Field Settings for Leg-Spinners

I'm not self advocating that I'm a maestro by any means, however I am a RA wrist spinner yes. Remember that these fields are fields that are set by first class bowlers to first class batsman! (in t20's)

I just had another quick look over some of the other fields that were posted, and obviously there is a huge variance in what we all think is an acceptable field for a leggy. Indeed this variance will depend on the standard you play, the type of bowler youare and what are your strengths and weaknesses. (Not even starting on the playing surface)

For example there was one field with 4 men back on the leg side.... Now what you can gauge from that is that they are either bowling very slow, or they are bowling very much a middle outside leg line. (or coming on when batsman are slogging)

And Dave we are all just learning when it comes to leg spin, even Warne!

Now I suppose I was relatively harsh in 'having a go' at the fields set, but maybe I should ask - what are we trying to achieve when we bowl?

I would suggest that most leg spinners get sucked in to bowling leg stump line, that requires us to pack our leg side field if we fail to a) pitch b) turn the ball.

If I was to state that a leg spinners best weapon is a leg break, I wouldn't be stating anything new would I? So lets now take the line to a off-stump outside off stump line (especially when we first come onto bowl, we haven't seen how much we will turn it, bounce it, drift it).

I'm creating discussion rather than posting fields here... So would this line affect any of 'our' or the forums field placements for starting a spell and what effect would it have on our stock ball and other deliveries?

Chaz

Right, okay. For a start, i think if you go looking for field settings for wrist spinners on the internet there's virtually nothing there. i started this thread because I haven't got a clue about the ins and outs of setting fields, but I've got a couple of books with diagrams and descriptions of others from the 1930's and I think I either posted one up or described one and then was contacted by a bloke on Pitch Vision asking if he could use it and asked the theory behind it. Through a series of emails with this bloke it became obvious that there are no resources on the internet for fields other than the few he had and some of those that I'd picked up and so I decided that I'd post a few up and see what the response was.

As you've alluded to, fields are complex with many variables that can dictate whether they're orthodox or other-wise. I posted up one that was set for me by a captain, which to most eyes would seem pretty dumb, but it created 5 chances in about 3 or 4 overs that would have been taken if it wasn't for the fact that it was a Sunday Friendly match and the players were lacking in committment or fitness. This may have been the field that you've referred to in your 3rd paragraph. In this situation the captain was trying to force the batsman to play straight or through the covers trying to induce an edge or a top edge off my bowling which is predominantly off-stump line. Despite this line the batsmen were both trying to get the ball through the on-side despite the fact that on-side was packed with blokes. Yeah - absolutely as you've said it's a case of what is it we're trying to achieve when we bowl and set fields, and a part of that process is being able to analyse the batsmans weaknesses as we stand there fielding waiting to be thrown the ball. I don't suppose it helps then if you're a bowler who can't bat and bats at No.10 or 11 and has a limited understanding of batting. Add to that the fact that in my case cricket passed me by in life and it is something I only came to in my 40's and is something I'm still learning about.

With regards your final points I think generally on here we're all advocates of the off-stump line - looking to find the edge rather than bowling a batsman round his legs. This year (My 5th season) is the first year that I've had the confidence to set my fields and as you've said we set a field in accordance with the prospect of bowling a few loosners at the start. I'll draw up the field I've used this year at the start and I'll try and explain why. Whether it makes any sense to anyone else it'll be interesting to hear.

B&PCC v Southend on Sea Aug 27 2011. (71).jpg
This year I've been playing league cricket 3rd and 4th XI matches and this is the one I've been starting out with. I then usually bring up the mid on and mid off to about half way if I'm bowling okay and containing the batsman creating chances. I bowl coming over the wicket looking to pitch the ball on the off-stump, but invariably there's usually a few loose balls that pitch wide of leg, but generally I get the ball to turn off the wicket and I've taken a couple clean bowled round the back of the legs this year. If I leak runs it's been cover drives through the bloke at cover. Wickets taken have been caught by bloke at slips mostly. Had a couple dropped at mid wicket and deep square leg because the bloke was injured.

What do you reckon?

"Despite this line the batsmen were both trying to get the ball through the on-side despite the fact that on-side was packed with blokes." (DAVES POST)

Very good point Dave, some batsman at our level just play the way they always have with complete disregard to the field thats set. No point setting a field with an elaborate plan to get them out when a very basic plan will do.

"Despite this line the batsmen were both trying to get the ball through the on-side despite the fact that on-side was packed with blokes." (DAVES POST)

Very good point Dave, some batsman at our level just play the way they always have with complete disregard to the field thats set. No point setting a field with an elaborate plan to get them out when a very basic plan will do.

The thing was in that game, to me it looked like a daft field initially, but it might have worked if it wasn't for the fact that the fielders never quite got there or put the catch down. I think the captain had noted that both RH bats fancied there chances swinging at the ball getting the ball over the boundary on the on-side. If I recall a couple of balls were put down on the on-side boundary and then when they did try and drive there was almost a catch at mid on, a couple of wrong uns produced balls that fell short of point when they were trying to hoik the ball out to the deep mid wicket boundary.

View attachment 98
This year I've been playing league cricket 3rd and 4th XI matches and this is the one I've been starting out with. I then usually bring up the mid on and mid off to about half way if I'm bowling okay and containing the batsman creating chances. I bowl coming over the wicket looking to pitch the ball on the off-stump, but invariably there's usually a few loose balls that pitch wide of leg, but generally I get the ball to turn off the wicket and I've taken a couple clean bowled round the back of the legs this year. If I leak runs it's been cover drives through the bloke at cover. Wickets taken have been caught by bloke at slips mostly. Had a couple dropped at mid wicket and deep square leg because the bloke was injured.

What do you reckon?

That seems like good field to start with. With the fielder 11 I would have him there as I am a quicker bowler and play on synthetic pitches. I think for a slower bowler, and on turf pitches I would move him straighter. My thinking is when a batman has more time to play square cut the straighter he hits it, the less time he has the more he will play it square or behind square.
If the 11 was straighter I would bring the 4 back a little squarer.
With regards to my theory of having someone under the batsmans nose at the start I would probably think about bringing up the mid wicket up into silly mid on , getting the deep square leg a little straighter and bringing up the man at deep mid on to mid on to field anything hit into the mid wicket area. Bringing deep square a little straighter for the same reason, that I bowl a little quicker,giving them less time to play which usually means hitting straighter on the leg side, (opposite to off)
I love this side of the game.

That seems like good field to start with. With the fielder 11 I would have him there as I am a quicker bowler and play on synthetic pitches. I think for a slower bowler, and on turf pitches I would move him straighter. My thinking is when a batman has more time to play square cut the straighter he hits it, the less time he has the more he will play it square or behind square.
If the 11 was straighter I would bring the 4 back a little squarer.
With regards to my theory of having someone under the batsmans nose at the start I would probably think about bringing up the mid wicket up into silly mid on , getting the deep square leg a little straighter and bringing up the man at deep mid on to mid on to field anything hit into the mid wicket area. Bringing deep square a little straighter for the same reason, that I bowl a little quicker,giving them less time to play which usually means hitting straighter on the leg side, (opposite to off)
I love this side of the game.

You make a good point with regards the use of close in fielders, if you look at Philpotts and Grimmetts fields they both advocate starting off with aggressive fields to show you mean business. But I reckon at the level I play and the fact that I'm unlikely to cement a regular place in any of the four league sides, let alone the 1st and 2nd XI's it's a bit 'off' to expect some bloke to chance not being able to go to work on Monday cos he's worn a ball somewhere because of my ropey bowling first up. To my mind you'd only be able to ask a bloke to field in that close if (a) You were a regular in the side and you were good mates with the bloke putting his body on the line for you or (b) They could see that from just the handful of games you might get to play - you've proven that you can put the ball on the spot again and again with supreme accuracy. I've noticed that Offies with their accuracy, almost have people queuing up to get in close especially once they've got into the tail.

View attachment 98

What do you reckon?

Touching on this very briefly as I have a busy day today. I'd move the point to backward point, this is also a wicket taking position in many competitions if batters are hitting against the turn. And move the deep backward point to a sweeping cover. The Deep square leg should be in front of square. I would also suggest that the fine leg be moved into the circle and placed on the 45 degrees to save one, also again a catcher from sweep shots.

Sorry for the short response.

Chaz

Valid points, I always wonder about the point position, I've fielded at point on several ocassions and taken catches there 2 or 3 times, but as I recall always off of a seamers bowling. Is it the case that for the spinner the balls going to me more likely in the backward point position?

Guy in my club bowls leg spin with plenty of loop and dip. We find he gets a lot of wickets caught in the gulley or shortish extra cover by enticing the batsmen to drive, and if he gives away runs it tends to be to from the sweep shot. Hence we never put anyone straight back behind him. I can count on one hand the number of batsmen that have successfully taken on the challenge of hitting him back over his head this last season.

We use two fields for him: a 4-5 field where he bowls at the line of the middle and leg, with a leg gulley (for the gloved/topedged sweep), deep backward square, forward square, deep midwicket, mid on, mid off, cover, point and gulley.
A 5-4 field where he bowls on off stump, where we move the leg gulley to slip, everyone shuffles round and we bring the cover fielder in a bit. Both seem to work pretty well, and its nice to have another option should the batsman look comfortable with the whatever line of attack we try first.

Hey Guys,
I am generally confused on where to place my fielders. I'm an okay legspinner. I can bowl the odd crap ball and I'm not the most accurate of bowlers. I'm playing in a league with 12, 13 and 14 year olds who aren't that confident at catching but throw well. The wicket keeper is reasonably inconsistent. What would you guys suggest as a good field placement?

If you require more info please ask?

Hey Guys,
I am generally confused on where to place my fielders. I'm an okay legspinner. I can bowl the odd crap ball and I'm not the most accurate of bowlers. I'm playing in a league with 12, 13 and 14 year olds who aren't that confident at catching but throw well. The wicket keeper is reasonably inconsistent. What would you guys suggest as a good field placement?

If you require more info please ask?

Seeing as your fielders aren't much kop at catching, you need to try and get wickets by hitting the stumps. So pitch the ball right up there on middle and leg and tempt the batsmen into playing across the line and beat them with your turn. You should see the ball thumping into middle and off with reasonable regularity.

As you are attacking with your legspin, you can defend with the field. Kids tend to hit across the line so put three men back on the leg side boundary - deep backward square leg, deep midwicket, and long on. have everyone else on the single - 4 in a ring on the offside, and a couple of men on the one in the leg side.

Seeing as your fielders aren't much kop at catching, you need to try and get wickets by hitting the stumps. So pitch the ball right up there on middle and leg and tempt the batsmen into playing across the line and beat them with your turn. You should see the ball thumping into middle and off with reasonable regularity.

As you are attacking with your legspin, you can defend with the field. Kids tend to hit across the line so put three men back on the leg side boundary - deep backward square leg, deep midwicket, and long on. have everyone else on the single - 4 in a ring on the offside, and a couple of men on the one in the leg side.

I'm liking SLA on this thread, sounds like he knows a thing or two.

Thanks for that. what do you mean "4 in a ring on the offside."

Yes that was basically what I was thinking.

Cheers dave!
I've tried to do a field graphic for your suggestion for Spinaddict 19 - is this it? Although you were vague about the blokes on the 1 on the on-side. If it's not let me know and I'll re-do it.

Spin addict field by SLA Draft 1
SLA%2BDraft%2B1%2Bfor%2BSpin%2Baddict19.jpg

This originates from my blog over at http://mpafirsteleven.blogspot.com/2011/09/field-setting-from-forum.html

I've tried to do a field graphic for your suggestion for Spinaddict 19 - is this it? Although you were vague about the blokes on the 1 on the on-side. If it's not let me know and I'll re-do it.

Spin addict field by SLA Draft 1
SLA%2BDraft%2B1%2Bfor%2BSpin%2Baddict19.jpg

This originates from my blog over at http://mpafirsteleven.blogspot.com/2011/09/field-setting-from-forum.html

That's awesome! I might have 4 a little wider and 11 a little straighter, that's all. But otherwise I think that's a pretty decent field for a young legspinner bowling full on middle and leg.

One Problem. This year they might change it to nine a side in my league. what positions should be switched if it does get changed?

Hmm tricky, normally you lose one fielder from each side. So probably lose the point and the deep mid on and shuffle everyone around?

Back