How Do You Train?

Discussion in 'Spin Bowling' started by TonyM, Jun 24, 2015.

Put it out there
  1. TonyM

TonyM Member

2. Liz Ward

Liz Ward Well-Known Member

3. CaptainBalrog

CaptainBalrog New Member

I think my accuracy is so poor it would just annoy an actual batsman!

When i practice i start of 2/3 length and bowl off one step.

Once i feel comfortable i can land the ball in front of the stumps and turn it i go to full length.

Then i start to bowl with my run up. Four bouncy steps is all it is. Takes me ages to get any accuracy once i start to run up.

Loads of balls pitching outside leg.

Eventually it all clicks into place and i can bowl a half decent spell.

This is the most frustrating thing about leg spin. I regress so quickly between net sessions.

I'm new where so i cant post questions, but if anyone is reading this i have an issue i've not seen mentioned here.

I only started bowling in the nets recently at my local club and when i do i have to really concentrate to avoid tossing the ball up into the roof. That's the focus of my practice at the minute. Trying to bowl flatter. Should i be doing that though? I feel like I'm not giving it any flight or bounce now.

Also, surely it's important to watch plenty of cricket on tv and listen to the analysis to develop a good understanding of how to bowl in different conditions and against different kinds of batsmen. Maybe that's just what i want my wife to believe!

4. SLA

SLA Active Member

If you actually watch good quality spin bowlers (whether pro's or just good amateurs) the ball does NOT go significantly upwards after leaving their hand. Most "flighted" deliveries at pro standard don't actually ever really get above head height. If you're hitting the roof of the net you're bowling far, far, far too slow and loopy, even for low level amateur cricket.

Watching cricket on tv is important, but be aware that 90% of what commentators say is complete and utter ****************. If you have a specific question, you're better off asking some of the qualified coaches on this or similar websites, at least they know what they're talking about.

Put it out there