Dvca - How Do We Make It Better?

Well, according to Tongs, "most" people think ill of the executive, so there should be no problems in standing enough people at the next AGM to have a controlling majority on committee. Yes?

Agree. It is hard enough to get people to stick their hand up at club level. Who will move to a DVCA role when their first love is the club? It is easy to sit back and criticise the DVCA executive, why don't the experts on these pages put their names forward and do the hard yards?

I don't cop that. Are you saying that because they're volunteering to do the role (although people forget some are actually PAID positions) we just have to suck it up and accept that they are running the comp at a very substandard level? I understand that when Maxwell left, there weren't people banging the door down to do the role, but that was a number of years ago now. It should not mean that we settle for a tyrant President, a puppet administrator doing very little to benefit and enhance the competition, whilst running good people out of town.

Whilst I could rattle off a number or areas totally lacking (see below), the major problem is there have been a number of very good executive members that have left over the last 3-5 years, and others are purely going through the motions. Why is that? From what I have personally been told from some ex and current members is that they totally feel hamstrung in their positions. It is basically what the President wants goes. I have heard a number of stories of bullying/abuse of exec members by him, in fact I have seen it first hand a number of times.

Other areas that the comp is totally lacking, due to mediocrity in their efforts that we continually accept.

* Social Media is deplorable. We pay someone to do a job in running it, what the hell does he actually do?? The website looks like it was designed in 1990 by a high school IT student who wagged half his classes to smoke cones. The facebook page is rubbish. It really isn't that hard to put information up, and keep it up to date.
* Sheer stupidity with decision making - ie the heat rule the other day. Games were never going to be played, so show some respect to your members, don't waste their time and make a smart decision early.
* Fixturing is a total joke. The last two years has been getting worse and worse. Not only with the lateness, but the baffling fixtures some clubs have, for no apparent reason (ie the top two grades playing away the same week)
* The umpiring needs a good revamping, which I do respect is easier said than done.
* The tribunal/suspension system is nothing short of corrupt and farcical with how they operate.
* Junior cricket is getting weaker by the year, both in participation and quality.
* Clubs are on the verge of death due to lack of numbers as some clubs are able to spend 10x what others have as total income for a season. What support are some of the smaller clubs getting to help stay afloat? And I'm not just talking financial.

* Junior cricket is getting weaker by the year, both in participation and quality.
* Clubs are on the verge of death due to lack of numbers as some clubs are able to spend 10x what others have as total income for a season. What support are some of the smaller clubs getting to help stay afloat? And I'm not just talking financial.

Good points but what do we about them?

Again, it's one thing to identify a problem or state something you don't like, it's a whole different thing to do something about it. Some things may be beyond the control of committee, particularly the points lower11 points out.

One thing I will say is I think the T20 blast is taking kids away from mods and under 12 cricket. On a whole that program is detrimental to junior cricket as it does not prepare youngsters for under 14 cricket. Other than that, basketball and soccer are absolutely killing junior cricket. This is primarily a social problem, not a competition one. These sports allow for instant gratification, they allow kids to play full time despite skill level. The concentration and skill level to enjoy playing cricket is much higher than other sports and it is, primarily an adults sport. I don't think you can water down junior cricket anymore, in fact I'd be against that.

Keeping senior players is again a social issue I think. I'll use BU as an example. We actually put in 4 teams, we had well over 40 players pre season, but work and family have seen at least 12 regular players unable to commit each week. That hurts, but there's nothing we can do about it, with the economy being run into the toilet by the government guys need to take that Saturday work, to pay for their kids and mortgage. The better the economy and job security the higher club numbers will be on the senior side of things.

This is the whole problem, what are the EXEC doing to assist in these areas? What are they doing to help the clubs? People forget that the powers to be that are in these positions are paid employee's and are employed to do a job, which they clearly aren't. Fixtures are out 5 days before we are to play and are a total dogs breakfast, the social media side is deplorable and the person who is to make these people accountable is never seen, other than his usual few reds on the balcony at Riverside and that's it. Where is the accountability for these people?

All of the issues raised above are equally important and are bringing the comp down more and more. Imagine being a prospective player or parent who has moved into the area and they try to look at the website to find clubs in your area or information. Its a shocking website with information that is so far outdated that it looks obsolete. What is the Exec doing to try to bridge the gap between a Riverside/Diamond Creek (big clubs) to a Whittlesea (small club)?

Losing senior players is not just an economical issue. I am hearing more and more how senior players are starting to get the shlts with the comp and how it is operating and run. Enough is enough.

Surely bringing back Shield Reserve grades would help with the fixturing

But that makes far too much sense!

I know there were issues in the past with clubs dropping players knowing teams needed to win to get into finals, and there was an occasion where a second XI was woeful for about 3-4 years straight, but it makes more sense to me. It also means that teams 1st XI & 2nd XI aren't sometimes 4 grades apart.

That will only work if you don't allow clubs to move up and down divisions. Otherwise in a few years you'll end up with the same jumble of teams you have now. There are advantages and disadvantages to both, although I did question why on two occasions this year we had no home game at Loyola while teams we played had two home games. I am unaware if we pointed this out to committee or not, but if so, I feel it should have been changed. Fixtures should always have a match at clubs home ground each week. I will happily accept a little imbalance in home and away games for this and for the ability to move up and down the grades.

I think you can have an up and down system (which i am a fan of) and still have home games most week, i just think dvca have **** up here. Like tongs said a year 10 could have done a better job.

You know, usually I'm the anti authoritarian one, but if these are the worst criticisms of the executive, well I kinda expected the issues that were upsetting you and others would be more serious. The most serious of those things mentioned I don't think you can blame on them, or the clubs for that matter. We certainly can't round up guys at gunpoint and force them to play. Yes, there are some fixturing issues, yes social media/website could be bit better, umpiring, well they are at the mercy of who volunteers and tribunal, well I've never been in front of it, but from what I hear from some of our guys that were last in front of it, they got a reasonably fair hearing.

As I keep saying, if "everyone" is so upset, well stand for position. If "everyone" stood, then you should have no problems in gaining a controlling majority of the board, that way any vote put to the committee you'd win. It's literally that simple, stick your hand up when nominations are called for. Since "everyone" thinks ill of committee, you're assured to be voted in, yes?

You know, usually I'm the anti authoritarian one, but if these are the worst criticisms of the executive, well I kinda expected the issues that were upsetting you and others would be more serious. The most serious of those things mentioned I don't think you can blame on them, or the clubs for that matter. We certainly can't round up guys at gunpoint and force them to play. Yes, there are some fixturing issues, yes social media/website could be bit better, umpiring, well they are at the mercy of who volunteers and tribunal, well I've never been in front of it, but from what I hear from some of our guys that were last in front of it, they got a reasonably fair hearing.

As I keep saying, if "everyone" is so upset, well stand for position. If "everyone" stood, then you should have no problems in gaining a controlling majority of the board, that way any vote put to the committee you'd win. It's literally that simple, stick your hand up when nominations are called for. Since "everyone" thinks ill of committee, you're assured to be voted in, yes?

Firstly, not once in any of my three posts have I said that "everyone" feels this way, in fact I have not used that word even once. So I am not sure why you pointed that out three times to try to strengthen your very weak and pathetic argument. But I will say that my phone has run off the hook with people saying they have read my posts, and 100% agree with me. From club presidents, coaches, ex club 1st XI captains, and club members (and that's people not from my old club). All saying they completely agree with my sentiments but won't post out of fear of being suspended. So I dare say it has my weight than you expect.

Secondly, as I said in my post. Purely accepting the 3/4 senior exec members running the comp into the ground because no one else is putting their hands up is total rubbish, or if I want it done better, I have to do it myself. These people make the decision to apply for the job, they then (some of them) happily take money from the association to do a substandard job. Which I will point out - is your money being spent on these people to continue to do a shocking job. Its about time they got held accountable for their actions, and start doing their job properly.

Firstly, not once in any of my three posts have I said that "everyone" feels this way, in fact I have not used that word even once. So I am not sure why you pointed that out three times to try to strengthen your very weak and pathetic argument. But I will say that my phone has run off the hook with people saying they have read my posts, and 100% agree with me. From club presidents, coaches, ex club 1st XI captains, and club members (and that's people not from my old club). All saying they completely agree with my sentiments but won't post out of fear of being suspended. So I dare say it has my weight than you expect.

Secondly, as I said in my post. Purely accepting the 3/4 senior exec members running the comp into the ground because no one else is putting their hands up is total rubbish, or if I want it done better, I have to do it myself. These people make the decision to apply for the job, they then (some of them) happily take money from the association to do a substandard job. Which I will point out - is your money being spent on these people to continue to do a shocking job. Its about time they got held accountable for their actions, and start doing their job properly.
Well it seems that since your opinions are so well thought of an overwhelmingly popular with the punters, your a shoe in to save the comp. Geez....talk about blowing your own trumpet!

Sorry, 'most' then.

My point still stands. If there are so many people who disagree with how the competition is being run, there's little point in complaining, put your hand up at the next AGM and take control. As a member of the DVCA, it is your right to run for committee and you can't be penalised or otherwise punished for doing so.

Sorry, 'most' then.

My point still stands. If there are so many people who disagree with how the competition is being run, there's little point in complaining, put your hand up at the next AGM and take control. As a member of the DVCA, it is your right to run for committee and you can't be penalised or otherwise punished for doing so.

So I take it that based on your comments that you've run for presidency at your club? Or joined the BU committee? Or applied for coach of BU? All things that you've complained about on here a number of times.

I dont know much about the inner workings of dvca but just think the late call on extreme weather lately has been a bad pr move for dvca and i would like a please explain.

So I take it that based on your comments that you've run for presidency at your club? Or joined the BU committee? Or applied for coach of BU? All things that you've complained about on here a number of times.

I did serve briefly on committee but resigned due to irreconcilable differences of opinion and year before last I said I'd coach the club for free if none other could be found. Committee may have taken that as me stirring the pot a little, but I was only half kidding. I was fully prepared to do it.

Think they should have reserve days in cricket for days lost to extreme weather. We dont play enough cricket as it is, on top of that the unpredictable weather climate...

Think they should have reserve days in cricket for days lost to extreme weather. We dont play enough cricket as it is, on top of that the unpredictable weather climate...

Well the only day available is Sunday. If you wanted to do that, why not take on Serg's suggestion that if you have enough advanced warning, move the game from Saturday to Sunday that week.

Sunday's are a bad idea as far as changing a few days out. Todays society is 7 days a week work wise and socially, many players would have no chance with work and family commitments on that short notice. Maybe it could work in the top Grades but finding enough to field all teams on short notice would be difficult imo.
On average it would be lucky to be one game a year that gets washed out/heated out anyway. And if it is the first day of a two dayer then you get the following week anyway.

Back