Eastern Cricket Association 2010/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Eastern Cricket Association 2010/11

indignant_toad;406778 said:
Isn't it just logical?
haha, apart from baker (who will take apart A turf this season) who are the guns from A Turf. Any names from heathmont worth mycricketing?

We are a pretty even bunch to be honest with you Toady.

McCann, Sverens and Savory did the job with the ball and as you can see by the stats our batting really didn't deliver enough last year with only Scotty Carroll showing any real resistance.

We def have some work to go but I think we can challenge as I don't think there is any standout team this year so I expect it to be very close

Terry_Tibbs;406780 said:
Maley scored score 350 runs @ 50 when Burwood got relegated from Dunstan in 08/09.
It may take him some time to get going after a year out, but I'm confident he'll do the business.

Heathmont may finish above Burwood. Hopefully your captain has learnt how to set a field by now.

No Comment! In regards to field setting but yeah some of us didn't agree with him that day.

Ok thats decent stats, but it is Burwood which is an absolute road and small ground. You guys will def need some bowlers though

indignant_toad;406759 said:
Obviously, names like the o'connels, holt, brandon-jones, hutton, hickey, kiely, elsmore, howsam would all be excellent additions to the club. However, Gairns, O'neil, Howell, T Fahey, J Fahey and the Smith/Cohen brothers do the club justice for now.
If those "big names" come back, they'll be competing with hopefully "bigger" names on the ECA scene.
Apparently the under 19 league is back up and running, with clubs supposedly being able to play 2 over age players. I'd feel sorry for opposition teams with the rotation of some of those names mentioned above.
Terry, if you have anything to add?

Haha those names aren't exactly tearing premier cricket up:

O'Connells 2' and 3's

Holt played 7 1's games last year hasn't impacted yet

Hickey 3's and 4's, gave cricket up 2 season ago. Didn't come back to NB

Kiely Don't know what he even plays

B-J Played 3 or 4 1's games

Hutton Can't get a game at camberwell, off to melb uni

Elsmore Back playing after he tossed it in.

Howsam Playing for Marcellin OB.

None of these juniors would come back to NB for a reason

These names: Gairns, O'neil, Howell, T Fahey, J Fahey and the Smith/Cohen
haven't even played mare than 15 games of dunstan combined. Except Julian Cohen

Night Hawke;406772 said:
just looked at howells stats looks like the kid can bowl

You obviously didn't see howells stats in dunstan last year. 6 wickets in 6 games. With stats like that "the kid can bowl"

Richo_Man;406783 said:
No Comment! In regards to field setting but yeah some of us didn't agree with him that day.

Ok thats decent stats, but it is Burwood which is an absolute road and small ground. You guys will def need some bowlers though

The bowling is always the worry, but it really did improve towards the end of the year.
James Dunn should have a better year after a good pre season, and Simon Kars picked up 20 wickets last year. Young James Wilson bowled very well last year, and hopefully will put on another yard. John Doak has been recruited from Barnies to bowl his leggies and generally be a good lad.

It's pretty exciting that nobody can really pick a stand out team in A Turf this year. Competitve leagues are always good.

Terry_Tibbs;406787 said:
It's pretty exciting that nobody can really pick a stand out team in A Turf this year. Competitve leagues are always good.

I feel the standard of A Turf has dropped off. What do you think of that? I feel some of the teams of the last 5-10 years would dominate the league at the moment or am I misinformed??

Richo_Man;406788 said:
I feel the standard of A Turf has dropped off. What do you think of that? I feel some of the teams of the last 5-10 years would dominate the league at the moment or am I misinformed??

It's often something people say, that it wasn't as good as it was. Not just A Turf but all Cricket.

Generally I would say that a number of players give up sooner. Family pressures are increased in the modern day, and choose to not play, go on holidays, races etc.

Personally I think the standard is good enough. Barnies and Richmond Union dragged the league down last year, even though both beat Burwood. If those games were at Burwood instead of Dogpoo Park it would of been very different!

I agree though that there isn't a gun team like Donvale and Bulleen in 06/07, or St Kevs last year (Shame they didn't win the flag).

raging_jack;406763 said:
under 19s grand final was lost because of our captain elliot forbes he single handedly brought our team down

lets be honest here, do rangers have any useful talents?

indignant_toad;406743 said:
I refuse to play games on synthetic. I'm sure alot of other pace bowlers would agree with me that its dangerous. So Dean3, maybe you should open your own thread and see if you can get 4000 views in 3 days. Goodluck champ!

Plenty of good quicks playing synthetic cricket, but, yeah, it isn't for softies.

Then again, you wouldn't know because you're not interested in half the ECA competition, which this thread is named after. So sorry for daring to raise the synth comp with the turf snobs. Seeya "champ."

Dean3;406807 said:
Plenty of good quicks playing synthetic cricket, but, yeah, it isn't for softies.

Then again, you wouldn't know because you're not interested in half the ECA competition, which this thread is named after. So sorry for daring to raise the synth comp with the turf snobs. Seeya "champ."

Is Ferndale the best synthetic ground?

This year, North Balwyn will go out to try to continue its domination of ECA junior cricket.

I believe North Balwyn didn't win a junior premiership last season..... clearly dominated. The juniors are getting weaker and weaker. Not what they used to be Toad

indignant_toad;406764 said:
The competition was taken as a joke last year.
Howell tore a hamstring the week prior so couldn't play, Fahey had no sleep and was in a drunken stupour, 2 other key players couldn't play (wong and beetham).
The approach given last year was "experience for juniors looking to play turf cricket". Hopefully it impacted some of the players. This year, North Balwyn will go out to try to continue its domination of ECA junior cricket.
In fairness to Boronia they were far more committed, didn't play great cricket though.

North Balwyn won 2 premierships both in under 12's. The older kids (future of the club) didn't perform to the standards of your older age groups of the last few years.

Your juniors are getting weaker and weaker and they will never hit the heights of the glory days of the last few years in the 14's and 16's

Toady - I had a bit of a chat with a few guys who play for Northamptonshire about Rob Keogh. One said that Keogh is pretty arrogant, looks good but doesn't score many runs. That bloke is a bit bitter about County Cricket though.

I think he's a pretty steady signing. Has shown talent in Northants 2's Cricket and done pretty well in the Northamptonshire Premier this year. He has the potential to score runs in Dunstan, but the big test for young English players is always when an Australian is there calling you a virgin!

You either thrive on it or you don't!

Terry_Tibbs;406829 said:
Toady - I had a bit of a chat with a few guys who play for Northamptonshire about Rob Keogh. One said that Keogh is pretty arrogant, looks good but doesn't score many runs. That bloke is a bit bitter about County Cricket though.

I think he's a pretty steady signing. Has shown talent in Northants 2's Cricket and done pretty well in the Northamptonshire Premier this year. He has the potential to score runs in Dunstan, but the big test for young English players is always when an Australian is there calling you a virgin!

You either thrive on it or you don't!

Your never wrong terry.

The problem with blokes like Keogh is that he will come to this competition he will think that everything will come just happen because he play county 2's. He will be rather surprised of the standard of the competition, there are a lot of good players walking around at dunstan.

I have seen it all before and the good teams will crush him mentally and if he doesn't perform, a lot of people down at North Balwyn will be questioning him. Lets see if he has the ticker if it goes wrong for him. Especially playing for a struggling club like North Balwyn. You saw Cope struggle last year at donvale, only 250 runs. He came here with a lot of expectation and failed under pressure (by his stats in the winter you need to cross your fingers and hope cope get pasts 10, only passed 10 3 times in the winter). But only time will tell if he has it in him and the same as Cope, if they can rise to the occasion and help North Balwyn survive dunstan. Don't hold your breath boys.

Stay tuned

fuzzbungle;406827 said:
New topic - Worst bloke/s in the competition. Thoughts
Worst blokes - Grubich - always grumpy, actually all of Glen Iris, J and D Day, Sturgess and their keeper (who bats at 11 and can't keep), Male - arrogant turd who is overrated, Saker, Keogh from North Balwyn - the one with missing digits...

Could develop quite a long list in no time!

Mulgrave Sisters;406831 said:
Worst blokes - Grubich - always grumpy, actually all of Glen Iris, J and D Day, Sturgess and their keeper (who bats at 11 and can't keep), Male - arrogant turd who is overrated, Saker, Keogh from North Balwyn - the one with missing digits...

Could develop quite a long list in no time!

Grubich agreed, the Day bros, John Howell, Hargreaves

I disagree with Male and Sturgess they are both great lads who doesn't mind to put their drinking shoes on.

fuzzbungle;406832 said:
Grubich agreed, the Day bros, Keogh, John Howell

I disagree with Male and Sturgess they are both great lads who doesn't mind to put their drinking shoes on.
There is only 1 player I would have a beer with from Deepdene and that is "Princess" (Strempl)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back