how to bat for spin bowling

Re: how to bat for spin bowling

Yeah but with backyard cricket - it's fast turn around, so yeah I can see that they'd get a bit miffed. I love backyard cricket - have you seen the rules on wikipedia for it - must have been written by one of you lot uses words like Tucker. It's worth having a look at because it's so funny.

i don't bat often even though i have a few shots (mostly back foot because im tall) and i find at club level against club legspinners (nt the pros in 1sts) that if u get a really big stride in, especially if your tall, poor legspinners go into there shell and start dropping it short and then like me if your better of the back foot they give you nice long hops to pull and cut. They usually then will start over compensating and cow corner comes into play when they chuck it right up.
To off spinners i just try stay as tall as i can so the top spinners dnt feel as if there doing a huge lot and bat with bat and pad close together so they can't get through, and very few close fielders at our level will realisticly take sharp catches.

There is no hope for batsmen i am afraid against these tricksters. EOW, I think as dave said they have no hope. If they use their feet they are stumped, if they stay in their crease it is edged/lbw/bowled. Might as well they give up.

I went to the nets once last year, and as i had never played before they gave me some easy throw downs first. Then I progressed to a 61 year old offspinner that seemed to be bowling innoccuos slow motion deliveries. Funnily enough I could not middle one of them. It seemed so effortless on his part. I now know what they mean having a ball tied on a string, wherever you think the ball would pitch it seems the bowler pulls it back by this invisible string. This gentleman plays for the national side in some third division of europe's ICC. He also seems to pick 2 to 3 wickets per match in the 20/20 matches. He has real class. The captain is a leg spinner but they spared me further blushes. He only bowled throwdowns to me and told me with a grin not bad for the first time. Next time we will try to bowl at you, and not give you throwdowns. Told you there is no hope against the spinners.

Do you play the ball after it spins or before it spins? This may sound a daft question but i always tend to play the ball before it spins and i miss it altogether even when i get my foot to it it seems the ball spins off from the pitch too fast for me to get my bat to it.

I'm no expert but I find that in the nets with our off-spinners I stand as far forward as I dare to (out of the crease) and then as they're about to bowl it I then step back into the crease and follow it in and then move further back still and hit off the back foot with plenty of space to watch it come in. If it's fuller ball after the initial step back hit as it bounces or before it bounces. But it just might be that our off-spinners are not that good. Our wrist spinner it's a different story - if it's a wrist spinner you've got no hope you just have to cross your fingers and go for broke - you're always going to lose no matter who you are.

phil2oo8;344610 said:
i don't bat often even though i have a few shots (mostly back foot because im tall) and i find at club level against club legspinners (nt the pros in 1sts) that if u get a really big stride in, especially if your tall, poor legspinners go into there shell and start dropping it short and then like me if your better of the back foot they give you nice long hops to pull and cut. They usually then will start over compensating and cow corner comes into play when they chuck it right up.
To off spinners i just try stay as tall as i can so the top spinners dnt feel as if there doing a huge lot and bat with bat and pad close together so they can't get through, and very few close fielders at our level will realisticly take sharp catches.

Why don't your Leg Spinners just pitch it and use different balls - Flippers and Top Spinners alongside their Leg Breaks?

generally the most important thing is to make sure you pick the spinner, especially if they are a leggie. If you can get to the pitch and don't let it spin do that otherwise try and play on the back foot with the turn and just pick the spinner off into the gaps. Take on a good spinner especially a good leggie who turns it and you'll most likely lose.

do not think. that is the easiest way to play any bowling.

all the points that have been said are really good points and should be used when batting in the nets or in a practice game or whatever, but when your actually out there get it out of your head. dont think about playing forward or back or footwork, just watch the ball and go with whatever happens to pop into your head. nothing can beat instinct, and everyone who has played even a few games will have it. believe that you can do it and just watch the ball, there is nothing else to it. talk to your partner about even the most random of things. slow the game down to the speed you want, spinners often try to unsettle you by getting through their overs quickly or slowly (i use this tactic a lot as a spinner) so face up when you are ready and put everything out of your mind but the ball. this will speed up your information processing ability, instead of your brain trying to rifle through all the information that you are supplying it, it instead only has to think of one thing. if you follow all the previously stated points in the nets and concentrate on them in practice, then soon you will be using them in a game without you even noticing that you are.

someblokecalleddave;344641 said:
Why don't your Leg Spinners just pitch it and use different balls - Flippers and Top Spinners alongside their Leg Breaks?

Because you get so far forward you can kill any movement or variation, remember no club spinner is going to be faster than 40-50 so you've got all day to get to it.

And they lose there length i think because alot of leggies want to see the ball break and turn and
a) find an edge
b)Beat the bat
and if the batsmen stopping it do that due to the stride they drag it down, which then usually doesnt let them put the revs on the ball and its a nice slow long hop to get rid of.

Get to the pitch of the ball. If it's too short rock onto the back foot and have a go. If he spins it a lot let it go. It's not impossible.

How do the subcontinetal players play spin, i know they use their wrist alot but what exactly makes them good players of spin, they even play legspinners with ease. Is it because at the last moment they play with the turn with their wrists? For example if a legspinner is bowling middle stump do they get to the pitch and use their wrists to guide the ball to the offside so they're playing witht he turn to the offside,just opening the face?

Boris;344659 said:
do not think. that is the easiest way to play any bowling.

all the points that have been said are really good points and should be used when batting in the nets or in a practice game or whatever, but when your actually out there get it out of your head. dont think about playing forward or back or footwork, just watch the ball and go with whatever happens to pop into your head. nothing can beat instinct, and everyone who has played even a few games will have it. believe that you can do it and just watch the ball, there is nothing else to it. talk to your partner about even the most random of things. slow the game down to the speed you want, spinners often try to unsettle you by getting through their overs quickly or slowly (i use this tactic a lot as a spinner) so face up when you are ready and put everything out of your mind but the ball. this will speed up your information processing ability, instead of your brain trying to rifle through all the information that you are supplying it, it instead only has to think of one thing. if you follow all the previously stated points in the nets and concentrate on them in practice, then soon you will be using them in a game without you even noticing that you are.

Nice one Boris you sound like a bloke with some experience in these matters, I like the point you've made about slowing the over down as I've noticed that my captain rattles through his overs at amazing speed when he's bowling (Chinaman) and in doing so kind of takes control over that batsman.

phil2oo8;344725 said:
Because you get so far forward you can kill any movement or variation, remember no club spinner is going to be faster than 40-50 so you've got all day to get to it.
QUOTE]

What if they then turn to bowling Top Spinners that dropping in under your nose but pitched up high above your eye-line - what then? Are you always going to go for slogging it or would you then play defensive strokes?

i never said slog, i'd get as far forward to defend because like i said if u kill the movement your less likly edge, but i did say i'd slog the long hop that usually follows, then the over pitched pie that follows the long hop.

So this then comes down to a war of attrition if both the batsman and the bowler dig in with tactics that create a stale mate? The outcome then would be dictated by the neccesity to either score runs or take wickets.

someblokecalleddave;344868 said:
So this then comes down to a war of attrition if both the batsman and the bowler dig in with tactics that create a stale mate? The outcome then would be dictated by the neccesity to either score runs or take wickets.

isn't that whats great about the game the contest between the bat and ball especially for us spinners as we have to think to get our wickets more than the fast men

someblokecalleddave;344853 said:
Nice one Boris you sound like a bloke with some experience in these matters, I like the point you've made about slowing the over down as I've noticed that my captain rattles through his overs at amazing speed when he's bowling (Chinaman) and in doing so kind of takes control over that batsman.

thanks. i do have quite a few seasons experience and i am studying physiological skill acquisition and have been applying it heavily to my cricket. hopefully i can help others who need to improve even the smallest elements of their game.

cricket is a hugely psychological game in that 3/4 of a win can be contributed to ones side being mentally stronger than the other. if you can make a batsman feel hurried and unprepared, then you give them a false feeling of pressure being put upon them. they begin to play rash shots thinking that they have to score quickly, or they are just not ready to face a ball altogether. this tactic may not work in a high pressure environment like the last 5-10 overs of a OD match where many runs must be scored. the batsman is already feeling pressure to face up and score quickly, so by bowling the overs quickly you may (depending on who and how the batsman plays) be helping the batsmans cause by giving them a boost mentally. slowing the play down is a handy thing to do in those high pressure overs, even if it is obviously done. you will see this done when you watch international teams play, they get together for little conferences, possibly talking about nothing relating to cricket. in these circumstances as a bowler or captain just walk over to one another and ask what the other is having for dinner, and make sure you keep a straight face.

of course this will not always work and should be changed depending on the batsman. remember to not go to slow though, slow overrates are annoying and killing the game.

from a batting point of view, you should recognise these tactics, watch the fielders and captain between overs, and then form your own. you yourself can slow down play for example by not facing up. as a fielder and bowler i find this frustrating when there is a batsman that is ruining my overrate by standing around wiping sweat of his forehead. keep your head clear and remain confident. play a shot in full, no dabbing at the ball. if you are going to block, then block. if you are going to drive, then drive to you full capabilities, not get half way through and dab at the ball. this does not mean you have to smash everything, you may want to play a little push to offside for a single, so do that. keep it simple. also find out if you work better with positive reinforcement or negative. for example when you muck up something do you get angry at yourself and 'punish' yourself by thinking: "i screwed that up, i have to do that and that to fix it because that was terrible", or do you correct yourself and think more optimistically by thinking: "if i change this i could do it better, but the rest was perfect and i did well"? both are perfectly fine, but they work differently for different individuals. work out which one improves your game and stick with it.

the only way to improve is by practicing correctly, so get your coach or other players to give a demonstration, and follow the tips everyone has given you on this thread and practice in the nets trying to run every single one of them through your mind and practice them one by one. then when you get out the middle clear your mind and think nothing but the ball, as i said before. the things you practiced will come out without you noticing that they are doing so, and that will build your confidence.

offspin - play front foot look to drive
legspin - play back foot all the time
easy as that
thats for a r/h bat and bowler

WK Batsman;350277 said:
easy as that

well that wouldnt work for my offies.:D
i love it when people look to drive my bowling, just add a little topspin and a doosra in there and you get yourself an edge.

WK Batsman;350277 said:
easy as that

I know a couple of leggies who would love to see you play back all the time too! Full pitched top spinner would be fun.

Back