Eca 2011/2012

Bet Deepdene are shaking in their boots with the prospect of playing Ashy in the SF. If this game was played in any other month of the year, I would tip Deepdene, but unfortunately for the Bears, the SF is played in MARCH, which spells disaster for the top placed side. Is it true the Bears have lost their last six SF games?? No pressure!!
Let the (mind) games begin....

At the other end of the scale, will be interesting to see what becomes of Bulleen now they are en route to A Turf - will the Nth Melb clan Davidson, Porter, Judd et al stick around, if not they could be destined for a long spell in the 2nd Division

Bet Deepdene are shaking in their boots with the prospect of playing Ashy in the SF. If this game was played in any other month of the year, I would tip Deepdene, but unfortunately for the Bears, the SF is played in MARCH, which spells disaster for the top placed side. Is it true the Bears have lost their last six SF games?? No pressure!!

Not sure how many SF losses it is, but I think that record is a bit deceiving. They would have lost 2-3 times against a Mulgrave side that was close to invincible, winning 5 straight premierships and going down as one of the great ECA sides to take the field.

Their much publicised defeat was to Hawthorn when they had them down for the count and didnt deliver the knock out blow. However they showed no ill effects the next year when they had Mulgrave on the ropes at about 8/70 at tea on the first day and the next 2 and a half days were washed out. They were subsequently eliminated due to finishing lower.

So really it is only the Hawthorn semi where they haven't won a game that they were expected to, or should have won.

Time will tell. The title is certainly up for grabs and it is hard to predict a certain winner with too much confidence!!

so who will come up from A turf?
Nth Balwyn only passed Heathmont 9 down 2 matches ago and then lost on first day of last round against lowly Mazenod - is their form on the slide? Surrey Hills vs Burwood- both been convincing winners last couple of rounds- Surreys batting very strong of late - but could this have an adverse effect if early wickets lost as middle/bottom order have had very little time in the middle? Burwood on the other hand bowling seems to be their stronger suit with Radloff,Jewitt, Birt & Co. Will be a very ineteresting game.

so who will come up from A turf?
Nth Balwyn only passed Heathmont 9 down 2 matches ago and then lost on first day of last round against lowly Mazenod - is their form on the slide? Surrey Hills vs Burwood- both been convincing winners last couple of rounds- Surreys batting very strong of late - but could this have an adverse effect if early wickets lost as middle/bottom order have had very little time in the middle? Burwood on the other hand bowling seems to be their stronger suit with Radloff,Jewitt, Birt & Co. Will be a very ineteresting game.
North Balwyn and Surrey are the hot favourites. Surrey have 2 or 3 blokes that have all made over 400 runs, and one of them has made 600+. Burwood have a couple of solid bats too, so it should be a good game!

At the other end of the scale, will be interesting to see what becomes of Bulleen now they are en route to A Turf - will the Nth Melb clan Davidson, Porter, Judd et al stick around, if not they could be destined for a long spell in the 2nd Division
And their 2's finished bottom in B Turf as well!! The joys of not having a strong junior platform!!

Not sure how many SF losses it is, but I think that record is a bit deceiving. They would have lost 2-3 times against a Mulgrave side that was close to invincible, winning 5 straight premierships and going down as one of the great ECA sides to take the field.

Their much publicised defeat was to Hawthorn when they had them down for the count and didnt deliver the knock out blow. However they showed no ill effects the next year when they had Mulgrave on the ropes at about 8/70 at tea on the first day and the next 2 and a half days were washed out. They were subsequently eliminated due to finishing lower.

So really it is only the Hawthorn semi where they haven't won a game that they were expected to, or should have won.

Time will tell. The title is certainly up for grabs and it is hard to predict a certain winner with too much confidence!!

Deepdene's record in SF is not deceiving, they simply have not been able to get the job done when it matters, regardless of who they have played. And their loss to Hawthorn was not a case of not being able to deliver the knockout blow, that Luke Sturgess dropped a sitter to win them the game and COST them a GF berth and prob a flag. Given he is not in their current side places them in a much better position to have a decent crack at it. Time will tell, my money is on Ashy, big game players who know how to win BIG games, have a winning culture, unlike the bears.

Deepdene's record in SF is not deceiving, they simply have not been able to get the job done when it matters, regardless of who they have played. And their loss to Hawthorn was not a case of not being able to deliver the knockout blow, that Luke Sturgess dropped a sitter to win them the game and COST them a GF berth and prob a flag. Given he is not in their current side places them in a much better position to have a decent crack at it. Time will tell, my money is on Ashy, big game players who know how to win BIG games, have a winning culture, unlike the bears.
Agree, not deceiving at all, if you don't play in the grand final, then you have OBVIOUSLY not won the semi, I think its pretty clear cut.

Spot on RE the drop catch also 4X, more of a choke than "not being able to deliver the knockout blow"

Let's hope for their sake, that they come to play this weekend and don't think too much about the 340+ they conceded to Ashburton during the year at this very ground!

My tips would be Spud will stay on and help coach, possibly play, Judd will retire as he wasn't meant to play much this year anyway, Porter will find a Dunstan Club, so first in best dressed! Tsonis will keep playing and coaching, Tucket will go around again.

They will get back up I think, too much talent not to.

So, the home and away season has ended and everyone has mixed opinions about certain sides. Two massive games this weekend and I believe the four are well deserved with the exception of maybe Hawthorn who looked good enough all year only to fall at the final hurdle. For what is is worth, here is my take on the two games and my picks:

Glen Iris v St Kevins

Glen Iris : Strong performance again this year with both bat and ball. Only side to take over 100 wickets and have the highest percentage in the 4. GI's have been firing after Christmas and look like they have the ability to beat anyone. Definitely one of the best fielding sides in the comp but have been suspect in previous years under pressure. Can this side go all the way.

St Kevins: Staved off relegation last year and have been in the top few all year. They ooze class with a few quality players and are extremely well drilled. If Fernon, Baker or Crawford fire they can be unstoppable.

Pick : I think this will be a great game and looking at My Cricket they match up pretty well. Think GI's at home could be a little too tough though with the likes of Armstong, Jamieson, Stafford and Purcell.

Odds : Glen Iris $1.22 St Kevins : $1.45

Deepdene v Ashburton

Deepdene: Doubted at the mid year pint have come home as well as anyone. An extremely potent batting attack that can score heavily and one of the strongest bowling attacks with Hoare, Pasons and big Dino make them a strong force. Think there lack of a spinner could one day bite them but they would have to go into the game with massive confidence after a great year.

Ashburton : Some would say lucky to make it but they have been amazingly good since the 3rd round. Cox, Swift and co can beat anyone and deserve their place. Would take massive heart in their performance against Deepdene earlier this year.

Pick: Although Deepdene are favourites I have a feeling about Ashy. They are well experienced and perform on the big occasion.

Odds : Deepdene $1.10 Ashburton $1.90

So, the home and away season has ended and everyone has mixed opinions about certain sides. Two massive games this weekend and I believe the four are well deserved with the exception of maybe Hawthorn who looked good enough all year only to fall at the final hurdle. For what is is worth, here is my take on the two games and my picks:

Glen Iris v St Kevins

Glen Iris : Strong performance again this year with both bat and ball. Only side to take over 100 wickets and have the highest percentage in the 4. GI's have been firing after Christmas and look like they have the ability to beat anyone. Definitely one of the best fielding sides in the comp but have been suspect in previous years under pressure. Can this side go all the way.

St Kevins: Staved off relegation last year and have been in the top few all year. They ooze class with a few quality players and are extremely well drilled. If Fernon, Baker or Crawford fire they can be unstoppable.

Pick : I think this will be a great game and looking at My Cricket they match up pretty well. Think GI's at home could be a little too tough though with the likes of Armstong, Jamieson, Stafford and Purcell.

Odds : Glen Iris $1.22 St Kevins : $1.45

Deepdene v Ashburton

Deepdene: Doubted at the mid year pint have come home as well as anyone. An extremely potent batting attack that can score heavily and one of the strongest bowling attacks with Hoare, Pasons and big Dino make them a strong force. Think there lack of a spinner could one day bite them but they would have to go into the game with massive confidence after a great year.

Ashburton : Some would say lucky to make it but they have been amazingly good since the 3rd round. Cox, Swift and co can beat anyone and deserve their place. Would take massive heart in their performance against Deepdene earlier this year.

Pick: Although Deepdene are favourites I have a feeling about Ashy. They are well experienced and perform on the big occasion.

Odds : Deepdene $1.10 Ashburton $1.90

Damian,
I wouldn't be having a bet with you. In a 2 horse race, you cannot offer $1.22 and $1.45. Similarly, if Deepdene are $1.10, Ashburton cannot be $1.90. Clearly not a punter

Damian,
I wouldn't be having a bet with you. In a 2 horse race, you cannot offer $1.22 and $1.45. Similarly, if Deepdene are $1.10, Ashburton cannot be $1.90. Clearly not a punter
I too would not be wasting my hard earned with you.

Also, by opening Deepdene up at $1.10 in a 2 horse race, you are saying that Ashy cannot win, which is amazing considering they won it last year from the same position.

I am tipping Damian to be a Deepdene member if he is giving the Bears similar odds to what Black Caviar recieves who has 20 races under her belt. I didn't know Deepdene had 20 Dunstan Flags in the cabinet?

Damian's spelling and grammar is far too good to be someone from Glen Iris.
Here here.

I do find it quite interesting that only 2 teams from last years finals series are in the 4 again.

What odds would you get if you said that Bulleen would be relegated after last years grand final?

Here here.

I do find it quite interesting that only 2 teams from last years finals series are in the 4 again.

What odds would you get if you said that Bulleen would be relegated after last years grand final?
I would personally like to apologise to Tiiimmmeeee who was rubbished by many on this forum (including me) for tipping Bulleen to get relegated. Turns out he is a genius.

http://www.bigcricket.com/community/threads/eastern-cricket-association-2010-11-part-2.57792/page-32

Back