Dvca, Nmca And Hdca To Merge

Which Association Clubs will benefit the most from this merger

• Total voters
I guess you would have prefered that I didn't disclose where I played so that you couldn't play the man?

I was merely making the point that a merged competition can strengthen rather than weaken cricket in an area, but I guess you don't want to know that. Perhaps you are afraid of something?

I'm not representing anyone, just bringing another perspective to the "discussion". Or do you just want a lot of yes men in this thread, all agreeing how terrible this idea is for the DVCA?

Please, address the issues rather than abuse those that might bring an opposing POV. In my opinion, there is a clear benefit to all clubs that are part of a big strong league. It gives all clubs more muscle when negotiating with councils over grounds, facilities etc. It prevents duplication of resources amongst clubs and associations that really aren't that far apart. I'm sure that if you stretch yourself you can see some benefit.

You do not know the DVCA, the clubs, the brand of cricket, the local councils, the local history or the characteristics of the competition. You are making an observation from afar. If you feel the Jika Comp or HDCA would benefit from such a merge I urge you to go to their forums also to share your ideas. If the Jike & HDCA want to merge, go for it as from what I hear it may benefit their Comps and clubs (who knows), but leave us out of it.

As to your comments that this move would add "more muscle when negotiating with councils over grounds". I fail to see how it would be any different from our current situation. Personally our club has a great relationship with the local council and being part of some superleague I dont think will intimidate or influence them.

Alot of the supposid positives yourself & some others have put forward thus far are unfounded and just opinions on what they think a new comp would bring. No evidence or factual information has been presented to otherwise change my mind.

You do not know the DVCA, the clubs, the brand of cricket, the local councils, the local history or the characteristics of the competition. You are making an observation from afar. If you feel the Jika Comp or HDCA would benefit from such a merge I urge you to go to their forums also to share your ideas. If the Jike & HDCA want to merge, go for it as from what I hear it may benefit their Comps and clubs (who knows), but leave us out of it.

So...only those within the DVCA can comment on the optimum structure for Victorian cricket? Interesting perspective.

As to your comments that this move would add "more muscle when negotiating with councils over grounds". I fail to see how it would be any different from our current situation. Personally our club has a great relationship with the local council and being part of some superleague I dont think will intimidate or influence them.

It's not a matter of intimidation, it's a matter of negotiation. I have a truckload of experience in dealing with councils, and I know that councillors are very focussed on numbers. Bigger numbers = more votes. It isn't rocket surgery. Still, your club is OK, so no need to worry about anyone else eh?

And that was only a very small point about what the benefits might be.

Alot of the supposid positives yourself & some others have put forward thus far are unfounded and just opinions on what they think a new comp would bring. No evidence or factual information has been presented to otherwise change my mind.

Surely this is an opinion as well? Or is it that those that support reform are offering opinions, and those against change are dealing only in facts?

So...only those within the DVCA can comment on the optimum structure for Victorian cricket? Interesting perspective.

It's not a matter of intimidation, it's a matter of negotiation. I have a truckload of experience in dealing with councils, and I know that councillors are very focussed on numbers. Bigger numbers = more votes. It isn't rocket surgery. Still, your club is OK, so no need to worry about anyone else eh?

And that was only a very small point about what the benefits might be.

Surely this is an opinion as well? Or is it that those that support reform are offering opinions, and those against change are dealing only in facts?

I'm no "Rocket Surgeon" but i would assume with this thread being part of the DVCA forum, that people are only discussing the issue and how it effects the DVCA. Think there is a different thread for those who'd like to discuss the pros and cons of what this new structure may bring to cricket in the Northern Suburbs. You are quite within your rights to discuss, that's what a forum is for and i agree with you that a merge can assist some competitions/clubs such as it has yours.

In regard to our comp, I have no opinion either way other than to say i think that the DVCA is well administered and i enjoy playing cricket against guys i've got to know over the last 15 years. This does not mean things should always stay this way but i'm sure it will take a compelling argument for existing clubs to leave the DVCA and join a new competition.

Without knowing many details (as very few have been provided to date) i can't see how joining a new competition will enhance our clubs in any way, shape or form. I reckon the level of cricket across the board in the DVCA caters for players of all abilities.

Really looking forward to the proposal and what the working paty comes up with, then we can make an informed decision of what best suits our club, which is my primary concern.

I'm no "Rocket Surgeon" but i would assume with this thread being part of the DVCA forum, that people are only discussing the issue and how it effects the DVCA. Think there is a different thread for those who'd like to discuss the pros and cons of what this new structure may bring to cricket in the Northern Suburbs. You are quite within your rights to discuss, that's what a forum is for and i agree with you that a merge can assist some competitions/clubs such as it has yours.

In regard to our comp, I have no opinion either way other than to say i think that the DVCA is well administered and i enjoy playing cricket against guys i've got to know over the last 15 years. This does not mean things should always stay this way but i'm sure it will take a compelling argument for existing clubs to leave the DVCA and join a new competition.

Without knowing many details (as very few have been provided to date) i can't see how joining a new competition will enhance our clubs in any way, shape or form. I reckon the level of cricket across the board in the DVCA caters for players of all abilities.

Really looking forward to the proposal and what the working paty comes up with, then we can make an informed decision of what best suits our club, which is my primary concern.

You must be a 'rocket surgeon' as you always make sense. :D

Nice to get a reasonable reply Bundoora. It isn't Brain Science is it?;)

The fact that people were only discussing the implications for the DVCA was precisely the reason for my contribution. Sometimes it pays to have someone point out that there is a broader perspective that needs consideration.

People say they need "facts" but no-one can truly say what the new comp would look and feel like. There is a certain amount of "leap of faith" in the proposal. That's another reason for my contribution - I have witnessed something similar in this very town and surely that is worth hearing about?
You make it sound as though DVCA clubs will have to up and leave the DVCA, but in reality they stay exactly where they are, sure, the comp changes around them, but nothing that people can't handle: some new opponents, re-gradings and new people and venues to acquaint with. And there will undoubtedly be teething problems. But I can assure you that more clubs, and more cricketers leads to a lifting of standards - it's pure maths. The top grade might be roughly the same, but the real strength is in the lower grades. Higher standards, purely beacuse there are more cricketers running around. Maybe even a turf comp - badly needed for the development of players IMO. I know that CV are really worried about these "green trampoline" pitches going in everywhere.
Anyway, that's another debate.

Over and out!

Draught I may have missed some info on this. Is the DVCA the one driving the set up of this new entity, or has CV set this up? If a league was being set up by CV, and opinions were sought from the three existing leagues, would you like someone from the DVCA to provide an opinion of behalf of the association, or simply let the other two parties dictate terms during a very important period?

Comment - I've not met the DVCA administrator, but I assume he is someone of integrity. I have met the President and I know he is someone of great integrity. I certainly dont think the President has any conflict of interest or any "two hat issues" at the moment. If you are interested in becoming the new figurehead or have a candidiate in mind, you can nominate at the AGM.

For the record, again, I'm against the merger, glad you are also.

100%bull, from what i have been able to pick up on CRICKET VICTORIA are definitley not the ones driving this, There priority is the setting up of a premier club in the whittlesea shire over next 4-5 years, what people need to understand is this is not a proposed merger as everyone kepts referring to it as, its a COMPLETELY NEW COMPETITON, and clubs are being asked to join, from the info i have gained through a couple of members of our executive , the only ones driving this are our president, administrator and one other member of the exec, its my belief reading between the lines is that all the other members of the exec(6 i think) are against it. I'm not questioning the integrity of our prez or administrator( although i may have been alittle strong in earlier post) but i'm just a firm believer in letting the clubs decide on whats best for our comp, as thats what the executives are there to do for us, the pres and administrator have gone outside there boundries as far as deciding the comp will be set up with absolutely no consultation or the ok from the clubs they represent! , but i do believe that if they are along with the members from nmca and hdca the ones that are pushing ahead with setting up the new league then they cant act on behalf of the clubs anymore as this does in my opinion create a conflict of interest. i'm sure theres other candidates worthy of the positions on the executive , it will be interesting to see which clubs and people will stand up against it and how far some will go to keep the dvca as it is, watch this space( not this space but you know what im getting at)
p.s. isn't it great talking about our comp and cricket on here and not reading post that bag our players throughout the comp! its much more enjoyable and thats why ive jumped on board!

100%bull, from what i have been able to pick up on CRICKET VICTORIA are definitley not the ones driving this, There priority is the setting up of a premier club in the whittlesea shire over next 4-5 years, what people need to understand is this is not a proposed merger as everyone kepts referring to it as, its a COMPLETELY NEW COMPETITON, and clubs are being asked to join, from the info i have gained through a couple of members of our executive , the only ones driving this are our president, administrator and one other member of the exec, its my belief reading between the lines is that all the other members of the exec(6 i think) are against it. I'm not questioning the integrity of our prez or administrator( although i may have been alittle strong in earlier post) but i'm just a firm believer in letting the clubs decide on whats best for our comp, as thats what the executives are there to do for us, the pres and administrator have gone outside there boundries as far as deciding the comp will be set up with absolutely no consultation or the ok from the clubs they represent! , but i do believe that if they are along with the members from nmca and hdca the ones that are pushing ahead with setting up the new league then they cant act on behalf of the clubs anymore as this does in my opinion create a conflict of interest. i'm sure theres other candidates worthy of the positions on the executive , it will be interesting to see which clubs and people will stand up against it and how far some will go to keep the dvca as it is, watch this space( not this space but you know what im getting at)
p.s. isn't it great talking about our comp and cricket on here and not reading post that bag our players throughout the comp! its much more enjoyable and thats why ive jumped on board!

First of all, i agree, it is much better to discuss relevant topics than take pot shots at people.

To add a little bit to what you've raised above, i don't agree that they have gone outside the boundaries at all.

From my limited knowledge, the dvca raised this with the HDCA and the NMCA were consulted further down the track. I also understand that Cricket Victoria have had this on their radar for the best part of the last 10 years. I remeber a delegates meeting at Bundoora pre 2004 (it was in our old rooms) where the regional manager stated the long term plan was to have a "premier local" competition in the Northern Suburbs.

While i understand you querying why the DVCA would discuss such a topic, i would assume they did so in the knowledge this was going to happen with or without there support, so they decided to jump on the front foot. (i do not know this as fact, but find it hard to beleive it was driven without Cricket Victorias knowledge, input or directive)

I'm happy that we are well represented by people who i trust. As i've previously stated and has been re-iterated by yourself, this is a new competition that has been created, not a merger between anyone. While people may be against the idea in principal, i think we all adknowledge that the dvca is pretty well administered so i'm happy that we have had an input into how the new competion may be formed. While the general view of this forum seems to be against the idea, some clubs within our comp may see this as a viable option for them and would be happy in the knowledge that the DVCA has been an integral part in the forming of the Northern Cricket Leauge.

I am sure clubs will be well informed and given all the informtion necesssary to make a balanced and informed decision on what is best for their club.
Who knows, it may be prove to be a viable proposition.... ( but i'd take short odds that my club will be in the DVCA for a long time to come )

First of all, i agree, it is much better to discuss relevant topics than take pot shots at people.

To add a little bit to what you've raised above, i don't agree that they have gone outside the boundaries at all.

From my limited knowledge, the dvca raised this with the HDCA and the NMCA were consulted further down the track. I also understand that Cricket Victoria have had this on their radar for the best part of the last 10 years. I remeber a delegates meeting at Bundoora pre 2004 (it was in our old rooms) where the regional manager stated the long term plan was to have a "premier local" competition in the Northern Suburbs.

While i understand you querying why the DVCA would discuss such a topic, i would assume they did so in the knowledge this was going to happen with or without there support, so they decided to jump on the front foot. (i do not know this as fact, but find it hard to beleive it was driven without Cricket Victorias knowledge, input or directive)

I'm happy that we are well represented by people who i trust. As i've previously stated and has been re-iterated by yourself, this is a new competition that has been created, not a merger between anyone. While people may be against the idea in principal, i think we all adknowledge that the dvca is pretty well administered so i'm happy that we have had an input into how the new competion may be formed. While the general view of this forum seems to be against the idea, some clubs within our comp may see this as a viable option for them and would be happy in the knowledge that the DVCA has been an integral part in the forming of the Northern Cricket Leauge.

I am sure clubs will be well informed and given all the informtion necesssary to make a balanced and informed decision on what is best for their club.
Who knows, it may be prove to be a viable proposition.... ( but i'd take short odds that my club will be in the DVCA for a long time to come )

Be careful Bradley, you have been known to take short odds before and come out on the wrong side.

Be careful Bradley, you have been known to take short odds before and come out on the wrong side.

Very good point.

On face value, i just can't see many, if any, will be prepared to make such a major decision.

From expeience as our club delegate, i know how reluctant all clubs have been in regards to rule changes, it took 2 seasons (and Stu Biddle and myself contacting all clubs to gather support ) for the one day games in "A" grade to come back and getting a 4 piece ball introduced was a long process.

I know one of the guys from our club is on the Junior "working party". Will try and see if he has got anything to add as i was under the assumption the junior comp would be up and running from this season.

Very good point.

On face value, i just can't see many, if any, will be prepared to make such a major decision.

From expeience as our club delegate, i know how reluctant all clubs have been in regards to rule changes, it took 2 seasons (and Stu Biddle and myself contacting all clubs to gather support ) for the one day games in "A" grade to come back and getting a 4 piece ball introduced was a long process.

I know one of the guys from our club is on the Junior "working party". Will try and see if he has got anything to add as i was under the assumption the junior comp would be up and running from this season.

Sounds like you would make a good Club President one day "Bundoora".;)

Better than the NCL idea, but even then, does anyone really care?

I doubt Plenty feel the need to beat a team from JIKA or the HDCA to feel a greater sense of achievement or somehow validate their flag. I'd be suprised if whoever wins the JIKA or HDCA flag would feel that way either.

The whole inter-comp thing is a ******** anyway. I've read the criteria they send out each year for clubs wanting to apply to host the matches - 75% of it relates to what catering and drinks you will supply the respective executive members from each comp! The cricket is almost an afterthought. When was the last time the DVCA put anything approximating their best XI on the park? No one cares, hence the games attracting crowds you could count on one hand.

Perhaps Plenty would feel " a greater sense of achievement" in a wider competition. After all they have won 6 out of 8 in the DVCA.

p.s. isn't it great talking about our comp and cricket on here and not reading post that bag our players throughout the comp! its much more enjoyable and thats why ive jumped on board![/quote]

bagging people is fun too, otherwise 80 overs would be completetely unbearable!

Emailed to all Clubs:
Attention all DVCA, HDCA and NMCA member clubs
The Regional Executive invites members from participating clubs in each association to attend an information session regarding the proposed formation of the Northern Cricket League.
WHEN: WEDNESDAY 1 JUNE from 7.30pm - 9.00pm
This meeting will outline progress to date undertaken by planning sub-committees who were charged with the responsibility of investigating the viability of a new cricket body and the merit of aligning cricket in the North and North eastern regions of Melbourne.
Due to space limitations and some 60 member clubs, we ask that four members of each club attend, ideally being made up of key club people such as President, Secretary, Junior Manager/Adminstrator (critical) and perhaps club captain or coach.
Venue: Banyule Theatre
(located just off Buckingham Drive in Heidelberg; Melway 32 D3; venue can be accessed from Beverley Road from the Burgundy Street end or the Banyule Road end; ample parking is available outside the theatre and in the adjacent Beverley Road Oval carpark).
RSVP
Clubs are asked to RSVP to their relevant association administrators with number of people attending by 5pm Monday 30 May.
[DVCA - Michael Atkins; HDCA - Phil Barnes; NMCA - Bill Anderson].
We look forward to seeing you there.

Perhaps Plenty would feel " a greater sense of achievement" in a wider competition. After all they have won 6 out of 8 in the DVCA.

I can tell you that a wider sense of achievement wouldnt come in the form of the NCL from our point of view. As a club we have major doubts on the proposed comp.

So what happened at the meeting?
As expected a room full of small and narrow minded people that are not willing to even think about it. Half of the morons that asked questions at the end wouldn't even listen properly to what the executives had to say. It wont go ahead because too many people only consider the negatives and not the positives

As expected a room full of small and narrow minded people that are not willing to even think about it. Half of the morons that asked questions at the end wouldn't even listen properly to what the executives had to say. It wont go ahead because too many people only consider the negatives and not the positives

Not surprised to hear that, and not disappointed. I think the discussion has been worthwhile, its time now to improve our (already strong) comp by implementing some of the very good ideas / commenst / thoughts that have been thrown around over the past 4 months.

I`m tipping that might be because there was too many negatives!

Back