England in South Africa

Re: England in South Africa

Very poor bowling by Anderson, the sort of stupidity you expect of a Watson or Lee, bowling bouncers in the dark

6/76 at the close, 156 behind. Swann and Broad destroyed South Africa, taking three wickets a piece.

Only 70 overs bowled for the day as well, the start time definitely needs to be brought forward here, they would have lost about 70 overs for the entire game, we could have already seen a result right now.

Game appears all but England's. They should win by an innings here, not even some stubborn resistence from Boucher, Morkel and Harris can save them now unless they can perform an absolute miracle.

Feel a bit for South Africa, it is always hard coming out to bat after being in the field for 160+ overs no matter how flat the wicket is.

The overhead conditions also suited England to a tea, I was actually surprised they didn't go off for bad light earlier, and to England's credit they made full use of those favourable conditions.

It is inexplicable that 3 batsmen lose their wickets not playing a stroke, let alone 3 world class batsmen in Kallis, Duminy, and de Villers.

Swann is England's best bowler IMO and teams need to fight a way to combat him.

If South Africa go down 1-0 I'd expect a green top in Cape Town.

South Africa will come back hard.

Green top in Cape Town = No Paul Harris, De Wet in. Big plus for SA, England will have their work cut out with samesy attack bar Swann (who is quickly turning into a world class spinner)

BBC Sport - Cricket - England could be scarred - Graeme Smith
South Africa captain Graeme Smith says England could be mentally scarred following their second-innings collapse in the drawn first Test in Centurion.
"When you collapse like that it leaves a negative taste. We left them with things to think about," said Smith.
"We've probably given them a few question marks, especially over the batting line-up."
Smith has no such concerns about his own team, while admitting first Test debutant Friedel de Wet, who was largely responsible for England's late wobble, will be replaced by Dale Steyn if the experienced fast bowler recovers from a hamstring injury.

laffo

I think Graeme Smith coming out in the press saying how England are likely to collapse again, days before his own team collapses in spectacular fashion, deserves a hearty laffo. Especially given his history of backfiring media pot-shots.

a for effort;382571 said:
I think Graeme Smith coming out in the press saying how England are likely to collapse again, days before his own team collapses in spectacular fashion, deserves a hearty laffo. Especially given his history of backfiring media pot-shots.

As against to what? The cliches Strauss and Flower pump out at every press conference. It reminds me of Duncan Fletcher, who from what I have read, was always against coming out in the media and saying anything which might come back to bite him down the track. To me that makes the game boring and conservative.

Smith said some stuff in that quote but it is hardly earth-shattering, when Smith came out and said that stuff in the 05/06 season it actually gave the series a massive boost and got cricket all over the front and back page.

In this day and age we need that, especially with test cricket.

I enjoy it when the players come out and have a bit of needle or a bit of banter.

Ah yes, but what you are forgetting is that I didn't say anything at all about what England say in press conferences (which I agree is cliche-ridden crap), and that you've been spoken to about trying to bring a 'hurr England sucks' angle into every single discussion.

Though I'd probably take harmless cliches over Smith's jibes, less chance of them blowing up in your face, as happened to South Africa overnight.

Im not saying 'England sucks', in fact I have been very impressed with England's performance and have said so numerous times in this thread and others.

I was just making a point that it is childish to get stuck into a guy for giving his honest opinions, none of which are exactly earth-shattering and all of which are valid.

It would be boring if you never said anything because you were worried it will blow up in your face, it's akin to not talking to a girl because your worried she'll reject you.

But I didn't say 'Graeme Smith spoke his mind, hang him out to dry', I just thought it was funny that the exact thing he suggested may happen to England happened to his own side, and that it's not the first time that sort of brash comment has come unstuck for him. I really don't mind Smith, personally, I just think he would have learnt to hold his tongue a bit.

I disagree with what you are saying, as I said, I think people being honest ads a lot to the game but I think we should agree to disagree.

a for effort;382585 said:
But I didn't say 'Graeme Smith spoke his mind, hang him out to dry', I just thought it was funny that the exact thing he suggested may happen to England happened to his own side, and that it's not the first time that sort of brash comment has come unstuck for him. I really don't mind Smith, personally, I just think he would have learnt to hold his tongue a bit.

Hear, hear.

I too would have thought he'd matured after the dreadful mistakes he made early in his career. Smith seems to have tucked his ample jaw in a little from the days when he used to try to "get one over" what was then a very strong and "unintimidatable" Australian team.

LtD, I guess after some of the comments you have made about the outcome of this match/series, it's understandable you would be a strong advocate for one speaking one's mind, regardless of how many hats one might have to eat.

Sober Symonds;382628 said:
Hear, hear.

I too would have thought he'd matured after the dreadful mistakes he made early in his career. Smith seems to have tucked his ample jaw in a little from the days when he used to try to "get one over" what was then a very strong and "unintimidatable" Australian team.

LtD, I guess after some of the comments you have made about the outcome of this match/series, it's understandable you would be a strong advocate for one speaking one's mind, regardless of how many hats one might have to eat.

No not at all.

I just enjoy players being honest and having a bit of banter. Even so, what Smith said in that article cited earlier wasn't anything that really made me raise my eyebrows, it was really just run of the mill stuff to be honest.

Look, England won the game, they were impressive, but I still think SA will win the series 2-1. That SA team is undercooked, Steyn and Kallis are not 100% fit, and with Ntini all but retired there really isn't much firepower at the moment. But Kallis and Steyn will be better for the run and Cape Town is somewhat of a fortress for SA. I presume de Wet will come back in as well, once SA get an attack that somewhat resembles full fitness then they will be a different beast.

South Africa haven't lost at Cape Town to anyone but Australia for as long as I can remember (back to 1995). Both those losses to Australia was at the hands of the 2001/02 team and the 2005/06 team.

The last 3 times England have played at Cape Town they have been hammered as well.

South Africa will likely juice the wicket up a bit as well, or at least try and leave a bit more grass on it in order to negate Swann a bit.

England won, sure, they played well, but that South African team was operating at half-rat power.

They will hit back strongly.

We

Also, being 1-0 down will mean that SA will have to attack, while England will now subconciously start looking towards not just winning test matchs but drawing them to maintain their lead.

England, and lets be honest, benefitted from favourable conditions late on day 4 with heavy cloud, floodlights on, and a hint of drizzle. Im not convinced on the 4 bowlers England currently have and I belieft SA can still exploit that

LtD mate - England out played the Proteas and have made a strong impression on me for a series win. I agree with you on the favourable conditions but compare the performances and the difference in it and you would see that South Africa was a no show..

I am under the impression that to win test matches that you need your batsman to play the ball and make big scores. Cook and Bell were the supposed bunnies and hit back in impressive manner. There is absolutely no excuses to be made the Saffas have some big issues.

1. Prince is not an opener and Smith needs a proper player with him. Prince has a good record but Prince flashed at wide balls in both innings.
2. Smith made some questionable bowling changes -> you have Bell jumping around with Morne Morkel but then you change the attack an bowl Ntini.
3. Harris could completely outshown by a supposed tweaker in Swann but Swann was a major performer with bat and ball.
4. A decision needs to be made on Ntini. The lack of pace in his bowling can be seen by all and he is in no position to take wickets. I understand that he is an icon and has political implications but he is no longer the go to bowler for Smith.
5. Fitness of Kallis and Steyn is an indicator that there are no real players breaking down the door to play for the national side. However it cannot be used as an excuse .. I am still of the opinion that Steyn has an action issue -> why can he not swing anything except his bat currently?

I am not bitter and wish to congratulate the English for a solid performance and I suspect that some long selection meetings will be held today with regards to the Saffa side for the last 2 test matches.

Mate there is nothing wrong with being bitter, or being angry, I know I am when ever Australia loses. I dont take losing well, but who should?

Yes, England won fair and square, but by the same token you don't want to make to many changes without evaluating the situation at hand.

SA are still a fine cricket team, one loss wont change that. England by in large away from home are an average cricket team, one magnificent victory won't alter my opinion on that either.

Steyn and Kallis will come back strongly, I have no doubt.

Steyn is a joke. He comes out yesterday saying Boucher can turn the game around for them as he is the best keeper/batsman ever!

Boucher is not even close so how could any reasonable person think this?

hattrick;382648 said:
1. Prince is not an opener and Smith needs a proper player with him. Prince has a good record but Prince flashed at wide balls in both innings.

I have to say I've wondered why Prince has been opening. Better off to put Amla there and drop Prince down?

hattrick;382648 said:
4. A decision needs to be made on Ntini. The lack of pace in his bowling can be seen by all and he is in no position to take wickets. I understand that he is an icon and has political implications but he is no longer the go to bowler for Smith.

Ntini has lost it. A great performer over the years but he is looking a shadow of his former self. From an English perspective I hope he stays in the team, however, de Wet has to come in.

The selectors need to pick the team on merit, not skin colour or politics.

hattrick;382648 said:
5. Fitness of Kallis and Steyn is an indicator that there are no real players breaking down the door to play for the national side. However it cannot be used as an excuse .. I am still of the opinion that Steyn has an action issue -> why can he not swing anything except his bat currently?

Both are struggling from what I saw. Kallis is down pace wise and I get the feeling that his rib injury is still bothering him. Steyn also looked rusty but given overs will improve. Not sure about the action as not seen enough of him - but if you think there is something going on then compare him at the start of his test career to about 18 months ago and then the last test -should give you an idea if anything is astray.

Please don't drop Ntini...

I don't care how badly he is doing but he is one of my favourite players ever...

I remember when we played SA earlier this year, they hadn't played first class cricket since they returned from their victorious Australian tour. It took them 2 test matchs to get back into the groove, and they then proceeded to belt us at Cape Town.

I'd be very surprised if SA don't come back hard at Cape Town, people have to realise that this team hasn't played test cricket for 8 months.

Back