FBI's Season 2008

FBI

FBI's Season 2008

Not too sure why I didn't start this earlier. I was keeping a diary on planetcricket though, so there are updates from my season so far.

The complete season (so far) can be found in the attached word document. Further updates come both in this word document and in post form...

Hi all,

I am a left arm medium pace bowler who bowls predominant outswing to the right hander. Over the winter, I have worked on increasing my pace and adding an inswinger to my repertoire. My cousin owns a speed gun and I have recently been timed, in indoor nets after a long net session, at 62mph; this is an increase from my previous best, last season of 58mph.

Enjoy...

Re: Manee's Season 2008

No wickets again, again

I bowled in a Sunday friendly today. I was shattered from playing cricket for the last 5 days. I did work up good pace in my last few overs though, jumping quite high with a good shoulder explosion on a slow pitch. I had the batsmen in trouble, playing and missing and getting hit on the pad. Still no wickets though. The oppositio screwed up the scoring somewhat, but I went for about 15 off 5 overs.

Nice economy at least. Don't worry the wickets will come sooner or later.

What kind of games do you play - ie 20/40/50 over with school/club??)

Jelly Beanz said:
What kind of games do you play - ie 20/40/50 over with school/club??)

24 over on Friday. Weekdays or Saturdays are 30 overs and Sunday is 40 overs. All for different teams, of course.

Small note: I finished saving up the £58.75 for fast bowling analysis from Ian Pont and have sent off for it.

You guessed it, no wickets

I had an U16 match yesterday and, as usual, got no wickets. My line was poor and inconsistent, with me drifting too far down the leg side as well as bowling too short. I was rightly punished for a six and a four off my short balls. I had a caught behind chance dropped, which annoyed me as I am still searching for my first wicket this season and a close LBW turned down - which also annoyed me...

Oh well - there is always next week.

Try not to worry about the wickets not coming, take the pressure off yourself and just try to enjoy the game.

Sometimes you can try too hard and it can have a detrimental effect on your game.

I know but 7 games without a wicket must be some kind of record. I have sent clips to Ian Pont for paid analysis and am putting a lot of faith in it being the answer to my bowling woes - even though such a reliance is rather overly optimistic.

7 games is nothing to be honest and it does happen. If you were going for 7 or 8 an over then I'd be worried but as soon as you get 1 wicket the rest will follow.

Whilst Ian is good as what his does, having the perfect bowling action is not going to magically start getting you wickets, just keep putting the ball in the right areas and it will come. It can be frustrating at times and often when in a lean trot you'll find that chances are spilled and the ball will shake the bails but not dislodge them.

Then you'll bowl the worst ball of your life and find that it gets a wicket and it's normal service resumed.

Saying that, I would be interested in hearing what Ian recommends for you, if you don't mind.

Your advice is very helpful - which is unusual for motivational advice for me. Thanks. After I recieve the report, I will ask Ian if I can post it on sC.

Looking at my spell in a positive light, I felt a smoothish run up, which was nice and I felt like my action was going quite nicely. I truly think that my problem lies in my weight going in the wrong direction. The only balls which I bowl on or outside off are the ones I push with my wrist - this is obviously not right.

Yeh, I know a gun bowler who bowls quick as and deadly accurate, but he always told me he never gets wickets. Even the best of bowlers just get unlucky.

Do you have a regular bowling partner? I've always found that I get the most wickets when bowling with a partner who compliments my style. It's no good being tight at the one end if the other guy is leaking runs.

mas cambios said:
Do you have a regular bowling partner? I've always found that I get the most wickets when bowling with a partner who compliments my style. It's no good being tight at the one end if the other guy is leaking runs.

For club U16 (I think about 6 games to go, so plenty left), my bowling partner is a very good, very sharp (high 60s mph in his groove off what is a trundle of a run up) swing bowler. I am most certainly the liability to him.

Ian Pont analysis

I was rather cautious, upon opening my analysis from Ian Pont. However, any doubts I had were dismantled by what was a very comprehensive, concise and focused analysis. It is a five page document and the main points are as follows:
  • I have a safe, solid action
  • I have a weak, ineffective shuffly run up. Too flat footed and must lift up knees and pump arms more.
  • Got to jump, both further and higher
  • Must control elbows more in the action to point to the ground during jump.
  • Must have more relaxed shoulders at delivery.
  • I throw my bowling hand in front of me after backfoot impact whereas it should be by stomach or side.
  • I lift my backfoot off ground before delivery like a spinner whereas I should drag it.
  • I release the ball behind my head, should be slightly infront.
  • Must improve shoulder rotation.

There is probably a few more points which I missed too, but it is a great amount of detail for me to work on and reassures me somewhat that my lack of pace is due to poor technique rather than chronic lack of talent. I recommend this analysis highly for anyone with the money who does not currently have the time for a one-on-one session.

Seems a nice bit of analysis there and you now have sometime to work with and also to take to a coach if needed.

I find it amazing you release the ball when it is behind your head - I do it well out in front.

Starting to get to grips with the changes

Slight update. I have been working at some of the changes which were suggested to me in the assessment by going through a modified action off a walking pace, with no ball. I have been practicing dragging my back foot along the ground whilst bowling - it does seem to generate more power, but I very well could be imagining it. I have also altered my load up, as specified, to go in straighter lines and not pull my weight back - cannot really comment too much on that as the effect will only become evident with a ball for that particular change.

I have also practiced using the arms and knees during a more powerful run up. The issue for me is massive leg stiffness which comes over me some days, allowing me little more than a shuffle to the crease.:) I will continue to work on the more powerful run up though.

I have also been concentrating on not pushing my bowling arm after backfoot impact (have no idea why I ever did that) and I think that that is going well too. Hopefully, I can try out the changes at the nets before my U16 game tomorrow and then work on really attempting to work up pace in that game. Rain is forecast though, which is a shame.

First wicket, finally

I had an U16 game today and although it is too soon to attempt to incorperate the other changes, I used a different load up today and it worked well. I got my trademark outswing from left arm over the wicket and picked up 4-1-5-1 with one that held its line somewhat and took middle and leg.

I took a good diving catch too, which I was quite thrilled with. The reaction of my teammates is best summed up as :eek: :eek:hmy: :) :D

Back