DVCA: Player movements and rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry, . I remember the game, Topham made 100 odd to win the game, The last ball before Tea he was caught down legside of Dan O'leary given not out. Which is when stmps were knocked over by the ball not my legs.
i was furious but shouldnt have thrown the ball at the pegs, tipping if i did kick em over would have been reported for it!

you posted about this when it happened but i can tell you i didnt kick em over.

short time reader, first time poster lol

popped in to see a great topham inspired win by the mighty pingers v macleod on saturday, we'll be back next year!!

can someone please explain how there were no reports from this match? i heard massive abuse toward the umpires and even the stumps got kicked over when toppy was given not out last ball before tea, everyone heard the knick, except the ump, but the carry on was uncalled for and no reports????? who is in control these days? and where is the comp heading when players can boot the stumps out of the ground and no action is taken?

you must have a ball attached to your boot, you definately kicked them out, i saw it with my own eyes, i recall being surprised that you weren't reported for it, even so, that I asked the umpire (dicky) at the break if you had been reported or not, i think he knew that the other ump has messed up so he let it slide..anyway where are you playing next season????

your eyes must have been playing up that day, or were a few cold ones involved? ask the blokes who were on the ground.
But anyway in the past now so i'll move on. Not sure what i'm doing next season. Heading o/s for a couple of weeks and will see what happens.
Are the rumoured retirees at epping actually retiring or just rumours?

I'd just like to raise a point after hearing that Mark Minney is almost certain (please confirm/deny Tongs) to be the big recruit for NEW next season...

I'm of the opinion that anyone who decides to jump ship from a club that he has been a big part of for many years, played regular First XI cricket for and was the mainstay of a team that finished last in Barclay Shield this year is of very poor character.

Let me say now that this is not an attack on Mark, I'm just using this rumour as an example and it's unfortunate that a star of the DVCA is the centre of it.

But, if you've been the star player (or any player for that matter) in a side that finishes on bottom you should take it upon yourself to stick around, put a bit back in and help the players around you to become better cricketers and get them back to the top level. Rather than wipe your hands of it and say "Stuff you blokes, I'm a a Barclay Shield cricketer and I'll play Barclay Shield all my life, rather than lower myself to your standard and play a year or to in Money Shield".

I'm hoping this is just a rumour, just like every other year we hear he's out of there, and that he sticks round and gives the club, players, members, supporters, etc the resepct they deserve rather than having the attitude explained above.

Just interested on anyone else's thoughts regarding any big name player leaving any club under the same circumstances?

I'd just like to raise a point after hearing that Mark Minney is almost certain (please confirm/deny Tongs) to be the big recruit for NEW next season...

I'm of the opinion that anyone who decides to jump ship from a club that he has been a big part of for many years, played regular First XI cricket for and was the mainstay of a team that finished last in Barclay Shield this year is of very poor character.

Let me say now that this is not an attack on Mark, I'm just using this rumour as an example and it's unfortunate that a star of the DVCA is the centre of it.

But, if you've been the star player (or any player for that matter) in a side that finishes on bottom you should take it upon yourself to stick around, put a bit back in and help the players around you to become better cricketers and get them back to the top level. Rather than wipe your hands of it and say "Stuff you blokes, I'm a a Barclay Shield cricketer and I'll play Barclay Shield all my life, rather than lower myself to your standard and play a year or to in Money Shield".

I'm hoping this is just a rumour, just like every other year we hear he's out of there, and that he sticks round and gives the club, players, members, supporters, etc the resepct they deserve rather than having the attitude explained above.

Just interested on anyone else's thoughts regarding any big name player leaving any club under the same circumstances?

Having known the man for over 25 years (seriously) questioning Marks charactor is something many people would not do. Very solid character, much evident in all the rumours that have happened with his cricket AND football over many many years.

I find the rumour very interesting, I highly doubt its true and look forward to Tongs reply.

Although if he wants to try something different I may just have to give him a bell........

I'd have to disagree, I'm not privy to what Mark gets paid to play at Eltham cricket club, but to go out on a limb I'm willing to bet he could have earnt a lot more money at other clubs over the journey. Ad to that the fact that in recent years he's managed to win games off his own bat that have kept Eltham in Barclay Shield a season or two longer than they should have, he has been an integral part of ECC over the years and if anyone were to question his character for leaving it would be born of sour grapes, sour grapes that would be better served aimed at the committee there for failing to surround him with another star cricketer to ease the burden, and with all due respect to ECC I believe they'll find it a lot harder to bounce straight up to Barclay because I don't think they're a better team than Greensborough or Lower Plenty or perhaps even some of the other sides in Money and at some stage they need to plan for life after Minney.

Having known the man for over 25 years (seriously) questioning Marks charactor is something many people would not do. Very solid character, much evident in all the rumours that have happened with his cricket AND football over many many years.

I find the rumour very interesting, I highly doubt its true and look forward to Tongs reply.

Although if he wants to try something different I may just have to give him a bell........

I deem Skips to be one of my better mates down the club, having known him since i was about 10 i would guess. Ok, so here is my reply.Over the last 15+ years Skips (Mark) has been offered MASSIVE amounts of money, many roles, many clubs, a few different competitions. Much of them would be more than what he is on, some have been 4x as much. The funny thing is, this is footy and cricket.

Skips also should have gone on to play at a much higher level in both sports. But he has always stuck by ECC. I see no reason as to why he would leave now. He has been through massive highs, and massive lows. And not once have i thought he would not play at ECC.

I guess there is a possibility he won't play. And he deserves the break more than anyone. But I would expect him to either A) not play at all (doubt it) or B) play at ECC. There is no other option.

The rumors that you're hearing have been coming out of NEW all year, and its simple not true. Skips is not a money hungry scumbag like others in DVCA (you can insert your own names). If Skips would ever be tempted to leave it would be for a BS flag. Something that NEW are no chance (sorry boys). But i doubt it as previously said.

I deem Skips to be one of my better mates down the club, having known him since i was about 10 i would guess. Ok, so here is my reply.Over the last 15+ years Skips (Mark) has been offered MASSIVE amounts of money, many roles, many clubs, a few different competitions. Much of them would be more than what he is on, some have been 4x as much. The funny thing is, this is footy and cricket.

Skips also should have gone on to play at a much higher level in both sports. But he has always stuck by ECC. I see no reason as to why he would leave now. He has been through massive highs, and massive lows. And not once have i thought he would not play at ECC.

I guess there is a possibility he won't play. And he deserves the break more than anyone. But I would expect him to either A) not play at all (doubt it) or B) play at ECC. There is no other option.

The rumors that you're hearing have been coming out of NEW all year, and its simple not true. Skips is not a money hungry scumbag like others in DVCA (you can insert your own names). If Skips would ever be tempted to leave it would be for a BS flag. Something that NEW are no chance (sorry boys). But i doubt it as previously said.

Must say I agree with Tongs here! There was talk of him being offered 15k to play at Epping last season, also was a rumour from the previous season that he was going to play at NEW as he was best mates with someone down there. I have spoken to people that have known Skips and played with him for a long time and the concensus has been that he will either retire to spend more time with his kids or continue as he has for many a year, and contibute to the ECC.

Must say I agree with Tongs here! There was talk of him being offered 15k to play at Epping last season, also was a rumour from the previous season that he was going to play at NEW as he was best mates with someone down there. I have spoken to people that have known Skips and played with him for a long time and the concensus has been that he will either retire to spend more time with his kids or continue as he has for many a year, and contibute to the ECC.

Why would Skips go from one poor batting team to go to another? Only jokin Eltham CC boys;), Im disappointed to see you guys go down. Epping on the other hand...

You have to ask what would motivate Mark Minney to change clubs. He is clearly not motivated by cash and I doubt he would move just to play Barclay shield. The only possibility is that he may want a Barclay Premiership, you don't play cricket for ever and when he looks back on his cricket he must wish he'd won more games. I could only see Skips move for that reason which only leaves the obvious premiership contenders.

You have to ask what would motivate Mark Minney to change clubs. He is clearly not motivated by cash and I doubt he would move just to play Barclay shield. The only possibility is that he may want a Barclay Premiership, you don't play cricket for ever and when he looks back on his cricket he must wish he'd won more games. I could only see Skips move for that reason which only leaves the obvious premiership contenders.

What you need to think about is that Eltham have struggled for about 4-5 years now, and he has had offers from teams that were "contenders" yet he chose to stay. Why? Because he is a loyal, good bloke, who sticks by his mates, and enjoys spending time with his mates.

A great characteristic in any person!

Hey Tongs, any truth in a rumour I heard a week or so ago that John Bubis may be back at Eltham next season?

NONE whatsoever. Its funny I was talking to a mate of mine the other day and said that every year there are about 20 rumours about players moving clubs. ELtham get linked to about 17 of them. Its purely and simply not true at all!

Would we take Johnny? Of course. But I can tell you now, that I am on the recruitment committee that is responsible for getting players, and we have not spoken to Johnny once.

NONE whatsoever. Its funny I was talking to a mate of mine the other day and said that every year there are about 20 rumours about players moving clubs. ELtham get linked to about 17 of them. Its purely and simply not true at all!

Would we take Johnny? Of course. But I can tell you now, that I am on the recruitment committee that is responsible for getting players, and we have not spoken to Johnny once.

Might pay to give him a call Tongs! If the rumours are correct, he might need a new home!

Taylors Lakes Cricket Club seeks Senior
Coach for 2011/2012 season
Taylors Lakes Cricket Club presents an exciting opportunity for a senior
playing or Non-playing coach to enhance the club’s pursuits for continued
improvement.
Taylors Lakes Cricket Club has two teams in the VTCA North A competition
and four teams in the North West Cricket Association. The club has rich
history of recent on field success, a strong off field position and a
commitment to junior development and community participation.
The successful applicant must have :

Effective communication skills

Committed to excellence

Task Driven
Applications via e-mail:
taylorslakes@club.cricketvictoria.com.au
or Shaun Borg 0415 558 192
Applications close May 30, 2011

What you need to think about is that Eltham have struggled for about 4-5 years now, and he has had offers from teams that were "contenders" yet he chose to stay. Why? Because he is a loyal, good bloke, who sticks by his mates, and enjoys spending time with his mates.

A great characteristic in any person!

Mark Minney is a champion bloke and a great servant of the Eltham CC. I personally think he will stay with Eltham CC as being chassed by other clubs for big $ is nothing new to Skips.

Whatever his choice may be, all I know is that he deserves the respect to play where he likes. He is a legend of the DVCA and the Eltham CC, and both will be missed from Barclay Shield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back