DVCA - C grade and below

Re: DVCA - C grade and below

Is Reasearch the greatest joke in the DVCA, they have forfieted their 'C' grade side again this week. What excuse are they going to give this time?

The DVCA cannot allow this to continue, whilst they are forfieting games thier opponenets are getting 10 points because College are getting beat outright every week.

If you dont have more than 22 commited players then best you only field two teams and not stuff other clubs around.

Mr Haydos;377186 said:
mpcc will be the E grade champions

Looks like their 'H' grade big hitter struggled up with the big boys.

Best you dont get to far ahead of yourself Haydos, its a long season.

100% BULL;377761 said:
Is Reasearch the greatest joke in the DVCA, they have forfieted their 'C' grade side again this week. What excuse are they going to give this time?

The DVCA cannot allow this to continue, whilst they are forfieting games thier opponenets are getting 10 points because College are getting beat outright every week.

If you dont have more than 22 commited players then best you only field two teams and not stuff other clubs around.

Same excuse apparently. Not fielding sides of players who haven't paid their subs! It is ruining the game for other clubs (but i do understand where they are coming from) I think teams that are forfeiting games should pay the other side compensation. ie The fine that they get $100 goes to the other side for screwing them over!

I heard Plenty did the same thing this week too!

Tongs;377764 said:
Same excuse apparently. Not fielding sides of players who haven't paid their subs! It is ruining the game for other clubs (but i do understand where they are coming from) I think teams that are forfeiting games should pay the other side compensation. ie The fine that they get $100 goes to the other side for screwing them over!

I applaud these clubs for standing their ground. The common denominator here is that clubs are not going to be held to ransom. Unfortunately the opposing clubs miss out and the players that are available at the forfeiting club are missing out also. I know at the Stars we have a dedicated sub collector that hounds the players from day 1. We also have coloured training shirts of which are incorporated into the yearly subs. Our subs are $200 which includes a green training shirt, a red match day shirt and a playing shirt. All have the appropriate sponsorship on them. Players have to pay by the end of round 1, $50 to receive their shirts, or if they dont and dont have a green training shirt, they dont train and dont warrant selection. If they hadn't paid and have not approached me stating their predicament by the end of round 5 then they can be an onlooker until they do.
If it is a matter of 10 blokes that aren't financial over the 4 or 5 grades, should the clubs still play but with say 8, 9 or 10 players in each team, rather than forfeiting a certain team?

cold case;377809 said:
I applaud these clubs for standing their ground. The common denominator here is that clubs are not going to be held to ransom. Unfortunately the opposing clubs miss out and the players that are available at the forfeiting club are missing out also. I know at the Stars we have a dedicated sub collector that hounds the players from day 1. We also have coloured training shirts of which are incorporated into the yearly subs. Our subs are $200 which includes a green training shirt, a red match day shirt and a playing shirt. All have the appropriate sponsorship on them. Players have to pay by the end of round 1, $50 to receive their shirts, or if they dont and dont have a green training shirt, they dont train and dont warrant selection. If they hadn't paid and have not approached me stating their predicament by the end of round 5 then they can be an onlooker until they do.
If it is a matter of 10 blokes that aren't financial over the 4 or 5 grades, should the clubs still play but with say 8, 9 or 10 players in each team, rather than forfeiting a certain team?

I think its bigger than that at Research, from the outside they look like a rabble.

100% BULL;377810 said:
I think its bigger than that at Research, from the outside they look like a rabble.

I'm sure Stewy will answer that for us. They dont struggle with the afternoon teas' though. Magnificent!

100% BULL;377761 said:

I thought we did only field 2 teams? I don`t want to get on here and make excuses every week, just to say I have been involved at the club for 18 seasons and I have never seen the club go through anything like this before! I`ll try and explain things a bit to save people (uninformed) speculating or making ridiculous statements about what has been happening. Predominantly, most of our issues have come from previous years where we have let some of our lower grades become teams of a group of core mates playing together, running, Captaining and doing all the organisation. Mostly in D,E,F grades. Whilst in the past this has worked out ok, it relied on those guys (approx 15 in number) continueing to play. Last season we had 5 sides and ran into issues, so this season dropped back to 4 with the E grade to be made up of a Father and son side. The result was that 13 of these 15 guys are not playing and alot of them were of a C grade standard or higher, this has placed a tremendous strain on our playing stocks which has been compounded by the weekly unavailabilities of high proportion. This game we had 3 A grade players away at Schoolies, 2 Agrade players unavailable for family reasons, 1 Agrade player going to Sydney next week for the V8 Supercars, 5 B grade players unavailable next week due to a concert and a further 6 players of D,C grade standard only available 1 week. We have spoken to the Executive of the comp via a meeting at our club 2 Thursdays ago, result being that we expect and hope that from the next game evrything should be on a more stable footing to finish off the season. The club recognises that it`s not ideal, but the comp was warned on our predicament early on in the season and a compromise was sought, hoewever the association decided not to assist us.

Tongs;377764 said:

Tongs, no one is screwing anyone over here! Most clubs are having issues of some description and it`s getting harder, not easier to run clubs and keep the younger generations interested over a period of years. And it`s not a financial issue either, we will finish with near 50k in the bank after the season. One question I will ask though, is what support do the clubs receive off the Association? Are there any programs that they are promoting? All they seem interested in is revenue raising! Fineing clubs for useing lower case letters when entering team list on the net, PLEASE! How many organisations budget for fines to avoid going into the red? Answer=DVCA!

brutal;377814 said:
Tongs, no one is screwing anyone over here! Most clubs are having issues of some description and it`s getting harder, not easier to run clubs and keep the younger generations interested over a period of years. And it`s not a financial issue either, we will finish with near 50k in the bank after the season. One question I will ask though, is what support do the clubs receive off the Association? Are there any programs that they are promoting? All they seem interested in is revenue raising! Fineing clubs for useing lower case letters when entering team list on the net, PLEASE! How many organisations budget for fines to avoid going into the red? Answer=DVCA!

If a team has trained all year, done preseason and paid their fees etc. only to miss games because the other teams pulls out due to disciplinary reasons (I understand the subs need to be paid etc) then yes they are being screwed over!

We all have people go away/schoolies/family reasons etc, and by the sounds of things the Search' have had an awful run this week, but get a heap of under 16's, someones dad or cousin or something to play! At least give the other team a game of some sort!

I do agree that the DVCA are like the Victoria Police in the revenue raising department. Yet at the same time, they do need to make sure that sides are doing their bit to make sure someone doesn't have to come back through and clean up someone elses mess!

brutal;377814 said:

I'm not one to get on here and throw stones at the DVCA exec, during my time as President of Bundoora I found everyone I dealt with on the DVCA committee very helpful. I did however raise at one of the presidents meetings, what was the leagues mission, and they couldnt answer that. It would be interesting to know how the DVCA measure success, and if they have some type of mission statement and KPI's as most organisations would. I will reiterate though, I think the DVCA do a pretty good job.

PremiersAgain;377878 said:
Tongs, are you involved on the committee at Eltham?

I'm not this year, I have been for the past 5-7 years. And before you question as to why I'm not. I was not going to play this year due to injury, but got a call at 12:55pm before round 1 to play as they were short, and I have just continued on. I am also unavailable after christmas as I go overseas for 3 months. So I was not able to committ to the committee this year, and it is not fair if i can't give 100% of the season.

Why is that?

100% BULL;377931 said:
I'm not one to get on here and throw stones at the DVCA exec, during my time as President of Bundoora I found everyone I dealt with on the DVCA committee very helpful. I did however raise at one of the presidents meetings, what was the leagues mission, and they couldnt answer that. It would be interesting to know how the DVCA measure success, and if they have some type of mission statement and KPI's as most organisations would. I will reiterate though, I think the DVCA do a pretty good job.

They spend far too much time trying to slug clubs in the hip pocket, which puts added pressures on clubs and the volunteers. If they need fines to balance the books, why not be a bit more upfront and charge clubs an extra 500 per season in affiliation fee`s! Over the years I have just found there attitude rather dictatorial, I think they need to be more pro-active and be more of a support network for clubs.

brutal;378016 said:
They spend far too much time trying to slug clubs in the hip pocket, which puts added pressures on clubs and the volunteers. If they need fines to balance the books, why not be a bit more upfront and charge clubs an extra 500 per season in affiliation fee`s! Over the years I have just found there attitude rather dictatorial, I think they need to be more pro-active and be more of a support network for clubs.

Agreed the fines can be over the top but how else do you get the clubs to comply with getting the scores in on time?
As it is now, some clubs are still ordinary at meeting the deadlines.
If we didnt have fines in place, then scores might not get entered at all or at least until the end of a game. Would be a bit ordinary if you wanted to check up how matches are going.

As for the extra affiliation fees, they have slugged us all and extra $500 or so this season - claiming that exact reason - the only reason they are in the black each year is because of fines which they cannot rely on.
However they also signed a lucrative ball sponsor deal this year. What happened to that ???

An email will come around soon asking clubs for their views going forward. I suggest clubs have a really good hard look at where their club is at and in particular where each club is struggling and formulate ideas around that.

I for one think Sunday cricket is killing the comp. Certainly kills any social turn planned the night before 2 grades play on the sunday.
Reckon we should move to 3 divisions of 10 teams ( yes we need 4 more) and not start until 3rd week of October to allow clubs time to get organised.

THE PREZ;378159 said:
Agreed the fines can be over the top but how else do you get the clubs to comply with getting the scores in on time?
As it is now, some clubs are still ordinary at meeting the deadlines.
If we didnt have fines in place, then scores might not get entered at all or at least until the end of a game. Would be a bit ordinary if you wanted to check up how matches are going.

As for the extra affiliation fees, they have slugged us all and extra $500 or so this season - claiming that exact reason - the only reason they are in the black each year is because of fines which they cannot rely on.
However they also signed a lucrative ball sponsor deal this year. What happened to that ???

An email will come around soon asking clubs for their views going forward. I suggest clubs have a really good hard look at where their club is at and in particular where each club is struggling and formulate ideas around that.

I for one think Sunday cricket is killing the comp. Certainly kills any social turn planned the night before 2 grades play on the sunday.
Reckon we should move to 3 divisions of 10 teams ( yes we need 4 more) and not start until 3rd week of October to allow clubs time to get organised.

Tool is keeping the seat warm for you Georgey!
The DVCA exec do a fair job as I have always said. Always been loathe to make hard decisions. I might get some reaction in saying they do the bare minimum and most of them are title chasers!
I am a firm believer that too many committee meetings are a waste of time. If it cant be worked out one on one or via e-mail then something is severely wrong. Here are some quotes on committees and committee meetings.

To get something done a committee should consist of no more than three people, two of whom are absent.
Robert Copeland

To kill time, a committee meeting is the perfect weapon.
Author Unknown

A committee is a group that keeps minutes and loses hours.
Milton Berle

Committee--a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done.
Fred Allen

Any committee is only as good as the most knowledgeable, determined and vigorous person on it. There must be somebody who provides the flame.
Claudia Lady Bird Johnson

If Columbus had an advisory committee he would probably still be at the dock.
Arthur Goldberg

There is no monument dedicated to the memory of a committee.
Lester J. Pourciau

If you see a snake, just kill it - don't appoint a committee on snakes.
Ross Perot

Very interesting.

cold case;378172 said:
Tool is keeping the seat warm for you Georgey!
The DVCA exec do a fair job as I have always said. Always been loathe to make hard decisions. I might get some reaction in saying they do the bare minimum and most of them are title chasers!
I am a firm believer that too many committee meetings are a waste of time. If it cant be worked out one on one or via e-mail then something is severely wrong. Here are some quotes on committees and committee meetings.

To get something done a committee should consist of no more than three people, two of whom are absent.
Robert Copeland

To kill time, a committee meeting is the perfect weapon.
Author Unknown

A committee is a group that keeps minutes and loses hours.
Milton Berle

Committee--a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done.
Fred Allen

Any committee is only as good as the most knowledgeable, determined and vigorous person on it. There must be somebody who provides the flame.
Claudia Lady Bird Johnson

If Columbus had an advisory committee he would probably still be at the dock.
Arthur Goldberg

There is no monument dedicated to the memory of a committee.
Lester J. Pourciau

If you see a snake, just kill it - don't appoint a committee on snakes.
Ross Perot

Very interesting.

There are always plenty of hands put up on here to knock the exec, but very few when it comes to taking on a job that gets NO thanks, and I mean No thanks. Who thanks the dvca exec? CC its all very well to shout from the shadows, or from the middle of the room as you've been known to do, its a lot harder to come up with solutions to complex, sometime interelated issue's and to do it over one or more seasons. Maybe you should step up to a bigger stage CC, you have strong opnions about how things should be, and you are not shy in sharing them, do you think you could rally a group around you to effect the type of change you are talking about?

100% BULL;378196 said:
There are always plenty of hands put up on here to knock the exec, but very few when it comes to taking on a job that gets NO thanks, and I mean No thanks. Who thanks the dvca exec? CC its all very well to shout from the shadows, or from the middle of the room as you've been known to do, its a lot harder to come up with solutions to complex, sometime interelated issue's and to do it over one or more seasons. Maybe you should step up to a bigger stage CC, you have strong opnions about how things should be, and you are not shy in sharing them, do you think you could rally a group around you to effect the type of change you are talking about?

I thank my mum for making dinner or my friends for being great friends or my son for being a good son. I certainly dont need to thank the DVCA executive. They do nothing for me or my club. Haven't sighted them in years at a home and away match. Only hear from them when the want or need something. The clubs run the competition, and always have. The committee has even reliquished comp team selection a few years ago. Too much on their plate. I expect my league executives to be seen. As you should know committees are volunteers and "thanks" dont come with the job. If you put your hand up, then bust your arse and do the job, otherwise get on your bike.
As I said they do ok but the bare minimum. Perfect candidates for the future job would be Ian Rutt or Stuey Biddle. They both have their own clubs to run at the moment though. I wouldn't be looking at the job because I still thrive on the club environment. I am not willing to give that away in the near future. Those on the executive probably believe that their club cant offer them much anymore.
How did I know that you would be the first fish to jump on the hook?

One thing I would do Craig is make sure my committee men were seen around the grounds asking questions and showing genuine interest. I would also make the umpires attend training at least twice a year as appreciation for the $2500 tax free dollars they can earn each year!

It was remiss of me not mentioning a new acquisition to the executive this year. Kevin Marshall is a fine bloke. He is up to speed with the needs of today and would definately make a great leader of the competion if he so desired.
Unfortunately he is a busy man and may not ever seek such a position. Bloody Mernda man, thats the only problem!

cold case;378202 said:
I thank my mum for making dinner or my friends for being great friends or my son for being a good son. I certainly dont need to thank the DVCA executive. They do nothing for me or my club. Haven't sighted them in years at a home and away match. Only hear from them when the want or need something. The clubs run the competition, and always have. The committee has even reliquished comp team selection a few years ago. Too much on their plate. I expect my league executives to be seen. As you should know committees are volunteers and "thanks" dont come with the job. If you put your hand up, then bust your arse and do the job, otherwise get on your bike.
As I said they do ok but the bare minimum. Perfect candidates for the future job would be Ian Rutt or Stuey Biddle. They both have their own clubs to run at the moment though. I wouldn't be looking at the job because I still thrive on the club environment. I am not willing to give that away in the near future. Those on the executive probably believe that their club cant offer them much anymore.
How did I know that you would be the first fish to jump on the hook?

One thing I would do Craig is make sure my committee men were seen around the grounds asking questions and showing genuine interest. I would also make the umpires attend training at least twice a year as appreciation for the $2500 tax free dollars they can earn each year!

Maybe those on the executive believe they have something to give back to the competition, is that such a challenging concept for you consider?

and what would you do if the umpires didn't attend at least two training session? Do you have a plan B?

Back