Dvca - How Do We Make It Better?

First, it's not personal at all. I've banned you more often than I've banned him, it's just that you don't carry on with abusive messages after the fact, like he did.

Secondly, his ban expired a long time ago. His disappearance has been self appointed. Not such a bad thing.
Fair enough,I'd go quiet to if my club was relegated to money shield. I would just like to hear of the boom recruits they've picked up for this season.

Last edited:
I have an idea to make the DVCA better.
Try promoting the game and the upcoming season.
For a start why not update the website and release some fixtures to get some interest going.
Surely it cant be that hard as the top grades have been known since the end of March!!!!

Also make some comments about the proposed CV revamp and how it may or may not effect cricket in the DVCA.

So in the words of a legendary coach......DO SOMETHING !!!

I have an idea to make the DVCA better.
Try promoting the game and the upcoming season.
For a start why not update the website and release some fixtures to get some interest going.
Surely it cant be that hard as the top grades have been known since the end of March!!!!

Also make some comments about the proposed CV revamp and how it may or may not effect cricket in the DVCA.

So in the words of a legendary coach......DO SOMETHING !!!

But that means they have to do some work,and then when you write something like this they'll say 'feel free to put up your own hand to help out' or 'you know I don't get paid for this'. P$ss poor effort that a fixture can't be put out a month before they start.

Thats just it Warrior, they DO get paid for it!!!

Media Manager responsible for the website.......a paid position.
Operations Manager responsible for all fixturing.........a paid position.
General Manager supposedly to manager all things related to DVCA......a paid position.

The only person not being paid is the President which explains why he does nothing ;)

I worked in marketing a few years ago and maybe we should have actual marketing professionals work in this area as they might be good at it instead of having someone from cricket clubs run the comp website/promotion.

I worked in marketing a few years ago and maybe we should have actual marketing professionals work in this area as they might be good at it instead of having someone from cricket clubs run the comp website/promotion.

Whilst you're totally right, you'd only have to employ a year 9 student at the bottom of his computer class, and they'd do a better job than what's currently happening. It's been a long running shocking attempt of a website in a day and age where social media is vital, the DVCA runs this area disgracefully at best.

The old man is a marketing professional (Diploma of Business Management, Marketing, E-commerce and certificate 4 of workplace training and assessment) but the DVCA didn't hire him when he had an interview with them a few years ago.

I had a good laugh when i heard that the Vets were graded by drawing names out of a hat. I'm sure that could be improved in some way :thumbsu:
I hadnt heard of this until I read your post so spoke to a few of our vets guys over a beer tonight at the rooms.
They had nothing but disgust in what the dvca have done and how unfair and unbalanced they have made the vets top 2 grades this year. As they put it, its like last years top Barclay sides playing against your D and E grade sides. A total f------g joke was used more than 20 times in our chat.
They also told me how the fixtures came out on the Monday before the first round giving no sides a chance to do anything about correcting the problem.
What happened to building a competition that is fair and even throughtout all the grades?
Seems like the powers that be have lost the plot yet again. (if they ever had the plot)

Oh and I will add, great website .....NOT !!!

whys there so many good bowlers and so many few batsmen in this comp?

I don't think it's a case of having very few good batsmen, I think it's just the bowlers have most of the advantages in a game that already favours the bowler. The ball being changed to the 4 piece helped the batsman and changing the decks back to the older style will help batting again. We're already seeing some better scores because of that I think. Another consideration is the grounds we play on. Slow grounds means batsman have to take more risks to score and hence present more wicket opportunities. It was actually a pleasure to play on a ground where I could drive the ball through the field (without trying to smash the case off it) and it go for 4 all the way along the ground on the weekend, you can't do that on many grounds. If more grounds offered better value for your shots, you'd see high scores too. Perhaps that is something to work on in the future too, better ground conditions that will allow batsman to score more runs.

Rather than asking why there are so many good bowlers (or at least bowlers offering up good figures), I ask why shouldn't there be so many good bowlers, with the conditions they have.

Just wondering out loud if the comp could do more to avoid heat outs for the kids during afternoon/evening games? What if games started at 5:30 or 6 rather than 5 as the season moves into summer? It would give it a chance to cool down a bit and games could be played, rather than just taking the temperature at 5pm and calling games off. Yeh so kids get home a bit later than usual, big deal, but I think we need to look for more opportunities to get matches played. It is a summer sport afterall.

Just wondering out loud if the comp could do more to avoid heat outs for the kids during afternoon/evening games? What if games started at 5:30 or 6 rather than 5 as the season moves into summer? It would give it a chance to cool down a bit and games could be played, rather than just taking the temperature at 5pm and calling games off. Yeh so kids get home a bit later than usual, big deal, but I think we need to look for more opportunities to get matches played. It is a summer sport afterall.
Next thing you’ll be asking for a longer tea break big fella,I do hear you love a chew.

You know WW, I get more intelligence from the 5 years old's at Milo cricket than you. It must be difficult going through life being as dim as you are.

Here is a thought for the weekend.
With the news that metropolitan races have been moved from Saturday to Sunday in light of the forecast 41 degrees, perhaps the Dvca can move all fixtures to Sunday day as well.....

That's an excellent idea. I'm all for any and all ideas that lead to us playing more cricket and not less, which means I doubt it will be done. Committee's are unfortunately where good ideas go to die.

Ever thought of standing for the board Serg. With proactive ideas like that you'd be running the comp in about 3 weeks.

Here is a thought for the weekend.
With the news that metropolitan races have been moved from Saturday to Sunday in light of the forecast 41 degrees, perhaps the Dvca can move all fixtures to Sunday day as well.....
Huge from you here Serg! Nothing wrong with that idea
Also one for discussion is the Melbourne Cup long weekend. Idea that has been floated around lately, is that all grades have a bye weekend that weekend. Then the following weekend is a saturday sunday round. Every year there is always unavailabilities in the lower grades especially for those who want to go to the races and/or go away for the long weekend. Doing this is similar to how the Northern Footy League do it over the Queens birthday weekend, a comp bye.
Thoughts ??

Back