England announce test squad to tour India

Wolf

England announce test squad to tour India

Kevin Pietersen (capt), Alastair Cook, Andrew Strauss, Ian Bell, Paul Collingwood, Andrew Flintoff, Tim Ambrose (wk), Matt Prior (wk), Stuart Broad, Steve Harmison, James Anderson, Monty Panesar, Ryan Sidebottom, Owais Shah, Graeme Swann.

Any thoughts? No real surprises tbh.

Re: England announce test squad to tour India

Hows about Ravi Bopara being left out. He was in the 13 for the S.A. Test but was left out of this squad. And why do they need to bring two wicket keepers over, seems to be a bit of overkill. Ambrose will probably just be a spectator for the tour

jimmy33;268811 said:
Hows about Ravi Bopara being left out. He was in the 13 for the S.A. Test but was left out of this squad. And why do they need to bring two wicket keepers over, seems to be a bit of overkill. Ambrose will probably just be a spectator for the tour

First class performances, plus it is an overseas tour. Coverage for both keeper and batsman injuries

D.K;268813 said:
First class performances, plus it is an overseas tour. Coverage for both keeper and batsman injuries

I guess, but Bopara was named Young Player of the Year, so he is a good player, and can bowl handy mediums. But Shah did play well in the ODI's and had a better Test Debut.

The one I don't get is bringing over two keepers. I mean, how difficult is it to bring another keeper over should Prior get injured?

jimmy33;268919 said:
I guess, but Bopara was named Young Player of the Year, so he is a good player, and can bowl handy mediums. But Shah did play well in the ODI's and had a better Test Debut.

The one I don't get is bringing over two keepers. I mean, how difficult is it to bring another keeper over should Prior get injured?

You give the other keeper (who maybe inexperienced at international level) an experience of travelling with the touring side, lapping up the cultural side of things and getting to practice in another country to improve their cricket. Plus if say Prior did get injured you are bringing over a player that probably wouldn't have had much training as it is at the end of the english summer which is a huge risk.

Whilst every1 is talkin about keepers, where is Chris Read. Once again he has a CC average of over 40. Everyone knows he is the best keeper in the country and to be fair in the CC is very consistant with the bat. Matt Prior has come back a better keeper and deserves his chance to cement No1 spot for himself BUT Ambrose is no England keeper. Read should have been taken on the tour as a backup to Prior due to all his hard work to improve his batting like prior!!!

scrumpy084;268958 said:
Whilst every1 is talkin about keepers, where is Chris Read. Once again he has a CC average of over 40. Everyone knows he is the best keeper in the country and to be fair in the CC is very consistant with the bat. Matt Prior has come back a better keeper and deserves his chance to cement No1 spot for himself BUT Ambrose is no England keeper. Read should have been taken on the tour as a backup to Prior due to all his hard work to improve his batting like prior!!!

Scrumpy, perhaps the selectors were worried about his past failures? Age? (not 100% sure but I think I read that he was a little older then everyone thinks 30s?)

Prior will be there to keep in both games so I wouldn't worry about seeing any of Ambrose

True he has had past failures but it is the same for prior and foster! Read has been mucked around the most out of all the keepers and has never been given the same chances such as Jones,Prior,Ambrose. His age shouldn't matter as gilchrist was picked up late and look at the magic he performed for the side. Don't get me wrong i'm not sayin Read will be a Gilchrist but give the lad a chance!! But Prior has his now and gd luck to him for the sake of the national team.

Read is a hack, only slightly better than Ambrose who we hopefully wont see again after the winter tours

No surprises there at all for me. Will one of Prior or Ambrose finally cement a place as a long-term keeper for England that they have been crying out for since Alec Stewart?

Prior is getting on in age but has improved his batting, glove work I feel is still very suspect. But then again Alec Stewart didn't have the best glovework.

I think Prior deserves a decent run for England. It always seems to be Keepers/bowlers who get changed around on form basis but batsmen keep their place even when form is lacking. I hope this team is given a decent run of things.

It is confirmed by ECB that England will be playing the Test Series in India.
First test in Chennai and second in Mohali.

Putting batting aside, Read is the best keeper I have ever seen. He looks like he was born to catch cricket balls, while Prior/Ambrose/G.Jones may as well have oven mitts or garbage pales strapped to their hands.

At least England selectors are consistent in not picking the best man for the job though (See: Jack Russell )

a for effort;290835 said:
Putting batting aside, Read is the best keeper I have ever seen. He looks like he was born to catch cricket balls, while Prior/Ambrose/G.Jones may as well have oven mitts or garbage pales strapped to their hands.

At least England selectors are consistent in not picking the best man for the job though (See: Jack Russell )

Bring back the Mustard!

I have just read on T.V that England team will donate their match fees to the Mumbai blast affected people.

They are very nice and kind.

If thats the case thats a lovely gesture.

On the squad I have difficulty in understanding why Rashid is not available to play. 65 FC wickets last season and he can bat. Only having 2 spinners in the squad in the first place was a little odd (given that 2 will play in at least one test meaning no competition).

Back