Dvca - How Do We Make It Better?

3 or 4 times this year I've heard that the rule for full toss no balls has changed to class everything above waist high as a no ball. Whoever started this rumour please stop. For anyone but slow bowlers, it's no ball if the ball does or would have passed about waist height, for slow bowlers it's shoulder height.

3 or 4 times this year I've heard that the rule for full toss no balls has changed to class everything above waist high as a no ball. Whoever started this rumour please stop. For anyone but slow bowlers, it's no ball if the ball does or would have passed about waist height, for slow bowlers it's shoulder height.

THE NEW
THE LAWS OF CRICKET 2017 CODE

41.7 Bowling of dangerous and unfair non-pitching deliveries

41.7.1 Any delivery, which passes or would have passed, without pitching, above waist height of the striker standing upright at the popping crease, is to be deemed dangerous and unfair, whether or not it is likely to inflict physical injury on the striker. If the bowler bowls such a delivery the umpire shall immediately call and signal No ball. When the ball is dead, the umpire shall caution the bowler, indicating that this is a first and final warning. The umpire shall also inform the other umpire, the captain of the fielding side and the batsmen of what has occurred. This caution shall apply to that bowler throughout the innings.

THE OLD
The Laws of Cricket (2000 Code 4th Edition – 2010)

42.6. Dangerous and unfair bowling

(b) Bowling of high full pitched balls

(i) Any delivery, other than a slow paced one, which passes or would have passed on
the full above waist height of the striker standing upright at the popping crease is to
be deemed dangerous and unfair, whether or not it is likely to inflict physical injury
on the striker.

(ii) A slow delivery which passes or would have passed on the full above shoulder height
of the striker standing upright at the popping crease is to be deemed dangerous and
unfair, whether or not it is likely to inflict physical injury on the striker.

Last edited:
So either the rule book online is wrong, or people aren't reading the rules of the DVCA. Which is it?

qgZJweN.jpg

So either the rule book online is wrong, or people aren't reading the rules of the DVCA. Which is it?

qgZJweN.jpg

Obviously, in the off-season, the DVCA failed to properly look at the new Laws of Cricket due to (and which did) come into operation worldwide on 1st October 2017, and to make all the necessary consequential amendments to its Local Rules (such as, inter alia, S17).
They did manage to change S1 and J1 to refer to the new 2017 Code.

The logical position is that
- the new Law 41.7.1 applies, and all waist-high full tosses are no balls
- they are called by the bowler's end umpire because Law A5.1 of Appendix A of the Laws says where the description the umpire is used on its own, it always means ‘the bowler’s end umpire’ .

S17 did not and was not intended to alter the bouncer/full toss no ball definitions in the then-Laws; all it did was (at the request of the Umps Association) extend the power to call them to official umpires at square leg, because the local umpires felt the square leg ump was often in a better position to judge them

It is a moot point whether S17 still allows an official umpire at square leg to also call them. In normal circumstances, he would simply give the nod to his partner at the bowler's end, who would then call it - which is what happens in Senior Cricket, if you watch closely.

Last edited:
Yeh that's all well and good, but which one stands? The rule is not listed as being changed on the website and the rule is not changed in the book, so logically the old rule must stand for this year, should it not? I wasn't at the AGM so have no idea if it was voted on. This nearly made a difference to our game on Saturday, hence me looking it up and asking this.

Yeh that's all well and good, but which one stands? The rule is not listed as being changed on the website and the rule is not changed in the book, so logically the old rule must stand for this year, should it not? I wasn't at the AGM so have no idea if it was voted on. This nearly made a difference to our game on Saturday, hence me looking it up and asking this.
They're not mutually exclusive.
They both apply.
All waist-high full tosses, fast or slow, are no balls.
The bowler's end umpire can call them.
An official umpire at square leg can call fast waist-high ones, but only shoulder-high slow ones.
An unofficial umpire at square leg cannot call them, fast or slow.

Last edited:
But my point is; that's not what is written in this years rule book. The DVCA is not obliged to follow the official rules of cricket, we are an independent body, hence why we need to vote on rule changes. My position is if the new rule has not been sent to the AGM or special general meeting and been voted in, then the old rule as currently written in the book stands.

we Play to the DVCA rule book at all times. If there’s a differing between the 2 then we follow the rules of our competition.

But my point is; that's not what is written in this years rule book. The DVCA is not obliged to follow the official rules of cricket, we are an independent body, hence why we need to vote on rule changes. My position is if the new rule has not been sent to the AGM or special general meeting and been voted in, then the old rule as currently written in the book stands.

we Play to the DVCA rule book at all times. If there’s a differing between the 2 then we follow the rules of our competition.

See DVCA Rule S1.
The ‘Laws of Cricket 2017 Code’ apply to all matches, unless excluded or modified by or inconsistent with these Rules.

Rule S17 and Law 41.7.1 both apply.

They are not mutually exclusive.

Law 47: All waist-high full tosses, fast or slow, are no balls.
Law 47 and Rule S17: The bowler's end umpire can call them.

Rule S17: An official umpire at square leg can call fast waist-high ones, but only shoulder-high slow ones.

Law 47 and Rule S17: An unofficial umpire at square leg cannot call them, fast or slow.

All waist-high full tosses are no balls.

Honestly.... what is this? Does anyone care?

The randomness of the "news" posted (and not posted) on the DVCA website and Facebook page is bewildering.

AROUND THE GROUNDS

Mernda Cricket Club has worked their way to second position on the B-Grade ladder and according to medium pace bowler Craig Simmonds, the unity and reliability of their bowing attack has been a consistent strength.

Simmonds took a career-best haul of 5/7 on Saturday to stave off a defeat against Diamond Creek. After making Mernda’s second highest score of 23 in their middling knock of 132, Simmonds steered his side out of dangerous waters.

“We knew that we had it in ourselves that we could defend such a small score,” says Simmonds. Simmonds took five of the first six wickets to have Diamond Creek 6/42 and thinking not about victory but just self-preservation.

Diamond Creek scraped to 8/69 off their 30 overs by stumps. In the spirit of all unassuming bowlers, Simmonds admits that on the way off the ground he was thinking not of his new personal best but an opportunity at victory missed.
“I was spewing that we didn’t get the last two wickets.”

Although a five-for will always have a bowler in line for promotion, Simmonds says he is more than happy to stay in B-Grade in the run towards final.

“I was put up in the ones in the last match where it got heated out, so I’ve come back down. I usually like to stick to the same group.”

Just make sure you don't say anything perceived to be negative. They'll block you from commenting.

They pumped up a bowler in a "news" article a few weeks ago after he took 7 wickets (or something similar). He was the club's captain and opening bowler, who was playing F Grade at the time. Real hero type stuff that the comp should be trying to stop, not promote.

Just wondering do most talented juniors in the DVCA, go onto plenty valley (subbies club)?? Where do they end up, as I would like to know if there is a clear link between this club and our region as they are both in the same area (north east melbourne)

Just wondering do most talented juniors in the DVCA, go onto plenty valley (subbies club)?? Where do they end up, as I would like to know if there is a clear link between this club and our region as they are both in the same area (north east melbourne)

We lost 1 of our best juniors to PV, because he "wanted to play on turf". I dunno why the kids bother with the subbies, I've never heard a good story of a kid going to one and coming back better for it or making a name for themselves professionally. They usually get used up and chucked away when they develop stress fractures in the back or feet. Kids need to face facts; if your not pushing for your clubs 1st XI selection and then making 100's in them when you're 13 like Ricky Pointing, you're a park cricketer, just accept it.

We lost 1 of our best juniors to PV, because he "wanted to play on turf". I dunno why the kids bother with the subbies, I've never heard a good story of a kid going to one and coming back better for it or making a name for themselves professionally. They usually get used up and chucked away when they develop stress fractures in the back or feet. Kids need to face facts; if your not pushing for your clubs 1st XI selection and then making 100's in them when you're 13 like Ricky Pointing, you're a park cricketer, just accept it.

Subbies is just park cricket too.

No issue with any kid wanting to go and play on turf, after all, that’s what cricket is played on isn’t it?

Best thing local clubs can do, is to make sure they encourage their kids to try and better themselves at whatever level that may be (turf at another club/level or internally at their DV club) and ensure that when they do want to come back and play hard wickets locally, they know they will be welcomed back and still have a connection to their home junior club.

you reckon the dvca facebook page could have done its reports already from the rounds results, plus given a little snippet in relation to finals ( adult and senior) which apparently begin tonight. A bit slack in my book whoever is employed to do this ( paid or voluntary )

you reckon the dvca facebook page could have done its reports already from the rounds results, plus given a little snippet in relation to finals ( adult and senior) which apparently begin tonight. A bit slack in my book whoever is employed to do this ( paid or voluntary )
If you have a Look under recent news you’ll find them.. got posted Sunday morning

Back