General level of fitness...from home.

s_ossy

General level of fitness...from home.

Liz, maybe you could help...
A week ago i had a jaw operation and now have jaws wired together. Can't chew for 4 weeks so living on nutrition shakes. I've lost quite a bit of weight and my muscles are wasting away! I was wondering if you had any ideas of home exercises that i could do for a couple of weeks just to get some strength back and a general level of fitness?
I mainly have use of a swiss ball and resistance band. I'll be resuming cricket in the new year again, towards the end of Jan. But at this rate, the wind is going to blow me over!
Any ideas will be appreciated... just to gently get back to health! Thanks!

Re: General level of fitness...from home.

Oh Sossy [sorry, habit], I am so sorry to hear this; I hope you are feeling well now.

Other than your jaw, are you active and are there any activities you have been asked to refrain from?

Also, are your shakes home made or packets?

Thanks so much for your help. I can resume normal activities in about a week. My shakes are Nestle Nutren Activ. Will start with a few strength exercises before i do anything too adventurous. Thanks again for your help :)

s_ossy said:
Thanks so much for your help. I can resume normal activities in about a week. My shakes are Nestle Nutren Activ. Will start with a few strength exercises before i do anything too adventurous. Thanks again for your help :)

How are things going? If you get a chance, let me know how you found the Cricket Specific Programme. If you have not tried it yet, remember, you can use a couple of filled water bottles if you do not have or wish to use weights.

If you are still struggling with a lot of solid food do try David's shake:

http://www.harrowdrive.com/is-there-a-magic-bullet-to-fast-cricket-nutrition/

KF, you could make these sessions a lot more cricket specific by turning them into interval runs:

If you wish to do this on a treadmill, start with a warm up [say] 8 mins to slowly increase the intensity.
Once you reach 70-80% MHR, pace steady for 2 mins then increase the intensity to 80-90% MHR for 1 min. Bring the intensity down again to 70-80% MHR for 2 mins.
Repeat until you can increase no more then bring the intensity down slowly for [say] 8 mins.

If you can get out, the following was used by the 1994 England World Cup Cricket Squad:

4 mins jog;
3 mins steady run;
2 mins jog;
3 mins steady (to include 1 x 50m fast burst every 30 secs);
2 mins jog;
3 mins steady ( to include 1 x 20m sprint every 30 secs)'
2 mins jog;
2 mins fast;
4 mins jog.

The bursts of speed match the distance, intensities and duration associated with demands made during a cricket game; bowler run-up, running between wickets etc.

If you can get somebody to help you by mixing the combination around (like Dad ;)) this will make it a good Fartlek session.

Sorry for the delayed response - had an issue with the shift key last night, and what not.....

Anyway I'll try and incorporate the above into the plan. Maybe go half and half, between those interval runs above and endurance work. Surely if I have a higher level of fitness through endurance, my concentration should improve?

Start with half and half and progress. Sounds like a physiological goal :D You can work on it at the same time as your bleep test.

I'm finally back on track after jaw op! :cool

Liz and David, I've been slowly trying to get my fitness up after being out of it for about 2months! Need to check if I'm on the right track though.
I've started running every 2 days, 1.6km and have been completing it in about 9-10min. (There's a big hill to get up!!) I don't want to make it much longer because I will lose interest too quickly! Would rather get progressively faster rather than making it endurance which won't help my cricket as much. Is this right?
In terms of strength,
Resistance band exercises, press ups, plank, crunches.
Is this adequate just to get up to a better level of fitness and maintain it?

Hi S ossy,

Really pleased to hear you're back; its good to hear from you again.

It sounds like you are doing fine to get back to fitness but you will need to progress after a few weeks. Follow the four week programme David passed on and also the cricket specific weight programme I sent you, using water bottles or baked bean cans.

Keep us informed of your progress.

Thanks Liz, will keep you updated. Motivation is a bit better this year!!

Back