Eca

every ground I go past has a very green wicket that has had no preparation do at all. With the forecast being wet for 2 days we may not get on. I am interested in the list of new players in Dunstan and A turf. All quiet on the site. Maybe now footy is finished we may hear more.

Has been very quiet on here this year... Any early predictions?

Top 2:
Deepdene
Bulleen
I think the bottom 2 spots in the top 4 are wide open. I expect the middle of the table to be jam packed

Relegation
Burwood
Marcellin

A-Turf Premier: Glen Iris

Round 1 winners:
Mully vs MA
NB vs Bulleen
Heathmont
vs Marc
ED vs Ashy
Skevs vs Deepdene
Burwood vs Hawthorn

Has been very quiet on here this year... Any early predictions?

Top 2:
Deepdene
Bulleen
I think the bottom 2 spots in the top 4 are wide open. I expect the middle of the table to be jam packed

Relegation
Burwood
Marcellin

A-Turf Premier: Glen Iris

Round 1 winners:
Mully vs MA
NB vs Bulleen
Heathmont
vs Marc
ED vs Ashy
Skevs vs Deepdene
Burwood vs Hawthorn

Top 4 Dunstan:
Bulleen
Deepdene
Hawthorn
North Balwyn

Relegation:
Burwood
East Donny

Rd 1:
Mully
Bulleen
Heathmont
Ashy
Deepdene
Hawthorn

Was looking forward to seeing some action this weekend - very low key off season and would have been a chance to see who are the new faces in Dunstan (besides O'Shea), teams keeping a low profile or is it just because our good friends at Glen Iris have left us?

Another mind boggling decision by the ECA turf committee, first site of rain in the 10 days leading up to round 1 and they quickly call it off. One would suggest they never really intended to have the game on! Little bit of water on a Tuesday would usually be OK for a wicket. Perfect conditions on Saturday - any teams planning a practice match on their wicket?

On field - how does anyone beat Deepdene? From all reports big numbers at training and the prodigal son returns - will be very strong. We know what we will get from the older Bulleen, if they start the season OK - will be tough to beat back half of season.

Will tip Hawthorn to be 3-5th all season. Hopefully Tonguey has some support and can make that step in to finals.

I will tip North Balwyn to be the sliders and sit mid pack most of the season.

Round 1 winners:
Mully vs MA - will be interesting to see how these two go, tipping one of them to take a spot in the finals.
NB vs Bulleen - if Bulleen win, top 2 spot on radar.
Heathmont vs Marc - early relegation battle if you look at some of the tipsters above, i will hold judgement and see who they have picked up!
ED vs Ashy - two strong clubs with very little fanfare in offseason, my mail says one of these could be a surprise packet this season!
Skevs vs Deepdene - Deepdene look too strong for the comp this season. Fernon to carry Skevs batting again?
Burwood vs Hawthorn - Let's see who is supporting Tongue!

B Braemar ,

I'm of the opinion that many of the grounds won't be ready even if we had sunshine and light winds all week. I don't think a shower on Tuesday made the decision. At this stage we all still get the same amount of games and we get an extra week to practice. Win/win.

Why wouldn't they be ready - couldn't have asked for better conditions up until that Tuesday.

From Monday the week before 22, 25, 25, 23, 17, 22, 26 and then 27! On average 6 degrees warmer than Melbourne September averages!! With plenty of sunshine and very little rain. Throw in to that.. Tuesday was actually 24 (6 above average again) before the change. Could not have asked for better conditions to get a ground ready.

Funny how during the year, if a club does everything it can to get a pitch ready and it doesn't fit the committee's agenda we hear of them being questioned. Yet when it comes to this, it really does appear the ECA or the turf committee never fully intended to play this week. This decision was made some time ago, and the first sight of rain resulted in a shotgun announcement.

If you count sitting in the pub on a perfect Saturday afternoon for a cricket a win... actually wait I agree with you WIN/WIN, i would have been doing that anyway!

I was having a chat to a chap who was telling me that most of the grounds in a certain council were well behind where they needed to be. I don't know how my ground would have fared. I'll find out tonight.

I was having a chat to a chap who was telling me that most of the grounds in a certain council were well behind where they needed to be. I don't know how my ground would have fared. I'll find out tonight.
Boorondara were reluctant to get wickets ready. They are really hoping the turf wickets get dug up and replaced with syntho

Boorondara were reluctant to get wickets ready. They are really hoping the turf wickets get dug up and replaced with syntho
That would be disastrous. The almighty dollar at play again? Perhaps the restructuring of turf cricket as per Cricket Victoria's plan would help re funding flowing down to protect turf at a suburban level.

It would be great if cricket could get half the crowds of local footy.

So in summary, because a certain council don't like turf cricket - turf committee cancels round? Sounds like that is in the best interests of the game..

Any practice games or are we all in the pub for the day?

Supercool in the turnbull, will pay for your parma chunky!

So in summary, because a certain council don't like turf cricket - turf committee cancels round? Sounds like that is in the best interests of the game..

Any practice games or are we all in the pub for the day?

Supercool in the turnbull, will pay for your parma chunky!
@breamar your climbing into the turf committee pretty hard. But I have it on good authority they had little choice. Grounds simply weren't ready and that's a council issue. What were they to do penalise half the comp and have half the teams play this week and the other half wait for a one dayer and therefore season starts off compromised.
Both boorondara and Whitehorse the culprits. Maybe if we feel so passionate about it we should all be writing in to these councils. ?

Both boorondara and Whitehorse the culprits. Maybe if we feel so passionate about it we should all be writing in to these councils. ?

It would be good to have Councils keen on Turf cricket. Basically you need a cricket player/ former cricket player on the council to get anywhere with them. Writing in won't do much.

Cricket Vic are running grants at the moment. Worth looking into if it can help improve the facilities and perhaps the standard of play.

Back