Icc World Cup 2011

England Vs Sri Lanka will be the most engrossing quarter final clash. I feel, England have the edge. England have that very good seamer Tim Bresnan, and the off spinner Swann. It will be interesting to see how the Lankan Lions face these two bowlers. The England batting is better than their Sri Lankan counterpart. Also, how will the pitch help Murali at Colombo?

To look at New Zealand Vs South Africa, the two teams are very similar in their make up, except that South Africa has one or two more spinners than New Zealand. South Africa, perhaps, have fewer all-rounders than New Zealand. New Zealand Have Vettori, Styris, and Oram, not to forget Franklin. I wouldn't put one team before or after the other.

Thank god we're finally down to the big finals after playing games for over a month to work out that the best 8 teams are the Test nations minus Bangladesh... Hopefully tonights contest lives up to expectations although Pakistan and West Indies whilst often entertaining are 2 very unpredictable sides, I guess you would probably have to go Pakistan with the local support.

A few changes for the WI with Chris Gayle, Roach and Chanderpaul replacing Edwards, Benn and Andre Russell.

Only change for Pakistan is Saeed Ajmal coming in for Rehman.

Damn.. Umar Gul gets Gayle caught at mid-off for only 8, massive strike for Pakistan to get the big man out so cheaply.

*edit WI in some massive trouble with Hafeez picking up a couple of LBWs, 3 for 16. Big opportunity for the experienced Chanderpaul to find some runs.

Well this is looking like a fizzer with the Windies collapsing to 6 for 69, very disappointing and they will be doing very well from stopping the game turning into a complete rout.

*edit and another one goes once again plumb LBW to a spinner.

*edit and another...

Australia have little hope of over coming India. The best thing going for them at the moment is that India are under so much expectation from the home crowd that it is enough to sink any team. Should we fluke this win we might have a chance.

Bigest question is how did England make the eight, another good reason to make it a final six, they were wowfull through the prelims.

It seems that this World Cup is essentially characterised by just about everybody collapsing. After this first farce of a quarter-final, the other teams will perhaps be putting a fair bit of focus on their middle orders. Really, if one is going to collapse, at least do so due to great bowling; that has hardly happened during this World Cup, and certainly not today. Especially when it happens in the first innings, there's really nothing much to see in the second when it comes to bowling, and things in general become rather dull. If the bowling makes the match close in such a second innings, it's generally because the batting's been done badly, because, really, when the target is as small as it has been sometimes there's not much reason to lose ten wickets.

The first quarter final was certainly not a farce. If India beat Australia similarly, and If I have to come home before, or a little after fifteen overs, if I am watching the World Cup at the stadium, then I will not mind. In fact, I will be mightily happy. Let us say, that Pakistan were better than the Windies, who did a reverse act on the Pakistan team. But, the batting and fielding of Pakistan is the weakest among the quarter finalists. I must say this, despite the poor exhibition of the Windies. If India play at Mohali, then Nehra and Zaheer Khan will be a daunting prospect, as will RaviKumar Ashwin. Harbhajan will line up to bowl, as will Afridi, because of the supposed bouncy nature of the Mohali pitch. Will Pakistan play the spinners across the line, and hence be in a precarious situation? Will India find themselves in trouble, too? All these are hypothetical questions, before the day ends tomorrow.

Steven Smith out for David Hussey, good move to strengthen the batting.

Australia win the toss and Ponting doesn't hesitate to bat. Let's go lads.

Massive blow to get Haddin for 53 was looking good. The 2 captains in now need to keep things moving, big opportunity for Ponting to take charge.

Big wicket to get M.Hussey, but plenty of batting to still to come almost right down to 10 and Ponting looking pretty good, has to go on and anchor this innings.

These Indians have really lifted their fielding in the last year or two. If India win tonight I don't care how they bat or bowl, the fielding will be the most memorable thing for me.

Ponting looking very good and comfortable. Everything is hitting the middle and looks like he's never been out of form. There's just something about India and big matches for him obviously. So long as he can go on...

From the few balls so far White has face he also looks a lot better. Makes me think this must be a very good batting pitch. In which case the Indian batting line up will be stronger than usual, which isn't a good thing for the Aussies.

From the few balls so far White has face he also looks a lot better. Makes me think this must be a very good batting pitch.

You reckon?? he seems all at sea from what I've seen. Anyway big chance for him here to find form here plus Ponting going well 270+ would be nice and defendable if Australia bowl well.

You reckon?? he seems all at sea from what I've seen. Anyway big chance for him here to find form and Ponting going well 270+ would be nice and defendable if Australia bowl well.
Yeah, I commented after his first six balls which looked alright, but now he seems a bit all over the shop.

White has always looked like that at the start of his innings though. That's been my little pet hate about him is that he looks like a tail ender with a good eye, and then when he's out of form he looks like a tail ender with a bad eye.

The commentators are calling it a hard pitch to bat on, which it may be by sub continent standards, but yes I agree 270 is what they have to be aiming for.

One thing's for sure, LtD just peed his pants.

That's how you prove your critics wrong. One of the best innings I've seen. Take a bow Mr Ponting

This should be a very good game with the ever strong batting of India to go up against the in form bowling of Australia with a defendable total behind them. Good performance from D.Hussey to get them there.

I hate time zones.Not sure I could get through work tomorrow with only a couple hours sleep...

Its nice that we are in the Semi Final.
After 12 years, world will see a new World Champion.
This will lead to the dramatic Semi Final between India vs Pakistan.

Really feel sorry for Ponting. A great Player and a good Captain. The way he has been criticized for the last few months is unbelievable.Wish him a good luck though.

No real surprises that Australia lost althought I thought they were still a chance to topple India.

Its nice that we are in the Semi Final.
After 12 years, world will see a new World Champion.
This will lead to the dramatic Semi Final between India vs Pakistan.

Really feel sorry for Ponting. A great Player and a good Captain. The way he has been criticized for the last few months is unbelievable.Wish him a good luck though.

How so? He's been out of form for at least a year and has shown that he is struggling at the elite level. One innings won't change that.

Back