how to bat for spin bowling

Re: how to bat for spin bowling

WK Batsman;350277 said:
offspin - play front foot look to drive
legspin - play back foot all the time
easy as that
thats for a r/h bat and bowler

Surely the bowler would just pitch the ball up right under your nose - Top-spinners and Flippers would have you almost trapped and playing in a really defensive manner? 2 or 3 overs like that in a 40 or 50 over match surely you're going to be looking to do something different?

With regards the 'Nothing beats practice' that doesn't ring true either because in the nets you're just going to throw caution to the wind and you're bowling against your mates who's bowling you know? You've got to admit if you're playing against a wrist spinner with 2 variations that he's got control over you're stuffed. You haven't got a chance. The only way you can bat for spin is ride your luck with your fingers crossed and if you are lucky pretend it had something to do with the way you bat, but we know the truth.

the idea in the nets is to go ahead and try the different things against bowlers you know. try batting with a different action, try a risky shot, try and pick the ball even if it means taking a big punt. thats what the nets are for. then for the last 10-20 minutes of your net session you play the ball on its merits as you would in a game. get different bowlers in and get them bowling 6 balls in a row to you then changing.
make sure you practice right though. practice is completely useless if you do it wrong. thats where a coach comes into play. and i meant practice as in experience out in the middle. the longer you are out there for the better.

you have to agree though, its better facing a spinner you know and might be able to pick in the nets then not face them at all until a game.
at club level there are few spinners capable of completely trouncing all batsman, and even if they are good the batsman can just stonewall. at that level there arent many spinners who can pull off something so great that they can get out a top order batsman committed to smothering the ball every time and not taking a single risk.
you are right about there being pretty much no way of playing a good spinner. just watch the ball. thats all there is to be done. with spinners there is too much time to think, so just don't.

I would have thought it's all footwork and watching, I would have thought. Oh, and if it can't bounce, it can't spin. That too.

i think this thread has just over complicated the art of batting against spin. we seem to have come up with more questions than answers.

I just thought I would throw in this advice from Don Bradman on moving out to drive spinners , he was prepared to go as much as 5 yards or more to get to the pitch of the slow bowlers. Next time you get a chance measure out 5 yards down a wicket and see how far that really is.

" When the ball is breaking off the pich to any extent the batsman needs to convert each delivery into at least a half volley or a short pitched ball .This can be done by either going forward down the pitch or by playing back.

A good length legbreak is , to my mind, the most difficult ball in cricket to play and it is essential to nullify the break as much as possible. A quick decision to move out of one's crease must be made and then carried out without hesitation.

May I impress upon the reader the importance of getting right to the pitch of the ball. If this is done one may go five yards or even more down the pitch with perfect safety. Half way is useless, and , in some cases, one may get in trouble moving a yard, whereas two yards might have been right.

Do not be afraid to use your feet, nothing demoralises a slow bowler faster than a quick footed batsman"...Don Bradman.

WK Batsman;350277 said:
offspin - play front foot look to drive
legspin - play back foot all the time
easy as that
thats for a r/h bat and bowler
I play em the opposite and that works out, unless its a leg spinner with lots of flight and bounce, but any leggie is easy to play

With Leggies/Chinamen I tend to either try and get right forward to smother the spin or play right back to gauge the delivery.

I don't sweep because the one time I tried it in a game it didn't end well :D

I love the slog sweep, will play it all day long, can be a bit of trouble on larger grounds though :p

i use a sort of unorthodox shot when having to lift the run rate against spinners.

its a pull/sweep, where i play a pull shot pivoting on my back foot off of a fuller pitched delivery, but i get down to the height of a sweep.

very unconventional, i know, and its hard to explain but just try do it yourselves. i only use it when going into the more slogging mode and lifting the run rate. i like it cause the ball stays along the carpet but flies off the bat, and i can keep my eyes above the ball the whole time while playing a cross batted pull (my favourite and most useful shot).
i like making sure it is pitched fairly well down leg though, and since my front foot batting isnt anywhere near as strong as my backfoot i seem to have invented shots that allow me to play backfoot as much as possible.

i dont really recommend it though, i get out LBW a lot when playing a leg glance off the front foot or whatever, but these little back foot inventions allow me to smash some balls around in an unorthodox fashion.

Boris;351953 said:
i use a sort of unorthodox shot when having to lift the run rate against spinners.

its a pull/sweep, where i play a pull shot pivoting on my back foot off of a fuller pitched delivery, but i get down to the height of a sweep.

Sounds a bit like the shot I attempted but with a bit more force.. All I heard was the death rattle :eek::D

Kram81;351974 said:
Sounds a bit like the shot I attempted but with a bit more force.. All I heard was the death rattle :eek::D

hahahaha. sorry to hear that. kinda.

like i said, completely unorthodox and i dont recommend it. i have mastered being able to play a pull shot to any ball except the yorker. doesnt work everytime though...

i remember one i played i stepped about half a metre outside off stump to get the ball to my legside, then played a late pull very fine for six. i was proud of that one. also my random ability to play a cover drive to anything, even a short pitched one into my ribs i can manage to play an effective cover drive to. i'm not sure these are good things though... i've gotten out quite a few times attempting them. :D

eddiesmith;351765 said:
I play em the opposite and that works out, unless its a leg spinner with lots of flight and bounce, but any leggie is easy to play

Yeah that's what the bloke that was facing me this weekend thought saying to the umpire 'Man this is s**t bowling' guess what he was gone the next ball top edged out to cover I walked off the pitch after my spell of 5 overs having taken 4 for 32 runs. It's a lost cause batting against spin just look at the T-20 series here in England at the minute even the South Africans have a spin bowler.

Boris;351975 said:
hahahaha. sorry to hear that. kinda.

like i said, completely unorthodox and i dont recommend it. i have mastered being able to play a pull shot to any ball except the yorker. doesnt work everytime though...

i remember one i played i stepped about half a metre outside off stump to get the ball to my legside, then played a late pull very fine for six. i was proud of that one. also my random ability to play a cover drive to anything, even a short pitched one into my ribs i can manage to play an effective cover drive to. i'm not sure these are good things though... i've gotten out quite a few times attempting them. :D

All the spinner needs to do is throw up a sequence of regular leg breaks draw you in to using your sweep shot or cut shot or anything giving you the impression that you're on a roll and then just do something different a wrong un would work well if you're coming right over across the stumps or a flipper.

someblokecalleddave;353105 said:
Yeah that's what the bloke that was facing me this weekend thought saying to the umpire 'Man this is s**t bowling' guess what he was gone the next ball top edged out to cover I walked off the pitch after my spell of 5 overs having taken 4 for 32 runs. It's a lost cause batting against spin just look at the T-20 series here in England at the minute even the South Africans have a spin bowler.
Shit batsman to be caught at cover off a leggie

Spin is easy to play in other forms as you can get plenty of runs off them, they are more effective in the shorter form as their is alot more need to hit lots of runs off them the batsmen get themselves out and in the World T20 they are helped that the pitches are getting slower every match

someblokecalleddave;353106 said:
All the spinner needs to do is throw up a sequence of regular leg breaks draw you in to using your sweep shot or cut shot or anything giving you the impression that you're on a roll and then just do something different a wrong un would work well if you're coming right over across the stumps or a flipper.

getting me out is nothing to be proud of :p. i am very inconsistent in that i scored 2* (3), 8 (4), 10* (56)(i hung around at no.10 after the top order collapsed, but i didnt prove much help with the run situation), 19 (12), 7 (3), 12* (5), 0 (3) and 54 (54)(i was extremely proud of my first 50 ever). i play a large array of shots from the first ball and normally i hit a couple of 4s of my first 5 or so balls, then get out. or i hang around leaving and blocking for ages, then go crazy and score lots of runs, like my 54. or get out or run out of time like my 10* (56) before going crazy. i am a good player of spin though, and although it sounds like it i do have a sound technique and although i am sure a good leggie could get me out every time, i could hold my end if i get over my need for fast runs.

i find as a spinner myself that if a batsman is composed they are very hard to get out. spinners dont have that much effect if they are, there arent many spinners capable of completely mesmirising a good top order player content on blocking. a spinner has to first show that there are some variations to be had and maybe do what you said dave, let them have a few boundaries to get their confidence up and get them playing shots they shouldnt be. spinning is all about the mind games you play with the batsman, like i said if a batsman has a clear and concise mindset they are very very hard to get out as a spinner, but the good thing is there are few batsman who could maintain a mindset as such against good spin bowling. pace bowling is making the batsman fear for their body, spin bowling is hurting a batsmans feelings.
so as a batsman keep a clear and concise goal in your head as to what you want to do when facing a particular spin bowler. if you are uncomfortable with ones bowling and you have the time, just sit on him and be confident of your batting and leaving abilities.

Yeah I give you that, if it's not required that you score runs you just dig in and play defensively, but that's okay surely we just keep plugging at it and keep the run rate down. At club level in 40 overs matches there's always going to be a need to make runs?

Yes but at any level that 1-2 bad balls an over average over the spell gives the batsman all they need if they are good enough to take advantage and often some easy singles out to the deep, you can keep the scoreboard ticking over

yeah at club level there arent too many spinners who can land the ball on a dot ball after ball, so if you sit on them and get singles off their bad balls, then go for another part time bowler or something a little more in other overs you can cover for the lack of runs coming out of those overs. it does mean the spinner wins though, and as a spinner myself i either like batsman really going for it as it means easy wickets, or i like them really defensive, because it means im very economical, plus a lot of batsman lose concentration when batting and dont read a top spinner or my big turner.

Back