DVCA: Barclay Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: DVCA: Barclay Shield

CricketBox;328623 said:
Yes, round 12 or 13.

What about next year or any time in the future David?

Maybe put that question to me in 8 months time when cricket starts again? As for next year, there is no reason why I shouldn't be playing. Pending my back being ok.

Might get a clearance to your great club, so that I can watch a brilliant cricketer like yourself. Clearly you would be better than skips? Which one would that be?

Grandstand;326894 said:
As an interested spectator from the Grandstands of the Valley I believe the medal will come down to about 8 real chances. In order to assist CC I put forward the following.

Minney $ 1.45 (600+ @77)
Gibbs $ 1.90 (460+runs & 28 wickets@12)
Witcher $ 3.00 (500+ runs @65)
Baker $ 4.50 (36 wickets@12)
P.Hurst $ 6.00 (25 wickets@18)
Salvatore $ 6.50 (29 wickets@13)
Fletcher $ 10.00 (350+runs @52)
Keays $ 15.00 (27 wickets@18)

You should know Moorey, you give out the votes each week. Cant believe you are copping flack for not giving LBW's too.

You've been exposed Moorey!:D

Tongs;328625 said:
Maybe put that question to me in 8 months time when cricket starts again? As for next year, there is no reason why I shouldn't be playing. Pending my back being ok.

Might get a clearance to your great club, so that I can watch a brilliant cricketer like yourself. Clearly you would be better than skips? Which one would that be?

How did Skips become involved in this?

If you check my posts you'll see that just last week I called him the second best bat in the country behind Ricky Ponting.

Bubble Wrap;328466 said:
Let it go Quinny - the comp game's gone, he was picked, many disagree, we all move on... I thought we were trying to have a discussion about the Ray Christiansen Medal?

On another topic, would be interested to hear the thoughts of current players - based on what you've seen this season, who would you pick as the 2 umpires for the A grade grand final?

My pick would be Nick Shearer and either Chris Whitcher or Robert Poyntz. David Moore would be my 4th one to round out the semi final appointments.

haven't had Moorey or Bluey this season so i can't comment on them but i would think Ken Sage would be a chance, doesn't make many mistakes and makes it known he is in charge out there. Nick Shearer underastands the game very well and has the right tempermant for finals when the game goes up a cog. Had Poyntzy once and wasn't too happy but prepared to put that down to an off day as he has been very good in the past

Moorey & Ken Sage to do Barclay Shield Final
nick & Poyntz money shield
doupe & freddy the next best.

CricketBox;328646 said:
How did Skips become involved in this?

If you check my posts you'll see that just last week I called him the second best bat in the country behind Ricky Ponting.

so who is the 3rd best atm? (deleted)

Im surprised no one has thrown Dickie Normans name up? Is taht because we all know the game would be over one day 1 with 17 LBW decisions given? :)

Tongs;328860 said:
Im surprised no one has thrown Dickie Normans name up? Is taht because we all know the game would be over one day 1 with 17 LBW decisions given? :)
I would have thought that 17 lbw's was a very lean number.

Grandstand;326894 said:
As an interested spectator from the Grandstands of the Valley I believe the medal will come down to about 8 real chances. In order to assist CC I put forward the following.

Minney $ 1.45 (600+ @77)

You should know Moorey, you give out the votes each week. Cant believe you are copping flack for not giving LBW's too.

You've been exposed Moorey!:D

Tongs;328860 said:

He definitely won't umpire the semi at Epping or Mernda. He hasn't travelled that far in 20 years.

Bubble Wrap;328466 said:
Let it go Quinny - the comp game's gone, he was picked, many disagree, we all move on... I thought we were trying to have a discussion about the Ray Christiansen Medal?

On another topic, would be interested to hear the thoughts of current players - based on what you've seen this season, who would you pick as the 2 umpires for the A grade grand final?

My pick would be Nick Shearer and either Chris Whitcher or Robert Poyntz. David Moore would be my 4th one to round out the semi final appointments.

haven't had Moorey or Bluey this season so i can't comment on them but i would think Ken Sage would be a chance, doesn't make many mistakes and makes it known he is in charge out there. Nick Shearer underastands the game very well and has the right tempermant for finals when the game goes up a cog. Had Poyntzy once and wasn't too happy but prepared to put that down to an off day as he has been very good in the past

Moorey & Ken Sage to do Barclay Shield Final
nick & Poyntz money shield
doupe & freddy the next best.

Grandstand;326894 said:

Minney $ 1.45 (600+ @77)

What odds for Digga Curtis. I think he'll lead the Lower Eltham votes. Has made over 300 runs and taken 20+ wickets and has played in a winning side all year. My smokey for sure.

The430king;329098 said:
What odds for Digga Curtis. I think he'll lead the Lower Eltham votes. Has made over 300 runs and taken 20+ wickets and has played in a winning side all year. My smokey for sure.

True Big Fella I am the one doing the odds and am surprised that Digs has not appeared but maybe we are biased (and he does have a way with umpires that probably take a vote off him), I will be adding him though.

Appreciate the efforts by some (please pm me more if you have them)

But as a gambler....and I am one (although not a good one....) My coin will be on Gibbsey, Skipper and Bakes all very worthy.

Gibbsey as he is a complete alrounder that just leads and produces.

Skip, well he will go down as one of the greats that never played in a winning GF, shame to (other than the fact he plays for Eltham (just kidding Dave)

Bakes - kept Mernda well up the top, this week probably has shown how britle they are (and the wash out against Lower Eltham when they where 8/28) they are currently 2nd due to him.

But then again I am a terrible gambler....

Tongs;328860 said:
I would have thought that 17 lbw's was a very lean number.

CowCorner;329127 said:
True Big Fella I am the one doing the odds and am surprised that Digs has not appeared but maybe we are biased (and he does have a way with umpires that probably take a vote off him), I will be adding him though.

But as a gambler....and I am one (although not a good one....) My coin will be on Gibbsey, Skipper and Bakes all very worthy.

Skip, well he will go down as one of the greats that never played in a winning GF, shame to (other than the fact he plays for Eltham (just kidding Dave)

Bakes - kept Mernda well up the top, this week probably has shown how britle they are (and the wash out against Lower Eltham when they where 8/28) they are currently 2nd due to him.

Thank god you told us about your gambling status.

Tongs;328860 said:

He definitely won't umpire the semi at Epping or Mernda. He hasn't travelled that far in 20 years.

Grandstand;326894 said:

Minney $ 1.45 (600+ @77)

what about a stab at highest votes for each club

Bundoora - M.Ravindra
Diamond Creek - Brett Glynn
Eltham - Mark Minney
Epping - Rob Fletcher
Lalor Stars - Terry Keays
Lower Eltham - Justin Witcher
Lower Plenty - Scott Barnett
Macleod - Rob Wise
Mernda - Paul Baker
Plenty - Luke Rosbrook
Research - Leigh Mctaggart
Riverside - Scott Gibbs

The430king;329098 said:

Bundoora;329233 said:

Bundoora - M.Ravindra
Eltham - Mark Minney
Epping - Rob Fletcher
Macleod - Rob Wise
Mernda - Paul Baker
Plenty - Leigh Mctaggart
Research - Luke Rosbrook

Riverside - Scott Gibbs

There is no way Leigh McTaggert will poll ANY vote's for Plenty. But I think he will get as many as Luke Rosbrook will get for Research! :D

I like the theory though! Ill have a think and do mine. Brad Dean for Bundoora surely?

CowCorner;329127 said:

Thank god you told us about your gambling status.

Tongs;329240 said:
There is no way Leigh McTaggert will poll ANY vote's for Plenty. But I think he will get as many as Luke Rosbrook will get for Research! :D

I like the theory though! Ill have a think and do mine. Brad Dean for Bundoora surely?

yeah sorry about that, but then again, Spider polled votes in our Maxwell/Reynolds voting last season, which is voted on by the players, and wasn't available that game!!!

Not too bright down our way........

Bundoora;329233 said:

Bundoora - M.Ravindra
Eltham - Mark Minney
Epping - Rob Fletcher
Macleod - Rob Wise
Mernda - Paul Baker
Plenty - Luke Rosbrook
Riverside - Scott Gibbs

Scott Barnett was dropped to the 2's this year. No chance he will take out his club's highest vote's although lower plenty may struggle to get any at all.

Bundoora - M.Ravindra
Eltham - Mark Minney
Epping - Rob Fletcher
Macleod - Rob Wise
Mernda - Paul Baker
Plenty - Luke Rosbrook
Riverside - Scott Gibbs

bradfromeltham;329248 said:
Scott Barnett was dropped to the 2's this year. No chance he will take out his club's highest vote's although lower plenty may struggle to get any at all.

If it were votes in a pie eating comp Arnberger would romp it in. Saw him on Saturday. Has he eating half the population in Lower Plenty?

Bundoora;329233 said:

Bundoora - M.Ravindra
Eltham - Mark Minney
Epping - Rob Fletcher
Macleod - Rob Wise
Mernda - Paul Baker
Plenty - Leigh Mctaggart
Research - Luke Rosbrook

Riverside - Scott Gibbs

Has anyone from Eltham or LP actually done the maths on this Saturday's game?

My understanding is that LP can avoid relegation if they win BIG. Does this mean winning by 8 wickets, 7, etc?

Probably a bit farfetched, but with Eltham's bowling attack being just honest, and if Zerafa has a big one and Arnberger does what his reputation says he should, is there any hope for Lower Plenty to stay up?

Shame to see either club go down to be honest - both pretty good clubs and generally decent blokes (except that Dave Quinlan character! ;))

Tongs;329240 said:

yeah sorry about that, but then again, Spider polled votes in our Maxwell/Reynolds voting last season, which is voted on by the players, and wasn't available that game!!!

Not too bright down our way........

Bundoora;329233 said:

Bundoora - M.Ravindra
Eltham - Mark Minney
Epping - Rob Fletcher
Macleod - Rob Wise
Mernda - Paul Baker
Plenty - Luke Rosbrook
Riverside - Scott Gibbs

Bubble Wrap;329278 said:

My understanding is that LP can avoid relegation if they win BIG. Does this mean winning by 8 wickets, 7, etc?

Probably a bit farfetched, but with Eltham's bowling attack being just honest, and if Zerafa has a big one and Arnberger does what his reputation says he should, is there any hope for Lower Plenty to stay up?

Shame to see either club go down to be honest - both pretty good clubs and generally decent blokes (except that Dave Quinlan character! ;))

all out 380 and they stay up i think.

With all the talk about relegation, interested in peoples thoughts - especially from Macleod, Lower Plenty, Lalor & Mernda who've all experienced both recently on what it actually means to there club.

Having almost experienced it, apart from perceptions, i don't think a lot changes. The same players will play, the same supporters will support, the sponsors won't drop off and to be honest if a player thought he was too good to play money shiled, you wouldn't want them anyway.
At the end of the day, it's local cricket and you should play for your club, regardless of what leauge/divison or association they are in.

Just to be clear, i'm interested in the impact on the club, not the playing side of the equation.

bradfromeltham;329248 said:

If it were votes in a pie eating comp Arnberger would romp it in. Saw him on Saturday. Has he eating half the population in Lower Plenty?

Bubble Wrap;329278 said:

I think you are the first person on here, to have a go at his father! haha

You do make a valid point though, two good clubs that are having a rough year, and may go down. It is a massive shame, but someone has to do it! There is one very good point to look at (and this is following on Brad's point) no longer does it appear the team that comes UP will get smashed and go back down. Whilst most people (myself included) think Money shield is a poo comp, it is getting better. Not the whole way through, but the top 4 go alright when they come up.

Bubble Wrap;329278 said:

is it better too struggle in the top grade and create unrest within the club which can come about when not having success or go down and regroup as a club for a season or two and then go back up. ( no dig at either club in Barclay as i know nothing about either).

Bundoora;329283 said:
all out 380 and they stay up i think.

OK, I got interested and made up a spreadsheet to show how it all works.

Basically, if Lower Plenty were to pass Eltham 4 down, then they would stay up.

If Lower Plenty were 5 down, they would need 264 runs to stay up
If Lower Plenty were 6 down, they would need 292 runs to stay up
If Lower Plenty were 7 down, they would need 320 runs to stay up
If Lower Plenty were 8 down, they would need 348 runs to stay up
If Lower Plenty were 9 down, they would need 376 runs to stay up
If Lower Plenty were 10 down, they would need 404 runs to stay up

As you can see, if Lower Plenty were to pass Eltham, the game is still not over - both teams will know the above targets and may well want to play well after a result is achieved to make sure the runs/wickets ratio is in their favour.

Disclaimer: I am not a mathematician - both clubs should do their own calculations and not rely on the above, as there's every chance I've ballsed it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back