DVCA: Player movements and rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: DVCA: Player movements and rumours

Centre to Leg;407656 said:
Old Paradians CC (now Plenty Valley) promise young kids the world and often deliver very little for them. Going to Sub District Cricket is a sideways step. If a young fella in the DVCA is serious & good enough they would follow in the footsteps of Mitch Johnson (Plenty CC) and prove their ability in Barclay Shield or Money Shield first and then go down the line to a Premier Club where they will receive the real coaching and real development required to further their game.

If it wasnt for big money handed out each season by Cricket Victoria to Sub District Clubs many of these Sub District Clubs would go under. Quite often this money they receive for player development often goes into buying a Premier Cricket Gun like Adam Dale or a Mick Lewis for example. Not sure there is much player development going on. But I could be wrong.
Good luck anyway....hope you have a Melway for game days, you will need it.
I have heard this argument from a former District captain in the HDCA. Don't go to subbies, go straight to district as subbies is crap and a waste of time. I found it interesting that Old paradians had Ash Cavigan as its captain for 3 years so because he is in subbies he must be crap yet all of a sudden his cricket ability rose now he is assistant coach at Northcote with a level 2 coaching accreditation. He also played with Carlton and Fitzroy- Doncaster. At the end of the day it doesn't matter where you go as long as the club you play with has a good coach and assistants with accredited coaching levels. If Mitch Johnson had have gone to subbies last year he still would have played 1sts and would have had a year on turf, and someone would be using him as an example of its better to go to subbies first. I think its horses for courses.

100% BULL;407712 said:
Sub District is a waist of time, if kids are serious about learning the game and want to see how good they are then they should go straight to district, otherwise they should stay in the valley and play first or even seconds at a Barclay club.

Like Mark Phelan. Worked his way up to our Barclay side last year, now he's at Carlton.

100% BULL;407712 said:
Sub District is a waist of time, if kids are serious about learning the game and want to see how good they are then they should go straight to district, otherwise they should stay in the valley and play first or even seconds at a Barclay club.

How many decades did you say you have held that belief?

The Ox;407725 said:
Like Mark Phelan. Worked his way up to our Barclay side last year, now he's at Carlton.

I don't believe there is any suggestion here that the course of action and decisions made by such junior players is in any way flawed or less than ideal. If that strategy has worked for them then fantastic. I applaud it. But lets get the blinkers off and have a wider perspective on the world. Please. It's 2010 for goodness sake.

As I think Goliath put it, it can be horses for courses. As long as you stick to the basics of quality development, the path may actually vary. My real concern is that static thinking restricts opportunity. And serious junior development must incorporate opportunity.

onemoreover;407760 said:
I don't believe there is any suggestion here that the course of action and decisions made by such junior players is in any way flawed or less than ideal. If that strategy has worked for them then fantastic. I applaud it. But lets get the blinkers off and have a wider perspective on the world. Please. It's 2010 for goodness sake.

As I think Goliath put it, it can be horses for courses. As long as you stick to the basics of quality development, the path may actually vary. My real concern is that static thinking restricts opportunity. And serious junior development must incorporate opportunity.

Hollow promises to bolster fledgling junior programs and fill in gaps in the thirds isnt development or opportunity. There are plenty of great opportunities and development programs run by the dvca and various pathways organisations, but kids should be aware that all that shines isnt gold. My advise (based on decades of strong opinions) is the sub district should be plan B, plan A being district.

100% BULL;407712 said:

I don't want to say that sub district is a waste of time but I agree that if a kid wants to make it the first place to start is at a premier club. I think that if premier cricket did not have a 4th xi then sub district would be a good stepping stone. But I believe it is not required because of the 4th xi.
Any kid that is any good should be sent to a premier club early, it is better for his future and also the clubs long term future. If he doesn't make it he will
certainly come back and be a better and more rounded player because of it. It may be hard for a club to tell a kid that is good that the best place for him is not at their club. But in most cases it will pay dividends in the long run when he does come back IMO.

riversidestrangler;407771 said:
I don't want to say that sub district is a waste of time but I agree that if a kid wants to make it the first place to start is at a premier club. I think that if premier cricket did not have a 4th xi then sub district would be a good stepping stone. But I believe it is not required because of the 4th xi.
Any kid that is any good should be sent to a premier club early, it is better for his future and also the clubs long term future. If he doesn't make it he will
certainly come back and be a better and more rounded player because of it. It may be hard for a club to tell a kid that is good that the best place for him is not at their club. But in most cases it will pay dividends in the long run when he does come back IMO.

having played both (subbies and district, although many years ago) i found that from a players point of view district cricket was extremely demanding of your time, not only of a players time, but if they were unable to drive, the amount of time that mum and dad have to spend getting you to training and to grounds (geelong,frankston etc) is quite taxing. having not only played, but having been a parent of a player that played district pre-driving the demands are high.
subbies clubs are little more giving in respect to flexiblity to time commitments, i would'nt recommend talented players going and playing 3rds and 4ths at subbies. exposure to turf, both playing and at training, can only be positive.
like every sporting club in the world, to attach players you need to approach players from other clubs, that's reality!
its horses for courses, and each player, family has different requirements and needs, what works for them in starting in the subbies 2's and playing 1's, might well fit into there level of commitent and time management, and then when they can drive and mange their own time can give it 100 percent then maybe go to district, with a couple of years of turf cricket behind you.

to throw a blank over subbies and say its rubbish i think it's shallow.

one shot;407776 said:
having played both (subbies and district, although many years ago) i found that from a players point of view district cricket was extremely demanding of your time, not only of a players time, but if they were unable to drive, the amount of time that mum and dad have to spend getting you to training and to grounds (geelong,frankston etc) is quite taxing. having not only played, but having been a parent of a player that played district pre-driving the demands are high.
subbies clubs are little more giving in respect to flexiblity to time commitments, i would'nt recommend talented players going and playing 3rds and 4ths at subbies. exposure to turf, both playing and at training, can only be positive.
like every sporting club in the world, to attach players you need to approach players from other clubs, that's reality!
its horses for courses, and each player, family has different requirements and needs, what works for them in starting in the subbies 2's and playing 1's, might well fit into there level of commitent and time management, and then when they can drive and mange their own time can give it 100 percent then maybe go to district, with a couple of years of turf cricket behind you.

Quality post!

Ok I agree, I didn't think of it from the driving and time commitment side of things etc. I was lucky and my parents would drive me anywhere and support me 100% and that was extremely demanding of their time.
I never said the comp was rubbish, It quite obviously isn't.
Just my opinion that if time permits and you have the time to commit (and parents) then premier is definatley the first place to go.
Let's face it, if you want to make it you need to play premier so as soon as you are able to drive the place to be is a premier club. And if you don't have the time or the commitment then the chances of you making it are slim to none IMO.

riversidestrangler;407772 said:
Is the mitch Johnson you are talking about theone that Andrew sturgess trains?

Mitch is mates with Sturge and they have throw downs together. Do you have an opinion on wether he will make it at your old club?

PremiersAgain;407809 said:
Mitch is mates with Sturge and they have throw downs together. Do you have an opinion on wether he will make it at your old club?

Im pretty sure he will play higher than 3rds and 4ths. So he already has the strangler covered!

PremiersAgain;407809 said:

havent seen a huge amount of him. played one t20 with him and he seemed ok but hard to tell. i know tht sturg rates him so i will value his judgement and say tht as long as he puts the work in he should develop nicely as a player. whether he makes it or not i don't know, but i wish him luck with it. hopefully he enjoys the challenges tht await him.

riversidestrangler;407848 said:
very difficult for me not to bite back at this one tongs. but ill leave it alone. ;)

Thats not how Tongs rolls, bite back, he enjoys it.

riversidestrangler;407781 said:
Ok I agree, I didn't think of it from the driving and time commitment side of things etc. I was lucky and my parents would drive me anywhere and support me 100% and that was extremely demanding of their time. I never said the comp was rubbish, It quite obviously isn't.
Just my opinion that if time permits and you have the time to commit (and parents) then premier is definatley the first place to go.
Let's face it, if you want to make it you need to play premier so as soon as you are able to drive the place to be is a premier club. And if you don't have the time or the commitment then the chances of you making it are slim to none IMO.

Quality Bundoora folk your parents....:)

riversidestrangler;407848 said:
very difficult for me not to bite back at this one tongs. but ill leave it alone. ;)

You don't have anything to bite back with when its the truth!

CowCorner;407850 said:
Thats not how Tongs rolls, bite back, he enjoys it.

And CC, I LOVE IT!!! I learnt from you!

Massive rumour doing the rounds is a certain committee member of Eltham CC has decided to offer a massive coaching contract to a M.Hogg.

Dunno what will happen to Willo.

Tongs any truth to this mate?

one shot;407776 said:

Great post, One Shot. It really is horses for courses and situations. At least with the Subbies you are playing relatively closer to home than some of the travel required for Premier.

riversidestrangler;407847 said:
havent seen a huge amount of him. played one t20 with him and he seemed ok but hard to tell. i know tht sturg rates him so i will value his judgement and say tht as long as he puts the work in he should develop nicely as a player. whether he makes it or not i don't know, but i wish him luck with it. hopefully he enjoys the challenges tht await him.

Having seen him thrash 16-1s around the park a couple of seasons ago, including beating our boys almost by himself, I have to say I rate him pretty highly, will be interesting to see how he goes now he's playing seniors on turf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back