Geelong Cricket Chat 09/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Geelong Cricket Chat 09/10

SHANEBOURNEorWARNE;372309 said:
No club will go down or up from div 2 and 3 if Corio or St Albans don't win the club championship.

More chance of the sky falling than St. Albans not winning the club championship

Renny24;372180 said:
To start a new discussion: Country Week initial squad would be due to be selected soon. Any tips, certain selections, bolters?

My squad would be:

B.Haurnstein (c) (SBCC)
C.Bambury (LCC)
D.Fanning (StJ)
D.Morgan (StJ)
N.Peterson (GRO)
D.Koliba (SBCC)
A.Fergusson (NG)
G.Talarico (GW)
S.Loftus (GW)
A.Cairns (BPH)
S.Anderson (W/K) (BPH)
B.Anderton (SBCC)
J.Miller (StABCC)
B.Tsistas (GRO)
T.Faulkhead (BPH)
B.Scown (NG)
M.Caulfield (EB)

That's just a guess, without the aid of mycricket. Picked blokes on previous/higher level and current form.

I may of also missed an obvious pick:eek:

Renny24;372180 said:
To start a new discussion: Country Week initial squad would be due to be selected soon. Any tips, certain selections, bolters?

My squad would be:

B.Haurnstein (c) (SBCC)
C.Bambury (LCC)
D.Fanning (StJ)
D.Morgan (StJ)
N.Peterson (GRO)
D.Koliba (SBCC)
A.Fergusson (NG)
G.Talarico (GW)
S.Loftus (GW)
A.Cairns (BPH)
S.Anderson (W/K) (BPH)
B.Anderton (SBCC)
J.Miller (StABCC)
B.Tsistas (GRO)
T.Faulkhead (BPH)
B.Scown (NG)
M.Caulfield (EB)

That's just a guess, without the aid of mycricket. Picked blokes on previous/higher level and current form.

SHANEBOURNEorWARNE;372319 said:
My squad would be:

B.Haurnstein (c) (SBCC)
C.Bambury (LCC)
D.Fanning (StJ)
D.Morgan (StJ)
N.Peterson (GRO)
D.Koliba (SBCC)
A.Fergusson (NG)
G.Talarico (GW)
S.Loftus (GW)
A.Cairns (BPH)
S.Anderson (W/K) (BPH)
B.Anderton (SBCC)
J.Miller (StABCC)
B.Tsistas (GRO)
T.Faulkhead (BPH)
B.Scown (NG)
M.Caulfield (EB)

strong squad !! but if last years team was known as the Dream Team, then what is this years going to be known as when it looks to be stronger again ??

I also believe B.Anderton has retired from representative cricket !!

SHANEBOURNEorWARNE;372319 said:
My squad would be:

B.Haurnstein (c) (SBCC)
C.Bambury (LCC)
D.Fanning (StJ)
D.Morgan (StJ)
N.Peterson (GRO)
D.Koliba (SBCC)
A.Fergusson (NG)
G.Talarico (GW)
S.Loftus (GW)
A.Cairns (BPH)
S.Anderson (W/K) (BPH)
B.Anderton (SBCC)
J.Miller (StABCC)
B.Tsistas (GRO)
T.Faulkhead (BPH)
B.Scown (NG)
M.Caulfield (EB)

strong squad !! but if last years team was known as the Dream Team, then what is this years going to be known as when it looks to be stronger again ??

I also believe B.Anderton has retired from representative cricket !!

C Bambury - Lara (C)
B Hauenstein - South Barwon
D Morgan - St Joeys
N Peterson - Grovedale
N Yates - Lara
D Fanning - St Joeys
S Illingworth - St Peters
A.Fergusson - North Geelong
G.Talarico - Geelong West
A.Cairns - Bell Post Hill
R Hassett - Bell Post Hill (WK)
S.Anderson Bell Post Hill - (WK)
J.Miller - St Albans
B.Tsistas - Grovedale
M Caulfield - E Belmon
T Faulkhead - Bell Post Hill
L Bentley - Thomson
B Scown - North Geelong
G Yelland - Grovedale

C Bambury - Lara (C)
D Morgan - St Joeys
N Peterson - Grovedale
N Yates - Lara
D Fanning - St Joeys
J.Miller - St Albans
B.Tsistas - Grovedale
M Caulfield - E Belmon
L Bentley - Thomson
B Scown - North Geelong
G Yelland - Grovedale

a for effort;372306 said:
I coached a side who played against Marshall U/15's a couple of seasons ago and there's definitely a lot of good kids coming through. Promising juniors don't make a successful club though, and it's going to be mighty tough to hang on to them if the 1sts are propping up the bottom of the ladder every season. It could be time for Marshall to throw some cash around and bring in 3-4 experienced 1sts players to help nurture the kids.

The club has certainly started to turn things around now on and off the field ( barring last 2 batting performances! ). Little things like 1st 11 players wearing club training gear to games and wearing correct gear out on the field whilst seems like a give to other clubs, has never been a priority at Marshall but now we have realised that if anything it gives us a more professional look and more respect from opposistion clubs.

We have a coach who's had alot of experience around Geelong and we've got another 3-4 older players who've been playing the game for along time, throw in a group of 23-24 year olds plus a few others aged 16-20 and the future looks pretty promosing.

We have 8 new players into the 1's this year and hopefully another quick bowler from Grovey if he's cleared this week and obviously it hasn't clicked yet. But we, as a club feel that when it does click, there's going to be a few sides in for a shock.

a for effort;372306 said:
I coached a side who played against Marshall U/15's a couple of seasons ago and there's definitely a lot of good kids coming through. Promising juniors don't make a successful club though, and it's going to be mighty tough to hang on to them if the 1sts are propping up the bottom of the ladder every season. It could be time for Marshall to throw some cash around and bring in 3-4 experienced 1sts players to help nurture the kids.

The club has certainly started to turn things around now on and off the field ( barring last 2 batting performances! ). Little things like 1st 11 players wearing club training gear to games and wearing correct gear out on the field whilst seems like a give to other clubs, has never been a priority at Marshall but now we have realised that if anything it gives us a more professional look and more respect from opposistion clubs.

We have a coach who's had alot of experience around Geelong and we've got another 3-4 older players who've been playing the game for along time, throw in a group of 23-24 year olds plus a few others aged 16-20 and the future looks pretty promosing.

We have 8 new players into the 1's this year and hopefully another quick bowler from Grovey if he's cleared this week and obviously it hasn't clicked yet. But we, as a club feel that when it does click, there's going to be a few sides in for a shock.

daniel_son_91;372047 said:
Marshall are one of the first that come to mind because they dont have a football club to prop them during the off season, another is Newcomb Bulls (BPCA).

I don't know whether it's always a great thing to have your cricket club linked to a footy club. Yes they tend to attract the council infrastructure dollars which the cricket club can piggy-back to a degree, and yes they can be handy for recruiting sometimes. But there's been plenty of instances over the years where the two sections don't get on or the cricket section gets screwed by the footy club. Not too many footy clubs regard the cricket section as their equal.

a for effort;372131 said:
As for demanding that teams merge, I can't see it being a good idea or one that will happen in the near future

Mergers have been threatened/suggested/encouraged for as long as I can remember, but apart from St Albans & Breakwater in the late 1970's or early 1980's, and Guild and St.Mary's in 1998, they haven't happened. Can't remember the circumstances regarding StA/B, but in the case of G/StM, both were struggling on-field and St Mary's were broke. Some other GCA clubs were fearful at the time that the G/StM merger would create a "super" club but that was not exactly an entirely accurate prediction. I wouldn't class Bell Park & Holy Family as a merger, rather a temporary 12-month name change. Only 4 or 5 Holy Family guys continued with Bell Park after the "merger".

No club will go down or up from div 2 and 3 if Corio or St Albans don't win the club championship. No hard wicket clubs can go up to div2.

Even aside from the obvious - that SABCC will comfortably top the GCA3 assessment - yes you are right; the GCA has effectively decided that, 12-18 months ago, although not really publicised at the time. We (Murghe) met with the GCA executive at our request after the 2007-08 season, and I now gather that if we hadn't laid the turf wicket proposal on the table at the time, we would not have maintained our GCA2 status once the ex-SLCA clubs became GCA3. Guild Saints would have stayed in GCA2 instead.

daniel_son_91;372047 said:
Marshall are one of the first that come to mind because they dont have a football club to prop them during the off season, another is Newcomb Bulls (BPCA).

I don't know whether it's always a great thing to have your cricket club linked to a footy club. Yes they tend to attract the council infrastructure dollars which the cricket club can piggy-back to a degree, and yes they can be handy for recruiting sometimes. But there's been plenty of instances over the years where the two sections don't get on or the cricket section gets screwed by the footy club. Not too many footy clubs regard the cricket section as their equal.

a for effort;372131 said:
As for demanding that teams merge, I can't see it being a good idea or one that will happen in the near future

Mergers have been threatened/suggested/encouraged for as long as I can remember, but apart from St Albans & Breakwater in the late 1970's or early 1980's, and Guild and St.Mary's in 1998, they haven't happened. Can't remember the circumstances regarding StA/B, but in the case of G/StM, both were struggling on-field and St Mary's were broke. Some other GCA clubs were fearful at the time that the G/StM merger would create a "super" club but that was not exactly an entirely accurate prediction. I wouldn't class Bell Park & Holy Family as a merger, rather a temporary 12-month name change. Only 4 or 5 Holy Family guys continued with Bell Park after the "merger".

No club will go down or up from div 2 and 3 if Corio or St Albans don't win the club championship. No hard wicket clubs can go up to div2.

Even aside from the obvious - that SABCC will comfortably top the GCA3 assessment - yes you are right; the GCA has effectively decided that, 12-18 months ago, although not really publicised at the time. We (Murghe) met with the GCA executive at our request after the 2007-08 season, and I now gather that if we hadn't laid the turf wicket proposal on the table at the time, we would not have maintained our GCA2 status once the ex-SLCA clubs became GCA3. Guild Saints would have stayed in GCA2 instead.

Look here;372348 said:
How very true this is, when you have a football club aligned with you they tend to think they can do as they like. Use the rooms/facilitys during the cricket season thus using water,power and making a mess. It might sound petty but the cricket side of things dont attract the same sort of financial support. It makes things difficult and you feel like your getting screwed all the time. Hell even the netball club do as they please and run activitys through the summer.

Look here;372348 said:
How very true this is, when you have a football club aligned with you they tend to think they can do as they like. Use the rooms/facilitys during the cricket season thus using water,power and making a mess. It might sound petty but the cricket side of things dont attract the same sort of financial support. It makes things difficult and you feel like your getting screwed all the time. Hell even the netball club do as they please and run activitys through the summer.

whatdoumeanwashe;372413 said:

that is not necessarily a bad thing is it ?? :D

that is not necessarily a bad thing is it ?? :D

Hell even the netball club do as they please and run activitys through the summer.

winchelsea's netballers are the spectacle of playing GDFL. no sarcasm there are some absolute stunners in your A Grade side.

Hell even the netball club do as they please and run activitys through the summer.

winchelsea's netballers are the spectacle of playing GDFL. no sarcasm there are some absolute stunners in your A Grade side.

daniel_son_91;372512 said:

Agreed, the highlight of the ropadtrip to Winch in the footy season is definitely the A Graders.
I work with their netball president and I know all the goss ;-)

daniel_son_91;372512 said:

Agreed, the highlight of the ropadtrip to Winch in the footy season is definitely the A Graders.

thommy_rissole;372587 said:

They do get loose when there's a footy function on i must admit that. they go harder then the fellas:D

thommy_rissole;372587 said:

They do get loose when there's a footy function on i must admit that. they go harder then the fellas:D

a for effort;372680 said:
POLL: Should thread be retitled to: 'Geelong Cricket and Winchelsea Netballers Chat 09/10'?

ill second that motion, in the name of Wing Attack from the semi final..

a for effort;372680 said:
POLL: Should thread be retitled to: 'Geelong Cricket and Winchelsea Netballers Chat 09/10'?

ill second that motion, in the name of Wing Attack from the semi final..

daniel_son_91;372335 said:
C Bambury - Lara (C)
D Morgan - St Joeys
N Peterson - Grovedale
N Yates - Lara
D Fanning - St Joeys
J.Miller - St Albans
B.Tsistas - Grovedale
M Caulfield - E Belmon
L Bentley - Thomson
B Scown - North Geelong
G Yelland - Grovedale

Doesn't keep anymore but worth having in the side for batting

daniel_son_91;372335 said:
C Bambury - Lara (C)
D Morgan - St Joeys
N Peterson - Grovedale
N Yates - Lara
D Fanning - St Joeys
J.Miller - St Albans
B.Tsistas - Grovedale
M Caulfield - E Belmon
L Bentley - Thomson
B Scown - North Geelong
G Yelland - Grovedale

Watching Closely;373014 said:

yet probably still better than all current keepers. no disrespect intended to all current keepers, but he does keep up to anyone at any pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back