Elbowing Watson 'wasn't deliberate' - Gambhir

BigCricket

BigCricket Administrator
Staff member
Elbowing Watson 'wasn't deliberate' - Gambhir

Gautam Gambhir has said he accidentally elbowed the bowler Shane Watson in the chest during a tense exchange on the first day of the third Test in Delhi.

More...

Re: Elbowing Watson 'wasn't deliberate' - Gambhir

He should have never hit shane in the guts with the elbow but he will only get half of his match fees taken off him

You could tell that he made a line for Watson, he also had a go at Katich. THe bloke has some serious anger issues

Whilst there is little excuse for contact to be made, we often only ever see the final outcome and not what has gone on prior to that.

I'm sure it was a case of handbags but then again Gambhir could have handled it better.

In the second incident, Katich clearly got in his way. You could see that he was trying to block Gambhir's path. It was his fault he could have just apologised and got on with the game but he had a go at Gambhir. I can't see how you can blame Gambhir for that incident. The first incident was clearly provoked by Watson but Gambhir did the wrong thing and should be suitably punished for it.

AB;276703 said:
In the second incident, Katich clearly got in his way. You could see that he was trying to block Gambhir's path. It was his fault he could have just apologised and got on with the game but he had a go at Gambhir. I can't see how you can blame Gambhir for that incident. The first incident was clearly provoked by Watson but Gambhir did the wrong thing and should be suitably punished for it.
Actually Gambhir was blocking the bowler(which was Katich).
No it was Gambhir's fault for putting his elbow up and telling watson to get out of the way.
That's what happened mate. You didn't see it.

the only bad thing about the whole thing is that Gambhir didn't put his elbow through Watsons smug little face.

Interesting to see two different point of views, one from an Indian (AB) and one from an Australian (schwab2clarkson) and very unsurprisingly, they don't seem to agree with each other. From a neutral point of view, I think there was a lot of provoking from Australia's point of view throughout the match (maybe a desperate act to try to upset the batsman to get a wicket cheaply) but the way the Indians replied to that wasn't exactly necessary either. I think there was a bit of both in there.

once again the sooky little indians know they have ICC in their palms and they will get away with stuff all as punishment. Gambir clearly meant it and anyone who thinks otherwise is an absolute blind fool. and if he gets punished the indians will carry on until they get their way as usual. watson has already een fined but not gambir, they want to look at the evidence again, yeah right, ya mean figure out how to not upset the little sooky turds.:mad:

You may be right but as things stand this is the deal:

Gambhir, however, pleaded guilty to the charge and he could face a ban of one Test.

I don't think he'll get a ban but he should receive a fine in the region of 50% of his match fee, compared to the 10% fine that Watson was hit with.

Both players were niggling each other but they had the grace to shake hands as they walked off the pitch, both will now in all likihood get punished, so as far as I see it, the matter is at an end.

Of course, I'm sure that less enlightened fans of both countries will seek to keep it going...

Always need to be careful when judging things like this because we can only see the vision and don't know exactly what has happened , but that is all we have to go on . Lets face it there is niggle form both sides in this and anyone who doesn't or can't see that is kidding themselves or just biased ....

10% match fine is appropriate for Watson , from the vision he clearly made no effort to get out the way , no apology and no doubt would have said a word or two .

Gambir had two choices , just run around him like the majority of bats would have done or make contact that was just not needed . He chose the latter and even raised his elbow which is clear to see . Match ban is way over the top but he should fined heavily . I agree that 50% would be appropriate .

I haven't seen the second incident .

Best way to judge these things from a supporters perspective is to ask yourself what your thoughts would be if the shoe was on the other foot ie Hayden raising and elbow and making contact with Khan/Sharma .....

henry;276585 said:
He should have never hit shane in the guts with the elbow but he will only get half of his match fees taken off him

He deserves to get suspended for a test, in not syaing that cause he made a double hundred, i'm saying that cause he deservfes it, Cricket isn't a contact sport. And for him to do that to shane i think he deserves to get what he deserves. And you cant say it was an accident, he hit him, you cant say it wasnt deliberate

There's no denying it was deliberate, but really- I've seen harder hits in a ping pong game than that one!

If anything Watson deserved it for carrying on like a goose the whole game, when he was getting tonked all over the field! ;)

Porka;276910 said:
He deserves to get suspended for a test, in not syaing that cause he made a double hundred, i'm saying that cause he deservfes it, Cricket isn't a contact sport. And for him to do that to shane i think he deserves to get what he deserves. And you cant say it was an accident, he hit him, you cant say it wasnt deliberate

Really? ;)

Watson carried on like a goose, not the smartest thing to do when your getting hammered. However Gambhir should not of reacted by elbowing him, in that Watson's twice his size. I would suggest Watson shut up, and Gambhir take some anger management classes, I think Vermulen from the old Zimbabwe might share :)

The second incident with Katich, Gambhir is in the clear, the batsmen owns the pitch after the bowler has delivered the bowl, Katich has to move out of the way, not stand in Gambhir's way. I suggest Katich learn to bowl better since he is obviously going to be used in further test matches as a major spinner.

On another note, I want to see Hayden bowl having never seen it :p

Watson should have got out of the batsman way, he wasnt involved in the play at the time so had no reason to stand in the path of the running batsman acting like a dickhead

eddiesmith;276976 said:
Watson should have got out of the batsman way, he wasnt involved in the play at the time so had no reason to stand in the path of the running batsman acting like a d*******

Don't know if you can swear on here, edit it just in case. He didn't need to start a verbal battle, but I've always been taught hit only after the other guy hits you ~its self defence then, he didn't touch Gambhir so, Gambhir had no reason to hit him. I say he should be punished but not with a ban.

To put this to bed somewhat, Gambhir will miss the fourth Test after recieving a one match ban, although he will appeal this.

mas cambios;277122 said:
To put this to bed somewhat, Gambhir will miss the fourth Test after recieving a one match ban, although he will appeal this.

I will be offering very short odds that he is going to be playing the 4th test either the hearing will be delayed because the tests are back to back or the BCCI employ 10 defense lawyers and get him off this charge

mas cambios;277122 said:

u gotta be kidding me...... if it was an aussie, series over, the indians would have packed up and gone home. nothin but sooks, funny how it works.

we must all be kind:rolleyes:

D.K;277134 said:
I will be offering very short odds that he is going to be playing the 4th test either the hearing will be delayed because the tests are back to back or the BCCI employ 10 defense lawyers and get him off this charge

what a suprise:eek:
indians all live in glass houses

Back