would not be suprised if some big upsets were to occur

the swedish chef;293826 said:

You must be kidding pal. A club works there backside off to put on a good event and members from other clubs s@#t in there face by bringing there own piss and selling it. Give us all a spell pal.

search08-09;294073 said:
With the One-Dayer this week, any prediction changes?, any teams that will be suited to the shorter format?, i would not be suprised if some big upsets were to occur

Bundoora tend to struggle with the one day format. A couple of changes to the two day side should see Bundoora get home.

Tongs;293819 said:

Is the new rumour that Cousins is now going to Eltham to play cricket.

Davo will be happy...:):p;):D

The430king;293981 said:

if it is an event than i agree people should pay but if it is just a standard game than i am not walking around to get beers [to much exercise] and i agree i would not be selling it. we have had opposition players come to our ground and sat on the other side and brought there own slabs which i have no problem with.

THE ICEMAN;293475 said:

im sure a captain knows when a kid has had enough...

apart of the role as being captain.

something has to happen about it surely.

search08-09;294073 said:

Good call, one-dayers can be a bit of a leveller I reckon and all teams will give themselves a chance. As I am on holidays (yes life is hard and the pub is not open yet) I have had a look as some history and here is my opinions on this weeks games.

Research v Epping - In rounds 1 and 2 Research only managed 151 and 140 (V LE and Riverside). Epping, on both occasions made more runs than that so it should be a lay down for me, Epping. Toppy to hit a monster on the small ground.

Plenty v Lalor Stars - Plenty lost both Rounds 1 and 2 (v LP and Bundoora) whilst LS had a draw and a win over Eltham. This tends you to lean towards Lalor and I agree with that. Should be a good game I would be looking at fireworks from Curtin and Rosbrook at Plenty and Volpe and some Keaysey action for the Stars. Probably a good game not to park your car around the rather smallish ground.

Macleod v Lower Plenty - Lower Plenty were 1-1 afer the first 2 rounds posting 200 runs both games (v Plenty and Diamo). Macleod won a close one over Riverside and lost a really close one aganst Lower Eltham. Shows that it should be a good game but recent form has me heavily leaning to Lower Plenty. Waddingham will need to hit a big one (and is capable) but there is the Zarafa and Arnburger factor that, with a few others, can post another large 40 over innings.

Lower Eltham v Bundoora - Lower Eltham started well winning the first 2, the second game closely. Bundoora had a shocker in round 1 (AO68) but came back to easily defeat Plenty in Round 2. Lower Eltham have a decent batting line up and I would look for Gunny to hit a few and Whitcher as well, Bundooras bowlers will have to be on (as we know they can be) but I can't see Bundoora having the hitters to put on a reasonable score here and a win for Lower Eltham.

Riverside v Mernda - Riverside lost a close one in round 1 to Macleod and easily accounted for Research the next week. Mernda had the draw and won a tight one against Epping in round 2. Should be a close one with the obvious Baker takes wickets or Gibbsy smashes runs (like the comp game, for anyone that saw that....) to be the decider. Going for what, by the ladder says, will be an upset and reckon Riverside will win at home.

Eltham v Diamond Creek - Pretty easy to throw this game away as an easy Diamond Creek win. In round 1 they easily accounted for Bundoora and then hit 250 againts Lower Plenty in Round 2. Eltham chased and failed both games against scores they would have backed themselves to get. Seems like Minney needs to hit a few (have we said this before) and they will need cameos from Willo, Hally and Stuey Biddle (who always used to be good for a smashing quick few in the past) But with the Glynns, Milner and Hanson all really capable to make a quick score this is a Diamo win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back