England in New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: England in New Zealand

His first class record was far from stellar (yes, I know this isn't the be all and end all) and some part of me thinks he got lucky, in that he came into the team at the right time and with the right opening partner.

Last year I thought he should have been dropped sooner in order to get some time back at his county and in the middle, eventually this happened but he still didn't score big (average of 35 from 7 games, one ton). Then he goes to New Zealand to play one day cricket (his weakest trait) and apart from one big score which his average to 35, averaged less than 19 per innings.

Now, if he had gone over to NZ before Xmas, played in their first class game and scored runs it would have been far more beneficial than what he's done. Even going to SA for a few months would have been better for him.

Also, the blip in form has gone on for far too long to be just a blip, whether its the change in opening partner or a technical problem, he needs to sort it out and a test match isn't the place to do that. He's still young enough to have 4 years left in him at the highest level but he needs to regain his form of old and prove it wasn't a purple patch and his true ability showing through.

I'm not against him playing if he is the best we have but there comes a time when you have to say 'Sorry, old boy' and move on.

Saying all of the above I can now guarantee that he'll score a big 150 plus in the first test!

The problem with England at the moment is that too many players are in so so form. They have to pick the players who are in form to carry those having bad runs.

The keeper situation is a joke, I may have to stick my hat into the ring.

I bit of a better day for England, at least with the bat. Strauss got a few but there are concerns over Collingwood and Tremlett is out of the tour.

This game should end as a draw, can see England looking for a 250 lead then giving their bowlers a mini workout at the end of the game.

Strauss vs Shah is intruiging. Myself, I would be tempted to give Strauss a shot as he did so well against NZ last time and Shah hardly shook the world to bits in the one day series. Having said that, it's harsh on Shah this way around, especially as he went to Sri Lanka.

They may have the problem taken out of their hands as Collingwood has a small hamstring tear but should be fit. If he isn't then I would expect Shah and Strauss to play.

Yeah that's true, but Collingwood did bat with his niggle in the recent warm up game (even if it was for 4 balls :p)

4th Wicket down, Panesar squaring up a nervy looking How.

Advantage England, especially of they can sneak out 2 or 3 more before the end of play.

I am impressed with Jamie How, he seems like a more than decent batsman. New Zealand need more batsmen like him to fill in the void that will be created after the retirement of Fleming.

New Zealand have done fairly well today but I think the wicket of McCullum late in the day gives the advantage to England.

Looks pretty tight at the moment but Harmison is a bit worrying.

What do you guys think of Anderson playing for Auckland while the test is going on??

I think it's good that Anderson will play for Auckland as it will keep him closer to match fitness than staying on the sidelines.

Harmison has a lost it, I don't know what has gone on in his head but he really must be dropped, one good innings our of 8 isn't good enough and he looks a shadow of himself when at his best.

Taylor and Vettori are playing really well. New Zealand are running away with the game at the moment. England need to take some wickets pretty fast.

Another great day for England so far, Taylor gets his maiden century and Vettori is closing in on his 3rd.

Also, congrats to Vettori on scoring 2500 runs and 200 wickets! With a good series he may even make it 250 wickets.

Got them out for under the 500 and a solid reply so far. Vettori rattling through his overs without giving much away.

New Zealand got way too many runs. Its not so surprising because Vettori is just the kind of player that you can expect to frustrate the bowlers. He should be considered as a batsman.
Why the heck is Strauss batting at 4?

I had the feeling that if I posted something a wicket would fall and Cook duly obliged.

A long day of batting needed by England but sometimes I just think they're up for it, we need two players to settle in and stay there for the long haul.

Another sub par performance in an overseas opening test by the English. They need to sort things out and actually tour long enough to get a few more practice games in.

Boycott is correct in saying that the likes of Harmison and Hoggard are groove bolwers, they need overs under their belts in order to perform to their maximum. Otherwise we may as well not bother to play them.

As for Struass, then why? The geezer is past it, get him out of there and bring in a young talent (not Shah).

Though I know you directed this at JonAd, I really don't know who with have at the moment.

There are a few promising youngsters but I'm not sure if any of them are ready for the step up. We really need a couple of young pacemen to make themselves known - in particular someone who can bowl near 90mph and over on a consistent basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back