Geelong Cricket Chat 09/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Geelong Cricket Chat 09/10

and the GCA (geelong comedy amatuers) continue there jokes. why the hell would you not at least send some official notice out to all clubs in writing so as to avoid any situations. that might make sense, better not do that.:confused:

Look here;373488 said:
The GCA2 Fourths is currently a very confused situation. Renny is correct - 2 weeks ago Murghe had all 11 4ths players at the ground well before the start of play (a surprise in itself) and at 1.00pm there was no-one from St Peter's there. When Hodgey (who was captaining the Saints) turned up, he was disbelieving that it wasn't a 2-day game. A look at the MyCricket draw didn't make the situation much clearer as the 1sts/2nds/3rds draw had been cut and pasted for the 4ths and only amended for the round about to take place to show it as a one-dayer, and nothing was shown for the following 2 or 3 Saturdays, probably leading some who saw it to believe it indeed was a 2-day comp.

Last season the majority of GCA2 clubs requested 4ths be all 40-over 1-dayers after being given this option by the GCA, but this was on the eve of the season start so the GCA rulebook didn't reflect this. I don't recall this being canvassed with the clubs before this season - the GCA obviously assumed clubs would in turn assume it would be a 1-day comp but as evidenced by St Peter's, not all clubs came to the same conclusion. I don't think there has been definitive declaration by the GCA about this season's 4ths comp - it is just an implicit "understanding" (yes, dangerous, I know) based on last season, that the games would be 40 overs, not 50 (but the rule book has not been amended).

Confused!

P.S. Well done Renny on Sunday - pity you were not there to savour the moment!

So, I'm glad I'm not going mad and read the rule book correct......everyone should be playing 50 overs in the divy 2 4th's....glad ya cleared that up...I think. Well they better get on top of this asap, because it makes the GCA look silly!!!!!!

What ever happened too, if it's not in writing (rule book) then it doesn't exist.

Look here;373488 said:
The GCA2 Fourths is currently a very confused situation. Renny is correct - 2 weeks ago Murghe had all 11 4ths players at the ground well before the start of play (a surprise in itself) and at 1.00pm there was no-one from St Peter's there. When Hodgey (who was captaining the Saints) turned up, he was disbelieving that it wasn't a 2-day game. A look at the MyCricket draw didn't make the situation much clearer as the 1sts/2nds/3rds draw had been cut and pasted for the 4ths and only amended for the round about to take place to show it as a one-dayer, and nothing was shown for the following 2 or 3 Saturdays, probably leading some who saw it to believe it indeed was a 2-day comp.

Last season the majority of GCA2 clubs requested 4ths be all 40-over 1-dayers after being given this option by the GCA, but this was on the eve of the season start so the GCA rulebook didn't reflect this. I don't recall this being canvassed with the clubs before this season - the GCA obviously assumed clubs would in turn assume it would be a 1-day comp but as evidenced by St Peter's, not all clubs came to the same conclusion. I don't think there has been definitive declaration by the GCA about this season's 4ths comp - it is just an implicit "understanding" (yes, dangerous, I know) based on last season, that the games would be 40 overs, not 50 (but the rule book has not been amended).

Confused!

P.S. Well done Renny on Sunday - pity you were not there to savour the moment!

So, I'm glad I'm not going mad and read the rule book correct......everyone should be playing 50 overs in the divy 2 4th's....glad ya cleared that up...I think. Well they better get on top of this asap, because it makes the GCA look silly!!!!!!

What ever happened too, if it's not in writing (rule book) then it doesn't exist.

ants14;373327 said:
ill just add about the drop catches. one bloke made 128, i dropped him on a duck then wighty dropped him on about 70. another bloke made 108, janssen dropped him on 40. dropped catches cost us.

Sorry for the delayed response lads. It was a cracking game from a spectator's point of view; 3 tons, a 5 for and a couple of twists but nonetheless disappointing for us to lose. Ants is right, easy catches cost us when you consider that they had only two decent bats and the third top score after two tons was 9 not out. Mills hit the ball out of the middle from ball one and his 133 was one of the best tons you could see; and from a bloke who was yet to make one in senior cricket. Jayden Hicks, Matt Slater and Jono Casey also played superb support roles. Andrew Ross's first spell of raw pace, Lachy Inglis' neat keeping and Timmy Wight's inspired bowling at the death when he returned consecutive double-wicket maidens to finish with 5/32 also a first class performance. Great effort but that's now it for another year. Young Sam Farnsworth has also been chosen in the senior Country Week squad.

ants14;373327 said:
ill just add about the drop catches. one bloke made 128, i dropped him on a duck then wighty dropped him on about 70. another bloke made 108, janssen dropped him on 40. dropped catches cost us.

Sorry for the delayed response lads. It was a cracking game from a spectator's point of view; 3 tons, a 5 for and a couple of twists but nonetheless disappointing for us to lose. Ants is right, easy catches cost us when you consider that they had only two decent bats and the third top score after two tons was 9 not out. Mills hit the ball out of the middle from ball one and his 133 was one of the best tons you could see; and from a bloke who was yet to make one in senior cricket. Jayden Hicks, Matt Slater and Jono Casey also played superb support roles. Andrew Ross's first spell of raw pace, Lachy Inglis' neat keeping and Timmy Wight's inspired bowling at the death when he returned consecutive double-wicket maidens to finish with 5/32 also a first class performance. Great effort but that's now it for another year. Young Sam Farnsworth has also been chosen in the senior Country Week squad.

Renny24;373705 said:

wrong wrong wrong.... Rossy doesnt have raw pace he bowls a good line. Tim Wight bowled fantastic later on but wasnt particularly dangerous early on and Lachlan Inglis keeping loooked 2nd rate, especially since he told a teammate or two he has NEVER kept to a spin bowler in senior cricket, i think he let through about 20 byes.

Renny24;373705 said:

wrong wrong wrong.... Rossy doesnt have raw pace he bowls a good line. Tim Wight bowled fantastic later on but wasnt particularly dangerous early on and Lachlan Inglis keeping loooked 2nd rate, especially since he told a teammate or two he has NEVER kept to a spin bowler in senior cricket, i think he let through about 20 byes.

Renny24;373705 said:

:| .... Rossy doesnt really have raw pace but he bowls a good line as consistent as anyone. Tim Wight bowled fantastic. but in the end the fielding effort made the team look average at best.. 3 dropped catches and a very very ordinary keeping effort.. why Chris Strods didnt keep is so far beyond me, he really is a good wicketkeeper.

Renny24;373705 said:

:| .... Rossy doesnt really have raw pace but he bowls a good line as consistent as anyone. Tim Wight bowled fantastic. but in the end the fielding effort made the team look average at best.. 3 dropped catches and a very very ordinary keeping effort.. why Chris Strods didnt keep is so far beyond me, he really is a good wicketkeeper.

daniel_son_91;373723 said:

Inglis was the overwhelming choice as keeper. He took a cracking low diving catch for the second wicket. Strods had enough on his plate with opening the batting and captaining the side. Disagree with Ross. His natural pace due to his action is teriffic and he is just learning how to convert it into consistent line and length.

Inglis was the overwhelming choice as keeper. He took a cracking low diving catch for the second wicket. Strods had enough on his plate with opening the batting and captaining the side. Disagree with Ross. His natural pace due to his action is teriffic and he is just learning how to convert it into consistent line and length.

Sorry Boof I'LL have to agree with Renny on a couple of points. Young Rossy is a natural fast bowler learning the game, I was very impressed with him when playing against him and he does have raw speed which will only develop further as he gets bigger and stronger. I do agree with you that Strods should have kept, by far one of the better keepers around. I don't believe that opening the bat & Captain would be too much on his plate. Keepers concentrate every ball and is a great place to captain from. In rep teams if ya the best keeper, then keep, simple really.:)

All that being said, should have could have, A fantasic effort by all the lads very proud of you guys...Geelong has some brilliant players coming through including young lads that didn't play in the rockets side, so keep it up and keep moving forward, grab ya chance when it comes. :D

Sorry Boof I'LL have to agree with Renny on a couple of points. Young Rossy is a natural fast bowler learning the game, I was very impressed with him when playing against him and he does have raw speed which will only develop further as he gets bigger and stronger. I do agree with you that Strods should have kept, by far one of the better keepers around. I don't believe that opening the bat & Captain would be too much on his plate. Keepers concentrate every ball and is a great place to captain from. In rep teams if ya the best keeper, then keep, simple really.:)

All that being said, should have could have, A fantasic effort by all the lads very proud of you guys...Geelong has some brilliant players coming through including young lads that didn't play in the rockets side, so keep it up and keep moving forward, grab ya chance when it comes. :D

Renny24;373760 said:

Inglis struggled with the spinners up to the stumps (hasn't kept to spin for 3 years) but his glovework to the quicks was second to none, took some great catches off his shoe laces. Having played with Strods I can comfortably say they are on a par keeping wise and the decision to give Inglis the gloves was the right one.

If anyone saw Rossy's 1st spell on sunday they would know what I'm talking about, the young fella has some serious talent. Was swinging it in and cutting it away at pace on a wicket dubbed a batsmens paradise. When he realises what he can do with the ball, look out batsmen.

Renny24;373760 said:

Inglis struggled with the spinners up to the stumps (hasn't kept to spin for 3 years) but his glovework to the quicks was second to none, took some great catches off his shoe laces. Having played with Strods I can comfortably say they are on a par keeping wise and the decision to give Inglis the gloves was the right one.

If anyone saw Rossy's 1st spell on sunday they would know what I'm talking about, the young fella has some serious talent. Was swinging it in and cutting it away at pace on a wicket dubbed a batsmens paradise. When he realises what he can do with the ball, look out batsmen.

Any 20/20 results?

South Barwon beat A.T pretty comfortably tonight @ A.T.
Was actually boring for a 20/20 game!!

AT all out for 80ish in their 20 overs, South got them with a few overs left at a gentle pace after a pretty shaky start. Koliba 50 odd N.O

Any 20/20 results?

South Barwon beat A.T pretty comfortably tonight @ A.T.
Was actually boring for a 20/20 game!!

AT all out for 80ish in their 20 overs, South got them with a few overs left at a gentle pace after a pretty shaky start. Koliba 50 odd N.O

Another "wicket in the ninth over" at Little River today, in the 7ths comp. C'mon scorers, it isn't that hard to yell out when you see the same guy about to bowl again.

No dramas fortunately. First ball of a bowler's 9th over; the guy was recalled and ended up being LRCC's top scorer, and not out at innings close.

Another "wicket in the ninth over" at Little River today, in the 7ths comp. C'mon scorers, it isn't that hard to yell out when you see the same guy about to bowl again.

No dramas fortunately. First ball of a bowler's 9th over; the guy was recalled and ended up being LRCC's top scorer, and not out at innings close.

LH, Murgheboluc ever consider or still considering changing it's name? The 'Murgheboluc' tag seems inappropriate and irrelevant now. Similar to the Geelong Cement-Manifold Heights issue.

LH, Murgheboluc ever consider or still considering changing it's name? The 'Murgheboluc' tag seems inappropriate and irrelevant now. Similar to the Geelong Cement-Manifold Heights issue.

Renny24;374304 said:
Wat would they think of changing it to.... Shannon Park??

Renny24;374304 said:
Wat would they think of changing it to.... Shannon Park??

Renny24;374304 said:

our 17s played murghe yesty, and i was scoring with some of their players, and they were talking about some of those very things. Barwon, and Ballyang were some names that come up, but they were all pretty keen on keeping the nickname frogs

Renny24;374304 said:

our 17s played murghe yesty, and i was scoring with some of their players, and they were talking about some of those very things. Barwon, and Ballyang were some names that come up, but they were all pretty keen on keeping the nickname frogs

City made 226 against Joeys. Should have made more but the Joeys spinners bowled well after break and steadily made their way through the city middle order. It looked like Scott Lindsay batted solidly and was quite a few not out at the end.

City made 226 against Joeys. Should have made more but the Joeys spinners bowled well after break and steadily made their way through the city middle order. It looked like Scott Lindsay batted solidly and was quite a few not out at the end.

Renny is spot on here, there is not one thing murgheboluc about the frogs anymore, joke really that its not changed. Having said that it is very difficuilt to get majority of members to change something they are proud of. its like the sydney swans still being called sth melbourne.

Renny is spot on here, there is not one thing murgheboluc about the frogs anymore, joke really that its not changed. Having said that it is very difficuilt to get majority of members to change something they are proud of. its like the sydney swans still being called sth melbourne.

Well long day in the field Saturday after loosing the toss.

Bell Park batting on east coppards road were never troubled by the medium pace attack of the Dino's. the only time the ball really hit the keepers gloves was when they let it go. Bell Park batters never gave a chance, played there shots and scored at will on a very fast outfield. All the young kids at Bell park batted well and deserved the final score.

Dino's will need to bring their best batting game next week and if we don't then we'll face the consquences. If we play at our best we'll give it a pretty good shake and win.

Well done Bell Park but watch out next week and unlike Guild if there is any interuption due to weather (Unlikely) we'll make sure every effort is made to get the game started asap. You won't find us with our thumb up our butts doing nothing just because we are chasing 300+.:eek:

Well long day in the field Saturday after loosing the toss.

Bell Park batting on east coppards road were never troubled by the medium pace attack of the Dino's. the only time the ball really hit the keepers gloves was when they let it go. Bell Park batters never gave a chance, played there shots and scored at will on a very fast outfield. All the young kids at Bell park batted well and deserved the final score.

Dino's will need to bring their best batting game next week and if we don't then we'll face the consquences. If we play at our best we'll give it a pretty good shake and win.

Well done Bell Park but watch out next week and unlike Guild if there is any interuption due to weather (Unlikely) we'll make sure every effort is made to get the game started asap. You won't find us with our thumb up our butts doing nothing just because we are chasing 300+.:eek:

crktluva;374358 said:

Why is it a joke? Why should anyone outside the club care what it is called? Tradition is not always a bad thing. Even though now the cricket club has no identification with the area, it did for nearly 70 years and would (IMO) be disrespectful to change.

Renny referred to the Cement/Manifold situation but in that case I think the club formerly known as Geelong Cement would have been keen to put some distance between them and their previous benefactor once they could no longer play at the Cement Works.

Still plenty of other non-suburban club names floating around the GCA as well as Murghe.

crktluva;374358 said:

Why is it a joke? Why should anyone outside the club care what it is called? Tradition is not always a bad thing. Even though now the cricket club has no identification with the area, it did for nearly 70 years and would (IMO) be disrespectful to change.

Renny referred to the Cement/Manifold situation but in that case I think the club formerly known as Geelong Cement would have been keen to put some distance between them and their previous benefactor once they could no longer play at the Cement Works.

Still plenty of other non-suburban club names floating around the GCA as well as Murghe.

Look here;374452 said:

Are any of those clubs based at least 20kms away from where there club name suggests?

Look here;374452 said:

Are any of those clubs based at least 20kms away from where there club name suggests?

Look here;374452 said:

which clubs?

Look here;374452 said:

which clubs?

university changed to waurn ponds "location waurn ponds"
cement changed to manifold heights "location manifold heights"
sth melb changed to sydney "location sydney"
fitzroy lions changed to brisbane lions "location brisbane"

murghebuloc have not changed "location, not murgheboluc"

thats y its a joke, i understand the history and reluctance to change due to past players being unhappy, but its no longer their club, you move away from the area and there are no links to the area, you change names, thats why it seems silly to all others who dont play there as well as a fair few that still do. coming up with another name wont be easy but murgheboluc doesnt suit anymore in my opinion. Cmon guys lets come up with a new name for the frogs. BELMONT FROGS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back