Group Stages Chat

mas cambios

Group Stages Chat

Use this for all the chat, intrigue, debate, thrills, spills and boundaries from the group stages!

As a reminder the groups are as follows:

Group A
Pakistan (1)
Bangladesh (8)
Australia (9)

Group B
Sri Lanka (2)
New Zealand (7)
Zimbabwe (10)

Group C

South Africa (3)
India (6)
Afghanistan (11)

Group D

West Indies (4)
England (5)
Ireland (12)

Seeding in (brackets)

Groups are interesting enough, all eyes on the underdogs as the Afghan are capable of pulling off a shock!

Re: Group Stages Chat

Poor Australia, in the toughest group again, they couldnt beat the minnows last time around and might struggle again

Then again as long as they continue with their pathetic selection choices they will probably never advance out of the group stages

I would expect Afghanistan to make the 2nd round after winning both group matches, the India v South Africa chokedown should be entertaining

Ireland and Zimbabwe wont challenge anyone so those 2 groups should see the top sides go through without any trouble

Group A: though seemingly obvious, is actually anyone's guess. Australia generally fail at Twenty20 tournaments (which is one of the reasons why I like T20 cricket :D) so Bangladesh might have a chance, though their hopes lie entirely with Tamim Iqbal who belted our lot around in Dhaka last month. Pakistan should make it through but they had their troubles in Australia too.

Group B: Having seen a bit of the West Indies/Zimbabwe series, I think it is fair to say that the standard of cricket shown by Zimbabwe is lower than English Division 2 County Cricket. Seriously, even my Surrey team would have trouble losing to them. Sri Lanka and New Zealand are dead certs.

Group C: Afghanistan are here to make up the numbers. No one, except Australia and super Graeme Swann, can live with India and South Africa's batting line-ups and Afghanistan won't have a snowball's chance in hell against either of them.

Group D: I'm sure England will find some way to make this seemingly easy group hard. Ireland to advance over the piss-poor Windies, too.

Don't go throwing the West Indies out. They haven't had the best of times lately in any form of the game (that's an understatement), but the players in that squad definitely throw up that unpredictability.

Some of the worlds best, especially at T20, are in there so I can see them getting through and offering some trouble to some of the better teams.

Whoever rights the Windies off as a genuine force at home knows very little about cricket.

Australia should easily account for Pakistan and Bangladesh; even on the low and slow wickets in the West Indies, the Pakistan and Bangladesh batsmen will not be to keen on getting in line with the ball.

England probably have the hardest group; the West Indies can fire at any time and Ireland will lift against England.

Very funny post, I do like how you completely eliminate Pakistan from having any hope despite the fact they are the no1 ranked team in the world and been in both finals so far :)

Then again being an Australia the rankings are probably best ignored with Australia at no8 and England at 4 :D :D

Group C is definitely going to be the best group. India and South Africa are both known as chokers when it comes to tournaments, now we get to see the go against each other in the epitome of choking - T20.

After that we get to see which of the two will suffer the worst against Afghanistan. Neither will lose, but I think the Afghanis will have their 5 minutes of fame with something spectacular.

eddiesmith;396085 said:
Very funny post, I do like how you completely eliminate Pakistan from having any hope despite the fact they are the no1 ranked team in the world and been in both finals so far :)

Then again being an Australia the rankings are probably best ignored with Australia at no8 and England at 4 :D :D

Compared to this below, my work looks like a PhD.

Poor Australia, in the toughest group again, they couldnt beat the minnows last time around and might struggle again

Then again as long as they continue with their pathetic selection choices they will probably never advance out of the group stages

I would expect Afghanistan to make the 2nd round after winning both group matches, the India v South Africa chokedown should be entertaining

I've been lurking here for a while and I do have to say that you bore me silly.

Get over the Australian obsession and actually post something worthwhile.

I like the look of the groups, something for everyone in most of them. Twenty20 can and will provide shocks - Ireland could well do the West Indies. If Gayle fails then that puts pressure on a notoriously flakey batting line up.

Pakistan will also be looking to put the recent turmoils behind them, expect a big showing!

It's really too early in T20 history to be able to predict much. The Netherlands beat England last year, so tactics are still pretty low. In 20 years time it would be expected that results can become a little more fixed and predictable, at the moment T20 still looks very short and very unpredictable.

These World Cups are just a mixed bag of goodies currently.

The group seedings are very interesting indeed and dont really leave much that is "blatently" obvious except maybe group b.

Group A
Pakistan (1)
Bangladesh (8)
Australia (9)
I have to say I'm not realyl sure at all who to pick here, i'm tempted to side with Pakistan and australia but it is a brilliant group
Group B
Sri Lanka (2)
New Zealand (7)
Zimbabwe (10)
I Personally cannot see much hope for Zimbabwe with all the problems of late and can't decide between sri lanka and NZ for the top spot, because NZ have a good all round team, and SL have the brilliant all round team as well, although the SL bowlers just pip it for me, although neither teams stars have been shining in the IPL.
Group C
South Africa (3)
India (6)
Afghanistan (11)
Well SA are my tournament pick for winners, and india have such a good stage for bringing t20 players through, so I have to say Afghanistan will go out, however I wish them all the best of luck!
Group D
West Indies (4)
England (5)
Ireland (12)
Well, anything can happen here.
Ireland did brilliantly last time, England slipped up vs holland before, its anyones group, I HOPE / BEG that england dont make a hash up against Ireland, however Its still anyones group. Also england have to play Ireland the DAY AFTER playing WI, whilst ireland will have had 5 days rest, which may make it interesting

I rate Afghanistan better than either Ireland or Zimbabwe at present. They'll still get flogged though - I reckon they'd trade places with any team at all in that draw.

Zimbabwe may seem stronger than expected though, beating the Windies is nothing special currently, but it still doesn't happen that often.

Has Afghanistan played any of these teams? I'm not familiar with their journey so far.

Afghanistan won the Associates' qualifying tournament, beating Ireland by a handful of runs in the group stage and then flogging them pretty comprehensively in the final.

Caesar;396712 said:
Afghanistan won the Associates' qualifying tournament, beating Ireland by a handful of runs in the group stage and then flogging them pretty comprehensively in the final.

So they haven't as yet played Bangladesh or Zimbabwe?

Back