Gca Player Movements 2011/2012

I reckon Highton might be safe , the beat BPH in all grades and their lower grades have been winnng a few. Their firsts are young and have not been disgraced. There will be other clubs very worried i think.

Didn't
Big News from GCA committee. Next season, being season 2012/2013 current GCA president Grant Dew will be asked to stand down from his role as well as GCA headquarters will be moved from East Belmont Cricket Club to a neutral location (possibly Sports House at Kardinia Park or another cricket club with updated and adequate facilities). This rebel movement comes as many associated clubs within the Geelong region have complained of a conflict of interest to the GCA by having a committee president who plays for the club that is the association headquarters. Stay turned.....

Didn't seem too be a problem when Barry McMahon was President.

Big News from GCA committee. Next season, being season 2012/2013 current GCA president Grant Dew will be asked to stand down from his role as well as GCA headquarters will be moved from East Belmont Cricket Club to a neutral location (possibly Sports House at Kardinia Park or another cricket club with updated and adequate facilities). This rebel movement comes as many associated clubs within the Geelong region have complained of a conflict of interest to the GCA by having a committee president who plays for the club that is the association headquarters. Stay tuned.....

No offence, but talk is cheap and I'll believe it when I see it. Who else would want to take that job on?

Big News from GCA committee. Next season, being season 2012/2013 current GCA president Grant Dew will be asked to stand down from his role as well as GCA headquarters will be moved from East Belmont Cricket Club to a neutral location (possibly Sports House at Kardinia Park or another cricket club with updated and adequate facilities). This rebel movement comes as many associated clubs within the Geelong region have complained of a conflict of interest to the GCA by having a committee president who plays for the club that is the association headquarters. Stay turned.....
Pffft. So the GCA committee have already decided this, and members of the committee are telling people the "news"?

I'd love to hear just one example of Grant having a conflict of interest between playing cricket for East Belmont and the GCA having their headquarters at Winter Reserve???

And exactly what "adequate" facilities do the GCA committee need?

And why does Grant have to stand down AND the GCA move? Wouldn't either one cancel out any supposed conflict of interest?

And how would another cricket club be a "neutral" location when East Belmont isnt?

Interesting! I would assume by that comment there is someone that will put their hand up then. If it took the time it did to find a pennant chairman, why would there be someone available and competent at running the association........If Grants committed to next season, I would have though that you would move to new location, if thats in fact what is being said.

Agree. While a push to replace the president is a posibility, I am certain a move from current GCA HQ would be unlikely, unless it was for other reasons. (ie. relationships with sports house tennant, geelong cc, etc). What could spark the committee to lose faith in Grant. I can only think that he has tried or successfully used his position to sway a large decision about the GCA. What has been done recently? ACCC, Salary Caps (points system), Appointment of Country Week Coach and East Belmont recruitment manager.

Agree. While a push to replace the president is a posibility, I am certain a move from current GCA HQ would be unlikely, unless it was for other reasons. (ie. relationships with sports house tennant, geelong cc, etc). What could spark the committee to lose faith in Grant. I can only think that he has tried or successfully used his position to sway a large decision about the GCA. What has been done recently? ACCC, Salary Caps (points system), Appointment of Country Week Coach and East Belmont recruitment manager.
As far as i am aware the points system has not been confirmed for next season. What are the chances of it going ahead at the moment?

As far as i am aware the points system has not been confirmed for next season. What are the chances of it going ahead at the moment?

Dewy seemed keen about it at the last GCA general meeting, and let's face it, the current salary cap system is not exactly working and everyone (including GCA management) is aware of this. But until the GCA tables its draft preferred points system, it's only a concept for general discussion. Was interesting to note that EBCC spoke against the concept at said meeting, so Dewy certainly isn't wearing the club colours on this issue.

Dewy seemed keen about it at the last GCA general meeting, and let's face it, the current salary cap system is not exactly working and everyone (including GCA management) is aware of this. But until the GCA tables its draft preferred points system, it's only a concept for general discussion. Was interesting to note that EBCC spoke against the concept at said meeting, so Dewy certainly isn't wearing the club colours on this issue.
East Belmont would have several players like bambury and lineen who would rate highly in the point system which probably explains why they are against it. Which clubs are for it?

Im my opinion Grant has done a great job taking over from Aggy, his biggest coup is the ACCC to Geelong, really putting us and our clubs on the map throughout Australia. And who cares if the GCA moves HQ, it makes no difference to the compeition or who's running it....And which clubs have a conflict of interest? I am from a divi 2 club, and he is always approachable and always willing to talk about any issue....and only wearing a GCA hat when discussing these issues. And aren't GCA meetings the forum to bring up greivances against the committee, or at least talk one on one with Grant or any of the committee, as opposed to slagging him out....and name any president that hasn't been affiliated with a club of their own in the GCA??????

Not sure the ACCC has really captured the imagination of the Geelong cricket public. I think most would rather be resuming cricket this weekend as opposed to the next and don't regard the ACCC as a must-see event. It's also caused events like the GCA T20 comp to be forgotten - when I last looked, the round-of-16 fixture hadn't been loaded on MyCricket (we played our game pre-Xmas and still can't enter the scores thereon). But yes Mahatmacoat is correct; it would be virtually impossible to source a GCA President (or any management committee member for that matter) who didn't have previous admin experience with a GCA club. It's how they each handle any potential conflicts of interest that count, although I can't think of too many that have come up in recent seasons.

yes granted look here...the ACCC is a massive distraction away from our own comps, but still its good for Geelong's ''cricket image'' dependant on how you look at it! I think next season if we have another extended break over xmas , and run the T20 comp over that 3-4 week period...allowing sides to be available, as opposed to difficult mid week fixtures travelling as far as Teesdale or Lethbridge, Inverleigh to name a few. It would mean all fixtures (3 games can be played over weekends of Friday nights, really giving the T20 comp some kudos. Beacause as you say lookhere it gets brushed aside the way it is now...and to be honest forgotten...

Of greater concern is the lack of numbers in Geelong cricket. Many clubs are fielding less sides and some putting sides on the ground with less than 11 players. A left field suggestion would be to play all one day matches as it appears that many players will not committ to two day games and clubs can have players play 70%+ games if they are all one day matches. This also produces equality in the fixturing as each club could play each other twice, once at home and once away. Any thoughts on this?

By the way, I think Grant Dew is doing a terrific job.

Of greater concern is the lack of numbers in Geelong cricket. Many clubs are fielding less sides and some putting sides on the ground with less than 11 players. A left field suggestion would be to play all one day matches as it appears that many players will not committ to two day games and clubs can have players play 70%+ games if they are all one day matches. This also produces equality in the fixturing as each club could play each other twice, once at home and once away. Any thoughts on this?

I Agree.

I agree. Work and Family commitments not allowing guys to commmitt to 2 day cricket more so now then 5-10 years ago. Prob should keep div1 1st as 2 day games

I agree. Work and Family commitments not allowing guys to commmitt to 2 day cricket more so now then 5-10 years ago. Prob should keep div1 1st as 2 day games

In my opinion, no higher grades of cricket play 75/85 over games... State cricket has 3 formats... 4 day cricket, 50 over and 20 over.. 75-85 over games dont really relate to 4 day cricket... where as if we play 50 over games and then use the 20 over games as a change up, itll keep people interested

Scrap the 75-85 over games... turn em into 50 over fixtures, 22 rounds play each side home and away.. and continue running this t20 competition mid week and on sundays

In my opinion, no higher grades of cricket play 75/85 over games...

Scrap the 75-85 over games... turn em into 50 over fixtures, 22 rounds play each side home and away.. and continue running this t20 competition mid week and on sundays

I doubt that there would be support from most Div1 clubs for getting rid of 85 over fixtures for turf cricket. I would prefer to see a competition so that is only 2 day fixtures and the other one day and t20 stuff is done midweek and weekends.

Playing 3rds and 4ths as one day fixtures does have its merrits, but I know there are older players working their way down the grades and younger kids learning to play cricket, striving to play turf that would have to lose 2 day cricket.

I am not a big fan of t20 cricket. I would prefer to sit and watch test cricket, and race to the toilet between overs so you do not miss a ball. The longer form of the game is still the ultimate and at GCA level, the closest we can get to that is 2 day 85 over cricket.

News on the front of the GCA committee. There is still calls next season to see a replacement of the president of the GCA or movement of the association headquarters. This comes on the back of talks of a 'no confidence' in the committee as again the president of the committee plays for the club which are the headquarters, which could be seen as that club having an advantage not from a playing aspect but more from an administrative view. It is presumed the problem would be resolved and the current president Grant Dew to stay on if a 'neutral' location for the association headquarters is found and agreed upon.

Back