Elbowing Watson 'wasn't deliberate' - Gambhir

Re: Elbowing Watson 'wasn't deliberate' - Gambhir

I had the good fortune of seeing that incident "LIVE" on TV.
Shane was provoking Gambhir but Gambhir did a stupid thing of deliberately elbowing him which was clearly visible..that was stupid thing to do...
Sledging has unfortunately part and parcel of modern day cricket and Australia are the flag bearers for it...
Being a opening batsmen and scoring very well....it was bound that "Mental Disintegration"(as put by Steve Waugh) sessions were bound to happen...gambhir should have kept quiet and carried on scoring without bothering at all...
Sledging happens at our club level than at international level it has to happen...
Maturity comes from your within and gambhir has been at the wrong end for this..even last year he got into a verbal debate with Shahid afridi in a ODI...
Someone should take charge(mostly the captain and coach) and pull him up very harshly...
He has been banned for one test and India will miss him in Nagpur as he is in prime form.
If some sledges u then u sledges him back with your performance and not with Ur acid tongue....
The player who is able to understand and work on it accordingly that player goes greater heights...

Re: Elbowing Watson 'wasn't deliberate' - Gambhir

Virendersingh.berthwal;278185 said:
Sledging has unfortunately part and parcel of modern day cricket and Australia are the flag bearers for it...

While I agree with most of what you say i cannot agree at all with the above comment , maybe it reads different to how you meant it too .

Sledging has been happening since the days of WG Grace and beyond and to say that Australia are the flag bearers for it or it has become part of the modern game is well off the mark . Wether it is called sledging , gamesmanship or mental disentergration it has been going on since the game began . The only thing was Australia were the first side to openly admit under Steve Waugh to using it ....

I have seen numerous series over the past 10 years which haven't featured Australia which have been particularly nasty , difference is that Australia was the best at it and the best team as well so were possible rightly so seen as bullies in world cricket .

Was everyone critical of Australia sledging when we were weak in the 80's and generally being thrashed by England , West Indies etc ???
When the wheel turns as it will or has already begun to happen will the new benchmark team in the world be painted with the same brush ?

Gambir was sucked in to retaliating no doubt about it by a guy who has a reputation for being a mouth ....and who had minimal if little impact with the ball . In the end he the fool for responding .... he should of just gone about his business as he had and happily pointed to the scoreboard after the days play .

Back