England in New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: England in New Zealand

He's a good tool for marketing, as you said, he has a cult following and I think he's good enough to be on the fringes of the team but he's not developed (so far) as he might have.

He just seems to lose his head every 3 or 4 games, which then sets him back. He has time on his side, and I do think he can become a decent international bowler.

England named an unchanged side, with a strong batting line-up, and spinner Graeme Swann again overlooked.

Daniel Flynn was called in for his one-day debut, out-of-form Peter Fulton making way, while Jeetan Patel earns a recall at the expense of Iain O'Brien.

Interesting there, I thought Swann may have come back in.

Wright, Cook, KP and Dimi batted well but the bowlers were majorly ineffective again. Sidey did well to take 2 in an over, but other than that was fairly dissapointing. Jimmy was good when he pitched it up, but he kept banging it in, and deserved to get carted by McCullum. We've been outplayed in the series tbh, just hope we perform in the tests now.

McCullum has been on fire throughout the series. I didn't expect New Zealand to win the series as comprehensively as they did. I think they'll struggle in the tests but I am hoping its a competitive series.

Mccullum still doenst have a ODI hundred to his name. He keeps getting out in 70's and 80's. But thats not a bad thing. He has the talent but needs to be more consistent. The average is pretty low. IMO he has the talent to average around 35 in OD cricket.

One of the better warm up games for England but it leaves a number of questions.

The biggest is still that of who will be test keeper? Neither candidates shone during the game so it's down to the final game.

Sidebottom is injured (not sure for how long though) and it seems to be between Strauss and Shah for a batting place.

I also have to ask the worth of playing Swann if he's not going to bowl?

Swann's a jack of all trades but an expert at none. Something England like.

Strauss should play ahead of Shah for me, i don't think Vaughan plays his best cricket as opener and is far better suited at 3. Strauss was in good form in NZ Domestic cricket, and i think he deserves another chance. I also think Strauss will enjoy the conditions in New Zealand, and enjoy the types of pitch, and also not having to face Bond first up will help him ease himself back into Test Cricket. My team for the first test would be:

Strauss
Cook
Vaughan
Pietersen
Collingwood
Bell
Ambrose
Hoggard
Harmison
Sidebottom/Anderson (depending on Sidey's injury)
Panesar

I guess you're going with Colly and KP to be the 5th bowler?

It looks like Ambrose will at least start the 1st test so you're spot on there. I'd have to say that given the squad you've picked the team I pretty much would have.

King Pietersen said:
Swann's a jack of all trades but an expert at none. Something England like.

Strauss should play ahead of Shah for me, i don't think Vaughan plays his best cricket as opener and is far better suited at 3. Strauss was in good form in NZ Domestic cricket, and i think he deserves another chance. I also think Strauss will enjoy the conditions in New Zealand, and enjoy the types of pitch, and also not having to face Bond first up will help him ease himself back into Test Cricket. My team for the first test would be:

Strauss
Cook
Vaughan
Pietersen
Collingwood
Bell
Ambrose
Hoggard
Harmison
Sidebottom/Anderson (depending on Sidey's injury)
Panesar

I'd go with that but have Mustard in, you can get away with having slip captaincy but in my opnion we need to have one keeper.Mustard hasn't done anyhthing wrong behind the stumps and should be picked on that alone.It's about time England just went with the best keeper they have.

That would be the best way forward and would give Mustard confidence as he'd know that he would be having a run in the team. The problem is that at the moment we seem to have slipped into the old ways of chopping and changing after one bad game.

I'm happy with that team and but please god don't let hoggard bat at 8.

They have just named Andrew Strauss at numer 3 for the final warm up game. Surely bringing in Strauss should be as opener allowing Vaughan to bat at 3, don't rally see Strauss as a number 3.

Far from it; but he seems to have gained confidence and seems up for the challenge after a break. He really didn't seem up for it against India, and it showed in his performances. I think he'll come back with a bang and impress everyone once more, he's a fantastic player when at his best.

I also don't see the point of having Strauss at 3, he's an opening batsman so should be at the top of the order. Michael Vaughan is a proven number 3 and plays his best cricket at number 3. Cook and Strauss should be opening.

Well, the warm up has posed more questions than it answered. Strauss still can't score a run in an England shirt and is Ambrose really the answer to the keeping problem?

Give Strauss time to get back into the swing of things. He hasn't played a match longer than a one dayer since the Indian series. I'm almost certain he'll come good if given the oppurtunity to succeed. Neither Ambrose or Mustard are England's answer to the wicket-keeper problem; Steve Davies is, but England just don't seem to want to pick him atm.

I was debating Strauss last night and the point was raised that maybe England picked him at the right time in his career, he had a purple patch and played well for 2 years or so but he's out of it now and merely an average international player at best.

But surely if you have that purple patch, one that lasts a pretty long time aswell, you prove that you have the talent. Strauss has made big runs against the best sides in the world, and big runs aswell. He's just hit abit of a form blip, i'm almost certain that he'll get back to the player he once was, if given a decent run in the side. All he needs is confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back