DVCA: Barclay Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: DVCA: Barclay Shield

OK, went through the results and did some analysis:

Skips has 15 - 17 votes by my calculations. There are two contentious games.

Rd 3 versus Research, Skips got 122 but Shannon Malone got 6/68 and was in the winning team, so not sure which way the umpires would vote there.

Rd 11 versus Lower Plenty, Skips in the box seat for 3 votes, but if Lower Plenty get up and someone from their team gets a ton, then he may only get two. Scott Barnett also in the mix for the 3 votes with his 5 wickets, especially if he chips in with a few runs as well.

Went through the same thing for Gibbo:

Has 12 - 15 votes at this stage. Contentious games:

Rd 1 versus Macleod - we lost but Gibbo took 6/41 and made 35, Waddingham got 91 but was on the winning team.

Rd 3 versus Epping. We got smashed, Lever gets the three for his 128, Gibbo got 5/63 but is competing for the two votes with Sammy McTaggart 56 and Corey Hurst 4/29.

Rd 5 versus Eltham. We made 5/360 - Simon and Elliot get 3 and 2 votes for their hundreds, Gibbo was 3rd top scorer with 34, but Dan Hoyne got 30 opening, so he may get the 1 vote ahead of Gibbo. Also, do they even award votes for a half-played match?

Rd 11 versus Creek. Chasing 316, if we get them and Gibbo gets a big score, then he'd be in the mix for the 3 votes with Dale Tassone.

On the above basis, I'd say Skips has it unless Gibbo can get a big hundred against Creek.

(There may be others in the mix but I have work to do! Feel free to look at the other contenders and have a crack at their votes...)

Bubble Wrap;328399 said:
Seven - 1 per each bye conceded this season.

Unfortunately that won't be enough, as every other keeper will get 20+ :D

Gee he must be the best keeper in Australia. Maybe give Ricky a call and let him know about those feats. I'm sure he could get a flight to South Africa just in time to take Haddins spot!

Bundoora;328380 said:
i didn't think you played a game this season:D

HAHA not bad for you Brad. I was making reference to the best keeper as quoted by Bubblewrap

legend of a bear;328456 said:
Deano....36 extras (very costly in the scheme of a low scoring match), of which 18 were byes. :eek:

Time to Singa back :confused:

Lach didn't have great day, having said that 16 were in the first 5 overs when he was struggling with the variable bounce from Stu's end. Happy to play a 17yo and find out in a match just how much work he needs, even i can keep at training ( very badly!! )

don't worry about the extras, i know where your coming from but if we can't chase down 172 it won't have much to do with the bowling/fielding/keeping.

Tongs;328408 said:
Gee he must be the best keeper in Australia. Maybe give Ricky a call and let him know about those feats. I'm sure he could get a flight to South Africa just in time to take Haddins spot!

Let it go Quinny - the comp game's gone, he was picked, many disagree, we all move on... I thought we were trying to have a discussion about the Ray Christiansen Medal?

On another topic, would be interested to hear the thoughts of current players - based on what you've seen this season, who would you pick as the 2 umpires for the A grade grand final?

My pick would be Nick Shearer and either Chris Whitcher or Robert Poyntz. David Moore would be my 4th one to round out the semi final appointments.

Bubble Wrap;328399 said:
Seven - 1 per each bye conceded this season.

Unfortunately that won't be enough, as every other keeper will get 20+ :D

Bubble Wrap;328466 said:
Let it go Quinny - the comp game's gone, he was picked, many disagree, we all move on... I thought we were trying to have a discussion about the Ray Christiansen Medal?

On another topic, would be interested to hear the thoughts of current players - based on what you've seen this season, who would you pick as the 2 umpires for the A grade grand final?

My pick would be Nick Shearer and either Chris Whitcher or Robert Poyntz. David Moore would be my 4th one to round out the semi final appointments.

Dave Moore would have to be 1. He has been umpiring for 3yrs and hasnt made a mistake. :rolleyes:

Bubble Wrap;328466 said:

Rob Poyntz has my vote. Although I haven't played this year, he has always impressed me. Always very fair, and hardly ever have I seen him make a bad decision.

David Moore should get G Grade. Whats the point in having an umpire if he doesn't have the balls to give out an LBW?

legend of a bear;328456 said:
Deano....36 extras (very costly in the scheme of a low scoring match), of which 18 were byes. :eek:

Time to Singa back :confused:

Lach didn't have great day, having said that 16 were in the first 5 overs when he was struggling with the variable bounce from Stu's end. Happy to play a 17yo and find out in a match just how much work he needs, even i can keep at training ( very badly!! )

don't worry about the extras, i know where your coming from but if we can't chase down 172 it won't have much to do with the bowling/fielding/keeping.

Tongs;328491 said:
Rob Poyntz has my vote. Although I haven't played this year, he has always impressed me. Always very fair, and hardly ever have I seen him make a bad decision.

David Moore should get G Grade. Whats the point in having an umpire if he doesn't have the balls to give out an LBW?

Fair point, but he's consistent in his application of the rule. I prefer umpires that don't give many LBW's compared to some that put the finger up every time there's half a shout. All umpires see things differently, all I ask is that they're consistent. I reckon Dave Moore is always consistent at least.

My pet hate is umpires that try to be involved in the game. One in particular who I won't name, you just know if he hasn't had to make a decision for a dozen overs will put his finger up the very next time there's a shout - he just can't help himself.

Tongs;328408 said:

Bubble Wrap;328501 said:
Fair point, but he's consistent in his application of the rule. I prefer umpires that don't give many LBW's compared to some that put the finger up every time there's half a shout. All umpires see things differently, all I ask is that they're consistent. I reckon Dave Moore is always consistent at least.

My pet hate is umpires that try to be involved in the game. One in particular who I won't name, you just know if he hasn't had to make a decision for a dozen overs will put his finger up the very next time there's a shout - he just can't help himself.

Come on Shane Grow some balls and name name's.

Bubble Wrap;328466 said:

Dave Moore would have to be 1. He has been umpiring for 3yrs and hasnt made a mistake. :rolleyes:

Tongs;328491 said:

Dave, you probably haven't played enough games in the grades that have umpires assigned to them to be able to comment on this have you?

For what it's worth I reckon Poyntz, Moore and Shearer are your top three by a country mile and you can just about forget the rest.

Bubble Wrap;328466 said:

CricketBox;328562 said:
Dave, you probably haven't played enough games in the grades that have umpires assigned to them to be able to comment on this have you?

For what it's worth I reckon Poyntz, Moore and Shearer are your top three by a country mile and you can just about forget the rest.

Oh please, I have played well and truly enough at this level to know who is or isn't a half decent umpire. Which grade do you dominate each week?

Tongs;328491 said:

Tongs;328563 said:
Oh please, I have played well and truly enough at this level to know who is or isn't a half decent umpire. Which grade do you dominate each week?

Haha, you make me laugh. Take it easy, Im mucking around, I couldn't resist throwing that one in.

Actually, whilst we are on the subject, when are we going to see the much anticipated return of one D. Quinlan?

Bubble Wrap;328501 said:

Come on Shane Grow some balls and name name's.

CricketBox;328589 said:
Haha, you make me laugh. Take it easy, Im mucking around, I couldn't resist throwing that one in.

Actually, whilst we are on the subject, when are we going to see the much anticipated return of one D. Quinlan?

yeah cricket box which grade do you dominate? we know so little about you?

Tongs;328491 said:

CricketBox;328589 said:

Do you smoke pot? We are in the middle of Round 11. When do you think I might return? Round 12 or 13?

CricketBox;328562 said:

Tongs;328563 said:

Tongs;328600 said:
Do you smoke pot? We are in the middle of Round 11. When do you think I might return? Round 12 or 13?

Yes, round 12 or 13.

What about next year or any time in the future David?

CricketBox;328589 said:

yeah cricket box which grade do you dominate? we know so little about you?

CricketBox;328623 said:
Yes, round 12 or 13.

Maybe put that question to me in 8 months time when cricket starts again? As for next year, there is no reason why I shouldn't be playing. Pending my back being ok.

Might get a clearance to your great club, so that I can watch a brilliant cricketer like yourself. Clearly you would be better than skips? Which one would that be?

CricketBox;328589 said:

Tongs;328625 said:
Maybe put that question to me in 8 months time when cricket starts again? As for next year, there is no reason why I shouldn't be playing. Pending my back being ok.

Might get a clearance to your great club, so that I can watch a brilliant cricketer like yourself. Clearly you would be better than skips? Which one would that be?

How did Skips become involved in this?

If you check my posts you'll see that just last week I called him the second best bat in the country behind Ricky Ponting.

CricketBox;328646 said:
How did Skips become involved in this?

If you check my posts you'll see that just last week I called him the second best bat in the country behind Ricky Ponting.

so who is the 3rd best atm? (deleted)

Tongs;328600 said:

Yes, round 12 or 13.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back