Group Stages Chat

Re: Group Stages Chat

Caesar;399014 said:
Just wait til the World Cup next month. Those vuvazelas are going to make you wish you lived in a steel drum.

Are they like those air horn tubes? They had them in the AFL in the early 90s and they only lasted a hand full of games before they were banned thank god. At the ground it's even worse worse than on TV if you can believe that..

Kram81;399009 said:
Good all round performance from Australia in their win over Pakistan.

Is anyone else getting pissed off by all the crap musical instruments being played in the background?

I like all the drums and horns in the background, that sounds like West Indian cricket to me. The spectators dance around to it. Why would you want it to be like a Lord's test match?

Excellent performance from the Aussies with the bat. It will be harder for the quicks at smaller grounds but they did well overall.

I'd like to commend Michael Clarke's captaincy, playing a duff shot after three balls was highly satisfactory as a performance from him as the other batsmen could play more freely without the pressure of him nurdling for glory at the other end.

That five wicket over was funneeeeeee. Tait did his best to make it five in five but couldn't quite nick it.

India over South Africa as well.

India, South Africa, New Zealand and Australia and maybe the Windies are pretty much through now.

The minnows were hyped up before the tournament started and have done nothing thus far. Ireland and Afghanistand were comprehensively thrashed and Bangladesh didn't do much against Pakistan. Will be interesting to see how Zimbabwe go tonight but none of them look like causing an upset at this point.

Ljp86;399040 said:
The minnows were hyped up before the tournament started and have done nothing thus far. Ireland and Afghanistand were comprehensively thrashed and Bangladesh didn't do much against Pakistan. Will be interesting to see how Zimbabwe go tonight but none of them look like causing an upset at this point.

Afghanistan are in a tough group, and I think they weren't embarrassed like Ireland was. They put up a quite a strong fight against India. Nowhere near a win, but they played quite well given the circumstances and their first T20I of any real meaning.

Zimbabwe look the only ones who can do anything now. Good form so far at least.

Dhoni spoke well of Aghanistan which was good to hear. They are as keen as mustard and it is wonderful that they have managed to get this far so quickly. It's all positives for them and for cricket in the wider sense.

Aghanistan looked like setting a great foundation but fell into the trap of trying to smash everything out of the park once the main partnership broke and they fell in a heap, could have easily added another 20 or so runs and put some pressure on India

Boris;399042 said:
Afghanistan are in a tough group, and I think they weren't embarrassed like Ireland was. They put up a quite a strong fight against India. Nowhere near a win, but they played quite well given the circumstances and their first T20I of any real meaning.

Zimbabwe look the only ones who can do anything now. Good form so far at least.

I disagree, they were beaten by seven wickets and India had five overs to spare. That's a fairly comprehensive loss in my opinion, especially as it's a Twenty20 game.

Sri Lanka scored 7/173 against Zimbabwe batting first. Jayawardene made 100, Perera made 23 but Chamara Kapugedera was the only other batter to make double figures compiling a very quick 13.

Ray Price and Greg Lamb took two wickets each in a Zimbabwe attack which comprised four spinners out of six bowlers.

In reply, Zimbabwe are 0/4 from one over and it is now hammering down with rain. If no further play is possible, both teams will score one point and the final place in the group will come down to Zimbabwe's game against New Zealand.

And play will restart shortly. Match reduced to 11 overs, four bowlers can bowl 2 overs, one bowler can bowl 3 overs.

Remember, Zimbabwe only need to face five overs to guarantee a result being achieved and with no wickets lost so far the Duckworth-Lewis calculation should be favourable towards them.

Zimbabwe's new target is 104 so 100 more runs are required with 10 overs remaining. Gettable but fairly tough, surely Chigumbura will be promoted to three to blast them early. Only two more overs of powerplay as well.

Oh dear, Masakadza is run out. Taibu dabbed one to third man and wanted two immediately. He turned and came back only to meet Masakadza at the striker's end who then makes a half-hearted attempt to make his ground but Malinga whips a bail off and Masakadza is miles out.

1/15 after 3 overs, Brendan Taylor the new man in who has a hefty average of 38.33 in this format.

The newly elected Sri Lankan MP's (Sanath Jayasuriya) over goes for eight runs, Zimbabwe are 1/23 after four overs with rain in the air again. Sri Lanka will want to hustle through the 5th over quickly.

They get through the over from Randiv who is on debut, only six off it so it was a good one. 1/29 from five overs and we now have a game, Zimbabwe needed to be 43 at the end of the over so Sri Lanka are in front at the moment as the rain continues to fall.

And play has now stopped as the rain is now falling quite hard. Still only five overs bowled so Sri Lanka will thank their lucky stars they got that 5th over in from Randiv. If there is no further play, they will win by 14 runs.

Zimbabwe should have sent in Chigumbura at three as Taylor has 11 off 11 and Taibu 12 from 13 balls.

Unfortunately the rain came and Zimbabwe lost due to messrs Duckworth and Lewis. I agree Chigumbura should have gone at the fall of the first wicket and also the Zimbabwe batsmen should have made a greater effort at run scoring. I got the ieea that they thought they would get all 11 overs to face and not just the 5 that constitutes a match.

England looked to have scored a match winning total against the host. The top order all got in the act and Morgan and Wright went big numerous times. I hope I dont put the mockers on them but the English look a pretty solid side and could be a dark horse to win the tournament. Currently the game is delayed due to rain and messrs Duckworth and Lewis might get some more action.

Wow... five over international cricket games. 10 years ago would have said that day would never come.

Apparently there are more storms/showers around the WI so it looks like we will have some more shortened games tonight.

Back