how to get extra spin?

Re: how to get extra spin?

i'm sure others will have more to say than me, but alot of it is pitch dependant.

i can spin on most pitches but this mainly comes down to how many revs (revolutions) i put on the ball! the more revs the more spin! (generally) But on a good spinners pitch its easy to spin it too much!

what would you describe your leg spin action as?

Re: how to get extra spin?

yeah most of it is to do with the amount of revs you can put on the ball, technically the largest leg spinner you can bowl is one that has the seam directly horizontal as it leaves your hand, the problem with this is on alot of surfaces this leg break will not grip and just go straight on.

The standard leg break to get turn of any surface would be a 45 degree seam facing to the slips so it has top spin and leg spin to makes it grip, adding back spin will also get you more spin on drier wickets but isn't that effective on other wickets.

As said earlier as well aiming for rough patches on the pitch also helps

recently i played a match where the pitch had grass.hard to turn.2nd day there were some grey patches as rough patches that gave spin.it s not the pitch its the revs.nice reply by gundalf7

Yeah revs is the most important, the more revs you give it the greater the chance that the other factors will come into play in a more dramatic manner. But getting the revs on the ball is not just a finger and wrist thing, it's a whole body thing and quite complex when you start to deconstruct it.

Experiment with different ways to impart more revolutions on the ball, I found I wasn't getting as much but change to approaching the wicket with my normal grip but palm facing upwards rather than down (which is what i was doing) it allowed an extra 180 degrees in my wrist every ball.

Hi Guys, I am sorry to post my question as a reply to this thread. The forum isn't allowing me to start a new thread.

I do leg spin bowling since when I was a 10 years old. I grip the ball quite un-orthodaxily, like using my thumb, index finger, and the second finger. I get a lot of spin this way, I have tried so much on gripping the ball using the shane warne/richie way, but I never get spin. So I have decided to stick to my childhood way :).

Now, as I said, my leg break spins 2+ feet, and is really un-playable by many batsmen. Now my weakness is, the ball turns to the left side and doesn't move to the wicket, so if the batsman dance down the wicket, he misses the ball because of the big spin, but the keeper also misses it :(

What are your guys opinions on this? Shall I start from basics and learn shane warne way of gripping the ball or shall I stick to my own way? If I stick to my own way, how do I improve my line/length and spin the ball so it goes more upwards (a bit more pace).

I'm sorry again for posting this question in this thread.

Looking forward to hear from you guys.

Crazy Leg spinner :)

Hi Guys, I am sorry to post my question as a reply to this thread. The forum isn't allowing me to start a new thread.

I do leg spin bowling since when I was a 10 years old. I grip the ball quite un-orthodaxily, like using my thumb, index finger, and the second finger. I get a lot of spin this way, I have tried so much on gripping the ball using the shane warne/richie way, but I never get spin. So I have decided to stick to my childhood way :).

Now, as I said, my leg break spins 2+ feet, and is really un-playable by many batsmen. Now my weakness is, the ball turns to the left side and doesn't move to the wicket, so if the batsman dance down the wicket, he misses the ball because of the big spin, but the keeper also misses it :(

What are your guys opinions on this? Shall I start from basics and learn shane warne way of gripping the ball or shall I stick to my own way? If I stick to my own way, how do I improve my line/length and spin the ball so it goes more upwards (a bit more pace).

I'm sorry again for posting this question in this thread.

Looking forward to hear from you guys.

Crazy Leg spinner :)

1) Find a better keeper.

2) Stick to your own way. If you can turn it that much and pitch it up on a line and length you must be very difficult to play.

first of all stick with your method, i grip the ball a similar way there is no problem with your grip if you are bowling well and turning the ball. Its hard to tell without a video what is wrong regards pace and flight of the ball, most likely if your getting that amount of turn and not getting much flight you are bowling with nearly exclusively sidespin. You maybe able to solve this by getting your wrist to come over the top of the ball more like you would to bowl a topspinner so the seam is more pointed to where slip would be, which may help you with a loopier trajectory as well. The only way to improve your line and length as long as your action is solid is to practice, you can't be an accurate leg spinner unless you put the practice in.

first of all stick with your method, i grip the ball a similar way there is no problem with your grip if you are bowling well and turning the ball. Its hard to tell without a video what is wrong regards pace and flight of the ball, most likely if your getting that amount of turn and not getting much flight you are bowling with nearly exclusively sidespin. You maybe able to solve this by getting your wrist to come over the top of the ball more like you would to bowl a topspinner so the seam is more pointed to where slip would be, which may help you with a loopier trajectory as well. The only way to improve your line and length as long as your action is solid is to practice, you can't be an accurate leg spinner unless you put the practice in.
J

Mubarak Zeb...

Just seen your message on Youtube and I'm with Gundaf on this. In Peter Philpotts books he says that if your technique is unorthodox it doesn't matter if you're getting the ball to spin hard and turn off the wicket - stick with that technique, especially if you're taking wickets and causing the batsman problems. The other thing Philpott and all of the great spinners say is to practice, practice and practice and then once you've done all that practice again. 6 years I've been bowling wrist spin and I'm still very much a learner. Not being totally clear on how you hold the ball (A picture or vid would be good) the obvious solution would be as Gandulf says, just move your wrist a little to get the Top-Spin?

Hi Guys, Thanks for the feedback, here is a video of my action:

Mate you do what I used to do! I've just this second come over from my own little forum where I was talking to Leftie about it saying that it used to work for me really well, had the best strike rate in the club that year shared with another bloke, since changing the action and working on it, I'm nowhere near as affective. But the thing you do that I used to do is that little skip just as you come to the crease, I think Titch Freeman used to bowl like it. But it's supposedly bad for you physically in the longer run and to some extent ineffective? But, if it works, keep doing it, just work on getting your wrist round for the top-spinner? It looks like you're in the UK - what part of the country are you in and what level are you playing at?

Hi Dave, Thanks for the feedback. If Titch Freeman can get 3,000+ wickets with the skip, let me keep doing it then ;)! Joking!. I think it will be very hard for me to make changes to my action, this is my biggest weakness :(. But I am trying my best looking at some threads here.

PS: I am based in Luton, Bedfordshire. I come to nets every Sunday to University of Hertfordshire, and some times to Redbourne, Hertfordshire (Choice Cricket).

Hi Dave, Thanks for the feedback. If Titch Freeman can get 3,000+ wickets with the skip, let me keep doing it then ;)! Joking!. I think it will be very hard for me to make changes to my action, this is my biggest weakness :(. But I am trying my best looking at some threads here.

PS: I am based in Luton, Bedfordshire. I come to nets every Sunday to University of Hertfordshire, and some times to Redbourne, Hertfordshire (Choice Cricket).

Mubarak, Did you play in a team last season - how did you do?

Yes I did, It was a division 7 team. I played very well @ 35 Average. My flipper was very successful. Some time I was a bit expensive. Though, I used to have problems with my pace, and I am still having problem with it, I am bowling a bit slow. This is the main reason why I am after improving my action to improve accuracy and pace. Thanks!

Yes I did, It was a division 7 team. I played very well @ 35 Average. My flipper was very successful. Some time I was a bit expensive. Though, I used to have problems with my pace, and I am still having problem with it, I am bowling a bit slow. This is the main reason why I am after improving my action to improve accuracy and pace. Thanks!

Good luck to you in the new season, keep us informed as to how you get on! I'm hoping to do better this season myself and I'll be sure to let you know as the season goes on.

Fingers crossed :)!! Also, would you mind sharing your Google Talk, Skype or even a mobile phone number via Private message, its good to have a chat when you have time :)

Mate you do what I used to do! I've just this second come over from my own little forum where I was talking to Leftie about it saying that it used to work for me really well, had the best strike rate in the club that year shared with another bloke, since changing the action and working on it, I'm nowhere near as affective. But the thing you do that I used to do is that little skip just as you come to the crease, I think Titch Freeman used to bowl like it. But it's supposedly bad for you physically in the longer run and to some extent ineffective? But, if it works, keep doing it, just work on getting your wrist round for the top-spinner? It looks like you're in the UK - what part of the country are you in and what level are you playing at?

as Dave said the little skip as he describes it does limit the momentum you carry to and through the crease as your effectively just got the energy of a single step which won't get the ball down the other end as efficiently as you could(unless your built like warne). Other than that your action looks pretty solid, you could probably use your front arm slightly more as well.

Back