Finger Spin Bowling.

Re: Finger Spin Bowling.

doggyz_rok;381522 said:
Is this bowled as a regular Doosra or do have some other method that you use to turn it the other way?

I hold it like Mendis' carrom ball. My middle finger doesn't 'flick' the ball out as much though. I use the first finger to drag it down the opposite way of a normal off-break. Because the middle finger is behind the ball it is out of the way and allows me to do that. At the moment it's considerably slower - but when I worked on it last year I solved this problem, it was just a matter of practice. For me it doesn't spin as much yet, but it is fantastic for LBWs when they don't pick it.

Mousey;381579 said:
I hold it like Mendis' carrom ball. My middle finger doesn't 'flick' the ball out as much though. I use the first finger to drag it down the opposite way of a normal off-break. Because the middle finger is behind the ball it is out of the way and allows me to do that. At the moment it's considerably slower - but when I worked on it last year I solved this problem, it was just a matter of practice. For me it doesn't spin as much yet, but it is fantastic for LBWs when they don't pick it.
Thanks heaps for that mate! I will have to try it out.
Just wondering what everyone thinks of the jalebi or teesra.
I have just seen Saqlain Mustaq bowl it on youtube .
Is this delivery better to shut the batsman down in a one day match or does it have it's benefits in the longer version of the game?

doggyz_rok;381616 said:
Thanks heaps for that mate! I will have to try it out.
Just wondering what everyone thinks of the jalebi or teesra.
I have just seen Saqlain Mustaq bowl it on youtube .
Is this delivery better to shut the batsman down in a one day match or does it have it's benefits in the longer version of the game?

its just a leg spinners flipper delivery from what i can tell. have a look in the wrist spin thread on here, theres a TON of information on it. someblokecalleddave has stuck a load of videos on youtube on how to bowl it, ive stuck a couple of videos on youtube of me actually bowling it.

from a leg spinners point of view, its an occasional variation that works best in amongst leg breaks. it bowls flatter and faster, is easily misjudged, and then zips through low and stays straight bringing LBW and bowled into play. it arrives at the bat much faster than it seems which catches batsmen off guard. it has to be bowled to a plan though really, just throwing it in every now and again is fairly pointless unlike some of the more common variations.

from an off spinners perspective id think it would work best used in a similar way. the disadvantage you have is that bowling at the stumps is a fairly defensive line for an offie, and the batsman is going to assume the ball will go straight anyway. it would work better to left handers id think as they will expect the ball pitched on the stumps and turning away. a right hander expects the ball pitched outside off if its going to turn, if its pitched on their legs then any turn will miss the stumps so its an easy leave, or they can tuck it round the corner for runs. bowling straight outside off stump removes the 2 most likely dismissals from the equation (LBW and bowled). so you need to have a plan before using it really.

in limited overs it could be used as a defensive ball to restrict run scoring off right handers if you set a strong leg side field. if the batsman tries to play to the off side then theyre going against the spin, so then using the flipper as your stock ball brings the off break into play as a good dismissal tactic.

Hey I was wondering If anyone could help me with a top spinner issue, I used to be able to bowl it well but now after the christmas new year break i've sort of lost touch with it, I was just thinking it could possibly be wrist position or maybe i'm not getting my pivot right.

any ideas?

Which grip do you use when you bowl it?

When I do it is two fngers in the usual orthodox position you are taught by almost all coaches for the off break. I then move the seam so that instead of running across the tips of both first and second finger, the seam runs from the tip of the first fingers and points to just above the joint where the fifth finger joins the palm. I then lift my thumb out as far as I can so it is out of the road and when I release the ball the seam can run all the way down my arm as I hold it above my head. Then you work on getting that seam to stay vertical all the way down the pitch.

How I do that varies depending on the day I'm having. Sometimes it comes fine, somedays I have to adjust. To answer your question:

Pivoting and release point has a large impact as to the straightness of said seam. It varies the effectiveness of all the balls bowled in off spin. For the off break you pivot normally and quickly, the faster you turn your hip, the more spin you will get. But the faster you turn your knee, the longer the arc until your release point. It means you swivel further and release the ball at the same height, but a later point. If you don't do this you cannot make the ball spin straight down the seam without dislocating your shoulder. To bowl a doosra, the easiest way to learn it is to stand with your body facing to the off side for a right hand batsman (if you are a right hander) with your back to the stumps. Then throw the ball down the pitch with an off spinner's grip and it should turn as a leg break. Then same is true with a top spinner, you pivot on your knee until you are half way at 45 degrees then release the ball as an off spinner and it will top spin with any luck. The easiest way to do this is in your follow through force your arm to go down past your thigh on the outside of your body, instead of past the left side of your hip, but try and pivot on around to face the batsman on your knee, keeping your hip fairly in line with the rest of your body. Then take note of the position of your body and try to replicate that with a normal follow through. That's how i do it.

For the top spinner I just keep the seam a bit straighter and really give it some good flight by releasing it from nice and high

Boris;383094 said:
Which grip do you use when you bowl it?

When I do it is two fngers in the usual orthodox position you are taught by almost all coaches for the off break. I then move the seam so that instead of running across the tips of both first and second finger, the seam runs from the tip of the first fingers and points to just above the joint where the fifth finger joins the palm. I then lift my thumb out as far as I can so it is out of the road and when I release the ball the seam can run all the way down my arm as I hold it above my head. Then you work on getting that seam to stay vertical all the way down the pitch.

How I do that varies depending on the day I'm having. Sometimes it comes fine, somedays I have to adjust. To answer your question:

Pivoting and release point has a large impact as to the straightness of said seam. It varies the effectiveness of all the balls bowled in off spin. For the off break you pivot normally and quickly, the faster you turn your hip, the more spin you will get. But the faster you turn your knee, the longer the arc until your release point. It means you swivel further and release the ball at the same height, but a later point. If you don't do this you cannot make the ball spin straight down the seam without dislocating your shoulder. To bowl a doosra, the easiest way to learn it is to stand with your body facing to the off side for a right hand batsman (if you are a right hander) with your back to the stumps. Then throw the ball down the pitch with an off spinner's grip and it should turn as a leg break. Then same is true with a top spinner, you pivot on your knee until you are half way at 45 degrees then release the ball as an off spinner and it will top spin with any luck. The easiest way to do this is in your follow through force your arm to go down past your thigh on the outside of your body, instead of past the left side of your hip, but try and pivot on around to face the batsman on your knee, keeping your hip fairly in line with the rest of your body. Then take note of the position of your body and try to replicate that with a normal follow through. That's how i do it.
I'll have a go at some of these at our next training which happens to be tomorrow... hopefully it'll work!:D

Just running your arm down the wrong side of your body in the follow through usually works fine for me to get me in a rythym so I can go back to a normal follow through with a top spinner. Might not work for you though.

well there's no harm in trying so i might aswell, and if it doesn't work then i'll just keep my stock ball going.

even on things you've got right there's always room for improvment so I do have other things i can work on...

Well if you try this something unexpected might happen and you just found yourself a new ball.

Your right, nothing is going to hurt.

well unless having my arm go down the opposite side dislocates it or something, then it would hurt... but that wont happen;)

oh gee thanks, but no it didn't dislocate or hurt at all but I'm back to my old problem of almost no turn, and the thing is this time my pivot is fine and so is my action, i think im just losing touch and i'll probably get the boot from the representetive sides if i can'tfix it...

Graeme Swann bowling 'Sliders' - what's that all about then?

Just been watching the higlhlights of todays Eng v Sth Africa and Geoffrey Boycott said on a couple of ocassions that Swann was bowling Sliders. So you Offies have a back-spinner that goes straight on - how's that work then? Is there any videos anywhere with someone explaining how it's done? Or is Boycott getting his sliders mixed up with his arm balls?

someblokecalleddave;383425 said:
Graeme Swann bowling 'Sliders' - what's that all about then?

Just been watching the higlhlights of todays Eng v Sth Africa and Geoffrey Boycott said on a couple of ocassions that Swann was bowling Sliders. So you Offies have a back-spinner that goes straight on - how's that work then? Is there any videos anywhere with someone explaining how it's done? Or is Boycott getting his sliders mixed up with his arm balls?

Well, the simplest way would be to simply pull back on the ball at release, which is, for the most part, how one bowls an arm-ball I think(it is certainly the wrist action). I guess one might consider the arm-ball with backspin and a back-spinning straight ball designed to keep low as separate deliveries as the arm-ball is meant to go with the arm and swing, while a "slider" would be straight.

swann just bowls it with a horizontal seam and it doesn't grip and just goes straight on. You'll find many commentators just call any ball that goes straight on a slider.

gundalf7;383436 said:
swann just bowls it with a horizontal seam and it doesn't grip and just goes straight on. You'll find many commentators just call any ball that goes straight on a slider.

So there's not a lot or any back-spin do reckon?

the way swann bowls it there isn't i think most of the idea is to land it on the side of the ball to get it to skid on quicker than his off breaks that grip off the seam. Of course an offie could bowl a backspinner similar to a slider, there is one indian club bowler that does.

Back